• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC's Preacher adaptation ordered to series; premieres Sunday, May 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Full PR from AMC:

AMC today announced it has ordered a series based on the twisted and popular ‘90s comic book franchise “Preacher,” created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. The Sony Pictures Television and AMC Studios co-production was developed for television by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg (“This Is the End,” “Superbad,” “Neighbors”) and showrunner Sam Catlin (“Breaking Bad”). Rogen & Goldberg will produce the series through their Point Grey banner, along with Neal Moritz’s Original Film. AMC has ordered 10 one-hour episodes, with an expected premiere date in mid-2016.

“Preacher” is the story of Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper, “Agent Carter”), a conflicted Preacher in a small Texas town who is inhabited by a mysterious entity that allows him to develop a highly unconventional power. Jesse, his ex-girlfriend, Tulip (Ruth Negga, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun, “This Is England”) embark on a journey to, literally, find God.

“Garth Ennis’ ‘Preacher’ is, above all, about great characters – something we look for in all of our series,” said Joel Stillerman, president of original programming and development for AMC and SundanceTV. “The fact that it is also darkly funny, has some great supernatural elements, and takes us on an incredible adventure is just the icing on the cake. The incredible creative team behind this show – led by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Sam Catlin and Neal Moritz – made a pilot that completely blew us away, and we know the series will satisfy and surprise fans of the comics, and captivate fans of great TV everywhere.”

“We started reading the comic when it first came out in the ‘90s,” said Rogen & Goldberg. “In many ways Garth’s sense of drama and comedy and Steve Dillon’s visual aesthetic helped form our style, and the idea that we are actually bringing ‘Preacher’ to life is a dream come true. This is the craziest thing ever and we can’t wait to move forward and work our asses off to make it the best it can be."

Sam Catlin said: “Couldn’t be more happy with Sony/AMC’s decision to bring Garth’s amazing ‘Preacher’ to television. Can’t wait to spend some quality time with vampires, psychopaths, rednecks and God.”

Other previously announced series regulars include Ian Colletti as Eugene Root aka Arseface, W. Earl Brown as Hugo Root and Lucy Griffiths as Emily. Rogen & Goldberg directed the pilot, which was written by Catlin.

E the Shaggy

Ok, now we're cookin' with gas:

How has it been collaborating with the network on that?

Rogen: It’s been amazing, honestly. AMC’s been very open and not restrictive of the things we wanted to do, and we pushed it pretty hard as we generally do. There’s definitely been some conversations here and there, but ultimately they’ve let us do exactly what we wanted, which has been incredible. Literally you can’t say the F word, but other than that, we’ve pretty much been given complete free range.

http://collider.com/seth-rogen-neig...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

rogen and goldberg are such wastemen though. like i loved superbad and pineapple express but the rest been awful.

so conflicted on this because the comic is incredible (well I've only read 2 volumes so far) and i'm really happy with gilgun being cast in this particularly. but the writers man...AMC......

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's very encouraging to hear that AMC is allowing them to include whatever kind of content they want, minus the 'F word'.

HBO probably would have passed on it. Like it did with The Walking Dead.

HBO actually put a version of 'Preacher' into development back in 2006, but they eventually decided to pass on it in 2008. Though, to be fair, that was a different version than this one from Rogen and Goldberg.

Sanjuro

I think Preacher has been the most recommended book at the comic shop, but I've yet to really give a look at it. Might try out some of the early volumes as this becomes closer to airing.

Concept seems sound.

- J - D -

Cable network USA is more cavalier with the use of F-bombs, as evident on Mr Robot. Granted, it's bleeped out, but I feel that it's the better way to go than choosing less biting expressions like "They screwed with the wrong people" in the season 4 climax of The Walking Dead. If there were ever a moment to drop the F word, that'd be it, and I know I'm not the only one who felt the same way.

In the latter half of Mr Robot, you had at least one instance of harder cursing per episode. On AMC, they allow Breaking Bad one drop, courtesy of Hank Shrader.

It makes me wonder what's stopping AMC from being as casual.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking the casting a lot, particularly Cassidy, that is an inspired choice. Having said that, I do have reservations about Dom Cooper. I can't think of a single good performance of his. He also seems a bit weasely to play JC. We'll see how it pans out.

A female Quincannon will be... interesting.

I think Preacher has been the most recommended book at the comic shop, but I've yet to really give a look at it. Might try out some of the early volumes as this becomes closer to airing.

Concept seems sound.

Really worth it. Jesse Custer made me want to be a better man.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm liking the casting a lot, particularly Cassidy, that is an inspired choice. Having said that, I do have reservations about Dom Cooper. I can't think of a single good performance of his. He also seems a bit weasely to play JC. We'll see how it pans out.

I really enjoyed him in The Devil's Double so I've been sold on him as Jesse because of that alone.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Roger Sterling said "fuck" during an episode of Mad Men. Wasn't even bleeped. How come they got away with it?

AMC apparently allows for one audible "fuck" per season. Every other "fuck" gets muted. Not sure why they changed that line in the season 4 finale of The Walking Dead though.

overcast

Never read the comics but I can't really get hyped by a drama written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Goddamn there are gonna be some cringe worthy jokes.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AMC apparently allows for one audible "fuck" per season. Every other "fuck" gets muted. Not sure why they changed that line in the season 4 finale of The Walking Dead though.

I'm guessing advertisers. TWD is the biggest show on TV, everyone wants a piece of it, but I'm sure a fair few of the major brands still won't OK Fuck, which given the show is stupid, but there are fair few people out there that would write a lot of angry letters if they heard it even if they just saw half a dozen zombies get their heads smashed to a pulp. Priorities. Plus local advertisers and cable providers probably also have rules against it. So they dubbed it to Screwing.

That seems so bizarre. Either let them swear or don't. Giving them one swear a year is hilarious.

But, I have to admit, it works. When Roger swore it seemed to actually mean something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm guessing advertisers. TWD is the biggest show on TV, everyone wants a piece of it, but I'm sure a fair few of the major brands still won't OK Fuck, which given the show is stupid, but there are fair few people out there that would write a lot of angry letters if they heard it even if they just saw half a dozen zombies get their heads smashed to a pulp. Priorities. Plus local advertisers and cable providers probably also have rules against it. So they dubbed it to Screwing.

You raise some good points!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Preacher without f-bombs is just... Idk. Lame? Gimped?

WTF @ Quincannon being female? That's... uh. Huh. Weird.

Should have made the Saint of Killers a woman instead. That'd be more fun. :) Wonder who'll play him...

Btw, fun fact, Tulip will be played by this lady:

tjBvXIK.jpg

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Also, you can show that but you can't have nudity? It's silly.

Plus, if you can't have nudity, how is that "complete free range?" In fact, I'd say that nudity and freedom to swear up a storm are both essential to telling the Preacher tale. Haven't read the comic in quite some time, but I would imagine that the show will feel a little toothless compared to the source material without actual free range to do what they want.

Never read the comics but I can't really get hyped by a drama written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Goddamn there are gonna be some cringe worthy jokes.

I wouldn't worry about it. They've got a writers room doing the actual writing and source material they have to remain largely faithful to. I wouldn't expect anything that Goldberg and Rogen have done before will figure into the tone of this show.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is Garth Ennis involved in this show in any capacity whatsoever?

In fact I'm not sure what he's been up to lately. I should investigate...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin is credited as the writer of the pilot. He also co-wrote 'Fly' and 'Crawl Space', and 8 other episodes of Breaking Bad..

Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin is credited as the writer of the pilot. He also co-wrote 'Fly' and 'Crawl Space', and 8 other episodes of Breaking Bad..

Right. I'm just saying to the other guy, of all the things to worry about, it won't be that this ends up being Pineapple Express the show or anything.

- Onion A|V Club: AMC to debut Preacher trailer during supersized episode of The Walking Dead
On the day after Halloween, you can feast on a supersized episode of AMC’s The Walking Dead. Coming Soon reports that the network will air a 90-minute episode for its made-up/promotional holiday, The Walking Dead Mega Sunday, on November 1. The extended episode, “Here’s Not Here,” was written by showrunner Scott M. Gimple and will see the survivors doubting each other. Throw in the walkers, Rick’s snarling, and Carol’s knives, and it sounds like a pretty standard episode.

But wait, there’s more—AMC will also air the world premiere of the trailer for Preacher, the network’s other comic-book show. Audiences will get their first look at Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer, the titular preacher who’s literally spreading the word of God, and all of these other actors and characters. And for the hat trick, the network will also run the television premiere of the trailer for Into The Badlands, that post-apocalyptic, martial-arts drama set in the American South. There’s currently no word on whether the extended episode will eat into The Talking Dead’s time, although host Chris Hardwick could probably use the extra time for additional effusing.

Fury451

Banned
Still can't get over how well cast this looks. Everyone seems like spot-on choices.

Will be looking forward to seeing that trailer of things in action, but I still have massive reservations about this being adapted by AMC (probably because I despise their version of TWD).

Helmholtz

Wish it was on HBO.
Really hope this turns out okay despite the censoring. But the filthiness is a huge part of what made the original comic what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom