• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Support : could it have a influence on which Next Gen Console you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think saying NO GAME will support it is a bit pre-emptive. There will probably be a small minority of 4k games next gen. Like there are 1080p games like Rayman: Origins and the Pixeljunk games this gen.

Exactly... there were 1080i games on the FIRST XBOX! Wow... how arrogant/douchy of MS to support such worthless resolutions in 2001???

Even if these both came true, there's no chance of games like those targeting 4k resolution. It would require significantly larger investments in art assets.

Art assets are already designed/modeled at very high fidelities.

I anticipate 4K TV's under $2K around 2016 or 2017.

Theonik

Yeah but as TV technology improves people keep buying bigger and bigger screens which has the same effect
But the poster he was replying to specifically said a 42" TV. Also people buy larger TVs because they are now cheap. Moving to 4k should reverse that trend somewhat until prices drop again. There is also the concern that some people don't really have the room to set up larger sets than the 40ish inch ones they have, but that argument is more valid outside the US.

hachi

Banned
Were you gaming on a 42" TV in 2004/2005?

Your implication is that we'll be gaming on ever larger screens as time goes on, analogous to the bump in TV size that took place in the initial HD transition.

I don't think you can make that inference of a sharp upward trend; the reason SD sets were still so small for most consumers was the inherent limitation of CRTs, whereby a set above 30 inches becomes a massive and heavy box that you can't easily fit in your living room. Now that screens are flat, we've accepted an increase in size to around the 40-ish mark or so for most homes, but that's the upper limit for many consumers based simply on the space we're willing do devote to a television set.

The technological constraints are giving way to others that concern the use and integration of living space, and even basic considerations of tastefulness.

knitoe

Few, if any, will support native 4K res. Upscale will be the best we can hope for. So, the answer is a big fucking NO.

onQ123

Something else to think about is the fact that games that or on portable devices will have create a lot of buzz next gen so they will be a big part of home consoles also, & these games will use Kinect & Move or whatever other motion control tech that will come Next Gen & maybe even touch screen controls so people will be closer to the TV.

Onemic

Why is everyone applying 4k resolutions to todays hardware? We don't even know when the next gen consoles form MS or Sony will come out and judging by how HD was perceived back in 2005, I really wouldn't be surprised if we see it (or at least 2K resolution) at least supported for the next gen consoles so that they can be utilized later down the line.

twofold

Optimal 1080p viewing distances are already unreasonable for most people. A 42" 1080p set should be viewed from no more than 5.5 feet away, but the great majority of viewers sit 8-10 feet away from such a set. 4k would make this even less tenable.

I remember making this argument a few years ago when 1080p sets were becoming increasingly popular and people wouldn't listen then - they're not going to listen now. I'd much rather have a Pioneer Kuro, which is a 720p set, over 99.9% of the 1080p television sets available today.

It's like trying to explain to people that a camera with a higher megapixel lens isn't necessarily better. The amount of times people have balked at my Canon S100 "only" having 12.1MP is insane. The marketing hype is just too strong.

If I had any faith in the next PlayStation or Xbox being powerful enough to run games at 4k then I would care. Plus it won't be until late into the next console cycle that you see even decent adoption rates of 4k tvs.

Your implication is that we'll be gaming on ever larger screens as time goes on, analogous to the bump in TV size that took place in the initial HD transition.

I don't think you can make that inference of a sharp upward trend; the reason SD sets were still so small for most consumers was the inherent limitation of CRTs, whereby a set above 30 inches becomes a massive and heavy box that you can't easily fit in your living room. Now that screens are flat, we've accepted an increase in size to around the 40-ish mark or so for most homes, but that's the upper limit for many consumers based simply on the space we're willing do devote to a television set.

The technological constraints are giving way to others that concern the use and integration of living space, and even basic considerations of tastefulness.

Rear projection televisions sized between 40" and 50" were widely available in every electronic store and still are to this day. And consumer tastes will change and evolve as they always have. It's naive to think that we won't progress past our current entertainment technology.

Sky Chief

But the poster he was replying to specifically said a 42" TV. Also people buy larger TVs because they are now cheap. Moving to 4k should reverse that trend somewhat until prices drop again. There is also the concern that some people don't really have the room to set up larger sets than the 40ish inch ones they have but that argument is more valid outside the US.

I feel bad for those people. Personally, I do not have a TV in my house smaller than 60", anything less than that just seems so tiny.

knitoe

Why is everyone applying 4k resolutions to todays hardware? We don't even know when the next gen consoles form MS or Sony will come out and judging by how HD was perceived back in 2005, I really wouldn't be surprised if we see it (or at least 2K resolution) at least supported for the next gen consoles so that they can be utilized later down the line.

I am sure they will support 4K, but that mostly means 1080p games upscale to 4K. Hardware just wouldn't be powerful enough to run native 4K unless you talking about simple games.

4K support next gen will have the same impact Blu-Ray support had this gen...absolute zero.

I'd rather see the Oculus Rift virtual reality goggles become the standard for next gen.

GavinGT

Banned
Rear projection televisions sized between 40" and 50" were widely available in every electronic store and still are to this day. And consumer tastes will change and evolve as they always have. It's naive to think that we won't progress past our current entertainment technology.

It's a fundamental limitation of the human eye that we're running into. People may not have understood that they didn't need 1080p over 720p, but they could see that HD was a hell of a lot better than SD and they purchased accordingly. With 4k, the general public won't notice enough of a difference with a 42" set and they won't be in any rush to fork over thousands of dollars for one.

Optimal 1080p viewing distances are already unreasonable for most people. A 42" 1080p set should be viewed from no more than 5.5 feet away, but the great majority of viewers sit 8-10 feet away from such a set. 4k would make this even less tenable.

LHjlo.png

The Sony 4k is 84" inches? So that'll put it at about 7 feet for optimal viewing. I'd say that would work out relatively well.

GavinGT

Banned
LHjlo.png

The Sony 4k is 84" inches? So that'll put it at about 7 feet for optimal viewing. I'd say that would work out relatively well.

You can't really extrapolate those results for 4k, since pixel density will have increased. That means you'll have to sit even closer.

twofold

You can't really extrapolate those results for 4k, since pixel density will have increased. That means you'll have to sit even closer.

Enter screen size:
84"

For 480p (720×480) resolution, you must sit:
25 feet or closer for full benefit
For 720p (1280×720) resolution, you must sit:
16 feet or closer for full benefit
For 1080p (1920×1080) resolution, you must sit:
11 feet or closer for full benefit
For 4k (4000×2000) resolution, you must sit:
5 feet or closer for full benefit

Calculator is at the bottom of this post - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

GavinGT

Banned
Enter screen size:
84"

For 480p (720×480) resolution, you must sit:
25 feet or closer for full benefit
For 720p (1280×720) resolution, you must sit:
16 feet or closer for full benefit
For 1080p (1920×1080) resolution, you must sit:
11 feet or closer for full benefit
For 4k (4000×2000) resolution, you must sit:
5 feet or closer for full benefit

Calculator is at the bottom of this post - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Yeah, that sounds like a blast. I might as well go stare into the sun for hours on end.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We are on the verge of some AMAZING breakthroughs in technology. GAF look into my crystal ball-

1. By 2020, we could have GPU's that are up to 1000x MORE POWERFUL than what we currently have. - http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/new-glue-could.php

2. Your entire wall will be a giant display thanks to Samsung's flexible OLED technology. Imagine this screen used as a WALLPAPER in your home. It will cost virtually as much as wallpaper once mass production kicks in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2nG9qy6vs

3. The Oculus Rift / Google Glasses will spark a revolution where we become a HMD society. Everything will be wireless, connected, and at speeds 100X what we have thanks to Google Fiber.

Combine that, with the inevitable 8k resolution... PS4/720 are slowly becoming jokes.

And we'll have flying cars and personal jet packs!

Micerider

Not at all, I would rather have them focus on actual 1080p with impeccable Image Quality. 4K is not necessary by any mean, just a lil' "plus that wouldn't weight in the balance at all.

Sky Chief

Yeah, that sounds like a blast. I might as well go stare into the sun for hours on end.

The way I read that table it means that as soon as you get closer than 11 feet ("optimal" 1080p distance), you will start to see 4k resolution being noticeably better than 1080p. That is not that close.

Anyway, in my primary gaming setup I sit 5' from a 60" 1080p TV. If you calibrate your TV properly sitting so close is not fatiguing at all.

orioto

Good Art™
The only thing i could see that would give some desire for a 4k reader, is some 4k native movie on a bluray, that you would project on a screen. 4K projector will be more interesting cause bigger size. You will notice the amazing ppi on a movie shot in red 5k, projected on a 120" 4k screen..

FLEABttn

Banned

Will it? That's like sitting 5 feet or so from a 60 inch TV. I find that to be hardly comfortable and I'm under the impression most people don't like that as well.

Snakeyes

I remember making this argument a few years ago when 1080p sets were becoming increasingly popular and people wouldn't listen then - they're not going to listen now. I'd much rather have a Pioneer Kuro, which is a 720p set, over 99.9% of the 1080p television sets available today.

It's like trying to explain to people that a camera with a higher megapixel lens isn't necessarily better. The amount of times people have balked at my Canon S100 "only" having 12.1MP is insane. The marketing hype is just too strong.

Wow, at least some people get it.

4K won't be a factor for me until 70+ inch auto-stereoscopic 3D sets will become affordable. I'm really excited for large 4K monitors though.

A lot of people are forgetting something essential in this. It's not ONLY about how far you must sit, but viewing angle is just as important. Most people get some like... 20 degree viewing angle of the screen. You see everything to the left, right, top and bottom of the damn TV, and you play a game (most consoles fps...) at 55 degree viewing angle. You get some disproportionate affect.

Bigger TV's with higher resolution allow for better FOV's while not compromising the image quality at closer positions.

zoukka

So how will you people feel in 2016 when the iPad 5 is playing games in 4K & your Console is stuck at 1080P?

How do they feel in 2012 when the ipad already plays games on a higher res than most of PC gaming?

The answer: very few give a shit until real tangible benefits are gained from such a screen.

If you're in the market for a 4K TV, lets face it, you're loaded. An extra $400 for another console ain't shit. No decision to be made really.

iceatcs

Is it PC ready for 4K now?

If you're in the market for a 4K TV, lets face it, you're loaded. An extra $400 for another console ain't shit. No decision to be made really.
They are more likely not true gamers. A blind gamer who keep buy over the price monster cable.

GavinGT

Banned
The way I read that table it means that as soon as you get closer than 11 feet ("optimal" 1080p distance), you will start to see 4k resolution being noticeably better than 1080p. That is not that close.

Anyway, in my primary gaming setup I sit 5' from a 60" 1080p TV. If you calibrate your TV properly sitting so close is not fatiguing at all.

The vast majority of people sit 8-10 feet away from their 42" sets. That's where they're comfortable sitting. They might as well stick with 720p or 1080p at that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom