• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Reputable Leaker Claims that Square Enix is Working on a Remake to the Beloved PlayStation 2 Game Final Fantasy X

According to Im A Hero Too, a Resetera user who has accurately leaked Final Fantasy news but has since deleted their account on the forum, the next Final Fantasy remake after FF9 is Final Fantasy 10. Apparently, the game will be out in time for Final Fantasy 10's next big anniversary, which would be in 2026. It's entirely unclear at this point the extent of the remake or what else it will entail. If this leak is accurate, fans likely won't get any concrete information for years. [...]

As far as Im A Hero Too's credibility goes, they have accurately leaked Final Fantasy news and JRPG news in general. They leaked the existence of the Persona 3 remake and its planned announcement at the Xbox Showcase on June 11, and they also leaked Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth's release date delay to 2024. There's still a chance that their information is inaccurate, though, especially since this supposed Final Fantasy 10 remake is still at least three years from launch.

More at: https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-10-remake-leaks/

Last edited:
Wow I just started playing FFX HD remaster. I haven't played it since 2001 on PS2. Man the MUSIC is still so memorable. And the BATTLE system still holds up. So satisfying when you get an overkill.

yu-yevon-final-fantasy-x.gif

Hugare

If true this is going too far.

X really doesn't need a remake. It polishes up well on PC at native 4k.
If even RE 4 and TLOU received remakes (and were well received by critics and players), the 22 years old FF X is more than a good enough candidate

I would rather have FF VIII remake first, tho (since IX is already being worked on, aparently)

Also, the "HD Remaster" was a terrible job by Virtuos.

Last edited:

Comandr

FFX still holds up. Recently replayed it again. Worst part of the game is the slog of the sphere grid. I love the flexibility but Jesus trying to level everyone up takes forever. Would be worth remaking just to address that.

Ansphn

Good. They should remake all the good/great early Squaresoft games. Give younger people the chance to experience the greatness in 4k/60 with modern controls. Follow the FF7 recipe = success.

Last edited:
If they remake this shit instead of VIII I will legit be pissed.

I'm cool with them remaking IX since it's PS1-era, but fuck remaking X. They already gave that game more than it deserves with X-2 back then and the recent remaster. The only part of FFX I enjoyed was blitzball.

Pejo

This infuriates me. They'll spare no resource in remaking/remastering/re-releasing the classic turn based Final Fantasy games, but they sure as fuck won't make a brand new high budget turn based Final Fantasy game. I wonder what goes through management's minds over there.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
I never got how people liked ff x but hated xiii so much.

X had great characters and a great battle system. Outside of a few cringe moments and voice acting, FFX was a really great game. Blitzball was also a great mini-game.

FFX was also head and shoulders above other games released at the time.

FF13 released the same year Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, and Batman Arkham Asylum came out. Throw in Killzone 2, Ratchet Crack in Time, and Demon's Souls...

4 of these games are industry defining games...

FFX is my favorite FF so I would love this. Just hope they keep the turn-based system as it IMO the best turn-based combat ever.

This idea that action rpgs are the answer makes no sense... we've had action rpgs since we've had turn based rpgs...

It's baffling

They're doing this to FF but not Dragon Quest... which shows you a lot in terms of how little Square Enix respects core fans of FF compared to Dragon Quest.

Fabieter

X had great characters and a great battle system. Outside of a few cringe moments and voice acting, FFX was a really great game. Blitzball was also a great mini-game.

FFX was also head and shoulders above other games released at the time.

FF13 released the same year Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, and Batman Arkham Asylum came out. Throw in Killzone 2, Ratchet Crack in Time, and Demon's Souls...

4 of these games are industry defining games...

So xiii biggest crime is to be released alongside alot of other great games, while x was ahead of its time. Seems fair tho.

FFX is my favorite FF so I would love this. Just hope they keep the turn-based system as it IMO the best turn-based combat ever.

I think Square is really poorly managed.

Even their pixel remasters leave a lot to be desired.

They're just a lazy and greedy company who shouldn't at all be rewarded.

Square Enix shouldn't be making games that look worse than Guilty Gear Strive.

They could make absolutely beautiful remakes that maintain the magic of the originals. Especially games that didn't have wide distribution back in the day.

Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, FFIX, Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3...

Take one look at the poor job they did with the SD3 remake... just awful.

So xiii biggest crime is to be released alongside alot of other great games, while x was ahead of its time. Seems fair tho.

You have to keep up with the competition. FFX was ahead of its time and FF13 was behind the times... That's not a recipe for success.

Look at Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, and Final Fantasy X.

For about 15 years Square Enix was ahead of the rest of the industry and it wasn't even close.

This idea that action rpgs are the answer makes no sense... we've had action rpgs since we've had turn based rpgs...

It's baffling

They're doing this to FF but not Dragon Quest... which shows you a lot in terms of how little Square Enix respects core fans of FF compared to Dragon Quest.
Final Fantasy has always been about innovation and change, and Dragon Quest has always been about tradition and fighting the same monsters designed in the same way with the same interface listening to the same music for 30 years straight.

That is a partially snarky response, but genuinely Final Fantasy doesn't get enough credit for how much they change core mechanics, setting, themes, etc between games. That is pretty ballsy for a prestige franchise. Like, looking back it is insane to me that they followed up Final Fantasy VII, the game that was the first exposure for millions to JRPGs in the first place and had a clever but fairly straightforward leveling and materia system, with the fucking junction system and level scaling enemies.

Fabieter

XIII biggest crime was having the most unlikable protag in a Final Fantasy game

They aint unlikeable but Squal, Tidus, Van and Noctis aint the best proag tho. Wouldn't say lightning is worse like at all.

You have to keep up with the competition. FFX was ahead of its time and FF13 was behind the times... That's not a recipe for success.

Look at Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, and Final Fantasy X.

For about 15 years Square Enix was ahead of the rest of the industry and it wasn't even close.

Oh I agree but x was also in a time were it was easier to make games stand out

Last edited:
Top Bottom