• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

looks like the iPad 3 might not have a button:

iPad droplet home screen

vvw9j.jpg

iPad 3 Event screen

ibzezIK4flXROo.jpg

Maybe that's the "touch" part of the slogan? No button, its a touch sensitive bezel or something. Anyway, you can now use five finger gestures to do everything that the button does.

I don't have my iPad in front of me, but doesn't the background reorient itself along with the icons when you turn it upside down?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't have my iPad in front of me, but doesn't the background reorient itself along with the icons when you turn it upside down?

If I didn't sell my iPad 2 for a sweet purse I'd verify all this noise myself...but alas I'm at the mercy of you fine people!

Tobor

It's landscape in that photo. I just set my home screen to the water drops, the drops are in the exact same position as that photo.

We have a week of this nonsense ahead of us. /sigh

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here even use the home button anymore? Three finger + thumb grip closing apps and four-finger up apps have long since made it redundant.

LCfiner

yes, yes it does. it could be any orientation.

but for the ad itself, the whole screen image is probably just shopped and they chose a side of the ipad with no home button to make it less busy. who knows if that image was even on the screen when it was on. so pointing out the wallpaper wouldn’t be strong evidence that a redesign is coming with the bezel.

RubxQub

It's landscape in that photo. I just set my home screen to the water drops, the drops are in the exact same position as that photo.

So you're saying that the sides of the iPad have touch sensitive gesture areas on them while the bottom still has the home button?!

Tuck

Question:

Is the retina display really that breath taking that it consciously makes the device nicer to use, or is it more of a "neat" thing that you end up forgetting about in a matter of hours and has no real practicality apart from more details when you get close to the screen?

I mean, I'm happy that Apple pushes for higher resolutions and better screens, but considering that the retina display seems to be the biggest selling point of the next iPad, it makes me kinda shrug because to me that doesn't seem really important. Than again, I haven't really witnessed an iPhone 4S from close-by, so perhaps I'm missing something here.

this is not a troll! I'm aware how touchy touchy Apple discussions are ;)

The retina display on the iPhone 4 was a HUGE difference for me. I can't go back.

Donno if it will make as big an impact, but I'm excited.

So you're saying that the sides of the iPad have touch sensitive gesture areas on them while the bottom still has the home button?!

No you fool, he's saying that three of the sides have buttons and the fourth side has a touch sensitive area with haptic feedback.

RubxQub

No you fool, he's saying that three of the sides have buttons and the fourth side has a touch sensitive area with haptic feedback.

AAAAAAHHHH!!!

Tobor

Does anyone here even use the home button anymore? Three finger + thumb grip closing apps and four-finger up apps have long since made it redundant.

Lots of people do. I have to turn off touch guestures when I give my iPad to my nephew, he gets excited playing games and coloring and sets off the gestures.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people do. I have to turn off touch guestures when I give my iPad to my nephew, he gets excited playing games and coloring and sets off the gestures.

Oh, I bet. I meant on a tech-savvy forum, specifically.

RubxQub

We have something we want you to see: Retina display

...and touch: as in water will never touch it...because every iPad will come coated in that liquid repellent shit that lets you use devices underwater! YEAH!

noah111

Still Alive
Kinda hope they would introduce that rumored touch gesture-drriven home button from the iPhone 5. Swiping the home button left/right to jump between apps seems neat, even though four-finger swipes are great.

Also, wasn't there a photo of what was claimed to be the front bezel of an iPad 3 from the same sourse as the rear case leaks? Pretty sure I saw it... and people were saying 'oh, well I guess the Home button is still there then'.

...and it wasn't a long Home button either, just a circle.

LCfiner

You'd think Apple would take the retina opportunity and replace the ugly wallpapers with better ones.

yeah, that water droplet image has been trolling us ever since they added wallpaper images to the iPhone.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them ship and market the ipad with some space themed wallpapers like they have for Lion.

noah111

Still Alive

Really? I tried earlier and didn't see the same patter of droplets in either orientation. :s Might just be that I didn't look hard enough.

yeah, that water droplet image has been trolling us ever since they added wallpaper images to the iPhone.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them ship and market the ipad with some space themed wallpapers like they have for Lion.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but unfortunately space wallpapers tend to look cluttered due to all the stars. :p

I'd like to see something new as well, though I don't mind the fabric/droplets walls at all tbh.

mrkgoo

Didn't the first iPad have that night sky image? Oh I guess you mean since iPhone 4? That was first iOS with wall papers?

Lol, you can tell I'm still on my backgroudless 3g

We have something we want you to see: Retina display

...and touch: as in water will never touch it...because every iPad will come coated in that liquid repellent shit that lets you use devices underwater! YEAH!

Pffftttttt like that coating would come standard, 199 extra son

LCfiner

Didn't the first iPad have that night sky image? Oh I guess you mean since iPhone 4? That was first iOS with wall papers?

Lol, you can tell I'm still on my backgroudless 3g

that is correct. the water drops made their debut with the iPhone. actually, they made their debut with iOS 4. iPhone 4 came a few months later.

ain’t nothing wrong with a black background!

@Sentry. yeah, if they were to have a some common space theme, the iOS devices would need something less busy. just a nebula or whatever. all the stars would make it hard to reading lettering

Well, I certainly think it will be some form of Senseg / Teslatouch style touch feedback / adaptive feel screen. Normally, I would scoff at something like that, but this is Apple and they do have the money to burn on R&D for something like this.

I agree that there was something strange about the idea of specifically mentioning "touch" in the invitation. You visibly see the finger touching the screen so there is no real reason to mention "touch" specifically apart from that because the finger touching the screen (and the fact that is the typical home screen of the iPad) would imply touch anyway.

So, if that does happen... every single company might as well just quite making tablets and phones. I will still avoid it, but people will eat anything Apple throws at them.

Then again, I could be dead wrong, but it certainly seems like Apple is planning something like this. Or we could all be looking way too into this... oh well.

JCreasy

OH MA GAHHHH. 100% CONFURMED.

Dude did you scroll down at the link and see this caption?

"The user can experience textures of objects that can not be touched"

657-6228D68D.jpg

That is some hardcore science fiction shit right there! Do you know how strong iPad 3 would be with a differentiator like this?

And given Disney and Apple's tight relationship, it's a match made in heaven!

Casp0r

Banned

click it, it's too big

ar.jpg

That is some hardcore science fiction shit right there! Do you know how strong iPad 3 would be with a differentiator like this?

quoted so we can see what the fuck that pic is.

that is correct. the water drops made their debut with the iPhone. actually, they made their debut with iOS 4. iPhone 4 came a few months later.

ain’t nothing wrong with a black background!

@Sentry. yeah, if they were to have a some common space theme, the iOS devices would need something less busy. just a nebula or whatever. all the stars would make it hard to reading lettering

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to pick a universal, global background to be shipped on hundreds of millions of devices and which will be the first thing people see and might never change. I'm sure they have a million considerations.

mrkgoo

Didn't they patch that in recently?
Yah. I have an iPad 1, and I have the multitouch gestures. Never activated the dev thing either.

it's ever sO slightly janky, however. Like you do the motion and have to hold it briefy for the iPad to register it.

So, if that does happen... every single company might as well just quite making tablets and phones. I will still avoid it, but people will eat anything Apple throws at them.

Nice troll. So by your words, even if every single other company in the world stop making phones/tablets you will still avoid buying from Apple, because you despise them to such an extent. Oh, and iSheep, right? How original.

Love how haters transitioned so smoothly through Apple's growing popularity to 'lol pathetic marketshare they suck' to 'lol Sheeple who eat anything Apple throws at them'. How original. MAYBE people buy apple stuff because they just so happen to make the most useable stuff on the market, by a long shot? No, that can't be it.

mrkgoo

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to pick a universal, global background to be shipped on hundreds of millions of devices and which will be the first thing people see and might never change. I'm sure they have a million considerations.
I remember reading an interesting article about the photographer of the windows xp background. Probably the most single viewed photo of all time and no credit.

blackflag

Honestly, I don't even know any of the gestures and never tried any of them. Guess I should give it a shot.

657-6228D68D.jpg

This is so not going to be in the next iPad. :lol

I love the pre-launch craziness, though. Rumor mill is still going. It's going to be a terrible week.

CFMOORE!

that disney stuff seems like a year old, but i can see how the "touch" part of Apple's announcement of the announcement could in some small way involve this.

JCreasy

This is so not going to be in the next iPad. :lol

I love the pre-launch craziness, though. Rumor mill is still going. It's going to be a terrible week.

I'm emailing Cook right now. Set this thing straight once and for all!

Gawd, I love this time of year :)

that disney stuff seems like a year old, but i can see how the "touch" part of Apple's announcement of the announcement could in some small way involve this.

I like the cut of your jib! Stick with me kid. We'll show these naysayers how the crazy ones do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwsuXHA7RA

*swoons*

They would have known it would spark up the debate by phrasing it this way. They're probably all reading the big forums and blogs at the moment, chuckling away. BASTARDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom