• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Zero Time Dilemma Preorders - Aksys Watch Tax in Europe is 10x Atlus Tax!

Phenomic

So my theory about what happened is something on the lines of this, and honestly at this point I feel like someone would have to step in and take the hit and neither seems to probably want to at the end of the day.

1. Someone high enough up at Amazon in their distribution service would have to have taken noticed and been in contact with someone at Aksys to know there was a damage on part of the item only and that they would indeed be able to confirm that they can guarantee the preorders to match the number of watch requests.

2. Amazon would then thus probably have to take it upon themselves to create a new SKU for the watches while subsequently transferring everyone's Watch orders to a normal sku. This would make it look clean on the back end and they'd have to add another order to someones account without the user being involved. They probably can't do this for some reason if I had to guess or just simply don't operate this way as a business (which is a shame because custom issue solving like this would really go a huge long way into a corporation earning my loyalty) They're probably just going to try to wait until they get the whole product and push back until this happens and probably get away with it if the August dates are any indication.

3. They're probably not telling Aksys any of this, but who really knows what conversations they've had and honestly someone they've talked too could just be feeding them bad information just as easily as them over promising. We've all seen how many customer services reps at this point are just saying stock sentences that don't mean much as per usual. Aksys subsequently probably spoke to soon after talking to their rep at Amazon thinking it wouldn't be a big deal and I wouldn't be shocked if someone told them as much. (Lets face it I know theres a lot of red tape, but this exactly that complex of an issue.

4. Really at this point, and once again I don't expect this to happen. I'm not sure how easy it is to dish out digital download codes, and while I know there's certain risk involved because you're in theory giving away money. You'd obviously require some proof of purchase, but this still seems like the easiest solution to making it right because you're getting people playing your game and then virtually all of those people are going to be super happy with your business and praise you highly for quickly remedying a problem and going above and beyond.

I'd at least like to think most of the people buying "Watch editions" aren't going to just charge back their credit cards when someone goes above and beyond to do something to make a situation right. Though when you tell me I'm wrong about that I guess I can't say I'd be shocked.

I hope someone can step in and get it resolved cleanly though, but I'm starting to lose faith that even if we do get the games skipped out that the watches will even show correctly. I think I'll just suck it up, double dip and pick up a STEAM copy There's worse companies that could get my money than Aksys / Spike Chunsoft I suppose.

Venfayth

Amazon rep thinks it'll be delivered in August (that's the date they expect the watches to arrive) - upgraded me to one day delivery. I'll probably give them a few days after the game launches to see if they (Amazon or Aksys) will make it right. If they won't then I'll cancel and buy it on Steam or something.

Hikami

I'm just gonna cancel the pre-order if it hasn't shipped (or at least have some concrete info..) by the time it's out on Steam. I don't need the watch at this point. Just want to play the game.

Meia

Sigh, this whole situation is pathetic. A delay of one month for one specific retailer for people who pre-ordered over a year ago just is not acceptable, and yeah, it doesn't sound like Aksys did anything remotely competent here.

Sigh, this whole situation is pathetic. A delay of one month for one specific retailer for people who pre-ordered over a year ago just is not acceptable, and yeah, it doesn't sound like Aksys did anything remotely competent here.

The worst part about it is that this can't even be called an honest mistake. This is the SECOND fuck-up Aksys has had with watches, the first being with overestimating the number of pre-order bonuses they could fulfill with VLR.

yami4ct

1 Amazon CS rep says a month. Another says they'll ship tomorrow. No one has a fucking clue. CS has as much info as we do. Anything could happen at this point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll wait for tomorrow to see if we get an official update. If the wait is long, I might just use my $25 GS certificate I'll get later this week on a copy, then once I actually get the game + watch + "bonus" from Amazon, just sell that copy.

Tohsaka

I'll probably cancel my pre-order in a couple days if the game hasn't shipped, not going to wait around forever while other people I know are already playing it and have to avoid spoilers.

What? Why? Looking at their twitter for Danny, it looks like Aksys did what they could on their end.

1. It's a situation created by Aksys

2. This is the second time that mismanagement by Aksys lost me the pre-order watch

3. Aksys' updates on the matter have been demonstratively not accurate, and seem to have done nothing but make people confused

Aksys created a problem and then did a pretty poor job of handling it. Maybe, MAYBE if this is the first time Aksys fucked up the watch pre-orders, I'd be more forgiving. That they didn't plan ahead better and try to avoid another watch debacle speaks to me pretty poorly of Aksys.

Will these will be available on PSN and Nintendo E-shop? Does anyone have any idea of the time frame for them? I'm tempted to just get it digitally. I noticed bestbuy doesn't even give you an option of ordering it and picking up in store. Was hoping to use GCU and get a discount.

Dr. Letz Shake

Neo Member
if I didn't think I'd come across some mindless ghoul casually letting loose a huge plot point I could wait a month. I didn't actually pay for a game yet so I don't mind the actual act of waiting.

But as 2 companies dealing with customers, making people who pre-ordered their game a year ago wait an extra month with no compensation is terrible business practice no matter what.

yami4ct

Will these will be available on PSN and Nintendo E-shop? Does anyone have any idea of the time frame for them? I'm tempted to just get it digitally. I noticed bestbuy doesn't even give you an option of ordering it and picking up in store. Was hoping to use GCU and get a discount.

Yes it will be on both stores as soon as they update. I don't personally know when that is.

Venfayth

Aksys also said they'd try to make it right with something bonus. It seems like Amazon is having more issues than Gamestop.

They're trying, just personally I am going to give them more time to make it right.

Also yeah I wouldn't take anything super seriously from the CS reps - the guy who told me August got that information by changing the shipping speed in the system to see what date it updated to. It seems like there's more going on behind the scenes that they may not be privy to.

Ridley327

3DS version will be up when the store updates at 12 PM EST/9 AM PST. Vita version will be up whenever Sony decides to update the store, which is generally a bit later in the afternoon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just got an e-mail from Amazon:

We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. The new delivery date is indicated below. If you still want to receive this item, please let us know. We apologize for the delay.

New estimated delivery date: Not yet available. We'll e-mail you as soon as we have a delivery date.
I'm also asked to confirm if I still want the item.

LiK

Just got an e-mail from Amazon:

I'm also asked to confirm if I still want the item.

yea, i'm guessing Amazon doesn't want to ship them without the watches or maybe their entire batch is delayed. so freakin' annoyed.

The problem is on Aksys no doubt. Amazon expected the watch edition and never received them. They told Amazon what happened and now its going to take time to straighten it out. Sounds like they were told late, so thats the reason for the delay.

LiK

i might consider buying a standalone copy but i'm not sure i wanna reward this issue. might just wait. gonna be painful. hopefully people keep all their spoiler talk in the spoiler thread.

BTA

I'm tempted to ask Aksys to give me a free code for Steam so that I can play it on midnight.

They're not handling the Steam version; Spike Chunsoft is. And it's releasing day behind the other versions anyway.

In any case: I'm heavily tempted to eat $40 and just grab it on PSN if I don't get any update tomorrow. I'm gonna talk to a rep tonight but I guess that's practically meaningless at this point anyway.

Eh I will double dip. Not waiting anymore for this game.

I don't care when I get the watch as long as it comes. Whole situation is messed up.

Haven't seen any e-mails from Amazon yet though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Amazon: "You want us to ship half the bundled SKU out then ship the other half a month later to all these customers? And you're telling us this now!?

No no no, that's too complicated, just send us the other half asap and and it goes out in one shipment."

I wouldn't blame them.

So I'm expecting the following things or Amazon & Aksys have lost a customer forever.

Zero Time Dilemma for Vita
A broken watch
A normal watch
A bonus artbook
Your father
I dunno, like 5$ to Amazon
Street Fighter V: Collector's Edition for PC
An Oculus Rift
An HTC Vive for me to wear on top of my Oculus Rift
Sunglasses

So I'm expecting the following things or Amazon & Aksys have lost a customer forever.

Zero Time Dilemma for Vita
A broken watch
A normal watch
A bonus artbook
Your father
I dunno, like 5$ to Amazon
Street Fighter V: Collector's Edition for PC
An Oculus Rift
An HTC Vive for me to wear on top of my Oculus Rift
Sunglasses

You forgot Zero Time Dilemma for Vita

Just confirming the cs probably don't know anything, the guy I spoke to said they wouldn't have stock for months. He didn't know about the copies being sent out first. Amazons merchant services is really bad & slow so they probably told aksys one thing, then didn't follow up with their promise. I think it's an amazon issue.

Sucks about the further delays - haven't even received my email from Amazon yet but August doesn't seem too bad of a wait for this.

Preferably, I'd have loved it sooner and got the watch later but again, I can deal with the wait.

Amazon: "You want us to ship half the bundled SKU out then ship the other half a month later to all these customers? And you're telling us this now!?

No no no, that's too complicated, just send us the other half asap and and it goes out in one shipment."

I wouldn't blame them.
Yep that's pretty much what's gonna happen imo.

So someone run down the whole situation for me, because I keep hearing different things. My understanding is:

- Aksys took preorders for the Watch Edition last year
- That was an individual SKU, not interchangeable with the regular SKU
- Aksys says they got damaged in shipping
- They did not tell Amazon this until the eleventh hour
- Aksys' suggestion to Amazon was to separate the game from the watch bundle, send it out to everyone who ordered the Watch Edition, then ship the watch later without the game.
- Amazon thinks this is dumb and is delaying it a month

marrec

Banned
So someone run down the whole situation for me, because I keep hearing different things. My understanding is:

- Aksys' suggestion to Amazon was to separate the game from the watch bundle, send it out to everyone who ordered the Watch Edition, then ship the watch later without the game.

Pretty much?

We don't know when exactly Aksys told retailers but it was presumably within the last 4 days.

yami4ct

Mostly true. We don't know when Aksys told Amazon about the problem, but we got notification late. We don't know when Aksys got the damaged goods and knew about the problem. We also don't know what Amazon's response is at all. They might have told them OK, but it got lost in the shuffle. We only know that they haven't returned Aksys' attempt to contact them today.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think Aksys will eventually just be like "let's just ship the watches ourselves, send us proof that you ordered the game from Amazon or whoever with the watch edition & we'll ship them out whenever we get the replacement watches"?

Top Bottom