• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any final bosses who are good guys?

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

a03.jpg

MrBadger

Most Kirby games have you fighting either a misunderstood or possessed King Dedede or Meta Knight towards the end. Those guys are the real heroes.

Ishida

Banned
I'd actually argue that Metal Gear makes a specific point to remove the concept of hero and villain from the equation. No heroes, only soldiers.

The recurring theme for those titles is definitely about the villain "changing the world order" and that the player character is always looking to restore the status quo at the beck of manipulative masters.

I agree.

I can't wrap my head around people calling Ocelot, Solidus or Big Boss "good guys".

I liked most of the stories in SW2, Magoichi's especially. I didn't really like any of the ones in SW3, haven't played SW4, but it being a single plot/campaign would probably help with the writing a bit.

Also I guess the "final" boss of Mother 3 counts? Although akin to EarthBound's final bout, the real boss battle came immediately before that, and that was more of a interactive way to end the game.

Magoichi's was good, shame we had too much of that generic stage, but the ending was nice. SW3 was kind of universally dismayed, where as SW4 has done a MUCH better job.

Nemmy

The 'final boss' of The Witcher 2 doesn't strike me as a bad guy.

He wasn't bad, really. He was a bit of an asshole, but so is everyone in that world.

I liked that you could
just go "eh, I got no reason to fight you anymore honestly" and part ways.
That's what I did.

It's been a long time since I played that part of Morrowind, but Dagoth Ur was not evil for the sake of being evil. If you do a little research off the beaten path, you can learn that he's more of a (very) misguided fallen hero.

IIRC he was described as a "mad god" by Vivec. He thought that what he was doing was right, but the means he used were insane and evil.
I actually always considered the Tribunal to be far worse - cunning, scheming evils, as opposed to a good guy who lost his way forever.

petran79

Banned
In Ecstatica if you give the Demon Lord the holy item he wants, he rewards you with women and a life of eternal pleasure.

So he's a good guy to you at least....

443569-ecstatica1_pc_18.gif

Spacejaws

I'll repeat one of my other comments but with a little more detail.

Does anyone agree with FF XII?
Vayne wanted humanity to be able to take control of their own destiny instead of being controlled by the giruvingiens or whatever, also he wants to protect his brother at the end not kill him like the whole story made you think. He just had to play the politics game but ended up going mad or something during the final confrontation.

I'll repeat one of my other comments but with a little more detail.

Does anyone agree with FF XII?
Vayne wanted humanity to be able to take control of their own destiny instead of being controlled by the giruvingiens or whatever, also he wants to protect his brother at the end not kill him like the whole story made you think. He just had to play the politics game but ended up going mad or something during the final confrontation.

He killed his own father and allies and I thought he wanted to RULE humanity himself, not establish democracy or anything. Just because he's not cartoon evil doesn't mean he's a good guy IMO.

Sotha_Sil

IIRC he was described as a "mad god" by Vivec. He thought that what he was doing was right, but the means he used were insane and evil.
I actually always considered the Tribunal to be far worse - cunning, scheming evils, as opposed to a good guy who lost his way forever.

There's definitely a lot of truths there, especially when you consider Dagoth Ur's final remarks before you defeat him. Before the battle, he asks you questions to learn more about you, and even requests that you ask him questions in case he should fall (so he could be remembered in his own words).

The Tribunal is all over the place. Sotha Sil ended up hiding himself from the rest of the world, Vivec somehow managed to delude himself into not remembering who and what he really was, and Almalexia slowly became a cold and calculated murderer.

Fandangox

Magoichi's was good, shame we had too much of that generic stage, but the ending was nice. SW3 was kind of universally dismayed, where as SW4 has done a MUCH better job.

I gotta get me a PS3 again and pick up SW4..

Also wasn't there an Atlus DS game where the final boss was
the player character fed up with the terrible things the player made him do?

Forkball

Most Pokemon games.

Gen 1: Blue. He's a dick, but doesn't actually do anything villainous.
Gen 2: Lance. He helps you fight Team Rocket and gives you useful items. Technically Red could also be considered the final boss, but he doesn't do anything evil.
Gen 3: Stephen. He actually helps you quite a bit throughout the story. He also pops up in other Pokemon games and gives you cool things.
Gen 4: Cynthia. She helps you fight Team Galactic and gives you a few story-advancing key items.
Gen 5: Ghetsis. Ok this dude is the big bad. However, he is not the Pokemon Champion and kind of hijacks the final boss role.
Gen 6: Diantha. She kinda does nothing the entire game. Seems like a nice lady though.

Kessler in Infamous 1 ended up being you from the future and he only killed your GF and pushed you so you would be ready for the beast that killed your family and everyone else in his timeline.

Sajjaja

Kessler in Infamous 1 ended up being you from the future and he only killed your GF and pushed you so you would be ready for the beast that killed your family and everyone else in his timeline.
You can say spoilers, but mention what game you are going to spoil outside of the spoilers.

Top Bottom