• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Ken

Platforms: PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Release dates: 1/26/2012 (JP), 3/20/2012 (NA), 3/23/2012 (EU)
Price: $59.99
Genre: Third-person mecha action game
Multiplayer: Online competitive and co-operative
Demo: Expired (JP), None (NA)

What is it?
Armored Core V will rely more on tactics and using the geography of the level rather than high-speed finger work. This harks back more to the original PS1 games, especially the first, as many levels were set within city type environments and were more tactical as a consequence. A notable difference will be smaller mechs (5 meter tall, as opposed to the 10 meter mech from the previous releases), which will allow more varied, "three dimensional" stages. Reports from the developer suggest a greater emphasis on stealth as a result of the size change, which allows the mech to maneuver between alleyways and buildings for cover.

Squad Based Tactical Combat
New additions to the series is the squad based mechanics; unlike in previous installments, the player will now be accompanied by a group of ACs rather than as just a solo mission. Gameplay will now focus on teamwork and cooperation. Another addition is the inclusion of the Operator, who acts as the the tactical commander, relaying information and commands. Unlike the other members, the Operator does not participate physically in combat.

- The online mode will feature five-on-five team-based battles, with each side battling over specific objectives on a persistent world map.
- The entire game world is a large seamless city ground where players can login and join in with other players if they wish. By mixing both single and multiplayer into one gaming world the game and it's missions can be played solo or with a group.
- In your own territory you can install defensive turrets or electrical fences to defend against offensives.
- There is also a mercenary system for those who do not want to be a permanent part of a clan, team or like being a "freelancer". Teams can pay mercenaries a price to build up their forces.

Pre-order bonuses: Recon pack from Amazon and the Heavy Assault pack from GameStop. Both packs contain parts that sound like they should be obtainable through normal gameplay.

Images
Videos
Release Trailer
Cinematic Trailer
Online Gameplay Trailer
Teamplay Demo
Single Player Demo
Customization and Bosses Demo
Multiplayer Overview
Additional online gameplay videos from GAF member TehGodlyPerfection.

Reviews and Impressions:

Players List - Format: GAF Username/PSN or Gamertag

PSN Players - Team Name: Dreadnoughts
glaurung/glaurung
1stStrike/Striketh
Lockon/KyoKunaki
Admiral Snackbar/AdmiralSnakbar
WreckTheLaw/WreckTheLaw
Hawk xSx/Hawk--SE
XBL Players - Team Name: Ravens_GAF
Ken/CAPCPOM
purg3/purg3
bru/bru
d0c_zaius/d0c z5000
DJ Brannon/Reisadan

*Sorry that this OT has no pretty graphics or much text. If anyone wants to make a better OT, feel free. I just made this since it didn't seem like anyone else was. Also, if anyone has more information they want added in the OP let me know! Thanks 1stStrike for making the OT a lot better!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The multiplayer looks fun. Is the frame rate during battles as bad as some have been saying?

Also the mission start "Main Systemu - Sento modo" etc is my current text ringtone.

Really curious to see how this turns out since I haven't played an AC game since the first. The multiplayer looks extremely fun.

injurai

Banned
How different is this from ZOE, I don't want to overwhelm myself with mechs this year and I can't get a sense of how they might be different.

frequency

How different is this from ZOE, I don't want to overwhelm myself with mechs this year and I can't get a sense of how they might be different.

Significantly different.
ZOE is faster, more arcade-y, and is like all air combat.

Assuming this one isn't a huge departure from past AC's, they don't feel, play, or look alike at all.

AC is more... um... sim-y...
... if you can call anything with mechs a sim.

Customization is a big part of it too.

ZOE is really just an action game. Like really... you can replace Jehuty with like a dragon and that game would still make sense in terms of gameplay.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'll be getting for 360, so you can add me to the list. Looking forward to the MP

purg3/purg3

VariantX

Its a mech sim. Its not as slow paced as MechWarrior, but you wont by flying all over the place (AC4 is the only exception to that rule). Im not 100% aware of how in depth mech tuning and building is in this game, but past AC games on the ps2 allowed players to build mechs and the individually tune the parts as well so even two mechs with the exact same parts would still perform differently. But even if thats not the case in this game, its still pretty robust.

hteng

Banned
I can shed some light on the game, been playing it since jan, feel free to post your questions.

1.) is the framerate bad?

yes it is bad, it feels like the low 20s when there's too much shit on the screen. It's never really bad until it's unplayable though. I guess it depends if you are used to sub 20 fps gaming. it's not blighttown level bad though that's for sure.

2.) is the game balanced?

it's pretty balanced so far, you get 3 types of defenses, there isn't an overwhelming weapon or armor that breaks the game, most parts however are pretty useless since they are either obsolete or just isn't that good.

3.) how indepth is the customization?

as said there are 3 type of defenses/attacks: Kinetic, Chemical and Thermal

There's no armor in the game that excels at all defenses, so there is no one size fit all solution to all approaches.

you can however, mix and match to balance things out. ie: Get a good Kinetic defense body, use a good Chemical defense hand, use good thermal defense legs..etc

there are 4 types of legs: L/M/H Biped, L/H Reverse joints, Quads and Tank, each leg type behaves differently and has unique properties. ie: Reverse joints has exceptional jumping ability, Quads can float in the air longer, tanks does not need to setup/mount to use heavy weaponary...etc

There are tons of weapons to mess around with, and i must stress that you play the game online, because you can buy weapons that can "grow", you can sorta grind weapons to an enhanced version. Sadly, you can't tune body parts, only weapons.

There are your handheld weapons, there are also weapons you need to "mount" or go into a stationary state to use them, these weapons boast supreme firepower but also leaves you vulnerable. You actually go into first person mode when mounting these weapons, making it easier to pick off people at a distance.

There are tons of stats and attributes to mess around with, each and every stat has a profound impact on the way your mech performs. You can have a mech that specialize on something but you can also make a mech that's ok at everything.

4.) how's the pace of the game?

it's of moderate pace, really depend on your build. It can be awkward coming from AC4 because the controls are unnatural. Boost is changed to toggle type, you can't hold boost to ascent continously or tap boost to jump. If you want to get over an obstacle, you will have to scale it by jump climbing it (boost drive).
Wall jumping (boost drive) is a new mechanic in the game, you can bounce off any direction from walls, it takes very little energy and is encouraged to do so for flanking maneuvers. This is where the game gets very fast pace.
There's Boost Glide, which is pretty much the overboost from previous games, but you can Boost Glide at any direction except backwards.
There's High Boost, which is the quick boost from the AC4 games, it consumes much more energy, so you can't really chain boost for long. it's not AC4 level craziness.
There's no quick 360 boost turns like the ones in AC4 though, but you can drift turn, this can only be done on the ground.

5.) is it anything like chromehounds?

absolutely not, this is every bit Armored Core.

6.) how's the co-op?

you can play co-op on everything, this include story missions, order missions and online conquests. The thing that's great about co-op is that you don't need to wait for people to join, you can just hire a mercenary to help out. There's a mercenary system (man of honor) in the game that people just hang around to be called for the next assignment.

7.) how's the single player game?

there are only 10 story missions, and 80+ order missions. Story missions are quite lengthy and mutli sectioned, order missions are side quests that's only there for you to grind for money and learn abit about the game world. It takes a good 10 hours, i think to finish them, really depend on your skill though. There are achievements in story missions that'll unlock some parts early or give extra cash.

but overall, you can get everything except 1 part by leveling up your team level.

8.) gameplay videos?
http://www.youtube.com/user/MindFlowgraph

9.) trailers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RW_uWI8hOz8#t=110s

Kacho

What are considered the best Armored Core games out there? I'd like to mess around with one this weekend. Are the PS2/PSP ones worth checking out or should i just go for Armored Core 4 or For Answer for the PS3?

Ken

What are considered the best Armored Core games out there? I'd like to mess around with one this weekend. Are the PS2/PSP ones worth checking out or should i just go for Armored Core 4 or For Answer for the PS3?

I enjoyed AC4, although I believe some people dislike it.

Of course, I enjoyed Eternal Sonata so my tastes in games are contrary to popular opinion.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

For Answer is way better.

AndyH

Neo Member
I used to love the Armored Core series on PS2 but then I picked up 4 for PS3. It was pretty poor so I'm hoping that this is a return to grace so I can pick it up!

To me, the best ones are 1, Project Phantasma, 3, Nexus, and For Answer, but almost all of them are worth checking if you like this kind of games (well, formula front and ninebreaker maybe not those two kinda suck)

Boogdud

I was really pumped for this when it was announced waaaay back when. I'm a huge AC fan and mech fanatic in general. But seeing the game in motion and the horrible framerate it's just not high on my radar anymore. That's sad because I'm pretty much willing to buy anything that has mechs in it. But anymore, I'm not willing to throw money at games with crappy performance, especially if the majority of the game is online.

KTallguy

Banned
The framerate is better in the full game, judging by the Japanese copy. I'm down to get this game and play with some like minded people. Especially online, I did have a good experience. It's not a 60fps experience but it's still fun and works well.

Nice, thanks. 2P I assume?

Yep 2P only!

Levyne

Banned
I forgot this was coming out.

Let me find my wallet.

Just for reference the only other games I've played are Another Age and For Answer, liked both.

hteng

Banned
^some achievements require team based events so those will be difficult if you are a single player type of guy.

d0c_zaius

hteng thanks for those impressions! can you say what version you were playing?

some people have been saying that the ps3 version is 2-3 fps lower on average.

Those control changes are interesting, although I'm a little concerned about the boost change.

The hiring mercs sounds awesome!

hteng

Banned
hteng thanks for those impressions! can you say what version you were playing?

some people have been saying that the ps3 version is 2-3 fps lower on average.

Those control changes are interesting, although I'm a little concerned about the boost change.

The hiring mercs sounds awesome!

i'm on the ps3 version, so i'm not sure how it performs on 360, i do know that majority of the japanese players are on PS3.

i guess i can elaborate more on the control scheme

Left bumper = toggle boost on/off
Left trigger = left weapon
Right bumper = shoulder weapon
Right trigger = right weapon
Square = High Boost (quick boost)
Triangle + Left or Right trigger = switch left or right weapons
Circle = launch recon units
X = jump / wall bounce / boost drive
L3 = Glide boost
R3 = toggle scan mode
dpad down + Left or Right trigger = purge left or right weapons

notice that you have a shoulder weapon now, this can be fired in conjunction with your left and right hand weapons. Shoulder weapon now function as a Secondary/Optional equipment part, you can stick missiles, mines, rockets, sub-computers, autoguns..etc in there.

You can carry 4 main weapons, 2 on your arm unit, and the other 2 is hangered, you can switch these weapons on the fly, but switching takes some time so making sure you carry the right choice of weaponry before engaging is always important. Due to the 3 defenses, if you are using KE weapons against heavy KE defense, it's pretty useless, you can spot this by seeing your bullets bouncing off your opponent's armor and the word "Ineffective" will flash on your screen. Of coz, with enough hits, the armor will eventually break, but it takes a considerable amount before that happens.

the game automatically purge your weapon once it's ammo is exhausted, but you can manually purge them. Purging weapons also decrease your maximum weight, so the less you carry, the faster you can go.

Recon units are also quite important, especially in an urban environment, the Radar is removed in this game, you have to rely on few well placed recon units around the map to pinpoint your opponent's location or avoid being flanked.
Another advantage is that, once detected, you can go into scan mode and literally see through walls/obstacles to spot your opponents.

Scan mode has a few neat features, in scan mode, you can't use your weapons, but your energy regenerate much faster, so if you are in a pinch, it's a good idea to go into scan mode and get the hell out of there. You can spot enemies at a distance as well, this depend on some attributes in your head unit, there's also an attribute that affects the speed of your scan. Once a scan is complete click on R trigger, you can see pretty much everything on your opponent, including their defense values and weapons. If you click on L trigger, you can mark the enemy for your teammates.

On movement, normal boost lets your skate on the ground, while you are airbourne, it makes you hover but it'll slowly descent, you can cut off the boost to drop down immediately.
Glide boost is the overboost, you can only use this on the ground, it's interesting to note that you can glide boost in any direction except backwards, while glide boosting, your mech will gradually ascent and if you press High boost, you can perform a afterburn Glide boost, this lets you travel much faster.

Wall Jumping can be difficult at first, but you only need to hold down the Jump button for successive wall jumps so it's not a time sensitive thing.

on High Boost (quick boost), you can quick boost at ANY direction, in AC4 you can only QB front back left right, you can now QB diagonal directions.
if you hold the High Boost button, you can perform a charging attack with your legs, it takes double the amount of energy for QBing.

The control changes sound nice.
AC V is more stompy because boosting and flying is less prominent than in AC 4, but less big since they're only about 5 meters tall now.
That's good to hear, since For Answer didn't pull it off well at all. Wait, five meters tall? So they are about the size of wanzers now, though a bit shorter.

hteng

Banned
The control changes sound nice.

That's good to hear, since For Answer didn't pull it off well at all. Wait, five meters tall? So they are about the size of wanzers now, though a bit shorter.

the reason they shrunk the size is because they wanted to emphasize environment usage, they can be used as cover, wall jumping/climbing, as spotting, sniping platforms..etc. and the removal of radars make this emphasis even more important, the game play become more strategic based rather than run and gun.
(though it's still pretty much run and gun at the moment if you play with random players).

I think what fromsoft can do now is introduce some really really big maps, because current maps aren't that big, there isn't any place you can camp and snipe and even if you do find a spot, people can get to you just as fast with all the wall jumping and overboosting and whatnot.

glaurung

I have had a pre-order in since as long as I can remember (I think last November).

Playing on EU PSN, you can add me to the OP, glaurung/glaurung.

Riposte

Does the mercenary stuff in the multiplayer work out well? Seems like a fanciful concept, though a really cool one.

Anyone know if the servers will be separated between regions?
I have picked up the PS3 version but hope to play with my brother when he picks up the US copy eventually.

Even after playing it for a week or so I am kinda unsure of my opinion of the game. A lot of the parts do seem really redundant which is too bad. Part of me also likes the new Wall jumping mechanic but I also just wish they felt like the old school floating AC mechs.

I may pick up another copy of AC3 on PS2 to remind me what the series used to be.

Not to say AC V is bad or anything. I am still enjoying it but some changes seem unnecessary to me. I used to love being an extremely light boost-heavy mech. And just feathering my throttle through the air raining shots on enemies. Now there really isn't a way to do that.

You can't stay boosting for long unless you are in Scanner mode. So it makes aerial combat basically useless. Maybe there are some uber boosters later that will change this.

hteng

Banned
Does the mercenary stuff in the multiplayer work out well? Seems like a fanciful concept, though a really cool one.

it works pretty well, after choosing your mission, you get to setting up your team, you can have the system randomly choose a merc for you or go into the men of honor interface to choose your merc.

each merc has a rating of sorts, which will let you know their ability to perform. At the end of the mission if you are happy with the merc you can give them good or bad ratings. The terms and condition are pretty simple, it's an even split most of the time, but money isn't a big concern in the game.

Anyone know if the servers will be separated between regions?
I have picked up the PS3 version but hope to play with my brother when he picks up the US copy eventually.

Even after playing it for a week or so I am kinda unsure of my opinion of the game. A lot of the parts do seem really redundant which is too bad. Part of me also likes the new Wall jumping mechanic but I also just wish they felt like the old school floating AC mechs.

I may pick up another copy of AC3 on PS2 to remind me what the series used to be.

Not to say AC V is bad or anything. I am still enjoying it but some changes seem unnecessary to me. I used to love being an extremely light boost-heavy mech. And just feathering my throttle through the air raining shots on enemies. Now there really isn't a way to do that.

You can't stay boosting for long unless you are in Scanner mode. So it makes aerial combat basically useless. Maybe there are some uber boosters later that will change this.

The limited boosting can be covered by wall bouncing, and lightweights travel extremely fast couple with wall bouncing, you can still play like AC4 but you must be very familiar with the terrain.
In contrast, heavy weights are pretty slow, each weight class is very distinct and tiered, ie: lightweight legs has movement ratings at least 7400+, midweight up to 6800, heavy weights only up to 4500.

This will ensure that midweights or heavyweights can never beat lightweights in terms of speed and maneuverability.

on the other hand, midweight has a tier higher rating in AP and defense compare to light weights. ie: midweight legs has at least 14k AP, while light weights only has at most 8k AP.

Better boosters and generators come at higher levels.

thundr51

Enjoyed 4Answer but I'm concerned about all the multiplayer stuff since I mostly play offline. Think I'll wait a bit and see if there's a demo.

Oh yeah I mean the weight classes definitely feel different enough.

I just wish certain boosters could have SOME vertical climb without having to bounce off walls.
Going vertical can be kind of boring when you are just bouncing against a building 10x.

And like I said it makes aerial combat kind of useless. Even the best booster I have at my current rank drains energy extremely fast unless you are in scanning mode.

I guess I am just kind of lukewarm on the wall jumping mechanic. It is fun at first but I think it is too limiting in comparison to how the old games worked.

Again, this is more of a personal preference thing. I liked how the lightweights in old games could dance through the air. AC V definitely gives them a more realistic weighty feel in comparison which isn't a bad thing of course.

Bru

Been craving a new mech game and now a whole host are either close to release or in development. Happy times!

I've had AC V on preorder for a while and can't wait to get stuck into the multiplayer aspect.

Feel free to add me to the 360 list:

bru/bru

i'm ready, got it on preorder from amazon, liked what i played from the japanese demo. i really think this is the mech game my friends and i have been waiting for since chromehounds.

hteng

Banned
Oh yeah I mean the weight classes definitely feel different enough.

I just wish certain boosters could have SOME vertical climb without having to bounce off walls.
Going vertical can be kind of boring when you are just bouncing against a building 10x.

And like I said it makes aerial combat kind of useless. Even the best booster I have at my current rank drains energy extremely fast unless you are in scanning mode.

I guess I am just kind of lukewarm on the wall jumping mechanic. It is fun at first but I think it is too limiting in comparison to how the old games worked.

Again, this is more of a personal preference thing. I liked how the lightweights in old games could dance through the air. AC V definitely gives them a more realistic weighty feel in comparison which isn't a bad thing of course.

yea i can understand why From decided to make the game more grounded though, in AC4 RJs were a bitch to deal with when they can jump so high and hover infinitely in the air and just spam missiles and sniper cannons, it was sorta broken so From wanted to make sure it doesn't happen in this game.

I have just picked up a cheap copy of 4Answer. Amazingly I never played a single Armored Core game before, despite always liking the look of them. If all goes well I shall pick up 5 on payday.

d0c_zaius

thanks again for the detailed info hteng. No radar though?!? Sounds interesting.

Hopefully I'll get it today. Still trying to decide which version to get though.

Top Bottom