• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC orders pilot of Garth Ennis' PREACHER

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Go fuck yourself."
*guy cuts off own dick, proceeds to fuck himself*
You do not actually see this happen, only the before and after. The truly inescapably graphic and profane stuff starts happening with Jesus de Sade or the reaver cleaver stuff. A pilot of the first few issues would be fine for broadcast at faithful levels of violence minus the fucking and the titties.

dan2026

You don't think they've had those conversations with their largest advertisers? Of course they have. They're self-regulating because they have to be.

Sounds like its time to get new advertisers.

When these people are basically dictating what can and cant be shown on your channel, you fucked up.

Cant wait for the adventures of Arseface.

Spin-off with sub-titles ?

getimg.php

pulga

Banned
Oh wow. Preacher is the first non tights and capes graphic novel I ever read.

I can't wait to see Arseface. Don't pussy out, AMC.

If only 75% of the comic makes it, that would be a win in my book. They could then release the other 25% [deleted scenes etc] on BluRay for the fans of the series. Hell, great incentive to buy the BDs if they go about it as such.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If advertisers are lining up in droves to pour money into the show featuring 30 headshots per hour and the show with the murderous meth cook, the fact those shows say "fuck" 4 or 5 times a show won't make any difference.

Their stance on that point is mindless. Subject matter loses advertisers, not language.

Breaking Bad murdered MULTIPLE children onscreen. Advertisers lost? 0. They can afford to drop extra f-bombs.

I'm not sure you understand America. Violence is cool. Sex and language? An affront to God.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Oh sweet Jesus, please be a decent adaptation. One of my favourite comics ever.

I already have a few casting suggestions:

Cassidy - Dylan Moran

cassidy.jpg

21moranRex-_605119s.jpg

The Saint of Killers - Ron Perlman

Saint_of_Killers.jpg

ron-perlman-talks-sons-of-anarchy-big-reveal.jpg

slabrock

Banned
Well if HBO said it was too dark and violent and controversial how is AMC gonna pull it off without watering it down immensely?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
...preacher is rated R for sure...they should do hellblazer or sandman at least it can be faithful

Sandman needs dem special effects. Also its loose with sexuality. It definitely would not be faithful on AMC.

But Sandman and Death have both been pitched a million times as movies and tv series and its never panned out.

akira28

this new please me greatl-

iopeW4mMn7gE4.gif

basically :(((

I hadn't heard that HBO killed their project, and AMC will do a cinema quality cable series. But...they'll make it without balls. Gore? Sure. Balls? Not the kind of shit Preacher had in it. That whole cake eating evil bulimic motherfucker? The shit throwing inbred? The demon-fucking? Do they even allow interracial demonfucking on regular cable?

iddqd

Still one of my favorite comic runs
(until Cassidy turned traitor)

I'm exited to see who the get, what vision they have but yeah, AMC might be a wrong idea for this comic.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want this.

Walking Dead has its haters but I think it's pretty amazing we have a show like that airing today.

Preacher will take it to another level. I am so ready.

Read every issue, including the minis. <3

Still wish it were HBO, I know. They're stupid for passing on this. Fuck True Blood.

Thankfully it's this, and not The Boys that they're screwing up first. Gives me a bit of relief. Preacher just didn't strike me as a page-turner.
The Boys? I bought every single issue.

If God isn't portrayed or referred to as a coward, I will be sad. Really enjoyed the idea of Him running away from his problems.

They will probably not succeed in covering the scale of the series, but maybe they can up on some other quality.

I got two volumes in and loved it. Ennis is crazy writing. Still need to get the other volumes.

Switters

"You shower of assholes" Best line in a series of amazing lines.

If I were in charge I would give Christoph Waltz anything he wanted to play Starr.

Toa TAK

Banned
The Walking Dead was actually pretty good for the first half of its third season. Then of course, it became shit when it came back from its mid-season break.

It's doing pretty good right now, since the 4th season started.

Let's hope it continues.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well if HBO said it was too dark and violent and controversial how is AMC gonna pull it off without watering it down immensely?

The HBO version was to be a shot for shot replica of the comic, so it was probably would have been very graphic and crazy. At this point we have no idea (I don't think anyway) if the AMC version is the same adaptation that HBO dropped (with the highly acclaimed writer of Daredevil and Ghost Rider attached to write) or if it's a completely different adaptation with a different creative vision and set of writers.

The latter is most likely to be the case, so I think it's probable that AMC's version will only be loosely based on the Preacher comics (similar to how The Walking Dead is only very loosely based on the comics). If this goes to series, expect lots of violence but very little swearing, no nudity, and a drastic cut back on the religious...blasphemery.

As great as BB was, AMC makes more stinkers than great shows.

Low Winter Sun is the only stinker that AMC has made though.

Unless the Walking Dead did a miraculous turn around halfway through season 2 I expect shit.

You expect shit from Preacher because a totally unrelated show on the same channel isn't to your liking? What?

Dabanton

I would rather see this on somewhere like Netflix.

I can sadly see them pulling to many punches being on AMC. I would love to be proved wrong.

megamerican

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. AMC's track record has been pretty good. I've read a bit of the series and to be honest, I doubt any network would air some of that stuff even if they could. GoT gets fucked up but its in a classy way, Preacher is just straight fucked up sometimes.

I liked DJ Caruso's recent movie about the kids at summer camp.

HBO should adapt The Boys into a TV series.

Only if Simon Pegg was doing Wee Hughie, because Wee Hughie is obviously Simon Pegg.
But Pegg has gone on record saying that he's too old for the role, so that's out.
I dunno if even HBO could really do The Boys justice, for all it's faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom