• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Reputable Leaker Claims that Square Enix is Working on a Remake to the Beloved PlayStation 2 Game Final Fantasy X

Speak for yourself, majority of people want it. Oh and if you wanna play the it’s going to censored game, then you might as well quit gaming altogether and have fun playing the old ass ps2 games. You sound crazy.
laughs GIF

But they make us feel so good. So I have no issue with them.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

But 8 had some ridiculous things about its plot that would be tough to change
That didn't stop FF7R from making changes lol. Not sure how many caught on to what was shown in that new trailer, but the FF7Rebirth game is about to

pull a 'Laguna' with Zack.

So they could definitely go crazy or crazier with FF8 if they wanted to. So to me it's still funny that, if this rumor is true, they skipped it and said 'actually no, X instead'.

Doubt. It still looks good, why waste resources to remake that?
Waste resources? Quite the opposite, it will make buttloads of $$$ after the success of FF7 Remake. Also, Capcom is swimming in $$$ with their RE remakes, so Square can too. Business 101. Money rules.

FingerBang

If this is true, they must have started developing within the last year. And if that is the case and they aim to release it in 3 years, don't expect it to be a full remake a-la FFVIIR.

I imagine it will be similar to FFIX but with a more realistic look.

There’s not much about FFX I’d change in all honesty.
If I had a gun to my head I’d say make Blitzball more robust with more movement options, animations and much better AI.

Outside of that, Dualsense features, improve the graphics, make some environments much larger, keep the linearity and beef up the score even more.

That’s about it.

Go_Ly_Dow

If this is true, they must have started developing within the last year. And if that is the case and they aim to release it in 3 years, don't expect it to be a full remake a-la FFVIIR.

I imagine it will be similar to FFIX but with a more realistic look.
Not so sure, X and X-2 combined have sold around the same or more than FFVIIOG+Remake combined so far. I'm sure in terms of $ revenue though 7 have brought in more.

VI, VIII and IX as a VII style remake would be a lot of hard work, but X would be a more straighforward undertaking. Wide linear, a lot more asset reuse as Spira feels like one cohesive culture throughout. You could see them pulling it off as one game no problem.

So I think it would be a high spec remake. All I ask for additionally is that the Zanarkand is more explorable at the beginning and a bit longer!

Last edited:
I replayed this (in HD remaster form) for the first time since original release a couple of years ago, it's always been one of my favourite FF's, Auron, Lulu and Kimahri are amongst the best party members Square has ever created, the world is beautiful, the narrative is solid, the Blitzball was... a cool *idea* lol (lots of potential to make this great in a remake).

As long as *new* games keep coming I'm all for remakes/remasters of the old ones. I've said many times on this forum and I'll say it again: Final Fantasy for life. Oh and one more thing

"Ride ze Shoopuf?"

Reactions: Dis

FingerBang

Not so sure, X and X-2 combined have sold around the same or more than FFVIIOG+Remake combined so far. I'm sure in terms of $ revenue though 7 have brought in more.

VI, VIII and IX as a VII style remake would be a lot of hard work, but X would be a more straighforward undertaking. Wide linear, a lot more asset reuse as Spira feels like one cohesive culture throughout. You could see them pulling it off as one game no problem.

So I think it would be a high spec remake. All I ask for additionally is that the Zanarkand is more explorable at the beginning and a bit longer!
I don't doubt the game would be successful, but 3-4 years for a full-blown remake? We can have high-quality graphics and some QoL improvements, but most environments and mechanics must be the same or it won't make 2026.

I think people will like what they did with FFIX remake and FFX is probably going to be a higher fidelity version of that.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't doubt the game would be successful, but 3-4 years for a full-blown remake? We can have high-quality graphics and some QoL improvements, but most environments and mechanics must be the same or it won't make 2026.

I think people will like what they did with FFIX remake and FFX is probably going to be a higher fidelity version of that.
Remember this? https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/0...ritten-but-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-the-main

This is from 2021 when they suddely started talking about FFX again and a potential X-3 etc.... I thought it was odd at the time.

If this is real, I bet they started pre-production in 2021, which would be quick given you have the original X setting the structure, design and all foundations of the flow of the game. So more like 5 years of development min if it is targeting 2026. Square have also embraced UE4 and now 5, I think the engine has given them a lot of confidence to produce high quality games without any bottlenecks.

If they want to do a X-3, it makes complete sense to remake the first game, then re-use the work from that to make X-3 in a short amount of time. Hypothetical, you complete X Remake, there's an extra bit to ending with a time skip showing the characters 5-10 years in the future which leads into X-3 and meaning you can skip and pretend X-2 doesn't exist. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I don’t think FF10 needs a remake. I think this obsession with remakes and remasters this generation confirms that the older games were just better, more innovative and memorable. I really liked FF10, but I just hope they don’t ruin it by dedicating it to “modern audiences”.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
And as a result they haven't been able to push the visuals as hard as they used to.
Turn-based gameplay seems to be a bigger turnoff than graphics that don’t push boundaries these days.
Why bother with pushing the visuals if people won buy because the game is turn-based?

I suppose, but is this SE M-O?
Just remaster all FF games and every
7-8 years they release a new mainline exclusively on one console??

I kinda feel sorry for them as an entity. Everyone sitting at the top has their head shoved up their ass. No new creative IPs, let’s just keep making FF remakes and in 10 years we just remake them again and again and again…..
Square are churning out more new IPs than any other big publisher right now.
This post just highlights the problem with it: people are not interested. They’d rather wait for news about the next copy-paste Dragon Quest than play some smaller titles from SQEX. And like it or not, FF remains their most recognizable and valuable IP in the west. FF is what made them big beyond Japan. Stop releasing FF titles and watch SQEX drop into irrelevance like a stone.

Looks like square taking a leaf from capcom’s book with remakes this gen. Makes sense though as we had the best FF’s back in then. Hope we get VIII eventually.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
FFX has a very good story. The part about Spira being ruled by the dead rings so true in today’s world. Too bad Nomura’s designs and the terribad English VA never allowed me to take it as seriously as the story deserves. Auron is automatically the best character on the grounds that he doesn’t look like a clown and his voice is so badass.

Remake it with characters I don’t want to punch in the face at first glance and I’ll be more than ok with it.

That seems to be a viable plan for FF at the time. They have the cushion of remakes while working on a new one with one of their teams.

I will disagree about the 'no new creative IPs'. Here is a list of releases from this gen and last gen:

Diofield Chronicle
Various Daylife
Star Ocean: Divine Force
Harvestella
Octopath Traveller 2
Forspoken
Babylon's Fall
Balan Wonderworld
The Quiet Man
Paranormasight
Valkyrie Elysium
Triangle Strategy
Dungeon Encounters
Stranger of Paradise
Bravely Default 2
Oninaki
Left Alive
DQ Builders 1 and 2
Lost Sphear
World of FF
I am Setsuna
Nier: Automata

I think the actual argument isn't that they don't have new IPs(and aren't spending money on them), it's that the quality of these IPs is like a roller coaster.

Square Enix should be seen like Bandai Namco, but everyone still views them with Squaresoft-tinted goggles.
I know they’ve been releasing games, I should say publishing games with the exception of a few in-house games over the last 5-6 years.

Why is there no sequel/prequel to Vagrant story.
I feel like now’s a good time to reintroduce Tobal.
I would love to see what a Bushido Blade would look like on todays consoles, think of all the destructible environmental effects you could do with your blade.
I can’t believe they haven’t done anything with Brave Fencer Musashi.
Why hasn’t a new Parasite Eve been in production for at least 3 years now after seeing the success of all the RE remakes?
And for gods sake put fucking Einhander on all the stores in all regions!

But then that brings us back to what you said and your right. Every game I mentioned up there is a Squresoft game not a SqureEnix game. It really made me think that I haven’t given SqureEnix any of time with the exception of FF12 on release (it’s the last FF game I completed).

Age huh…where does the time go. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the merger also. It still feels new to me.

Skifi28

Having finished it recently, the game has aged surprisingly well other than the static camera for traversal and the last few hours brutal hours leading to the end. I'd rather have a remake of VIII or IX.

Dis

I replayed this (in HD remaster form) for the first time since original release a couple of years ago, it's always been one of my favourite FF's, Auron, Lulu and Kimahri are amongst the best party members Square has ever created, the world is beautiful, the narrative is solid, the Blitzball was... a cool *idea* lol (lots of potential to make this great in a remake).

As long as *new* games keep coming I'm all for remakes/remasters of the old ones. I've said many times on this forum and I'll say it again: Final Fantasy for life. Oh and one more thing

"Ride ze Shoopuf?"

🥳🥳🥳

This jumped in my head when i read Shoopuf. FF for life 🥳🥳🥳

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Probably the most overrated game in the series. I think some competent writing + directing would go a long way toward improving on the original.

yeah right who am I kidding? It’s going to be some masturbatory 2deep4u Tetsuya Nomura tween melodrama

TransTrender

Gold Member
For once I feel like this one should be left alone.

FFIX? Sure sign me the fuck up.
FFIX? Nope. Just fine as it is. Sure the ""'''''''''remaster""'''''' is fucked so maybe give that another try.

Probably the most overrated game in the series. I think some competent writing + directing would go a long way toward improving on the original.

yeah right who am I kidding? It’s going to be some masturbatory 2deep4u Tetsuya Nomura tween melodrama
If FFX is considered too deep then I'm living in the kiddie pool. The SHIT after this one was trying to be way more headdy, in my opinion.

Last edited:

It is definitely overrated.

8 is the most overrated. Just one person saying it isn't terrible, would be overrated.

If they do remake X, they need to kill those mini-games with fire. At least, don't lock ultimate weapons behind them.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If FFX is considered too deep then I'm living in the kiddie pool. The SHIT after this one was trying to be way more headdy, in my opinion.
Nah I mean that’s what they’ll try to turn it into. Some Kingdom Hearts style turd with a bunch of teenagers in stupid looking costumes giving speeches about fate and destiny and darkness and shit

Pallas

First IX and now X? If true, I’m wondering why they skipped VIII? Maybe they felt the draw/junction system wouldn’t be well received still? It was one of my dislikes of the game when it first released, but as I got older I appreciated it a bit more.

First IX and now X? If true, I’m wondering why they skipped VIII? Maybe they felt the draw/junction system wouldn’t be well received still? It was one of my dislikes of the game when it first released, but as I got older I appreciated it a bit more.
VIII got a remaster.
LWDQvSp.jpg

ZDZHkAt.jpg

Also, VIII sucks.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Please no, you already butchered my favorite with the 7 remake and the crap battle system, don't do it to my second favorite FF title :messenger_sad_relieved:

Pallas

VIII got a remaster.

Also, VIII sucks.
Yes, it got a remaster. But it’s being skipped by the remake trend if the rumors about IX and X remakes are to be believed.

Also sure, it wasn’t great(loved the music and the triple triad though) but you mentioned it was overrated. It’s not, it doesn’t deserve to be overrated.

Dis

I think the main character of FF8 is kind of relatable. Doesnt love himself. And who can blame him? He got abandonment issues.

And everybody looking to him for the leadership role which he never asked for, as if he knows wtf to do.

And he aint ungrateful. He just doing his damn job and doesnt want all the extra bullshit.

I think its a great story and has great character development. He’s learning to trust his environment.

Idk i like him.

And the music is PHENOMENAL. World design/setting PHENOMENAL. Characters PHENOMENAL. It has issues with the narrative. But damn FF8 is a masterpiece and idgf what anybody has to say.

10/10 Squaresoft classic.

Last edited:
That didn't stop FF7R from making changes lol. Not sure how many caught on to what was shown in that new trailer, but the FF7Rebirth game is about to

pull a 'Laguna' with Zack.

So they could definitely go crazy or crazier with FF8 if they wanted to. So to me it's still funny that, if this rumor is true, they skipped it and said 'actually no, X instead'.
This is a way I'd kind of be okay with him showing up actually.. back in the past where he belongs. Despite that we've seen his story in Crisis Core, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to some of that. But considering how big a task VII is I just don't see where they have the time for that. He better stay in the coffin though.

This is a way I'd kind of be okay with him showing up actually.. back in the past where he belongs. Despite that we've seen his story in Crisis Core, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to some of that. But considering how big a task VII is I just don't see where they have the time for that. He better stay in the coffin though.
I mean…

Since there’s a heavy implication that future Sephiroth split the timeline, that means that the timeline they showed in the trailer intro (where the main cast died but Zack lived and Cloud’s missing) could be real, but just not the main timeline. Remember, there is still potentially a ‘Sephiroth Prime’ running around doing the original actions he did in FF7 which will cause even more chaos for the main party, all while future Sephiroth is still screwing with them. It’s a wonderful mess of time shenanigans that is making all of this a fun ride and I’m hoping that they manage to pull off something special with it, all while giving you those special moments from the original timeline.

I mean…

Since there’s a heavy implication that future Sephiroth split the timeline, that means that the timeline they showed in the trailer intro (where the main cast died but Zack lived and Cloud’s missing) could be real, but just not the main timeline. Remember, there is still potentially a ‘Sephiroth Prime’ running around doing the original actions he did in FF7 which will cause even more chaos for the main party, all while future Sephiroth is still screwing with them. It’s a wonderful mess of time shenanigans that is making all of this a fun ride and I’m hoping that they manage to pull off something special with it, all while giving you those special moments from the original timeline.
Please no 😭. 😆 Sigh.

Top Bottom