• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC orders pilot of Garth Ennis' PREACHER

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

Banned
I'd rather have no Preacher series than one that is severely toned down.

It's a shame Luongo's signed here forever, otherwise he'd make a perfect Jesse:

Q7rmt8D.jpg

Look at those crazy eyes!

Leunam

So the first episode will be awesome and then AMC will do whatever they want with the rest of the series until it becomes hot garbage.

When they did it with The Walking Dead I didn't care because that comic turned to shit anyway, but Preacher was fantastic the whole way through.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So the first episode will be awesome and then AMC will do whatever they want with the rest of the series until it becomes hot garbage.

they did it with The Walking Dead

Where do people get this stuff?

That has literally never happened with any AMC show.

Leunam

You're going to tell me that AMC, and whoever worked on the show, followed how the comics played out and kept key characters faithful to the originals after the first episode?

Because the last time I read the comics, Andrea was still alive and not the most hated character in the story. After a stellar first few episodes, they went in another direction while mucking up some key plot points. It's pretty clear you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

To see this potentially happening to Preacher, one of my favorite stories in existence, makes me sad.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah he's right. AMC is going to bastardize this just like they bastardized Walking Dead. But this one will be bastardized because there is no human way possible for them to be faithful to the source material without a complete revision of their imposed censorship.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You're going to tell me that AMC, and whoever worked on the show, followed how the comics played out and kept key characters faithful to the originals after the first episode?

Because the last time I read the comics, Andrea was still alive and not the most hated character in the story. After a stellar first few episodes, they went in another direction while mucking up some key plot points. It's pretty clear you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Just because they didn't closely follow the comics doesn't mean that it's instantly bad. Some of the changes were for the worse and some were for the better. Robert Kirkman, the creator of the comics, is heavily involved with the show and has a lot of clout at AMC and it was he who urged the writers to deviate so heavily from the comics.

The show has had multiple showrunners and a large variety of writers working on the show over the years, so it hasn't been under the same creative vision throughout its entire run. Frank Darabont's vision for the series was different from what Glen Mazzara's vision was, which was different from what the current showrunner Scott Gimple's vision is.

Do you watch the show? You can readily see the differences in creative direction with each change in showrunner. I'm sure AMC sends notes to the writers for some things, as is the case for most (?) networks, but it's naive to assume that "AMC" is some sort of nefarious entity that is out to ruin television or whatever it is you seem to think.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Elijah Wood as Arseface

Yeah he's right. AMC is going to bastardize this just like they bastardized Walking Dead. But this one will be bastardized because there is no human way possible for them to be faithful to the source material without a complete revision of their imposed censorship.

Yup. The series is one of the most fucked up, depraved, disgusting, insane, hilarious, and amazing things ever. Neuter it in any way and you might as well not even bother.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If this were like 15 years ago, I would've said Robert Carlyle would make a good Cassidy. But he's a little to old now...

Amir0x

Banned
Yup. The series is one of the most fucked up, depraved, disgusting, insane, hilarious, and amazing things ever. Neuter it in any way and you might as well not even bother.

Yeah. This is a clear case where you literally cannot reduce that stuff without destroying part of what made the series work and be so appealing in the first place.

I mean the series might be a decent TV show, but it certainly won't be a decent PREACHER show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
...there are enjoyable things about The Walking Dead show. Darryl being at the top of that list. But you cannot make a convincing case that the plot, characterization, and general pace of the show went off the rails after the pilot, which just happens to be the only episode that followed the comics closely.

Kirkman isn't a genius, his dialogue was always crap, his love for soap opera always shows through in his work, but it's a lot more consistent and enjoyable than the show.

I mean come on... look at Andrea. One of the best characters from the books turned into a whiny, annoying wreck of a character. And don't get me started on what they did to Lori.

Yes, but my point is that "AMC" isn't responsible for turning Andrea into shit, etc. That was Frank Darabont and his writing team; Glen Mazarra and his writing team; and Robert Kirkman. The problems that The Walking Dead experiences aren't due to AMC being a shitty channel that magically turns everything they touch to shit, but because the people actually writing the show are making these poor decisions.

Poor decisions that have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on any of the other shows that air on AMC.

I'd be excited if it was green lit, turned out to be good and was made by HBO.

One of those is a possibility, the other unlikely and the last impossible.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well the AMC version of The Walking Dead is pretty ball-less compared to the comic version, so I have my doubts about a faithful adaption of Preacher. But if it's a hit, gets more people interested in the material and is fun to watch, Awesome.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC has had high profile disputes with creators on Mad Men and The Walking Dead, arguably their flagship shows by a wide margin until Breaking Bad caught on late in its run (and I don't believe they own Breaking Bad). Matthew Weiner had to hold out for months over payment and budget issues, which stood to directly affect the show because AMC wanted him to demote leads to supporting/guest roles.

This shit affects their shows. Directly.

All the big showrunner fights so far have been due to budgetary concerns and budget is by far the least of The Walking Dead's problems. (and budget, as far as I'm aware, is no longer even an issue btw)

The Walking Dead's main problems are/were with the writing and acting, neither of which have any bearing on any of the other shows on AMC - past, present, or future.

To put it simply, Lori and Andrea wouldn't have become great characters had AMC not cut the per-episode budget in season 2.

Jaysis its my fave graphic novel set of all time. Not sure how they will do it but it should be awesome. Cant wait to see who they cast as the fat bastard who needs to be carried everywhere.

BLACKLAC

Wish Netflix got this. :(

AMC Couldn't even do The Walking dead's dark. Best believe they will not come close to living up to this source material.

ЯAW

Banned
AMC does what HBO doesn't. Good news! I hope they can follow the source material close as possible, make it right AMC!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC's 'Preacher', from the folks that brought you Knocked Up, Superbad, Pineapple Express, Funny People, and The Green Hornet!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This actually comes off as a good sign for me. Rogen is a huge fan of the material and I doubt he would do some quick bastardized cash in.

He's apparently worked for 7 years to bring this to the big (small?) screen, so it does seem as though he at least has a passion for the material.

Decado

I wonder if there's a possibility they film an "uncut" version of each episode for the home video releases? Probably too much to ask...in which case do not want.

Cinemax or STARZ should have gotten this.

Gorillaz

Ehhh..not sure bout this....but since Low Winter Sun (which they are trying desperately to make it the new Wire) is flopping hard as fuck, they need some sort of edgy show to lead the charge since BB and MM are ending

Edit: I don't think they can pull of the darkness of it either, they can't even tap deeper into the Prison storyline for Walking Dead.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ehhh..not sure bout this....but since Low Winter Sun (which they are trying desperately to make it the new Wire) is flopping hard as fuck, they need some sort of edgy show to lead the charge since BB and MM are ending

I think it's smart. They want more people tuning into their channel and one way of ensuring that that happens is by making something big and attention grabbing and controversial. Like The Walking Dead. Something that you can't get on any other channel. Something that feels edgy and unique.

As we saw with Low Winter Sun, trying to position your new series as "The Next..." in no way guarantees that it'll be successful or critically acclaimed. Making something like Preacher should, theoretically anyway, guarantee at least the former.

oh yes, I agree. I don't think AMC knows what they're getting into or if they do we as fans of the comics are fucked. There's no way to do this justice on AMC unless they relax their policies

The only place I could see a faithful adaptation happening is Netflix. Maybe HBO.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'll be the 809th person to say America has far too vocal a Christian community to ever let this air properly. It is impossible for this to be adapted faithfully on American television.

DrSlek

I really didn't enjoy Preacher all that much. I get what Ennis was trying to do, but his way of beating the reader over the head with the point he's trying to make is annoying. He does it in almost every book he writes.

The only Garth Ennis series I liked was Punisher MAX.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope these guys enjoy getting buttfucked repeatedly by AMC executives.

Forget censorship or faithfulness to the source material. AMC rewards success with budget cuts.

The budget cuts of The Walking Dead only pertained to season 2. Season 2 was a huge success so they increased the budget for season 3 and season 3 was an even bigger success, so, I believe, they increased the budget again for season 4.

Regardless, The Walking Dead is no longer suffering due to budget cuts (if it ever did) and this whole ordeal that people keep bringing up was several years ago.

Zabka

The budget cuts of The Walking Dead only pertained to season 2. Season 2 was a huge success so they increased the budget for season 3 and season 3 was an even bigger success, so, I believe, they increased the budget again for season 4.

Regardless, The Walking Dead is no longer suffering due to budget cuts (if it ever did) and this whole ordeal that people keep bringing up was several years ago.

If it ever did? They put the kibosh on the standalone second season premier (that was planned since the first episode was shot) due to it being too expensive. Then the showrunner got booted.

Do you have any links about the season 3/4 episode budget? I'm curious to see if it's back to Season 1 levels.

Kurt Sutter said it best after he heard Glen Mazzara was leaving
AMC is run by small-minded, bottom-line thinkers who have no appreciation or gratitude for the effort of it’s creative personnel. Time and time again we see events like what happened today with Glen Mazzara. They continue to disrespect writers, shit on their audience and bury their network. Mazzara took the work-in-progress that was “Walking Dead” and turned it into a viable TV show with a future. Without him, that future is dim. Showrunners are not development executives, we’re not cookiecutter douchebags that you plug into a preexisting model. TWD will suffer. Even Zombies need consistency. “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad” will be gone soon. So will AMC. I hope their fucking stock takes a dive and the shareholders line up Sapan, Dolan and Collier and shit in their open hands. Cunts.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If it ever did? They put the kibosh on the standalone second season premier (that was planned since the first episode was shot) due to it being too expensive. Then the showrunner got booted.

Sure, they lost the original season 2 premiere, which is a shame because it sounded sort of cool (though totally inessential to the actual main plot of the series), but losing some of the per episode budget (3.4 million from season 1 down to 2.8 million for season 2) was really the least of the show's concerns. A bummer, for sure, but bigger set pieces and more zombies wouldn't have made the show any better.

Do you have any links about the season 3/4 episode budget? I'm curious to see if it's back to Season 1 levels.

No links, and there certainly aren't any solid numbers out there for seasons 3 or 4, but it's just sort of common knowledge at this point that 3 had a larger budget than season 2. I seem to remember reading that 4 had a larger budget than 3, though I'm not sure if I just dreamed it, but it's at the very least on par with season 3's budget. If they had slashed it again we would have heard something.

Kurt Sutter said it best after he heard Glen Mazzara was leaving:

Mazzara took the work-in-progress that was “Walking Dead” and turned it into a viable TV show with a future. Without him, that future is dim. TWD will suffer. Even Zombies need consistency.

Mazzara took the boring disaster with one dimensional characters (all due to Darabont's ineptitude as a showrunner) that was “The Walking Dead” and turned it into an exciting rollercoaster with the same one dimensional characters as passengers, that completely flew off the rails during the second half of season 3.

Firing Darabont was in the show's best interest and firing Mazzara was in the show's best interest. Zombies may need consistency, but if remaining consistent means that the show consistently remains a boring mess, then no thanks. Neither Darabont or Mazzara knew how to make a show with compelling characters and storylines and action and suspense.

Scott Gimple's vision for the series is, so far, much much better than that of his predecessors and thankfully AMC seems to be sticking with him for the time being.

Why would God have to be scared of this guy/creature whatever.
He should be able to snap his fingers and make the problem go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom