• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian's astounding 'garbage human' moment at Vidcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

I'll get banned because I don't like Anita and carl?

You can say you dislike both, but you have to be intellectually dishonest if you think they're cut of the same cloth, Carl mocks and harasses Anita and Anita just presents feminist critiques of media, they're very clearly not the same thing.

MUnited83

For you.
I'll get banned because I don't like Anita and carl?

You'll get banned for saying that someone that says things about videogames is as bad as person that literally organizes repeated harassment and doxxing for several years targeting the person that said things about videogames.

I've read the OP and what he did doesn't seem like harassment. He's made videos criticizing Sarkeesian before but so what? Merely being in the audience isn't harassment.

Just watching the movie...
OWr2YTH.jpg

What is so vile about Anita?

Remember, Carl blamed women and feminists for the Elliot Rodgers massacre. Please find something equally heinous about Anita, okay?

Let that stew a bit.

The guy that you are saying was not there for harassment agrees with a mass murderer that planned the wholesale slaughter of women on his campus.

Strings

For the millionth time, hate filled sexists who can't let it go are far far far worse than anything Anita has done. She could shit in my mouth and kick me in the dick and I'd still consider her a far far better person than Carl.

I don't disagree with you there - she's definitely not nearly as bad as Sargon, but I do personally think she's done more bad than good for her respective cause.

Anyway, I don't think I'm really informed enough to continue this discussion, as I tend to avoid both sides.

Edit: Deleted original post. This guy's comment is shit but I probably shouldn't descend to name calling

Thanks I guess :/

The immediate ridicule for a relatively tame comment is pretty wild.

Famassu

I don't like Anita and I don't like carl either. Both are pretty vile. Opposites sides of the same cloth
Advocating harassment (death threats, stalking, rape wishes) of a person who just wants better representation of women in video gaming (& other entertainment, but vidya games are what got this shit train started, NO ONE insults nerds' precious vidya geimz) is "the opposite side of the same cloth" as a woman making some pretty light-weight criticism on current popular culture?

Amazing. My cowardice claim is correct. Why can't people just own up to their views??

Cause for reasons unfathomable, these people want to keep their account on a forum that doesn't put up with their shitty views.

It really makes no sense to me why someone would censor themselves to stay in a community where the vast majority thinks even your censored self is a complete waste of brain matter.

You could have it so much easier if you just, you know, posted on forums where gaming and your shitty views coincide, we all know there's many of those.

It's gotta be some form of self-hate or something.

clearestblue

Neo Member
I don't disagree with you there - she's definitely not nearly as bad as Sargon, but I do personally think she's done more bad than good for her respective cause.

Anyway, I don't think I'm really informed enough to continue this discussion, as I tend to avoid both sides.

For someone who's not informed you sure do have a strong opinion about Anita

Yet you'll come in to post and then concede you have no clue what you're talking about when someone challenges you.

But you think she's done more harm than good. Please, continue. Can you elaborate why you think that? Or would you like to continue avoiding things yet coming in to post about things you claim to avoid?

Also to preemptively dodge the "dogpile" comments, y'all know exactly what the fuck you're doing when you come in here to drive by. The cute little zzz comment does no favors. Forgive our lack of patience but after 3 fucking years y'all could educate yourselves but no, a South Park level "both sides" shit post is all you can be asset to muster up.

ymgve

You think she's done more bad than good for the cause, yet you claim to not be informed on the issue.

Hmm.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
To quote Tommy Lee Jones:

https://youtu.be/xyfwMzD5Hiw

Let's go find two more!
We don't have to find them if they come to us. >>

The only bad part, (and this is subjective cause it sorta proves her point), is that she and other devs in the industry who openly support her are constantly harassed for her views. She's did an incredible job bringing to light the state of the industry and it's had a massive effect on the medium in general.

antonz

Anita doing gods work for us here. Her threads help purge the ugly underbelly in the community.

If you think a Noted Harasser who shows up with dozens of his followers and then charges to the front to steal all the closest seats is not an attempt at intimidation you have something wrong with your thought process. They wanted to scare her into silence and when that didn't work tried the whole let me speak and debate her bullshit. The entire thing was about stopping her from getting her message out

Toxi

Banned
Pro tip: Telling people you're not informed before giving an opinion will not make people more likely to respect your opinion.

Whompa02

So they sat there to, "pretend to be stupid?"

Man she deserves a better platform to speak at if she's still getting morons to "troll her."

Famassu

I have an acquaintance who's libertarian. Pro-choice, pro-LGBT rights, anti-war, lower prison terms, anti-death penalty, anti-police brutality and racism.

Granted, being against safety nets is a pretty damn shitty view that undermines everything else. And the vast majority of "Libertarians" I've seen are just diet conservatives.
Libertarians can be ok with (some) human rights stuff (while they might not "support" something like gay rights, they wouldn't necessarily oppose them either if a libertarian society so decided). But fiscal conservatism is often just bigotry of a different kind, one towards poor/less fortunate peole (people are just lazy, they brought it on themselves, why should they support the hospital bills of someone with a chronic disease etc.), so in the grand scheme of things that's not all that much different than being a racist.

And libertarians are absolutely dreadful when it comes to environmental matters as well. If a big multinational company has the money & the means to fuck up the environment in the pursue for more profits, who are the IIVIL BLOATED GUBERMENT & weak citizens to stop them? They should allowed to do so, I'm sure the customers of said big company that probably reside half a world over give a shit where the product they purchase comes from and what it does to the environment.

Strings

They're so fucking transparent.

"She has done more harm than good for her cause"
"I am not really informed, I don't pay attention to any of this"

Like... what

Holy crap. Like, I obviously know who both these people are and have consumed enough of their work to know I disagree with both.

I'm uninformed in the sense that I haven't explored the less extreme and less visible side of each argument. Just to preempt any further ridicule for considering Anita an extreme - I do personally think the lengths she takes her arguments and extrapolation can be pretty ridiculous. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I'm definitely bouncing before anyone else shoves some ridiculous insinuations down my throat.

SScorpio

No, I dont like Anita and Carl, I havent been banned so far. As long as you are able to state your reason why you dont like each and not try and say they are equal. Then yh you should be fine
I think.

A better option would just be Gaf extending the ignore feature. Some other sites have ways to hide threads based on either tags or topic. Just add their names and any threads mentioned them would vanish. Rather than continously floating back to the top of latest activity when I'm trying to find other discussions.

Toxi

Banned
Libertarians can be ok with (some) human rights stuff (while they might not "support" something like gay rights, they wouldn't necessarily oppose them either if a libertarian society so decided). But fiscal conservatism is often just bigotry of a different kind, one towards poor/less fortunate peole (people are just lazy, they brought it on themselves, why should they support the hospital bills of someone with a chronic disease etc.), so in the grand scheme of things that's not all that much different than being a racist.

And libertarians are absolutely dreadful when it comes to environmental matters as well. If a big multinational company has the money & the means to fuck up the environment in the pursue for more profits, who are the IIVIL BLOATED GUBERMENT & weak citizens to stop them? They should allowed to do so, I'm sure the customers of said big company that probably reside half a world over give a shit where the product they purchase comes from and what it does to the environment.
You don't need to tell me. :p

Holy crap. Like, I obviously know who both these people are and have consumed enough of their work to know I disagree with both.

I'm uninformed in the sense that I haven't explored the less extreme and less visible side of each argument. Just to preempt any further ridicule for considering Anita an extreme - I do personally think the lengths she takes her arguments and extrapolation can be pretty ridiculous. You don't have to disagree, but that's how I feel ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I'm definitely bouncing before anyone else shoves some ridiculous insinuations down my throat.

Bye, sorry you can't take the heat of being challenged on your BS.

Also you say both sides of each argument like there's an equal level of discourse involved between "women might deserve to be treated better" and "let's harass women who say that they deserve to be treated better".

Probably for the best, especially if you have a differing opinion in these sorts of threads.

The dogpiles are strong.

Oh come now good sir, would you like to throw your hat in the ring as well? Or doth thou find the wealth of education and information as to why Anita is nowhere near as vile as a man requesting money from subscribers to threaten and harass Anita to be a frightening "dogpile"?

Hey guys I'm gonna pop into a thread about a woman being harassed by a huge group of misogynists just to post about how I dislike her opinions like that's totally valid! Who cares if this isn't a thread about her latest opinion piece or anything like that.

Stop shoving insinuations down my throat!

LotusHD

Banned
Probably for the best, especially if you have a differing opinion in these sorts of threads.

The dogpiles are strong.

I mean, it's a huge pet peeve for someone to say something, then immediately walk it back and say they're uninformed, so... don't be surprised if someone calls it out.

The dogpiles are strong.

What's the differing opinion here in this thread? That harassment is ok?

This isn't a topic calling for an opinion of whether you agree or disagree with her criticism on the media of games.

That's not a dogpile if you hold those opinions. That's the appearance that it's a dogpile because the person holding those opinions is in the minority of being a shitty person, while the majority are not shitty people.

antonz

jesus christ, this thread. so many alts posting horrendous garbage.

lmaoooo that fucking wolfenstein post

I guess it wasn't enough they actually blame the left in the game for the Nazis taking over America. The whole Preacher part of the trailer is literally a die hard lefty saying they fought against the Corporate Imperialistic American Government who wanted to go to war.

IrishNinja

A better option would just be Gaf extending the ignore feature. Some other sites have ways to hide threads based on either tags or topic. Just add their names and any threads mentioned them would vanish. Rather than continously floating back to the top of latest activity when I'm trying to find other discussions.

there's literally a script allowing you to hide threads
id dig it up for you but i need more time to not play games

The dogpiles are strong.

yeah people are totally unfair to misogyny & its apologists in here, it's a real echo chamber (have you read sowell?)

fester

Banned
Not informed but no hesitation in dropping a scorching hot take.

Sounds like Carl!

I want to ask the people who make these comments: how fucking stupid do you think we are? This tactic has been used over, and over, and over for years. You aren't scoring any points, you aren't convincing anyone of anything. What you have done is identified yourself as an intellectually lazy and dishonest person who, in all likelihood, is a GamerGate sympathizer. You will find no support for your shitty views here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The dogpiles are strong.
Consider what the "differing opinion" might be in a thread where the subject matter is a victim's response to three rows worth of harassers shitting up her panel at a convention, where the harassers themselves even straight up admitted that they were NOT there with any sort of debate or positivity. Consider what the "differing opinions" have actually been saying....

How many people have you harassed for years on end? I'm up to 5 people but I know I can do better.

Dunnow, if Strings comes back to further contribute their uneducated opinions on how I'm just as bad as a man getting paid to run a hate campaign masquerading as "free speech" then maybe I'll have something to start with.

Also I should probably bounce, not because I am unwilling to discourse with people but because I'm likely to throw hands and catch the banerino. But fuck it, if I get banned for calling out people for pretending critical analysis is just as bad as hate speech than so be it.

Also while we're on that note, Anita isn't even on the far end of the Feminist spectrum. She has said things that can be seen as a bit counterintuitive, but she's not advocating for the death of males or anything that extreme. She's just trying to get people to start thinking more about how to treat people BETTER by representing them more widely and thoughtfully in media.

But yeah, that's just the WORST.

"differing opinions" is "Heinz is better than Hunt's" not "a woman making a series of entry level videos of feminist critique is just as bad as a youtube misogynist who profits from harassing women for years."

Come now. You can't possibly be foolish enough to think that rational people will entertain this, and getting indignant that we don't will not bother us at all.

Fat4all

Banned
"differing opinions" is "Heinz is better than Hunt's" not "a woman making a series of entry level videos of feminist critique is just as bad as a youtube misogynist who profits from harassing women for years."

Come now. You can't possibly be foolish enough to think that rational people will entertain this, and getting indignant that we don't will not bother us at all.

just saying, tho...

Heinz is way better than Hunt's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom