• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian's astounding 'garbage human' moment at Vidcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

I'd love to say I'm shocked by the incredible hatred and harassment of what amounts to a pretty basic video game critic, but the last few years have definitely shown us the sheer amount of insane garbage people that share my favorite hobby. It's disgusting. I don't understand it. She's literally talking about games and pointing out how they can be more inclusive. I'd love to be able to show my niece a game and not recoil because of sexist tropes.

Games will never be seriously considered as art as long as the community attacks critics like this. More voices are a good thing! More variety in games, more people sharing our hobby, more people to listen talk about games! But no, we have to intimidate them, scare them away, and keep our precious games to ourselves.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
just saying, tho...

Heinz is way better than Hunt's
I'm starting a patreon specifically to fund my harassment efforts against you now. Checkmate liberal.
This is genuinely an issue VERY specific to the gaming community...

Ponn

Banned
You're definitely the Sargon equivalent of the opposite spectrum.

Why is your bar for Sargon so damn low? Or did that poster make hundreds of videos on youtube about you getting people to tweet harassment towards you and death threats day in and day out and then show up at your work with a bunch of his buddies staring at you while holding phones in your face threatening to real life shit post you all day? If the poster did I would probably report that to a mod.

Also while we're on that note, Anita isn't even on the far end of the Feminist spectrum. She has said things that can be seen as a bit counterintuitive, but she's not advocating for the death of males or anything that extreme. She's just trying to get people to start thinking more about how to treat people BETTER by representing them more widely and thoughtfully in media.

But yeah, that's just the WORST.

But LucidMomentum, SJWs have come to take our video games to try and force their feminist agenda down our throats! Nazis are even portrayed as bad guys in games these days, when does the persecution end?!
/s just in case it was needed

Fat4all

Banned
I'm starting a patreon specifically to fund my harassment efforts against you now. Checkmate liberal.
This is genuinely an issue VERY specific to the gaming community...
You are history's greatest monster

Look at the time...

Better finish up my Breath of the Wild review!

Z5nrtwL.png

Dunnow, if Strings comes back to further contribute their uneducated opinions on how I'm just as bad as a man getting paid to run a hate campaign masquerading as "free speech" then maybe I'll have something to start with.

Also I should probably bounce, not because I am unwilling to discourse with people but because I'm likely to throw hands and catch the banerino. But fuck it, if I get banned for calling out people for pretending critical analysis is just as bad as hate speech than so be it.

Also while we're on that note, Anita isn't even on the far end of the Feminist spectrum. She has said things that can be seen as a bit counterintuitive, but she's not advocating for the death of males or anything that extreme. She's just trying to get people to start thinking more about how to treat people BETTER by representing them more widely and thoughtfully in media.

But yeah, that's just the WORST.

But why isn't she campaigning for the inclusion of us males? We're so excluded from games cause look at the covers of most games, there's always females! You can hardly find any men in games. Wouldn't you agree that's just as bad as what her harassers do?!?!

Dmax3901

I used to hate Anita and would always accuse her of hyperbole and lying and then I realized she was talking about the exact behavior I was using against her.

I still don't like her content all that much, but man, you have to be a special kind of asshole to go out of your way to harass her or anyone. Stop proving her point.

Thanks, gives me hope that some of the people on here and irl will change.

Ms.Galaxy

You know, I've been watching this thread over the hours, and I have to say, I love how quickly a thread meant to talk about an harassment victim, who got death threats, bomb threats, threats of rape, and stalkers for the past 4 years solely because she wanted to talk about female representation of women in gaming, standing up to three rows of people who were part of the collective harassment campiegn against her went down the "she's no angel/both sides/Kulturbolschewismus" route by a good amount of people. (Rest of you gaffers standing up to this bullshit are cool.)

The very fact that this thread is the way that it is just further proves her point and the reason why we need people like her to shine a light at the ugly parts of our community. This shit cannot continue, it simply can't, and we are going to need people like her to continue fighting this ugly out of our community because this shit is holding us back as a community and as an industry.

TheSun

Dang, I've never seen this much of the usual suspects in one thread. Could get bingo for life.

Was the last culling that far away?

But yeh, good on Anita. No need to be passive to these sort of folks. Seriously what creepy behavior these loons have where they base their lives around one person.

Fuck u Carl o' Swindon.

Famassu

You're definitely the Sargon equivalent of the opposite spectrum.
Come on. If you come into this thread "evil feminazi Sarkeesian who criticizes our precious vidya gamz is the same as a group of people who have harassed her and countless other women/feminists/feminist sympathizers for years now", you can't blame for people for laughing at that kind of idiocy. They are not in any way, shape or form comparable. Sarkeesian isn't an evil feminazi with an intent to enslave all the men of the world or whatever nightmareish scenarios these GG people come up with. She has gotten a few facts wrong in her criticism. Big fucking deal. It happens to the best of us. That does not make her some evil mastermind who is trying to manipulate the world into a feminazi dystopia.

You know, I've been watching this thread over the hours, and I have to say, I love how quickly a thread meant to talk about an harassment victim, who got death threats, bomb threats, threats of rape, and stalkers for the past 4 years solely because she wanted to talk about female representation of women in gaming, standing up to three rows of people who were part of the collective harassment campiegn against her went down the "she's no angel/both sides/Kulturbolschewismus" route by a good amount of people. (Rest of you gaffers standing up to this bullshit are cool.)

The very fact that this thread is the way that it is just further proves her point and the reason why we need people like her to shine a light at the ugly parts of our community. This shit cannot continue, it simply can't, and we are going to need people like her to continue fighting this ugly out of our community because this shit is holding us back as a community and as an industry.

For.

Real.

I would like to personally apologize to you and all the women reading and posting in this thread for the cesspit that this hobby is.

Hopefully we can make it better. Y'all deserve better.

The idea that the market will correct any perceived wrongs is not a well thought out idea. Profits didn't drive progress for human rights. People standing up for what's right did.

The banned poster who was promoting libertarian ideals as the rational solution simply didn't think. That seems to be a problem with the right. So much effort on ideas that are easily tested with a bare minimum of actual thought.

'Marxist Feminists'... the image of the segregationists attempting to associate decency and human rights with communism is a great example of how obviously wrong the alt right is. We already learned this lesson, and it's right in front of their faces. They are either stupid or so confused and full of hate that they can't see it.

"differing opinion" about what?

That these people aren't harassing this woman for literally NO FUCKING REASON OTHER THAN THAT SHE IS A WOMAN?

That's not opinion.

Spman2099

I have noticed that, at least for the good portion of this thread that I read, people are taking this as a place to air their grievances with Sarkeesian's work. However, nothing could be further from the truth. This is about a woman being victimized by a large crowd of shitty people. That is the only thing this is about.

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with what Anita has said in the past, none of those reasons justifies intimidating her. I also think it is very interesting that Sarkeesian gets SO much negative attention. How many games journalists have you disagreed with? I disagree with a ton, yet none of them seem to be hounded endlessly.

If you think her work is garbage, fine. That is fine. This isn't the place to express that. It also doesn't give you any right to harass her. I would recommend you just move the fuck on. Or at the very least, focus on critiquing her arguments, not attacking her as a person.

The idea that the market will correct any perceived wrongs is not a well thought out idea. Profits didn't drive progress for human rights. People standing up for what's right did.

The banned poster who was promoting libertarian ideals as the rational solution simply didn't think. That seems to be a problem with the right. So much effort on ideas that are easily tested with a bare minimum of actual thought.

People arguing for a free market clearly don't understand that the market at times has employed slavery, child labor, and set fire to entire competing minority businesses in order to achieve profits.

A free market is not an ethical one.

I mean, here in this very thread we have people criticizing Anita for collecting a paycheck to produce her videos, but Sargon is getting paid by people who espouse his views to act the way he does and apparently that's okay because he's not part of a "non-profit".

But that's way off topic:

I have noticed that, at least for the good portion of this thread that I read, people are taking this as a place to air their grievances with Sarkeesian's work. However, nothing could be further from the truth. This is about a woman being victimized by a large crowd of shitty people. That is the only thing this is about.

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with what Anita has said in the past, none of those reasons justifies intimidating her. I also think it is very interesting that Sarkeesian gets SO much negative attention. How many games journalists have you disagreed with? I disagree with a ton, yet none of them seem to be hounded endlessly.

If you think her work is garbage, fine. That is fine. This isn't the place to express that. It also doesn't give you any right to harass her. I would recommend you just move the fuck on. Or at the very least, focus on critiquing her arguments, not attacking her as a person.

Exactly this. The critiques of her work aren't very air tight either, as we've discussed ad nauseam in this thread.

But none of that is really relevant to the topic at hand, which is why for some reason people seem to think a large group of men showing up to derail a woman's panel under the guise of "debate" and then claiming she was the one in the wrong when she calls them out for it is a "both sides" thing now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dang, I've never seen this much of the usual suspects in one thread. Could get bingo for life.

Was the last culling that far away?

But yeh, good on Anita. No need to be passive to these sort of folks. Seriously what creepy behavior these loons have where they base their lives around one person.

Fuck u Carl o' Swindon.

Man we got someone saying they voted for Obama twice before telling us that black families were better off under Jim Crowe. This thread is amazing in all the worst ways.

People arguing for a free market clearly don't understand that the market at times has employed slavery, child labor, and set fire to entire competing minority businesses in order to achieve profits.

A free market is not an ethical one.

I mean, here in this very thread we have people criticizing Anita for collecting a paycheck to produce her videos, but Sargon is getting paid by people who espouse his views to act the way he does and apparently that's okay because he's not part of a "non-profit".

Here's the good part for me: the libertarian who denounces the activism of Anita Sarkeesian for idealistic reasons, who says that the market should decide what is right and wrong or what deserves progress, doesn't even think hard enough to understand that the market may indeed 'correct' the wrong, but that occurs only after or at the very least accelerated by the activism of people like Anita Sarkeesian that changes the conditions of the market.

One of the best things about an Anita thread is all the users that keep tripping over each other to die upon the blood soaked hill to give their ignorant hot takes and facts about Anita.

NeoGaf needs a spring cleaning once in a while.

Good on Anita for not backing down against the misogynistic trash that continually tries to intimidate and harass her, especially that fuckboi Carl.

fester

Banned

Well said, and I'd add that this shit is also holding us back as human beings. It's got to go.

'Marxist Feminists'... the image of the segregationists attempting to associate decency and human rights with communism is a great example of how obviously wrong the alt right is. We already learned this lesson, and it's right in front of their faces. They are either stupid or so confused and full of hate that they can't see it.

TO BE FAIR, there are absolutely a few rare cases where the businesses and/or profit have been one of the driving factors for progress. Examples include:

- Green Energy being economically beneficial these days is a huge driving force right now
- Businesses have been pushing back against antiLGBTQ laws in the US
- The concept of customer/userbase diversity is seen as an economic benefit to many businesses which then leads some businesses to decide to try to get that customer/userbase diversity through having a diverse staff within the business. Which is still fucked up because it's usually only facade and they aren't doing it for moral reasons, but it does show that diversity is becoming sought after somewhat by businesses.

especially that fuckboi Sargon.

You shouldn't even honour him by using his handle. The real Sargon is probably halfway drilling through into the other side of the planet, he's spinning that fast in his grave to have someone as shitty befoul the name of the first emperor to ever exist in human history.

Zambayoshi

There are people who say nothing or applaud when figures like Milo Yiannopoulos get heckled by people who go to his talks to do exactly that, and there are people who condemn Carl Benjamin and co. for turning up to Anita's talk to film her.

Then there are people who believe that one should not be afraid of differing viewpoints and that the state exists to protect the right of people to hold and express those viewpoints.

It's sad that Gaffers are resorting to personal attacks on fellow Gaffers.

CazTGG

Oh fucking hell, can't this article be summarized in five sentences?

In all seriousness, Sargon/Carl/Garbage McGarbageface deserved this and deserves so much more in the way of insults. What a reprehensible, intellectually dishonest excuse of a human being.

fester

Banned
There are people who say nothing or applaud when figures like Milo Yiannopoulos get heckled by people who go to his talks to do exactly that, and there are people who condemn Carl Benjamin and co. for turning up to Anita's talk to film her.

Then there are people who believe that one should not be afraid of differing viewpoints and that the state exists to protect the right of people to hold and express those viewpoints.

This post says a whole lot of nothing, but I'm sure you'll be willing to stick around and explain what exactly you're talking about.

You shouldn't even honour him by using his handle. The real Sargon is probably halfway drilling through into the other side of the planet, he's spinning that fast in his grave to have someone as shitty befoul the name of the first emperor to ever exist in human history.

Hmm, you're right. I'll just refer to his actual name instead.

D i Z

Why? Does being a Gaffer excuse anyone of being a decent human being, and we should band together because we have a collective login page?

Get outta here with the Freeze Peach argument.

Getting socially ostracized by others for holding different viewpoint has nothing to do with free speech. Free speech is there so that you are protected from the government taking action against something you say, not other people, and even to this there are exceptions such as libel/slander, bullying in schools or incitement to violence.

Free speech has absolutely nothing to do with you getting removed from the premises of a venue, banned on a website, or not getting invited anymore to dinner with your friends. Just because you are allowed to say something without legal ramifications does not mean that includes social ramifications.

If you're an asshole, I have every right to not talk to you, kick you out of my business or ban you off of my website. And before you come with the "public spaces" argument, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and other social media are not public spaces, they are privately owned websites.

IrishNinja

the garbage #bothsides train don't stop y'all

This is the future liberals want.

yasssssss

Yet here we are, you making thinly veiled "both sides" claims when you should know one side is clearly not as horrible at treating human beings as the other.

Forgive me for calling out people saying that listening to someone saying that women and minorities don't deserve to be treated with respect is something we should be striving to do, instead of, you know, ACTUALLY treating women and minorities with respect.

Also since the Bingo hasn't had enough spaces filled yet:

The Dink

There's a world of difference between having a "differing viewpoint" and being a human troll.

Farks!

Sargon is a reactionary, populist piece of trash. Anita was absolutely right in calling him what she did. And, no, in this particular context it doesn't make her as bad as her harassers. Which is is a pretty funny accusation on its own since it means her so called "critics" are finally admitting that harassment is bad.

udivision

People who take the "both sides" stance and people who take sides on either side are equally wrong.

The true stance is the stance above all stances, the stance that stands staunchly on the side of standing.

ymgve

TO BE FAIR, there are absolutely a few rare cases where the businesses and/or profit have been one of the driving factors for progress. Examples include:

- Green Energy being economically beneficial these days is a huge driving force right now
- Businesses have been pushing back against antiLGBTQ laws in the US
- The concept of customer/userbase diversity is seen as an economic benefit to many businesses which then leads some businesses to decide to try to get that customer/userbase diversity through having a diverse staff within the business. Which is still fucked up because it's usually only facade and they aren't doing it for moral reasons, but it does show that diversity is becoming sought after somewhat by businesses.

The examples you cite shows businesses lagging, though. They never showed interested in pursuing those goals until the progressive views became somewhat accepted.

"differing opinions" is "Heinz is better than Hunt's" not "a woman making a series of entry level videos of feminist critique is just as bad as a youtube misogynist who profits from harassing women for years."

Come now. You can't possibly be foolish enough to think that rational people will entertain this, and getting indignant that we don't will not bother us at all.

next

Sianos

Abstracting out far enough to the vaguest possible terms such as "differing viewpoints" to make a theoretical meta-level conclusion doesn't mean that you can smudge object-level differences and say "these two cases are exactly the same because if I abstract out far enough I can justify using the same word for each".

If Anita were the sort to dox transgender individuals with the purpose of turning her following on them and making sure they never could feel safe, I would react the same way I did towards Milo when he doxxed transgender individuals. But Anita does not use her platform in that manner, so I don't condemn her for using her platform in that manner, because she did not use her platform in that manner. If she did, I would have a problem with that. But she didn't. So I do not have a problem with her not performing the action I would have a problem with if she performed it, which she did not.

Well, I stand by my opinion, you guys stand by your opinion. I've said my piece, carry on shitting on Sargon I suppose.

Btw, I wasn't saying Anita and MLK are the same. I say as much in the following sentence. But there are parallels between any two figureheads that attempt to seek change and strive to represent any group of who they believe are disenfranchised people, and that is what I was touching on.

MLK called white moderates the real enemy (accurately I might add)... that's more scathing than "garbage human being" ever will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom