• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any final bosses who are good guys?

Infamous Second Son

Maybe Brooke Augustine counts seeing as her intentions were more or less pure according to that flashback.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phantasia did this way back when with Dhaos.

Life on Derris-Kharlan, his home planet, is sustained by a world tree, and it died after being exploited too heavily by some warring factions. So he travels through space to Aselia to acquire a seed from Aselia's own world tree, Yggdrasil in the hopes of creating a new source of mana for his own planet. Unfortunately, Aselia was undergoing the same industrialization that killed the tree on Derris-Kharlan, and he orchestrated a war in order to halt the process.

RIP

Sterok

Fire Emblem 6 has this, kind of.

Idoun isn't exactly evil, just manipulated by Zephiel and Jahn. Those two are defeated earlier, and all that's left is to defeat her to stop the flow of dragons from attacking the rest of Elibe. But since she was manipulated and had little to no free will, once Roy (easily) defeats her he saves her and helps give her a second chance at life.

A literal example would be Disgaea
. It's actually really cool how it's done IMO, at least when you really think about it.

Phantasia did this way back when with Dhaos.

Life on Derris-Kharlan, his home planet, is sustained by a world tree, and it died after being exploited too heavily by some warring factions. So he travels through space to Aselia to acquire a seed from Aselia's own world tree, Yggdrasil in the hopes of creating a new source of mana for his own planet. Unfortunately, Aselia was undergoing the same industrialization that killed the tree on Derris-Kharlan, and he orchestrated a war in order to halt the process.

RIP

You could say most Tales final bosses fall into this category, or at least have good intentions in mind.

Semi recent PS4 exclusive - Spoilers

Augustine in Infamous: Second Son. She holds conduits in prison, induces fear in the public and strips freedom from conduits - all in the name of safety. She fools the world into believing they are terrorists so that her DUP can continue to receive funding, so she can continue to save conduits. Her end game is really just keeping them safe, even if she's going about it a terrible way.

Amedo310

Do any of the Warriors game count? Specifically, Keiji Maeda in Yukimura's story in SW2.

How about
Keaghan
in Vindictus/ Mabinogi Heroes in season 1?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You could say most Tales final bosses fall into this category, or at least have good intentions in mind.

Yes, well, Tales writing is very one note. There's some race issues, some religion issues, some class issues, and then the big bad has his heart in the right place just kind of insane.

DmC has an awkward "he was actually bad the whole time" thing that turns him into the final boss. It's forced as hell and kind of ruins Vergil in that game.

There is quite a bit of stuff in DmC that shows Vergil doesn't really care about people except as tools, other than his genuine love for his brother. However, I do agree that Vergil's 'speech' at the end of the game to get you to join him was very poorly done. Both the timing of it and language he used was pretty obviously slapped together to make him the final boss fight.

Frost_Ace

These two:

tumblr_inline_miyptgjQIP1qz4rgp.jpg

Saturos and Menardi from Golden Sun. Born and bred heroes they are, just a bit lacking in the PR department.

This post reminds me that my golden sun 2 copy is still unopened :X

Begaria

Doing terrible deeds in the name of their own perception of good doesn't always make that final boss a "good guy", just sayin'. However, my vote would go to the final boss of Lords of Xulima. Lords of Xulima is a very recently released kickstarted PC RPG, so I don't want to go in to any spoilers here, but let's just say things aren't exactly the way you think they are with a decent twist ending.

Metal Gear Solid 3, 4 and arguably 2.

I'd actually argue that Metal Gear makes a specific point to remove the concept of hero and villain from the equation. No heroes, only soldiers.

The recurring theme for those titles is definitely about the villain "changing the world order" and that the player character is always looking to restore the status quo at the beck of manipulative masters.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pretty much all of them except for Red/Blue/Yellow where you face off against Blue, and Black/White where you face off against Ghetsis at the end.

Blue is most definitely not the "bad guy" of RBY. That title has to go to Giovanni, no contest. But Silver in GSC is a bad guy: he steals his pokémon from Elm's lab, forces them to fight, never "bonds" with them... he's as tough as they get in the Pokémon world.
Like father, like son...

And, technically, the "end boss" of the Pokémon games has to be the Champion of the Elite Four, since the credit rolls after you beat them.

Dr. Buni

Kain R. Heinlein from Garou. Last time I checked he wasn't evil.

Also, King Dedede in Kirby's Dream Land. Dedede is not evil, only kind of a jerk :)
And, technically, the "end boss" of the Pokémon games has to be the Champion of the Elite Four, since the credit rolls after you beat them.
The credits roll after you beat Ghetsis in Black and White.

Aikidoka

I agree with The Last of US picks and potentially Dark Souls (though he is a hollow when you fight him).

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (You fight Kain)

Also, How can anyone say that Saren is a good guy? The first scene of him is him killing an entire human colony.

Alister Azimuth
in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time.
Look, I don't condone all his actions, and killing Ratchet before Clank saved him was a pretty terrible move, but he was just naive and wanted to save his species by using the clock, which would bring back Ratchet as well. He also sacrificed himself in the end in order to take responsibility for his actions and save everyone. Naive? Yes. Bad guy? Definitely not.

Bladenic

The final boss of Xillia wasn't evil, as evidenced by
the fact that they both join in Xillia 2 and are far nicer.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, arguably.
Riku is more or less stopping Roxas from doing what's essentially a suicide mission.

Verger

Banned
Well Letho isn't bad, but he isn't definitely a good guy too.. he is a neutral, gray character
Yeah, and it seems like he had some good points because his purpose was IIRC to...

Stop the Sorceresses from gaining power, which they were definitely doing as they tried to influence Henselt and such. But yeah, he works for the Nilfgaard Emperor though was promised his aid in supporting Witchers.

Since I let Roche kill Henselt I couldn't really condemn him for being a "Kingslayer". I even imagine that the Sorceresses would have found someone else to dispatch The King of Temeria anyway.

Top Bottom