• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 states on the verge of weed legalization (MA, CA, MO, HI, ME, NV, AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Work places in those states will still be legally able to fire you if you do marijuana outside of work and they test you later on(even if your'e not currently high).

BubbaMc

What would it take to get it legalized federally?

Once this happens, the rest of the world will follow suit, not before.

YES I hope it passes in all of the states. It removes a lot of people from the job market for jobs I typically go for <3. Federal Funding still requires drug testing. Thin the herd :p

what really shocked me one day is to find out that the majority of the governments around the world still have it illegal. I thought it was just the U.S. that makes me not trust government as a whole. holy moley.

how could nearly the whole world be this behind

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Josh Topolsky posted this on Twitter yesterday. I think it's relevant.

dKv3ek6.png

Speevy

Banned
I'm fine with weed being legal anywhere as long as I can still fire you for coming to work high or smelling like it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with weed being legal anywhere as long as I can still fire you for coming to work high or smelling like it.

Well, yes. I mean, you can fire people for turning up drunk or smelling heavily of alcohol too. Why would marijuana be different?

rjinaz

You can do that with alcohol too so I really don't see why it would be any different. If I go to work drunk I'll get fired or if my supervisor smells it on my breath, same story.

Smelling it on the clothes can be a little iffy. I would guess there would need to be corporate policies in place. The smell can linger for days. I mean I could smoke 24 hours ago, and still have my clothes smell like pot but it doesn't mean I'm high.

Speevy

Banned
You can do that with alcohol too so I really don't see why it would be any different. If I go to work drunk I'll get fired or if my supervisor smells it on my breath, same story.

Smelling it on the clothes can be a little iffy. I would guess there would need to be corporate policies in place. The smell can linger for days. I mean I could smoke 24 hours ago, and still have my clothes smell like pot but it doesn't mean I'm high.

Then it's a personal hygiene issue. If customers detect it, it's a public relations problem.

Speevy

Banned
This is an interesting viewpoint. What do you manage and how do you feel about the people under you?

I manage a great many people who deal with customers on a daily basis, and I believe that their outward appearance and lucidity represent the company for which they are currently employed.

It would've probably passed in the conservative Nevada legislature but we were to busy passing the biggest tax hike ever for education. It'll pass easily on the 2016 ballot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In most jobs in most states you can totally fire someone for coming in with that rank, dank smell. Hell I know people who got fired for smelling like ashtrays in consumer facing roles back when cigarettes were still cool.

BubbaMc

Testing would move away from urine samples to saliva samples in the event of legalization.

That's the way it should be.

Lace

Marijuana users probably won't become a protected class if it is legalized so nothing should change on private companies discriminating against it.

dekline

Testing would move away from urine samples to saliva samples in the event of legalization.

This is the only thing that would bother me if weed was legal - drug tests. I understand they are necessary in certain situations, but if I smoked some dank on a weekend 2 weeks ago and hurt myself on the job could they fuck me for it? Saliva tests seem to be the way to go in this case. From what I understand it's only detectable in saliva for a day or two at most?

rjinaz

Then it's a personal hygiene issue. If customers detect it, it's a public relations problem.

Well there you go then. It's no different than anything else when it comes to hygiene. If the worker is coming to the job smelling like pot then they need to be informed of the company policy and that continuing to do so will end their employment. It's easy enough to keep your work clothes isolated or use the drug in others ways that do not involve smoking.

as others have stated, I don't think the movement of legalization is asking for the right for public intoxication.

I mean, I enjoy going to the movies after smoking, but I wouldn't do it going to work now - that would be so unprofessional and counterproductive and just wrong in every way.

hm, explain how this would work. would it be gone in one or two days?

fritolay

If a state makes it legal, but it is still against federal law, then you can still get fired from your job with positive drug test correct?

aeolist

Banned
If a state makes it legal, but it is still against federal law, then you can still get fired from your job with positive drug test correct?

even if it weren't against federal law you could fire someone for a positive drug test. i believe the only way this would change is if they made pot smokers a protected class, and i sincerely doubt that would ever happen.

Dio

Banned
Hawaii would be an especially hard sell, I think.

Back when weed was way larger there, there was an attempt to wipe it out completely as part of the WAR ON DRUGS, with helicopters and stuff.

After weed went away, then meth got a foothold in its place. Always thought that was sad, really. At least, that's what I grew up knowing.

even if it weren't against federal law you could fire someone for a positive drug test. i believe the only way this would change is if they made pot smokers a protected class, and i sincerely doubt that would ever happen.
but someone in this thread suggested switching to saliva tests instead of urine tests

shaowebb

If they legalize it in WV that'd certainly flip the economy of this state around...I've been a lot of places but I've never lived anywhere with as many heads as WV. Yes, I've lived in California.

TxdoHawk

I manage a great many people who deal with customers on a daily basis, and I believe that their outward appearance and lucidity represent the company for which they are currently employed.

That is a pretty vague half-an-answer for two pretty straightforward questions.

I'm kinda ambivalent on legalization (especially since I live in a state where it is already legal), but weed smokers smell terrible.

n0razi

That'd be stupid. I imagine most work places would start implementing bi-monthly tests or something.

nah... it costs $200-300 to test... a small store with 20 employees is not paying $5000 every 2 weeks to possibly fire someone if the work is getting done. now, if an employee gives them a reason to suspect or investigate...

Platy

it's not legal

SO CLOSE I CAN FEEL IT

...even being in a totaly diferent country that is like 50 years away from legalization of weed.

But somehow the politicans like the USA very much so if you guys legalize we might change the 50 years to 25 !

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
nah... it costs $200-300 to test... a small store with 20 employees is not paying $5000 every 2 weeks to possibly fire someone if the work is getting done. now, if an employee gives them a reason to suspect or investigate...

If there is a workplace accident, the person(s) tested positive for marijuana will be held liable.

SO CLOSE I CAN FEEL IT

...even being in a totaly diferent country that is like 50 years away from legalization of weed.

But somehow the politicans like the USA very much so if you guys legalize we might change the 50 years to 25 !
yeah, maybe a few states are closer to legalization. but it won't be acceptable in my eyes until it matches alcohol in legality.

Speevy

Banned
That is a pretty vague half-an-answer for two pretty straightforward questions.

No, it's not. Did you have this bizarre imagining that I was going to give the company I worked for?

I don't think there's a company that deals in customer service of any repute that would want stoned employees. It's straight up trashy, and everyone who replied to my original post seemed to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom