• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any final bosses who are good guys?

NZerker12

After recently replaying MGS3 for the umpteenth time. The final boss fight with
The Boss
had me wondering:

Are there any other final bosses who are good guys?

So GAF I would like to ask, are there any or are they all mainly bad guys?

georly

A lot of final bosses probably think they are the good guys.

Very few games have you kill an actual good guy for the final boss, but more should.

Raist

Banned
After recently replaying MGS3 for the umpteenth time. The final boss fight with
The Boss
had me wondering:

Are there any other final bosses who are good guys?

So GAF I would like to ask, are there any or are they all mainly bad guys?

Well, MGS4 too.

Rymuth

Tales of Graces f - The bad guy never really wanted to destroy the world but was driven insane by one of your party members relentlessly hunting him down for years until he just snapped.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Came here for The Boss, OP already got that covered.

Well i think
Gywn
from Dark Souls may be one. But YMMV.

In DMC3 and DmC, I suppose you could consider
Vergil
"less bad" compared to others in those games. I wouldn't necessarily call him a good guy, though.

2989545-9444434403-tumbl.jpg

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pokémon, arguably. The Champions of the different Elite Fours are not bad per se. They are just good trainers who happen to fight you. And if they don't count, Red in Pokémon GSC surely does.

Also, Braid.

*wink wink*

Edit: Completely forgot about it, even though I'm totally obsessing over it right now. The Binding of Isaac. The true last boss is
Isaac himself

Sephzilla

DMC3 Vergil is a fairly solid answer I think. Right before the final Dante/Vergil fight, they team up to kill the real villain of the game. Vergil is more of an anti-hero than good guy though.

If I remember correctly, Vergil turns out to be pretty bad. It's been a while though, so maybe I'm wrong.

DmC has an awkward "he was actually bad the whole time" thing that turns him into the final boss. It's forced as hell and kind of ruins Vergil in that game.

Well, I feel like it's impossible to post anything in this thread without spoiling someone indirectly.

Like, even if I were to just post the title of a game, the thread being what it's about immediately tells you something about the ending of the game.

That disclaimer out of the way, PS2 JRPG spoiler below:

Shadow Hearts Covenant. Kato and Yuri were totally bros by the end. "You think big!"

Witcher 2 spoilers:

Both Saskia/the dragon and Letho can be considered good guys. Saskia is a downright saint when you compare her to the average person inhabiting the Witcher universe and regarding Letho - well, I might not consider him a good person, but he's definitely not bad/evil; more like an anti-villain/anti-hero.

The final boss in
The Last Story
was a good guy for most of the game, until he just stops being part of your party with no explanation and you don't see him at all until you fight him.

In the DLC for Star Wars Force Unleashed 2, you kill
Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia, and a bunch of Ewoks.

I don't recall who the FINAL boss was, but the above were definitely boss battles.

delSai

I'm not sure which Game it was, maybe Streets of Rage 2? Anyway, in one of those old side scrolling Arcade Beat em Ups you had to fight your Friend at the end. There's probably a few Games that did that.

Raist

Banned
Also arguably
(because she wasn't a boss per se, and YMMV on that one I guess), Marlene in TLoU.

Well Letho isn't bad, but he isn't definitely a good guy too.. he is a neutral, gray character

But he makes sense. He makes a lot of good points in a world that is very bad, and Geralt himself is not all sunshine and rainbows.

Letho is Garalts superior at every turn, at every twist, and that is what makes him such an appealing antagonist. I couldn't do it. I couldn't fight him, the first time I faced him, and I loved that the game had consequences and an ending that reflected that genuine emotional response I had to the truths that had been laid before me.

Top Bottom