• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this the next step of Karkadorian math? Ourobolian time???

Kevyt

The Blagornaut sensation said:
Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut, Blagornaut,

I'm reading through an older thread again and while the game has not yet begun, I would like to give you all some universal advice:
1)Don't pull a Blarg.
2)Don't go full Blarg.
3)Lynch Blarg.
4)For the love of all, never go full Blarg.
5)If you suspect someone of being Blarg, immediately notify others.

BLARGONAUT lets out a big devilish belly laugh.

The Archery Team ain't invited to our club's exclusive summer beach mass ritual sacrifice party! >:D

giphy.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
May lose service in Boston where I am, so gonna post a little early:

NbsFFOb.png

Good afternoon, agents. As I've stated before, there are spies among us.

...OTHER spies, I mean. Whatever. I don't know how many of them there are, but I do know this - the first payment on my 100% Pygmy-made conference table is coming due. Oh, don't worry, at least 5% of my payment goes towards the families of those who died building it. All 14 of them.

Here's your mission for tonight. Decide amongst you who will go and VOLUNTEER if you are going! Do not let me down!

In the meantime, get to work figuring out who on earth has snuck their way in here!

ZgGzJ69.png

Day 1 Begins!

Night 1 Starts at:
t1438894800z1.png

Mazre

VOLUNTEER

I WANNA FLY THE TRAIN!

Also since we need to start somewhere and I'm against no evict, I've decided to vote for someone at random (1-23 via random.org). This vote in no way reflects any suspicions positive or negative.

VOTE: squidyj

Haly

Man what the fuck, I wanted to Volunteer.

Fuggit.

VOLUNTEER

cabot

Hello, fellow office drones!

I’ve been buzzin’ about the office in anticipation of the mole hunt, because nothing gets my goat more than sniffing out and destroying some commy red KGB scum. I think our particular breed is a cheeky one, as I was printing out the latest numbers on exotic locations to ‘spy’ on, I heard Back in the USSR by the Beatles playing on the stereo. It’s like they want us to find them

There’s only so much one man can do on his own in the ISIS hive, but Queen M will always be casting her watchful eye on us to make sure we’re not just feeding Pam lots of donuts and watching her rim a ruler.

Frankly, I will kick off by saying I do believe in a first day lynch, and I will be casting my vote to do so. I will be aiming for men and lady who set off my nostril alarms. The worst kind of foul.

Since a bunch have already jumped the gun and volunteered to go on a mission, I'll hold back for a little while on that front. I’ve always wanted to go to France so I can take selfie stick photos at the Eiffel tower and make obscene stereotypical jokes that the French will find hilarious, because they are hilarious!

That’s about all I have to say for now, I’m going to make a cup of coffee and pee in Cyril’s drawer.

squidyj

Even though I'm too late :( Volunteer

So at the start of a new game I like to have everyone try to guess the mafia, just for fun, so we can look back at the end and see how close we were, it's basically like gambling except you win nothing and lose nothing. I didn't get to do it in the last round because I came in as a replacement so in honor of Darryl last game I'm going to call these the “Hot out the fucking gate picks” :p. Here's mine, fingers crossed

My "Hot out the fucking gate picks”
VisualAnte2
Mike_Hawk689
Razmos
Seath
Haly

More seriously I'd like to hear from each person what they think a good town player looks like, what sort of behavior they would expect from a town player (and why) and how they hope to advance the town agenda in the game going forward. To clarify, the former is about reading other players as town and the latter is about what you yourself want to do for town. Particularly I'd like to hear about interacting with the mission mechanic and how we can best use that for town. I'll chime in with my thoughts once I've heard a few opinions.

And, finally.....
Cry havoc and let slip the hogs of war.

El Topo

Now that the game has officially begun, I think it would be helpful if we discussed the importance of missions. I assume that this is not a pointless mechanic that fits with the theme, but that there are roles that make us of missions?

That said, I would love to go on a mission, if only because that basically means that you won't get killed.

Volunteer

squidyj

I figured this would happen. First come first serve benefits the active players more. Without knowIng the point of the missions its hard to say how much that matters.

you find it difficult to postulate a reasoning why going on missions matters but you had to be one of the first on there huh?

squidyj

VOLUNTEER

I WANNA FLY THE TRAIN!

Also since we need to start somewhere and I'm against no evict, I've decided to vote for someone at random (1-23 via random.org). This vote in no way reflects any suspicions positive or negative.

VOTE: squidyj

This is the most I'm going to directly address your vote, watch me today, see what I do.

Haly

More seriously I'd like to hear from each person what they think a good town player looks like, what sort of behavior they would expect from a town player (and why) and how they hope to advance the town agenda in the game going forward.
I think you're a good town squidyj. <3

roytheone

Now that the game has officially begun, I think it would be helpful if we discussed the importance of missions. I assume that this is not a pointless mechanic that fits with the theme, but that there are roles that make us of missions?

That said, I would love to go on a mission, if only because that basically means that you won't get killed.

Volunteer

Missions are important because night role skills only work on people you are with the current night, aka a doctor only can protect either his/her fellow mission goers or his/her fellow stay behinds. As far as I know, that ALSO counts for the ability of a KGB agent to kill one of us, so if you are on a mission with only ISIS members you should be safe.

El Topo

Missions are important because night role skills only work on people you are with the current night, aka a doctor only can protect either his/her fellow mission goers or his/her fellow stay behinds. As far as I know, that ALSO counts for the ability of a KGB agent to kill one of us, so if you are on a mission with only ISIS members you should be safe.

Yeah, but there's gotta be more to it than that. I assume there are roles that require going on missions to win and/or for some ability? I also wouldn't be completely surprised if there were ways to kill someone on a mission (without being on the mission itself), if only to make things more complicated for us.

Enker

Yeah, but there's gotta be more to it than that. I assume there are roles that require going on missions to win and/or for some ability? I also wouldn't be completely surprised if there were ways to kill someone on a mission (without being on the mission itself), if only to make things more complicated for us.

What I would like to know is, if KGB are in both a mission and headquarters, do they get 2 kills in one night?

Haly

To elaborate on it, a good town is someone who is active in finding scum. This means discussion and voting. Staying silent is anti-town. Confusing people with "noise" is also anti-town.

Although this last one means 5 pages of wall-o-text discourses on why should vote such-and-such player is also anti-town... *cough*.

Anyway for new players, I think we have a few, it's understandable to remain silent because it's difficult to grasp the whole scale of the game your first time around. Just know that doing so makes you suspicious. Generally, when people can't form an opinion on you, they'll become resentful and are more likely to vote you out so try your best to get your voice out there.

roytheone

Particularly I'd like to hear about interacting with the mission mechanic and how we can best use that for town. I'll chime in with my thoughts once I've heard a few opinions.

Alright, I have some ideas about the missions. I think the system that is currently in place, where the first four persons that volunteers get it, is VERY easy for KGB agents to exploit.

We should find a way to change that.

My idea:
a day will take 4 real life days right? So why don't we do it like this:

day 1: everyone that wants to go on a mission will let the group know (not via the official volunteer command)

day 2 and 3: we make a list of everyone that wants to go and democratically choice 4 persons that are allowed to go on a mission.

day 4: the four persons that are elected will post the official Volunteer command.

Of course, this will not stop people from just posting the volunteer command without being allowed by the group, but this will be VERY suspect, so I doubt anyone will do it.
We town members have a majority, so by making the mission select a democratic vote this way the KGB agents will have a much harder time to use the system for their own benefit.

Haly

I'm losing my Hearthstone games because I'm refreshing this thread.
facepalm.gif

squidyj

To elaborate on it, a good town is someone who is active in finding scum. This means discussion and voting. Staying silent is anti-town. Confusing people with "noise" is also anti-town.

Although this last one means 5 pages of wall-o-text discourses on why should vote such-and-such player is also anti-town... *cough*.

Anyway for new players, I think we have a few, it's understandable to remain silent because it's difficult to grasp the whole scale of the game your first time around. Just know that doing so makes you suspicious. Generally, when people can't form an opinion on you, they'll become resentful and are more likely to vote you out so try your best to get your voice out there.

just to expand slightly on this is that even if you're not particularly scummy in your silence you're also not helping town very much, this means that even in a mislynch scenario town doesn't lose a lot by getting rid of you. Part of the mafia strategy in the later parts of the Animal Crossing game was to eliminate the more vocal and more aware players leaving newer players and weaker players to fend for themselves in the late game and it was a strategy that almost paid off as people became unable to notice or articulate certain points of logic about the game.

What I'm saying is if town is floundering for good targets to lynch I'm generally okay with lynching people not just for a light scum read but their lack of involvement in the town game.

squidyj

Alright, I have some ideas about the missions. I think the system that is currently in place, where the first four persons that volunteers get it, is VERY easy for KGB agents to exploit.

We should find a way to change that.

My idea:
a day will take 4 real life days right? So why don't we do it like this:

day 1: everyone that wants to go on a mission will let the group know (not via the official volunteer command)

day 2 and 3: we make a list of everyone that wants to go and democratically choice 4 persons that are allowed to go on a mission.

day 4: the four persons that are elected will post the official Volunteer command.

Of course, this will not stop people from just posting the volunteer command without being allowed by the group, but this will be VERY suspect, so I doubt anyone will do it.
We town members have a majority, so by making the mission select a democratic vote this way the KGB agents will have a much harder time to use the system for their own benefit.

what sort of people do you think we should be sending on missions? and what sort of democratic vote? do we get to vote yes/no on each individual mission member?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
HIS NAME IN REAL LIFE IS HAILEY: haly

Haly

Get out of here, Crab. You're a crustacean. You can't be an ISIS agent.

cabot

I could see a situation where a kill happens on a mission and it could lead to a goose chase of all volunteers, which could end badly (three mislynches?) if played particularly well.

The missions frighten me. I am frightened.

roytheone

what sort of people do you think we should be sending on missions? and what sort of democratic vote? do we get to vote yes/no on each individual mission member?

Good questions. About the sort of people: we have no idea until we know more about what a mission entails, unfortunately.

About the sort of vote: maybe everyone simply picks 4 people out of the list that they are OK with? My proposal is just a rough idea and it does need to be expended on, but I really think the current first come system will work against us.

Burbeting

Banned
Already started mate!

This is what you get when you are already half-aseep (around midnight here!). Sorry!

It seems lot of people have already volunteered for the mission phase, huh. Since I have never played a game with mission-system, I kinda feel like I don't want to volunteer myself just yet, even though the system does sound pretty intresting, so I might reconsider that later. Just not now, I guess.

I do agree with roytheone that the mission-system is very expoitative by the kgb agents. The system you proposed might work, but can I ask you to explain bit more how the vote would work? Will everyone just tell their favorite person out of the nominees or vote yes/no about everyone?

Ourobolus

Banned
Good questions. About the sort of people: we have no idea until we know more about what a mission entails, unfortunately.

About the sort of vote: maybe everyone simply picks 4 people out of the list that they are OK with? My proposal is just a rough idea and it does need to be expended on, but I really think the current first come system will work against us.
I actually had that idea originally, but I felt it might make discussions way, way too focused on missions rather than the actual voting, since people would basically be voting for five people at a time.

But hey, you guys can do what you want.

Haly

I actually had that idea originally, but I felt it might make discussions way, way too focused on missions rather than the actual voting, since people would basically be voting for five people at a time.

Yes, this is my thought as well. While it sounds nice, the logistics would put more of a strain on everyone more than there already is. Basically it quintuples the "voting evidence".

Mazre

@Ouro, question re: missions-
Does the list of volunteers persist day to day or does it reset at the start of each day?

Burbeting

Banned
And right after posting I see roy already answered, cool.

Maybe it could be possible to just choose 1-3 people too, if you can't decide four people (for example if you think only three of the nominees are trustworthy, and don't want to give a vote for untrustworthy-one). Or will that make vote-counting too confusing.

I do have to agree with Ouroboros that voting for mission-goers might take time and interest from the 'actual' vote, but at the same time it's true kgb might use the first-come, first-served in their advantage.

roytheone

Yes, this is my thought as well. While it sounds nice, the logistics would put more of a strain on everyone more than there already is. Basically it quintuples the "voting evidence".

The good thing about making a voting ruleset our self's is that if it doesn't work, we can change it or abandon it on the fly, ourob couldn't do that with an official rule.

So yeah, maybe it will put to much of a strain on people, but then we will just abandon it. It can't hurt to try something at least.

Ourobolus

Banned
The good thing about making a voting ruleset our self's is that if it doesn't work, we can change it or abandon it on the fly, ourob couldn't do that with an official rule.

So yeah, maybe it will put to much of a strain on people, but then we will just abandon it. It can't hurt to try something at least.
How about this. I can unofficially track mission votes if you want to go down that route, but the winners have to volunteer. Basically anything unofficial that still falls under the rules already laid out.

Top Bottom