• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any final bosses who are good guys?

Armstrong was right.

I HAVE A DREAM!

xlarge39k85.gif

Hushed

Neo Member
Risk of Rain
The field notes make it seem like Providence is a good guy, protecting the animals of the planet from the player character that is slaughtering the creatures of that planet.

All but one of Ar Tonelico 2's villains, including the final boss, fall in the "people who think the only way to save everyone is to do something shitty" category. Sames goes for Tales of Xillia's final boss.

Ar Tonelico 3's final battle is basically you asking the will of the planet to forgive humanity for screwing it up via a song (while your front line fighters hold off its minions.)

Sami+

Semi recent PS4 exclusive - Spoilers

Augustine in Infamous: Second Son. She holds conduits in prison, induces fear in the public and strips freedom from conduits - all in the name of safety. She fools the world into believing they are terrorists so that her DUP can continue to receive funding, so she can continue to save conduits. Her end game is really just keeping them safe, even if she's going about it a terrible way.

Man, I hated this so much. Expected that asspull at the very beginning of the game.

Arrrammis

InFamous 1
Kessler turns out to be Cole from the future, and his motivation for doing all of the antagonist stuff is to forge Cole into the hero that he couldn't be.

Personally one of my favorite gaming twist moments of all time.

Sotha_Sil

It's been a long time since I played that part of Morrowind, but Dagoth Ur was not evil for the sake of being evil. If you do a little research off the beaten path, you can learn that he's more of a (very) misguided fallen hero.

Spacejaws

InFamous 1
Kessler turns out to be Cole from the future, and his motivation for doing all of the antagonist stuff is to forge Cole into the hero that he couldn't be.

Wow ok as someone who has never been interested in Infamous 1 that actually sounds really interesting. Gonna have to grab it somewhere.

The path I took means I didn't see much of
saskia
at all. Plus, I'm pretty sure
i killed letho
because while he was just going about doing some wetworks for someone, duder still put me in a bad spot. Plus, i got a sense from him that he was at peace with my decision.

But that just goes to show why the w2 is such a gem of a game. we had completely differebt stories and endings and both came away greatly pleased with it.

If you decide to let Letho live (which, I insist, is the only correct decision at that point) then Saskia is technically the final boss, but if you only went the Roche path, you wouldn't be aware of the details behind it. #TeamIorveth

I'd recommend a replay on the Iorveth path. It's really worth it. IMHO, it has both the better story as well as the better quests than the Roche path and the choice also turns out to be more in line with Geralt's ethos. You wouldn't know that at the point where you have to make the choice though; most players (including me) probably pick Roche on their first playthrough, because it really seems to be the more sensible choice given your knowledge at the time).

omonimo

Banned
InFamous 1

I'm with you. Man I will pay full price for a remake of it with the second son engine. The plot narrative in this game it's wonderful in the ending.

Lusankya

How come that in such threads 80% of the posters don't even explain their choices but just post a picture, an unfamiliar name or a game and then leave forever?

its hard to be certain since most of what we know about him is up to interpretation, but iv always felt Gwyn from dark souls was a good guy.

he may have been a dickish king, but he sacrificed himself to save the world (more or less) , that's a good guy move in my book.

EDIT: cant believe i didnt think of him first, but The Master from Fallout 1

despite being the most horrific looking and sounding monstrosity you ever did see, the guys plan (turning what remains of humanity into super mutants) was what he saw as humanity's best chance of surviving in the post apocalypse.

and he was pretty damn sincere about this, to the point that if you prove to him how his plan is flawed, he will realize just how badly he has fucked up, becomes overcome with remorse, and kills himself.

still my favorite game Antagonist ever.

Fandangox

Yep, I'd count that. Loved Yukimura's story in that game, quite an emotional build up.

I liked most of the stories in SW2, Magoichi's especially. I didn't really like any of the ones in SW3, haven't played SW4, but it being a single plot/campaign would probably help with the writing a bit.

Also I guess the "final" boss of Mother 3 counts? Although akin to EarthBound's final bout, the real boss battle came immediately before that, and that was more of a interactive way to end the game.

Puru

Hime
in Suguri
Basically the "bad guys" are invaders but one of them just want to eliminate the previous dominant life form instead of trying a cohabitation and brainwash some soldiers so they have to obey him.
Hime isn't brainwashed but he threatens her by taking their own ship civilians in hostage (destroying the civilian block of the ship if she refuses basically) so she's pretty much forced to fight you.

Another vote for Solidus.
He has a whole graveyard of skeletons in the closet but in the end his success would have rid the US of an oppressive entity capable of manipulating media and politics to puppeteer US events, and had just developed the capability of filtering internet media. His problem was that he was set up to fail from the start both practically and morally.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
6369aeb86059b8a2d09ba3db39b3a3e6.jpg

He just wants people to stay dead, since the undead ruined the world. He even gave some of his power to Death itself.

King DeDeDe in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare In Dreamland is a good example. You spend the whole game thinking he'd stolen the star rod from the fountain of dreams for his own gain, when the truth is he took it to hide it from the nightmare creatures that had started to invade dreamland, and if taking out kirby meant he could keep the star rod away from the fountain and into the hands of the nightmare creatures, he'd do it.

It was my first time playing a game where the main villian actually ended up being a good guy all along. Kirby's Adventure was fucking great.

f86ebd0bc9e3dc562e9358dd74eed2c9-the-dorklyst-the-10-greatest-hero-villain-team-ups-in-videogame-histor.jpg

One of many reasons Nightmare in Dreamland is one of my favorite Nintendo games.

Top Bottom