• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) Discussion Thread [JP date = 4th June]

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks really nice. What's with all the Wii-related announcements lately? Are we starting to see that long-theorized shift occur over in Japan?

batbeg

duckroll said:
It also confirms that Arc Rise is developed by a seperate team from Luminous Arc. It seems that the Famitsu article was referring to Mikage, the MMV producing and Mitsuda as "Luminous Arc staff" who are working on the game. Whew.

Hurrah! I mean, I have nothing against Luminous Arc so much, in that's mostly inoffensive and mediocre, and perhaps the sequel is better, but I feel much more comforted in knowing the teams differ.

I finally feel like in the next couple of years RPGs are starting to flow out, that's awesome. Hope to see a PSP offering soon, it's getting lonely at the moment.

Twig

Banned
batbeg said:
Hurrah! I mean, I have nothing against Luminous Arc so much, in that's mostly inoffensive and mediocre, and perhaps the sequel is better, but I feel much more comforted in knowing the teams differ.

I finally feel like in the next couple of years RPGs are starting to flow out, that's awesome. Hope to see a PSP offering soon, it's getting lonely at the moment.
Completely OT: who is that in your avatar?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Its been said, but it is really amazing that MMV is putting every other 3rd party publisher to shame with their Wii output.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
So what games have this team worked on? I thought I saw someone mention Matsuno.

Maybe Capcom was right after all and quality games are coming to Wii they just take a long time to develop and announce.

Terrell

I usually hate this expression, but...

YES YES ALL OVER MY TITS

XiaNaphryz said:
Looks really nice. What's with all the Wii-related announcements lately? Are we starting to see that long-theorized shift occur over in Japan?
BINGO.

Teknoman

Alaluef said:
arcriselogo500.jpg

080627arcr01.jpg

080627arcr02.jpg

080627arcr03.jpg

080627arcr04.jpg

080627arcr05.jpg

080627arcr06.jpg

080627arcr07.jpg

080627arcr08.jpg

080627arcr09.jpg

You cant say that battle system isnt like Grandia II/III :D

JaMarco

Info on battle system:
"In Arc Rise Fantasia you hunt impure dragons and battle monsters with the Trinity Battle system on the Wii. The initial twist is AP (action points) is in a common pool for your three characters. Players have to decide if they want to invest all of their AP on a single party member or evenly distribute it. If you want to utilize powerful techniques you can spend individual SP to perform an Excel Act. However, it looks like the key to the Trinity Battle system is linking attacks with other party members with Tandem Connect and Party Connect commands."

Arde5643

Shizznizzle - Tales of Symphonia, Fragile, and now Arc Rise.

Woohoo - perhaps we can finally have the JRPG console again.

CrisKre said:
This is the type of quality I would expect Square_enix to bring to the wii. Marvelous is really building something good over in Japan, and their focus on wii will surely end up rewarding them in the long term. Pretty good business vision where almost ALL other 3rd parties failed. so yeah:

+1 Marvelous
-1 SE (for now)
It is kind of amazing how Square got it so right with the DS but called the console generation completely wrong.

I wonder what tipped Marvelous off.

ShockingAlberto said:
It is kind of amazing how Square got it so right with the DS but called the console generation completely wrong.

I think the fact that MMV deals with smaller budgets, made the Wii an obvious choice.

Terrell

ShockingAlberto said:

They probably looked at the dev kits of the other hardware, said "there's no way that the majority of games we finance will have a budget that can exploit this hardware" and went with the safe bet.

Funny thing is, their success will allow them to grow, allowing for bigger investment on the Wii titles they publish. I think they will be the first example of Wii growing the industry beyond userbase.

Ydahs

Absolutely stunning. The game isn't even completed and it's only gonna look better.

Man, I thought Fragile looked good... can't wait to see this game action!

Busaiku

ShockingAlberto said:

Well it did take SE 2 years into the DS's life to "get it".

Busaiku said:
Well it did take SE 2 years into the DS's life to "get it".
They were the first third party behind it, though.

Sure, nothing materialized for a long time, but they were right beside Nintendo at the unveil and promising remakes and new games.

Terrell said:
They probably looked at the dev kits of the other hardware, said "there's no way that the majority of games we finance will have a budget that can exploit this hardware" and went with the safe bet.

Funny thing is, their success will allow them to grow, allowing for bigger investment on the Wii titles they publish. I think they will be the first example of Wii growing the industry beyond userbase.

Now if only they could afford some budget to advertising the games...

batbeg

This and World Destruction have me excited enough about Image Epoch that I'm even finally jumping into Luminous Arc to give it a proper chance. I know it won't speak for the quality of their other titles, but dammit I'm excited :p

Redd

This................... this looks good. I'm very excited for Arc Rise Fantasia. Can't wait to see this game in motion.

AceBandage said:
Well, they certainly can't do a worse job than the publisher of NMH in NA.
I swear if Ubi gave NMH at least a 10 second TV spot on a popular network like MTV, then it would've sold much better.

batbeg

pgtl_10 said:
The site says forbidden. Please help.

Well... all the shots have been posted anyway, but for future reference, simply press enter in your address bar and it'll work (alternatively: copy and paste the link).

Meesh

Jaded Alyx said:
Why look at scans when there are direct feed screenshots in this very thread!

(unless that's what you meant)

My bad, I was hoping the scans were posted at the beggining of the thread, didn't see them and went else ware for a gander...premature postication??

But sucker of the cock this game's hot!!!!

Evilink said:
My bad, I was hoping the scans were posted at the beggining of the thread, didn't see them and went else ware for a gander...premature postication??

But sucker of the cock this game's hot!!!!

That's due to scans being against the rules now in here.

They're never hard to find anyway. :p

Fantastical said:
This looks interesting. I've never really played a traditional JRPG. Perhaps this will introduce me into the genre?

Should be simple enough to understand.
Not sure how complex the shared AP system will go, though.
Either way, if this turns out as good as it looks, it would certainly be a great RPG to begin with.

Hero of legend said:
projectray.jpg

I finally found the original high-res teaser artwork of Project Ray!

Found it at Siliconera.

The art style in that concept art is a lot more original than what I'm seeing so far in the screenshots... too bad.

A Black Falcon said:
The art style in that concept art is a lot more original than what I'm seeing so far in the screenshots... too bad.

Could be one of the cities in the game. We don't really know, since we've really only seen battle screens.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
Should be simple enough to understand.
Not sure how complex the shared AP system will go, though.
Either way, if this turns out as good as it looks, it would certainly be a great RPG to begin with.
That's good. RPG's have always been intimidating to me. I mean I enjoy Action RPG's, but mostly because of the action portion.

AceBandage said:
Could be one of the cities in the game. We don't really know, since we've really only seen battle screens.

No, there's one city, I think... looks like a pretty standard JRPG fantasy place.

Character design isn't exactly diffrent either. Hero with giant sword? I think I've seen that a few times before... I was just saying that that concept art made it look a bit more unique, but it isn't, it seems. Oh well, it certainly could be a pretty good game anyway.

Somnia

Definatly looks like my cup of tea :D There just have NOT been enough good JRPG's this gen so far. A few on 360 sure, but still...looks like the Wii is going to get some pretty good JRPG support if this continues.

jarrod

Banned
AceBandage said:
I think the fact that MMV deals with smaller budgets, made the Wii an obvious choice.
They also had a close history with Nintendo via Harvest Moon... Wada's always been a strong Nintendo supporter, even in the "dark days" of N64/GCN.

ShockingAlberto said:
They were the first third party behind it, though.

Sure, nothing materialized for a long time, but they were right beside Nintendo at the unveil and promising remakes and new games.
Same with Wii honestly... FFCC was the first (real) 3rd party game announced iirc. And I'd argue their first year Wii lineup (DQ Swords, Chocobo Dungeon, VC support) was just as significant as DS for them (Hanjuku DS, Slime Morimori 2).

Top Bottom