• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Reputable Leaker Claims that Square Enix is Working on a Remake to the Beloved PlayStation 2 Game Final Fantasy X

Yup that movie is really terrible. And I hate it even more because it's the living proof to all entertainment executives that quality is irrelevant as long as the nostalgia is strong enough.

To be fair to Square though it's not just them. It's the entire industry:
We got TLOU1 Remake, Dead Space Remake, RE4Remake, Demon Souls Remake, Advance Wars remake, etc and looking at the future there's Silent Hill 2 remake, MGS3 remake, May Payne 1-2 remake, Kotor remake, etc

As for the movie side of things, it's not just remakes, that's how I feel about most movies/shows that use heavy nostalgia to hook a audience. For example The Force Awakens, Ghostbuster (the newest one), etc. I hate all these movies due to that reliance on that heavy nostalgia. Also it's used as an excuse to use cheap effects too

Would much rather have a remake of IV, V or VI instead of a game that was already remastered and still holds up fairly well.
Or just make new games. I'd much rather hear they are advancing on FFXVII and FFXVIII instead of remakes.

Nah it's because people LOVE nostalgia and selling them on a remake of something they already know and love is way easier than selling them something new.
You think Spiderman No way Home made almost $2 billion at the box office because it has incredible writing and acting?
I think you already answered your rhetorical question but um, yeah I need that god of war 1&2 remake.

jcorb

I know there's a lot of fatigue around "remakes", but I do think FFX would actually be a pretty good candidate. I think the voice-acting has aged extremely poorly (even the voice of Wakka, my beloved Bender), and I could see it really benefiting from a visual facelift as well.

I would keep the combat system almost *EXACTLY* the same, though. I absolutely adore FF7 Remake's combat system, don't get me wrong, but I genuinely feel like FFX is *the* best turn-based combat system in video game history, full stop. In fact, I'd love to see a proper New Game+ with TOTALLY random battles throughout the game, just to give it more of a competitive edge, really make the most of that system.

The debate about Remakes vs Sequels vs new IPs is quite interesting in itself.

We all want great new IPs on paper, I know I do but at the same time I think I'm also being hypocritical about it because out of all the new IPs being revealed year after year, only a few of them really excite me. Sequels and remakes of games that hold a special value in my heart excite me way more than a new IP because it hasn't proven itself yet.

There are like 10-20 franchises that I love and I think I would be perfectly happy if the only upcoming games were new entries/remakes in those franchises.

I like to be amazed with new IPs though...it just takes a lot.

Yo, why not dig up Vagrant Story or a reboot of The Bouncer? Give us something different than the same Final Fantasy games.

proandrad

Square Enix when they remake FFX and give it real time combat.

dave chappelle GIF

The debate about Remakes vs Sequels vs new IPs is quite interesting in itself.

We all want great new IPs on paper, I know I do but at the same time I think I'm also being hypocritical about it because out of all the new IPs being revealed year after year, only a few of them really excite me. Sequels and remakes of games that hold a special value in my heart excite me way more than a new IP because it hasn't proven itself yet.

There are like 10-20 franchises that I love and I think I would be perfectly happy if the only upcoming games were new entries/remakes in those franchises.

I like to be amazed with new IPs though...it just takes a lot.
This is what I've noticed on GAF when it comes to that versus:

I've noticed that when people ask for new IPs, once released they will nitpick them to such a degree that they will convince themselves the new product is not worth buying, thus killing the brand as a one-and-done entry, only to celebrate it too late when the title is at bargain bin prices.

I've noticed that when people ask for sequels, once released they will constantly compare them to the first entries of the series and ask why the new games aren't the exact same thing as the old ones. Then they will complain further with the more risks a developer takes.

I've noticed that when people ask for remakes, once released they will nitpick any and all artistic and/or gameplay liberties taken(for example: to modernize the game for newer audiences), to the point where they will try and convince people to download an emulator to play a version of a game that normally can not be acquired or purchased legally unless traded at a high price on ebay.

If they change FFX from turn based into a Nioh clone I think there will be significant backlash. The turn based system FFX has with the portraits in the upper left corner of the screen showing whose turns are coming up next is iconic. In fact a certain recently released gacha game straight up takes that system and uses it almost the same way.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Another remake...
We'll probably see remakes for each mainline entry in between the new ones.
FFIX, FFXVII, FFX, FFXVIII, etc.

Although FFVI is so beloved by fans, I don't understand why Square Enix is so reluctant to green-light it.
It would stand to benefit the most from a remake, certainly more than FFX.

I'm guessing they want to pull a Capcom and remake down the line??

Why is VIII alway ignored if both IX and X are getting remakes? I swear I feel like the only person who loved VIII.

The only other plausible reason I'd see this is there was talk of a story being written already for FFX-3.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Oooooh! Was wondering when this'll happen! Grand!

But! I hope the same turn based battles stay. And please keep the sphere grid level ups as well.

Yo, why not dig up Vagrant Story or a reboot of The Bouncer? Give us something different than the same Final Fantasy games.
They just remade Live A Live and Front Mission, and are currently remaking Front Mission 2, 3, and Dragon Quest III.

And personally I think a modern day Vagrant Story would basically need to have almost everything about its gameplay changed. The gameplay sucks ass.

The Bouncer would be kind of pointless because it was like a 1.5 hour long game.

Katajx

Gold Member
They'll ruin it with that stupid battle style they used for VII remake etc.
Was it really so awful that you could move around, attack to build a gauge, and still have a menu for spells and abilities?

I love the original as much as anyone, but when I go back it really devolves into auto attacking or being brain dead in random battles 80% of the time.

Katajx

Gold Member
I’m hesitant to believe this. If I see the 9 remake, then maybe. I just don’t see SE doing with Capcom did with Resident Evil. Especially seeing how long the 7R has been going on.

I could see something like the DS games, but I am not expecting a big AAA effort. Maybe a better and more recent example would be something more like Ever Crisis.

I just don’t think SE has the man power to work on all of these projects.

Last edited:

Melfice7

Remake FFVIII you cowards. if this is true hope they dont mess up the music AND the combat (the last FF with good combat)

K2D

Banned
Final Fantasy 10 only needed a better remaster.

They botched the facial animations in the "remaster" we got for PS3/PS4. Imo PS2 version is the best experience.

A remake is a low hanging fruit.

kevm3

Should have remade FF6, and no the 'pixel remaster' doesn't count. That actually looks worse than the original.

xrnzaaas

Remaking everything is getting out of hand. I've already played 4 big remakes this year and sure they were all at least good but we need more fresh games and stories.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As for the movie side of things, it's not just remakes, that's how I feel about most movies/shows that use heavy nostalgia to hook a audience. For example The Force Awakens, Ghostbuster (the newest one), etc. I hate all these movies due to that reliance on that heavy nostalgia. Also it's used as an excuse to use cheap effects too

But they make us feel so good. So I have no issue with them.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That seems to be a viable plan for FF at the time. They have the cushion of remakes while working on a new one with one of their teams.

I will disagree about the 'no new creative IPs'. Here is a list of releases from this gen and last gen:

Diofield Chronicle
Various Daylife
Star Ocean: Divine Force
Harvestella
Octopath Traveller 2
Forspoken
Babylon's Fall
Balan Wonderworld
The Quiet Man
Paranormasight
Valkyrie Elysium
Triangle Strategy
Dungeon Encounters
Stranger of Paradise
Bravely Default 2
Oninaki
Left Alive
DQ Builders 1 and 2
Lost Sphear
World of FF
I am Setsuna
Nier: Automata

I think the actual argument isn't that they don't have new IPs(and aren't spending money on them), it's that the quality of these IPs is like a roller coaster.

Square Enix should be seen like Bandai Namco, but everyone still views them with Squaresoft-tinted goggles.
How dare you…come on here and explain anything with actual common sense, you should be ashamed lol

Top Bottom