• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

220° Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War $300 Collector’s Edition Revealed

People buy high end collectable figurines at this price point and above all the time. Is there a stigma attached to that? If people are big LOTR fans and like the merchandise I don't see the problem in offering it.
High end collectibles are from high end manufacturers. Video game statues tend to not have the same quality control.

Miletius

really? I would have assumed that Tolkein mega fans would sneer at this type of non-canon stuff (the games, that is) that runs counter to everything Tolkein believed in. Hell, some of them still have a hard time coming around with the Peter Jackson films.

I'm sure there is some sort of factionalism within the fandom which would cause some people to reject it. Overall, however, I imagine the call of more LoTR related stuff outweighs most quibbles that they may have with the game.

Flux

Anything Lord of the Rings related is preyed upon by collectors. Just like Star Wars. I think there is absurdly expensive Blu ray set of the trilogy plus the hobbit in a neat box that is $900 MSRP and all scooped up.

Hjod

Banned
I have a friend that pre-ordered this edition, he never played the first game, he loves his CEs though.

Mechazawa

really? I would have assumed that Tolkein mega fans would sneer at this type of non-canon stuff (the games, that is) that runs counter to everything Tolkein believed in. Hell, some of them still have a hard time coming around with the Peter Jackson films.

If Edmond Dantes can be assed to emerge from his crypt and talk about a video game for a couple of weeks because it's tangentially related to LotR, there's no doubt in my mind that more casual fans with an affinity for Plastic Garbage would get roped in.

Probably not but this image says it is.

mithrilgzu1r.jpg

can't be litteral bronze. Too much details, would weight a ton, would cost more.

I bet here bronze just mean it's bronze painted, meaning they won't even bother paint colors and details it will just be shades of shiny brown...

rockyt

can't be litteral bronze. Too much details, would weight a ton, would cost more.

I bet here bronze just mean it's bronze painted, meaning they won't even bother paint colors and details it will just be shades of shiny brown...

This is actually what I'm thinking as well. Actual bronze especially is very heavy and the more detail that goes into it the more it will cost.

Orpheum

woah...calm down there WB. Like...i'm a big fan of the first game, but did it do actually this good that they are confident enough this will sell??? 300 bucks is a lot of goddamn cash

SentryDown

Am I crazy if I think this map might be the actual map of the game ? If they intend on keeping locations shown in the trailer, they already have quite a long way from Minas Morgul to Barad Dur. Include Durn & Sea of Nurnen from the first game to make it square and you have something huge. Obviously wouldn't be the same scale as the first one but I mean, if you decide to go non canon and to revolve the game around capturing stronghold, why not use the best landmarks around ?

Am I crazy if I think this map might be the actual map of the game ? If they intend on keeping locations shown in the trailer, they already have quite a long way from Minas Morgul to Barad Dur. Include Durn & Sea of Nurnen from the first game to make it square and you have something huge. Obviously wouldn't be the same scale as the first one but I mean, if you decide to go non canon and to revolve the game around capturing stronghold, why not use the best landmarks around ?

I was just about to ask if anyone has managed to find a high res image of this, so we can analyse the map. It kinda looks like Osgiliath might be in the game.

Yeah, Tolkien would have definitely been disgusted with the level of gratuitous, glorified violence in Peter Jackson's movies, let alone Shadow of Mordor.

I still love the LotR trilogy though.

I love the films, but at least they generally follow the canon. This is just... No.

Branduil

“There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's a really nice statue, but what the hell man. They can't expect many people to pay that sort of premium.

SPCTRE

Finally, an honest-to-goodness cloth map. The ole staple of collector's editions.

rudds will be very happy I'd wager

SentryDown

I was just about to ask if anyone has managed to find a high res image of this, so we can analyse the map. It kinda looks like Osgiliath might be in the game.

There isn't any bigger resolution image unfortunately.

Here's my take on this, the cloth map isn't too hard to analyse, the second one (from Polygon article) is more difficult though. For some reason, they reversed it, probably just to make the picture look better. It shows mostly the same thing, the cloth map has more things at the bottom though.

dxXPK6y.png

Now the big question is : how much of this is actually in the game ? The two "blue" landmarks toward east aren't from Tolkien. IMO, these will be in the game, it makes no sense to put them on the map otherwise (most maps of the Mordor you find online leave blanks there).

Moreover, the trailer shows a city built on a mountain, some people online assume it might be Osgiliath but it probably isn't, might be one of my "blue" cities then. Anyway, excited to see more.

I'm big into the CE's - but does anyone have any more detail on whom is making that statue?

The last WB CE I bought was Batman - It was the Dark Knight standing over the city.. The quality on that is horrid. So I have a little bit of reluctance.

I would probably be happy to buy it, if its the same quality as that of the Witcher 3 one.

Top Bottom