• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr00per

This should make for a Very Fine Drama.

I see what you did there.

I was also a fan growing up. I may be because the trailer jumped around a bit but something about the visual language seems... off somehow.

It seems very whimsical...Maybe it's just my inner 12 year old but I kind of wish they went darker. I could see how they'd be afraid of going too dark, though.

I do like that they'll be delving into VFD however

hydruxo

It's only the first four books? That's disappointing. We'll barely see something new that wasn't in the movie. I was hoping we could get at least half the book series in one season.

I hope they do manage to film the next seasons so we can see the whole thing finally. The movie was great, but the story is just left hanging there.

Well there's alot of books, the way they're filming it makes sense. 8 episodes for the first season, and 2 eps per book. We'll get more faithful adaptations this way with more screentime for each book. I'd much rather them do it this way than try to rush and squeeze in 6-7 books in one season.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see what you did there.

I was also a fan growing up. I may be because the trailer jumped around a bit but something about the visual language seems... off somehow.

It seems very whimsical...Maybe it's just my inner 12 year old but I kind of wish they went darker. I could see how they'd be afraid of going too dark, though.

I do like that they'll be delving into VFD however

Yup. I'm looking forward to Friday. It's going to be a Very Fine Day.

Pretty stoked to hear this is getting great reviews. My one worry is Neil Patrick Harris. I generally like him, but haven't seen much to convince me he can be as terrifying as Olaf needs to be further into the series.

tr00per

Pretty stoked to hear this is getting great reviews. My one worry is Neil Patrick Harris. I generally like him, but haven't seen much to convince me he can be as terrifying as Olaf needs to be further into the series.

That is a concern for me, too. With all due respect to jim carrey I had the same problem with the movie. I know Olaf is not terribly bright and is very full of himself but he shouldn't come off as a total dork. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

hydruxo

I saw a review that said they felt he topped Carrey's performance actually, but of course that's a subjective thing, so we'll just have to wait and see. I was unsure on NPH as Olaf too but I've warmed up to it as more trailers have come out.

zeemumu

That is a concern for me, too. With all due respect to jim carrey I had the same problem with the movie. I know Olaf is not terribly bright and is very full of himself but he shouldn't come off as a total dork. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

He came off as more hammy than he should have been in the movie. He's hammy in the book but he's Bowser hammy, not Robbie Rotten hammy.

hydruxo

Have any reviews given their thoughts on Patrick Warburton's Snicket?

Here's one:

Patrick Warburton very quickly becomes the only Lemony Snicket you'll be able to imagine. Where Jude Law in the film depicted the narrator as a softly spoken reclusive writer, Warburton is more of a droll noir detective, walking in and out of scenes to comment on proceedings with wry humour and occasional flashes of melancholy and gravitas. In short, he is a pitch perfect, if unexpected, take on arguably the most important character in the series.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/a-series-of-unfortunate-events/46246/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-spoiler-free-review

Every review I've read seems to really like his portrayal.

hydruxo

Supposedly the theme song changes for each book in the show. Somebody in the comments of the video was saying NPH mentioned it in an interview, but not sure which one. We'll find out soon though!

zeemumu

Supposedly the theme song changes for each book in the show. Somebody in the comments of the video was saying NPH mentioned it in an interview, but not sure which one. We'll find out soon though!

I wouldn't be surprised. Barring a few things on that cork board, just about everything in that intro references the first book.

This series absolutely depends on Olaf's portrayal, I haven't felt comforted by what I've seen of Neil in the series thus far, and definitely doesn't fit my image of him, especially vocally.

hydruxo

This series absolutely depends on Olaf's portrayal, I haven't felt comforted by what I've seen of Neil in the series thus far, and definitely doesn't fit my image of him, especially vocally.

I think he'll be pretty good. What I've seen in the reviews are that his Olaf is solid, but where he really shines is when he's playing one of Olaf's alter egos.

Only read the first three books many years ago, but I remember really liking them. Looking forward to this a lot.

The comments about the Wes Anderson-esque tone and scenery sound very promising. Considering the kind of movies I usually like, I was surprised by how much I loved Wes' films and style, so a weird Gothic take on that is right up my alley

Arondight

Wow, almost forgot about this show. Incredibly excited to watch it and need to probably renew my subscription.

Hoping to be surprised by the performance of Count Olaf because the trailers aren't making it seems so good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Almost done with the first episode. Really strong debut. Dialogue is razor sharp.

Haha There's a bit in the Reptile Room that reminds me so much of Fantastic Beasts

edit* OH SHIT Hell of an Easter Egg (or plot point I guess), do we discuss them here
?

There is an ton of foreshadowing, were can we discuss it?

PaulloDEC

Just finished the first episode. Seems fun! The show has a nice look to it and I'm enjoying all the performances. Interested to see where it all goes.

At 11:20 in the Reptile Room you can see
Hector's Aircraft
from the Vile Village in Lemony Snickets Window

This show is somehow feeling even more set up'y' than the Books, which is an achievment

Sanctuary

So NPH as Olaf works out well enough? My only worry about this show at this point.

So far he's not quite as overbearingly odd, goofy and creepy as Carrey was, but is instead more menacing, playful and arrogant. Almost Sweeny Todd like I guess, which would make sense since he has played that role as well. Although it's been forever since I've seen the movie, so I might be misremembering Carrey. Regardless, I really like Neil Patrick Harris' portrayal in this. He's a real dick, but a very entertaining one.

edit: He actually didn't play Sweeny Todd, but Tobias Ragg in the Sweeny Todd musical. Regardless, he does come off somewhat like Depp's Todd at times. I can't get over how much the show looks like Pushing Daisies, or a Tim Burton directed movie.

I haven't read the books, but after finishing the first episode I'm very impressed. I was unconvinced by Neil Patrick Harris in the trailers, but my hesitation was quickly dispelled. I can't wait to watch more. If the quality is this consistent throughout, it'll no doubt end up as one of my favourite Netflix Original Series.

It's been a while since I read the books, but
were the parents still secretly alive in the books? I don't remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom