• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and his Blob [Wii] - 2D platformer by WayForword

Jme

I remember when I was a kid I drew out a map of the entire "underworld" by hand in my composition notebook. Took me a while too, I went screen by screen and filled in the blanks in my map.
And then I was finally able to make it to Blobolonia once I had a clear route planned out.

Ah the good old days of gaming, back before the internet or easily obtainable strategy guides.

So much nostalgia for this game in particular. It was one of my favorites as a child. I'm so glad WayForward has done such an amazing (visually) job recreating this. I absolutely can not wait to play it.

adg1034

This screen shamelessly stolen from Chris Kohler's Wired news page:

blob_announce_002.jpg

rhino4evr

Wow. Looks fantastic. Looking forward to this, always thought it was such a great idea for a game, and destined for a remake.

eXistor

For some reason I've never played the original, despite me eyeing it several times in the local toyshop back in the day. I plan to rectify this gross oversight.

Nocebo

Woah impressive! Can't wait to see it in motion. Fuck, I love 2d so much it makes me want to cry tears of joy seeing these screenshots.

zallaaa

Jim said:
357inph.jpg

Man, you don't recognize that? It's the beginning of the original (which was great, but SO amazingly short):
boyandblob.png

They should have kept that background choice of color and gave the game a slightly darker tone. I don't know why but it felt a bit gloomy and somber at the time and I don't get that vibe from these images. BTW great artstyle!

pulga

Banned
Holy tits, this looks amazing. Too young to have played the original, so the gameplay better be up to par with the 2DSEX.

Vinci

Danish
Damn it, WayForward! Cut it the hell out! You're ruining things for me horribly!

/kicks a rock
... not made of money, you know ...

Not to shit on this game but why are some of the backgrounds so inconsistent with the sprites at times?

I mean you have some backgrounds like this that look fine:

3329070110_53dccd8db3_o.png

but others like this that just mesh :/ with the sprites

357inph.jpg

HOLY FUCK

If that looks as good in motion as it does in screens call me super impressed. I'd take games that look like this over anything "realistic." :D :D :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Flying_Phoenix said:
Not to shit on this game but why are some of the backgrounds so inconsistent with the sprites at times?

I mean you have some backgrounds like this that look fine:

but others like this that just mesh :/ with the sprites
What? So you want everything to look soft like the characters?

Jammy

Banned
Wow... I can't wait for this.

I wonder if it will be budget priced just because of the type of game it is. These are a hard sell on consoles nowadays. It looks like a perfect fit for WiiWare, although I know there's severe size limitations and WayForward is going all-out with this game.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well, I think one would contrast against a colorful landscape while blending in with a darker one...at night...with lights...shadows...blend...

GDGF

Soothsayer
zallaaa said:
They should have kept that background choice of color and gave the game a slightly darker tone. I don't know why but it felt a bit gloomy and somber at the time and I don't get that vibe from these images. BTW great artstyle!

You make a good point. The game looks great, but the artist (s) might want to think about bringing back that simple black and yellow for the city scene. It does look better.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, go Wayforward :D. Wasn't exactly interested in the franchise at all seeing the original game and the DS remake shots, but this, wow!

Looking really good! Totally interested in this :)

jooey said:
What? So you want everything to look soft like the characters?

No I want everything to be consistent and blend in well.

Basically like these games:

muramasa2.jpg

tww_screenshot_009.jpg

sbx-1.jpg

To me these games are examples of backgrounds that blend very well with the sprites and foreground. Nothing stands out as everything is consistent and looks genuine. Though this may just be me.

Enk

makes good threads.
More 2d gaming love this gen! Loved the original and am glad Wayforward is doing this. They seem to have a knack for paying tributes the styles of old school games. I really, really like the style of this too. Fits it so perfectly. Wonder if the music will still be there (if Contra 4 was any indication I'm sure it will be).

looks incredible and I hope the animation keeps up

and please, Nintendo, make the Wii region free through software so I can use Wiiware without losing the ability to play some of my games.

Linkzg said:
looks incredible and I hope the animation keeps up

and please, Nintendo, make the Wii region free through software so I can use Wiiware without losing the ability to play some of my games.

Won't happen, and what does it have to do with the topic anyway?

AceBandage said:
Won't happen, and what does it have to do with the topic anyway?

it's a Wiiware game if I'm not mistaken, and I can't buy anything from Wiiware or virtual console since I can't take my Wii online with it updating, making it so I can play my Wii imports (like, 4 or 5 games.) I want to keep that ability and buy this Boy and his Blob wiiware game; it's a personal problem that I can hopefully play. Though, I did hear that it is safe to update the Wii right now, so unless Nintendo screws up HBC between now and the release of this I'll be fine. First interesting thing on Wiiware since Orbident.

Linkzg said:
it's a Wiiware game if I'm not mistaken, and I can't buy anything from Wiiware or virtual console since I can't take my Wii online with it updating, making it so I can play my Wii imports (like, 4 or 5 games.) I want to keep that ability and buy this Boy and his Blob wiiware game; it's a personal problem that I can hopefully play. Though, I did hear that it is safe to update the Wii right now, so unless Nintendo screws up HBC between now and the release of this I'll be fine. First interesting thing on Wiiware since Orbident.

Ok, except this is a Retail game, not a WiiWare game.

Linkzg said:
it's a Wiiware game if I'm not mistaken
You are--it's retail.

Flying_Phoenix said:
No I want everything to be consistent and blend in well.

To me these games are examples of backgrounds that blend very well with the sprites and foreground. Nothing stands out as everything is consistent and looks genuine. Though this may just be me.
Maybe.

The second one's character and background aren't blended that well--the character looks cartoonish while the background looks like a painting. Like you, though, it may just be me...he pops out.

Eteric Rice

Linkzg said:

Boy and his Blob is retail.

I played this game a lot when I was young, but I was pretty bad at it. :lol This remake looks like it's got the spirit right, and some very nice 2D to support it. WayForward always does such a great job (even with doomed products like Ping Pals, seriously), I'm definitely looking forward to this.

GhaleonQ

Awesome concept + okay series execution + WayForward not really getting a fair shake for their original stuff + 2-d = ideal sequel

I can't wait.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Don't want to be a party pooper but, ya know, I love WF and the way a fantastic 2D effort with a much bigger IP behind (Wario) has perfomed at retail has me worried. A LOT.

Dash Kappei said:
Don't want to be a party pooper but, ya know, I love WF and the way a fantastic 2D effort with a much bigger IP behind (Wario) has perfomed at retail has me worried. A LOT.
I agree that this will almost certainly sell like crap. Fortunately, Majesco seems to believe otherwise. Just don't expect a sequel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Father_Brain said:
I agree that this will almost certainly sell like crap. Fortunately, Majesco seems to believe otherwise. Just don't expect a sequel.

majesco wants to make a wii game that'll sell less than opoona, and they think major minor's majestic march might actually get into the upper 4 digits, so they greenlit this ;)

Soule

dragonlife29 said:
You are--it's retail.

Maybe.

The second one's character and background aren't blended that well--the character looks cartoonish while the background looks like a painting. Like you, though, it may just be me...he pops out.

I think it looks fine... I agree with him that the screen of the boy under the lights doesn't mesh nearly as well as his other example but it really doesn't irk me at all.

Bizzyb

Banned
This was one of my favorite NES game ever. I loved how when you ran off a cliff you could make it back if you didn't go out too far. Kinda like in the Looney Tunes cartoons back then.

Those screens look beautiful btw. Here's hoping the game is as awesome as it looks

HylianTom said:
For those who've missed 'em, there are two Videos at IGN:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14326534/a-boy-his-blob/videos/ABoyandHisBlobIGN_2.html

(the second one, entitled "Use that blob" is linked on the right)
Looks awesome, and it puts the nitpicking of the nighttime screenshot to bed. The character supposedly "not blending" with the environment in the screen is actually because of the light being cast from the street lamp... meaning it's the result of the character blending in with the environment.

Vitet

Cool. This confirms it isn't a straight remake. The first stage is completly different than the NES one

Top Bottom