• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Series of Unfortunate Events |OT| The Dreary Discussion - Netflix 1/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were Nigel and Sir in the Miserable Mill always a
Gay Couple?

I havent reread the earlier books in such a lomg time lol

edit* OH JEEZ THAT BAIT AND SWITCH

The Miserable Mill Part One is brutal

UKUMI0

Were Nigel and Sir in the Miserable Mill always a
Gay Couple?
It was implied but never explicitly said and left up to interpretation. Guess the show decided to skip all that.

Maybe if the books had confirmed it the books would have been met with more outrage like the author wanted.

Just finished season one and I'm so thankful season two has already been confirmed because this show is pretty much as close as you can get to a live action retelling.

I read the series probably two times when I was younger. I was super into the lore was well.

This show absolutely nails the tone and style. I'm kinda blown away.

That series was phenomenal

Magneto-perfection.gif

I wish I'd re-read the books before watching this because there is so much that I've forgotten about in the past 10 or so years. Only watched the first two episodes so far but they're great, they really nail the tone of the series.

DeviantBoi

I thought that "look away" in the intro song was repeated too many times.

Now, as I was walking down a corridor at work, I found myself humming "look away, look away..."

Watched the first episode and I thought it was brilliant!

I'll binge it this weekend.

zeemumu

Spoilers for Book 6

Weird that they revealed that secret passage between the Baudelaire mansion and the elevator shaft so early

Man they
cranked up the shittiness of Mr. Poe and his family to 11. But the lack of empathy ties in well to what Snicket said about not being able to imagine what it's like to lose someone.

Or maybe I downplayed it in my mind because everything else that happens is so much worse by comparison.

hydruxo

Oh my god this is perfect so far. It's like the pages of the books jumping onto the screen. Also holy shit at that Ep 1
ending with the Baudelaire parents still alive.

I'm probably going to have to reread the series before season 2. I haven't started the show yet, but I can't remember a goddam thing past book 3.

I'm probably going to have to reread the series before season 2. I haven't started the show yet, but I can't remember a goddam thing past book 3.

Well, I see they cut it off after book 4. That's good. If the seasons adhere to story arcs it should be books 1-4, 5-7, 8-10, and 11-13

They've made one major change that's sure to make book readers go wtf, but other than it's a really faithful adaption that does a good job of tying things together with foreshadowing.
Oh, if the change is what I saw in an above comment,
then they are holding suspense for the paper that the siblings find in book 8.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Im only halfway through Academy. Does this season stay away from spoilers for later books and only stick to the stuff that happened in the first 4 it covers?

stupei

Starting episode 2. The narration is pretty intrusive and annoying. So far I'm still not hooked.

If you find that off putting, it honestly might not be for you. That's the tone of the series and I think the adaptation nails it perfectly so far, as I near the end of episode 2.

I just finished Ep 2, but so far this is the most faithful book to screen adaptation I've seen in a very long time. It's fantastic.
I'm watching right now! They're actually narrating it! Patrick Warburton is Lemony! They have the perfect style and Violet's inventions; UNLIMITED HYPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dali

If you find that off putting, it honestly might not be for you. That's the tone of the series and I think the adaptation nails it perfectly so far, as I near the end of episode 2.

That's an integral part of the books and tone in general. You cant adapt the series without that
Thanks for the heads up. They are foreshadowing
his role or the agency/group he may be a part of are actually relevant and maybe his role will go past that of narrator.
Not sure if I care to keep watching to find out.

v1lla21

Yall saying this is exactly how you imagine the books being got me hyped like crazy. Only 40 minutes until I get out and I can binge.

zeemumu

Lemony is the tunnel!
Erstaz Elevator hype! VFD hype!

Yeah there were a lot of references to other events, like
Quagmire, Widdershins, and Spats on the signs on the wall

And
Vigorously Fixed Destination
. Nice.

And

"Though I can't seem to find the sugar bowl."
Also nice

A question to all book readers: Did they fuck it up?

Nah, they did a great job.

It's been a while so I don't remember if this happens, but in the books doesn't
the Hook Handed Man do a heel face turn at some point
down the line? I feel like they're setting that up but I don't remember if that was already a thing.

Im only halfway through Academy. Does this season stay away from spoilers for later books and only stick to the stuff that happened in the first 4 it covers?

There are nods but nothing that would stick out unless you already knew about it.

Order

Future season spoiler

I can't wait to see Sunny using her teeth in a swordfight. It's gonna be so goofy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom