• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Support : could it have a influence on which Next Gen Console you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No console games will support 4k, we will be lucky if they do 1080p.

Many 2D games can run 1080p at 60fps. There is no reason that they wouldn't be able to do that with 4k.

Its 2K on every PS3, so 4 ps3s would make it 8K.
xqy3i.jpg

zoukka

There are graphs of the distances and whether you can see the difference in pixel densities people. Check those out and figure out how big of a TV you need to gain anything from 4k.

onQ123

We still don't get 1080p broadcast in 2012. Are people really so optimistic to think we'll be at 8K in eight years?

1IHBE.png

I mean, it would be terrific if it happened. But I don't believe it for a second.

I wasn't saying that it would be 8K in everyone's home I was just saying that the broadcasting was starting in 2020.

twofold

There are graphs of the distances and whether you can see the difference in pixel densities people. Check those out and figure out how big of a TV you need to gain anything from 4k.

You have to sit 5 feet away from an 85" 4k set to fully resolve the pixels. Obviously, if the tv set is smaller, you'd need to sit even closer.

Edit - For a 50" set, you need to be sat 3ft away. Incidentally, to be able to fully resolve 1080p, you need to be sat 7ft away. So, if you're sitting further than 7ft away from a 50" tv, you're not getting the full resolution benefit of 1080p. This is assuming you have 20/20 vision.

4k would allow me to get a larger TV, without a drop in DPI, which is what I want.

GavinGT

Banned
You have to sit 5 feet away from an 85" 4k set to fully resolve the pixels.

This would be awkward enough for one or two people watching simultaneously. Imagine an entire family trying to do this.

It's just not practical for most people's wallets, living rooms, or sensibilities.

RiverBed

Banned
Since there seems to be some misconceptions on the subject:

http://i.imgur.com/tphSm.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I never understood these pictures showing size (aside from SD not having wide screen). I'd rather see a pic comparison between 1080p and 4k, like this:
[IMG]http://hometheaterreview.com/images/4K-1080P-COMP.jpg
Not that big a difference for me. I would've thought this is 1080 vs 720...

I am disappointed that the next leap in res is only x4. The last jump was x6-10.

RedSwirl

Is there any chance that next gen systems could run 4K ports of PS2 or older games? I think it'd be kind of nice if you had the choice to run and display in 4K, or run in 4K and downsample to 1080p TVs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4K resolution?
To play what Pong?

These machines arent going to be anywhere near powerful enough to point-fully support 4K.
What are we gonna get 4K slideshows, 4K facebook, Watch 4K movies on my 2560x1440 screen OK sure why not....will it influence my decision on which machine to buy?
Absolutely not.

We know none of the games will run at 4K cept for the really really really ugly ones which the resolution cant even save them so really whats the point.

Id rather have 1920x1080@60 with all the bells and whistles.
Or 2560x1440@30 with the bells and whistles.
Than 4096x2304@30 with none of the bells and whistles.

P.S Im about 30% sure both consoles will support 4K resolution but will have very very few applications that actually use the resolution.
Im guessing Microsoft will have Bing image search and Youtube support 4K resolutions, but games.....not a chance.

I never understood these pictures showing size (aside from SD not having wide screen). I'd rather see a pic comparison between 1080p and 4k, like this:
4K-1080P-COMP.jpg

I am disappointed that the next leap in res is only x4. The last jump was x6-10.

Haha that pictures is a thousand times worse than the size comparison pictures.
Thats two downsampled pictures at not anywhere near the screen size someone would actually use those resolutions.....horrible horrible picture.
It actually looks like someone took a picture of two screens not even real screen caps.
Come on son, you gotta try harder.

even though it won't be true 4K rez, and will instead be upscaled from 1080p I absolutely would choose a 4k equipped machine over one that wasn't.

GavinGT

Banned
I never understood these pictures showing size (aside from SD not having wide screen). I'd rather see a pic comparison between 1080p and 4k.

More pixels means more space to draw things on the screen. Say you owned a store and you had 6 SD security cameras and wanted them all streamed to a single HDTV. All 6 SD signals could fit on the one HDTV screen in their original resolutions, since the HDTV has about 6 times as much room for drawing things.

I wasn't saying that it would be 8K in everyone's home I was just saying that the broadcasting was starting in 2020.
That's what broadcast is though. When it's available for a wide audience's use.

4K-1080P-COMP.jpg

Unless you are looking at a 4K TV, you aren't going to see the difference. Two tiny, scaled images are not an accurate representation of the difference.

thuway

We are on the verge of some AMAZING breakthroughs in technology. GAF look into my crystal ball-

1. By 2020, we could have GPU's that are up to 1000x MORE POWERFUL than what we currently have. - http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/new-glue-could.php

2. Your entire wall will be a giant display thanks to Samsung's flexible OLED technology. Imagine this screen used as a WALLPAPER in your home. It will cost virtually as much as wallpaper once mass production kicks in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2nG9qy6vs

3. The Oculus Rift / Google Glasses will spark a revolution where we become a HMD society. Everything will be wireless, connected, and at speeds 100X what we have thanks to Google Fiber.

Combine that, with the inevitable 8k resolution... PS4/720 are slowly becoming jokes.

ascii42

4K-1080P-COMP.jpg

Pic comparison won't really do you any good, unless you are viewing it on a 4k television.

If one of the Next Gen Consoles has support for 4K games & the others don't could it have a effect on which console you buy Next Gen?

I know your 1st thought is "No 4K TVs cost like $30,000 & I don't need it & you can't see the difference on a normal size TV" but in 2005 the same was being said about 1080P now we have people wishing more games was in 1080P on the HD Consoles & PC Gamers point & laugh at 720P games, & also I noticed in just the last few weeks that 4K is the new buzz word & companies have been showing off lots of 4K TVs & even 8K prototypes so by the 2nd & 3rd year of the Next Gen Console cycle 4K TVs will be everywhere & there might not be any new consoles for the next 8 years so 4K might be a bigger deal than we think.

& on a weird but true note could it also influence you to buy the console without 4K support because you feel like you will not be able to enjoy the 4K Console to it's fullest potential because you don't plan to buy a 4K TV so you would rather have the console that you can enjoy to it's fullest potential?

Read only the bolded text.

Of course.

RealMeat

Banned
If all of it's games ran in 4K at 60 fps? Heck yes. If the vast majority ran at a fraction of that (like the PS3 and 1080p)? No.

Black_Stride

So how will you people feel in 2016 when the iPad 5 is playing games in 4K & your Console is stuck at 1080P?

My PC will still be raping the shit out of both so i wouldnt feel like anything.

My buddies iPad can play games at 2048x1536 when my consoles are struggling to push 1280x720
How do i feel......Okay cuz my PC plays games 2560x1440@60 with all the bells and whistles.

Consoles will eventually lag behind, its an inconvenient truth.
Even if the PS4 has a 7970 inside in two years the 9 series will be spanking the 7970 for fun.
in five years....fuck.

hachi

Banned
So how will you people feel in 2016 when the iPad 5 is playing games in 4K & your Console is stuck at 1080P?

...4k on an iPad?

Isn't the whole "retina" naming for the resolution on current iOS devices aimed squarely at the notion that they've just about the reached the upper limit of your eyes? At the current size of the iPad's screen, you can't go much higher than they already have and still possibly see any difference.

Increased resolution will no longer be the selling point on future iOS products; they're nearly at the limit already. 4K is rather irrelevant for portable devices of any kind.

sangreal

if the TV networks and cable companies suddenly decide to offer 4k (lol!) then I will buy a 4k tv and yes I would care about 4k support in my console

Theonik

No because:
1. The number of games supporting it will be low especially at first.
2. All consoles will probably support it though patching by the end.
3. I won't have a 4k TV for a while.
4. When I do have a 4k TV it won't be an issue like 720p/1080p was since the scaling is even.

Black_Stride

If all of it's games ran in 4K at 60 fps? Heck yes. If the vast majority ran at a fraction of that (like the PS3 and 1080p)? No.

You cant even do that with a range Gaming PC, you really think the PS4 will be able to pull that off, unless we take a break from graphical advances and focus purely on resolution.

Ofcourse it probably could if it was running Pong but if we are talking about more visually attractive games not one will run at 4K let alone 4K@60

onQ123

...4k on an iPad?

Isn't the whole "retina" naming for the resolution on current iOS devices aimed squarely at the notion that they've just about the reached the upper limit of your eyes? At the current size of the iPad's screen, you can't go much higher than they already have and still possibly see any difference.

Increased resolution will no longer be the selling point on future iOS products; they're nearly at the limit already. 4K is rather irrelevant for portable devices of any kind.

But do you think that will stop them from going 4K just to use it as a selling point?

Jhriad

Will it influence what console I buy next gen? No. The games are what matter and they won't be in that resolution anyway. If the games I want to play are on a device without support for 4k I won't blink an eye in purchasing it.

Would it be nice to have? Of course. My PS3 is my primary gaming device in addition to being the primary general entertainment device so it'd be nice if, as it almost certainly will, the PS4 supports outputting the higher resolution.

gcubed

But do you think that will stop them from going 4K just to use it as a selling point?

yes, because the selling point of something imperceptible will have a negative perceivable affect on everything else. Mainly a struggling mobile GPU causing heat and battery life issues

Sky Chief

I can't wait until 4K becomes affordable.

I used to think that 1080p looked perfect, now I think it looks just OK there is lots of room for improvement in IQ (and broadcast HD looks like shit).

I do sit really close to my TV though.

Good bit of PR, Sony saying ps4 will support 4k, its made people think they're talking about 4k resolution in games even though they most certainly aren't.

No, no games will support it, TVs will be stupid expensive and you'll need a stupidly massive one to take advantage of it. Anyone who banks heavily on uptake is going to lose in the next generation.

Maybe the generation after that I'll care, but til then...

Theonik

Good bit of PR, Sony saying ps4 will support 4k, its made people think they're talking about 4k resolution in games even though they most certainly aren't.

No, no games will support it, TVs will be stupid expensive and you'll need a stupidly massive one to take advantage of it. Anyone who banks heavily on uptake is going to lose in the next generation.

Maybe the generation after that I'll care, but til then...
I think saying NO GAME will support it is a bit pre-emptive. There will probably be a small minority of 4k games next gen. Like there are 1080p games like Rayman: Origins and the Pixeljunk games this gen.
Edit: Then again 720p to 1080p is ~2x increase in resolution while 1080p to 2160p is a 4x gap so the performance hit should be more substantial.

Sky Chief

But viewing distance is usually fixed, people won't suddenly move their couches closer to their TVs because they got a higher resolution TV.

Yeah but as TV technology improves people keep buying bigger and bigger screens which has the same effect

Lynn616

4k could influence my choice of next gen console if the follow is true.

1.) The console would have to be powerful enough to run 4k resolution for next gen games like Call of Duty, Bioshock, Uncharted , Red Dead, Gears of War or Dead Space. Not just a few sports games and games like Echochrome.

2.) 4k TVs will need to be $1500 or less.

If yes to both then I will be influenced. If no to either then the answer is no way.

GavinGT

Banned
4k could influence my choice of next gen console if the follow is true.

1.) The console would have to be powerful enough to run 4k resolution for next gen games like Call of Duty, Bioshock, Uncharted , Red Dead, Gears of War or Dead Space. Not just a few sports games and games like Echochrome.

2.) 4k TVs will need to be $1500 or less.

If yes to both then I will be influenced. If no to either then the answer is no way.

Even if these both came true, there's no chance of games like those targeting 4k resolution. It would require significantly larger investments in art assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom