• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Reputable Leaker Claims that Square Enix is Working on a Remake to the Beloved PlayStation 2 Game Final Fantasy X

hemo memo

Gold Member
Square Enix when they remake FFX and give it real time combat.

dave chappelle GIF
Yeah I will know that turn based if officially dead when SMT drop it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Octopath 2 was a sequel......but I was meaning across all publishers.
Its unreasonable to expect every new game to be a new IP. Studios would collapse quickly that way.

Also Square does better than many at relesaing a wide range of IPs each gen, you have FF and lets face it each game is so different from the last they may as well be a new IP. DQ, KH, NieR, Octopath, Diofield, Triangle Strategy, Valkyrie, Star Ocean, Foamstars (lol) etc etc.

Modern S-E ain't perfect, but they've improved a lot from the dark days of PS3. I'd say since the second half of PS4 gen they've started to get their shit together slowly.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beloved? People like to say that 13 was a corridor simulator but the truth is that 10 did it first.

Did it well too since its contextualized as a literal South-North pilgrimage. Features plenty of meaningful world building along the way instead of making you read the menu. Has the best turn based battle system in the series. Did I mention its the fifth best selling ps2 game, a console which had over 4000 games?

Yes its beloved :lollipop_grimacing:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If this this true then predictably people going whine and cry about “why it’s different than original game and Square Enix can’t make good game”…blah blah blah blah blah.

Whitecrow

Banned
Beloved? People like to say that 13 was a corridor simulator but the truth is that 10 did it first.
Can we pls stop this comparison nonsense?
There's a big difference between 10 minutes corridors and 40 minutes corridors.
And there's a difference between killing almost all monsters with 1 attack and finish encounters in 2 minutes, and spending 5 minutes on a lot of encounters.

XIII tests your patience in a way X could only dream of.

I think the main character of FF8 is kind of relatable. Doesnt love himself. And who can blame him? He got abandonment issues.

And everybody looking to him for the leadership role which he never asked for, as if he knows wtf to do.

And he aint ungrateful. He just doing his damn job and doesnt want all the extra bullshit.

I think its a great story and has great character development. He’s learning to trust his environment.

Idk i like him.

And the music is PHENOMENAL. World design/setting PHENOMENAL. Characters PHENOMENAL. It has issues with the narrative. But damn FF8 is a masterpiece and idgf what anybody has to say.

10/10 Squaresoft classic.
Whatever.

Last edited:

Killer8

As much as I moaned about remakes before, Square Enix are basically creatively bankrupt nowadays. It's almost preferable for them to do another take on games they made when they were actually good (*as SquareSoft).

Boss Mog

If you judge based on sales , yes.
Sales don't make it beloved to me. I bought it, twice even. But I like many FF games ahead of it and most people I've talked to over the years didn't have it in their top 3 FF games. 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12 were the games that I heard the most, not 10

StueyDuck

"Reputable" era leaker like dusk golem and that other account claiming silent Hill came out 3 years ago now and was made by Sony Japan...

Era doesn't know shit. People with info know to dodge that shithole of mentally unstable people

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
7 - 9 - 10 - 12 - 13 - 8 is the correct order of those 5, and should be remade in that order. (although, maybe just skip 13 & 8)

Elios83

I'm more excited by the all but confirmed FFIX remake.
I wonder how many teams they're having working on these remakes and who is going to develop FFXVII. They must also be looking at a new MMORPG as a successor to FFXIV.

A FFXII remake calling back Matsuno to flesh out the story better than they did in the original would also be great.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Question for all, in a hypothetical remake (please god may it be real), how would you want them to handle the sphere grid?

Keep the same, simplify, or scrap it for something new?

I'd like them to keep it the same. Even though it was fairly linear, I did feel it added some depth and variation to the game.

Last edited:

Komatsu

If done right, it would be incredible. But they must keep the CTB system in place - it's the best battle system ever used in a turn-based mainline FF. FFX would not work as an action RPG... How would they incorporate the summons?

Some minor tweaks to pacing would also be appreciated: we don't need to fight Seymour five fucking times.

Paiky

Neo Member
If done right, it would be incredible. But they must keep the CTB system in place - it's the best battle system ever used in a turn-based mainline FF. FFX would not work as an action RPG... How would they incorporate the summons?

Some minor tweaks to pacing would also be appreciated: we don't need to fight Seymour five fucking times.
The last Seymor fight was really unnecessary, but the battle theme is just awesome

sendit

Final Fantasy X, the game that removed the open world map in FF and turned in to a a corridor crawler. No thanks.

Hudo

KEEP NOMURA AWAY FROM IT

Edit: As a director or writer. He can, of course, come back as character designer.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
This will be what I like to call a TRUE remaster, like Demon Souls "Remake". Same base game, new coat of paint.

They'll hopefully re-animate/record facial animations, but the world environments will be the same. Anyone taking bets?

I think this game stands the test of time well enough, but if they want to remake why not. However I'm sure the thing that was missing from FFX, which is an overworld map with a controllable airship, will not be featured in a remake.

I would be more opposed to this remake if they didn't botch the remastered version as much as they did.

ijwvl6kgh0e71.png

qjtm56kgh0e71.png

DzTEGN5pyDthE98Ld3G7rL.jpg

2qf1c4.png
Man, is that really right? It looks like the ones on the right are newer/higher fidelity than the left. Confused.

I played through the remaster recently and enjoyed it but wasn't fine tooth combing it either. It's also been well over ten years since I played it on PS2 so it's not exactly fresh.

Seyken

Man, is that really right? It looks like the ones on the right are newer/higher fidelity than the left. Confused.

I played through the remaster recently and enjoyed it but wasn't fine tooth combing it either. It's also been well over ten years since I played it on PS2 so it's not exactly fresh.
Yep, it's real. They redid the faces completely and botched it in the process, making it look MUCH worse than the PS2 original. The faces don't emote correctly and just look souless/creepy as hell.

This video shows it perfectly, just look at the difference in emotion:

Top Bottom