• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Tawpgun

Chromehounds-esque multiplayer mode?

I'm like halfway in already. Gotta see if I like the gameplay. But no demo? :/

Hawk SE

I'm playing the US version for review and it's my first foray into the AC series. I played the AC4 and 4Answer demos, but never the full games. It's interesting and entertaining.

I am playing on PS3 and I'll have a full review hopefully on Tuesday.

yea i can understand why From decided to make the game more grounded though, in AC4 RJs were a bitch to deal with when they can jump so high and hover infinitely in the air and just spam missiles and sniper cannons, it was sorta broken so From wanted to make sure it doesn't happen in this game.

Yeah I can understand that of course. I never really got Into the multiplayer in 4 and I never got around to even buying 4answer so I never ran into that. I do remember feeling that boost was waaaaay too long in AC4 even with stock parts..

Ken

Got an email that Amazon now has release day delivery on ACV (and P4A, D3, and Disgaea 3 Vita @_@), so heads up for anyone who was thinking about ordering from them but didn't see a RDD option.

Edit: Never mind, looks like they removed the option again. How weird.

Giard

Pre-ordered. It better be good!
I was pretty bad online in 4A. If you guys ever make lobbies for beginners count me in.

Ken

Pre-ordered. It better be good!
I was pretty bad online in 4A. If you guys ever make lobbies for beginners count me in.

After a few days of playing 4 online, I decided to use 4 Kojima weapons and see how fast I could get kicked out of matches. D:

Giard

After a few days of playing 4 online, I decided to use 4 Kojima weapons and see how fast I could get kicked out of matches. D:
What I loved about playing online were the stereotypes.
80% of Americans used slow, heavy mechs with huge cannons.
80% of Asians used fast, hovering mechs with laserblades.

Hawk SE

Well here's what I can say so far. Embargoes and the like...

If you're an Armored Core 4/4Answer fan you might be disappointed - there's 0 flying
If you're not a fan of " " "/" " you will be happy there's 0 flying​

It's Armored Core to its....core. It's just slower than previous installments. But faster than say, Chromehounds which it draws a lot of its inspiration for the online from.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does anyone know if this has full campaign co op or will it be like the last game in which only select missions are going to be co op?

Ken

Does anyone know if this has full campaign co op or will it be like the last game in which only select missions are going to be co op?

hteng said:
6.) how's the co-op?

you can play co-op on everything, this include story missions, order missions and online conquests. The thing that's great about co-op is that you don't need to wait for people to join, you can just hire a mercenary to help out. There's a mercenary system (man of honor) in the game that people just hang around to be called for the next assignment.

So it sounds like everything.

Hawk SE

Yes, as stated - all missions are available for Co-Op: Story, Order, and Conquest missions.

You cannot "Quick Match" to grab players, but if you're part of a Team you can have them Rendezvous with you and you can start a mission together.

And the Mercenary program isn't working as not too many people are playing. But you can set yourself up to be hired to help people who aren't on your team to complete missions.

The game is fun, but a lot of things are putting me off.

1stStrike

Banned
I've got this pre-ordered for PS3. I'll be playing through the single player first, but looking forward to getting some online action in with some gaffers. My nick on PSN is Striketh, so feel free to add me.

I'm a an AC newb (I was OK by the end of For Answer and only played online a couple times due to lag and everyone going ape shit with swords).

This looks like it won't have that problem. I'll probably play a recon unit.

Ken

I've got this pre-ordered for PS3. I'll be playing through the single player first, but looking forward to getting some online action in with some gaffers. My nick on PSN is Striketh, so feel free to add me.

I'm a an AC newb (I was OK by the end of For Answer and only played online a couple times due to lag and everyone going ape shit with swords).

This looks like it won't have that problem. I'll probably play a recon unit.

Added!

1stStrike

Banned
One thing I'm wondering from those that have played this already, are the heavier mechs actually viable in this game? I recall in AC4 and For Answer that making a beefy mech was, ultimately, pointless in the end. You had all this armor, and bad ass weapons, but couldn't hit shit. And you'd still get 1 - 2 shotted anyway by people flying around in light weight mechs with swords.

While I intend on making a light weight mech, I do get urges to run a medium to heavy mech at times (and depending on the situation) and want to make sure I'm not going to be useless in multiplayer situations.

Lockon

Will be getting this game. Hopefully there are some decent sized community to play with.
My PSN ID: KyoKunaki if anyone want to add me.

Why won't Amazon offer release date delivery :( while have it for other games release on the same day (Resident Evil: ORC, Ninja Gaiden 3, and even Silent Hill HD collection)

1stStrike

Banned
Will be getting this game. Hopefully there are some decent sized community to play with.
My PSN ID: KyoKunaki if anyone want to add me.

Why won't Amazon offer release date delivery :( while have it for other games release on the same day (Resident Evil: ORC, Ninja Gaiden 3, and even Silent Hill HD collection)

They are. I got this on the 16th in my inbox.

Hello from Amazon.com,

We are writing to you today because you purchased a pre-order copy of 'Armored Core V.'

We are now able to offer Release-Date Delivery for this video game. This special delivery option is available to you free of charge and has been automatically applied to your order. Your copy of 'Armored Core V' will arrive on 3/20/2012.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1stStrike

Banned
I just tried to preorder it, and I didn't see it as an option. Is RDD Prime only?

Shouldn't be. I've had prime for years, though. Since you're not actually charged until it ships, try pre-ordering it on Amazon and see if they give you release date delivery. If not, I suppose you can just cancel it.

They go by pre-orders I think, in some cases. There's times when I pre-order and it doesn't show release date delivery, but then they add it later. I guess in some cases they need to verify that they have the supply to meet the demand (based on my best guess) before outright offering it.

Lockon

Well if Amazon don't have release date delivery up by tomorrow I guess I'll have to go to GameStop instead. :/ I really want the recon pack, but I guess heavy assault pack will suffice.

1stStrike

Banned
Well if Amazon don't have release date delivery up by tomorrow I guess I'll have to go to GameStop instead. :/ I really want the recon pack, but I guess heavy assault pack will suffice.

Why don't you just contact their support? Pre-order it, and either hop on their live chat or go the email route. They're obviously doing release date delivery since I have it.

Lockon

Why don't you just contact their support? Pre-order it, and either hop on their live chat or go the email route. They're obviously doing release date delivery since I have it.

I just talked to the customer support. He didn't know what is going on and told me to get one day shipping instead (lol no, I'm not paying $10+ shipping fees). I guess I'll leave my order as is and wait until tomorrow if anything come up.

Ken

Shouldn't be. I've had prime for years, though. Since you're not actually charged until it ships, try pre-ordering it on Amazon and see if they give you release date delivery. If not, I suppose you can just cancel it.

They go by pre-orders I think, in some cases. There's times when I pre-order and it doesn't show release date delivery, but then they add it later. I guess in some cases they need to verify that they have the supply to meet the demand (based on my best guess) before outright offering it.

Does your order still have RDD? I got the same email but when I checked my order the next day, I had 2-day free shipping again.

Doesn't bother me too much though since I don't have time to play until Friday.

hteng

Banned
One thing I'm wondering from those that have played this already, are the heavier mechs actually viable in this game? I recall in AC4 and For Answer that making a beefy mech was, ultimately, pointless in the end. You had all this armor, and bad ass weapons, but couldn't hit shit. And you'd still get 1 - 2 shotted anyway by people flying around in light weight mechs with swords.

While I intend on making a light weight mech, I do get urges to run a medium to heavy mech at times (and depending on the situation) and want to make sure I'm not going to be useless in multiplayer situations.

as far as i'm concerned, the tank legs are crippled in terms of mobility at the moment, they can't continously boost upwards and they can't wall jump, that means they can't scale walls as easily, their overboost is laughable, they have one of the shittiest turn rates. if you so happen to dropped down to the river bank, then you have to find a ramp to get back up, it's really stupid. Really, the only time you would want to use tank legs is to use those mounted weapons.

Heavy Bipeds are more viable, they get all the advantage from a Biped, they have reasonable load capacity, in defenses they all lean towards Thermal defense.

There's almost no blade tracking in this game, and the blades themselves have very long cool downs as well so they can't be spammed.

1stStrike

Banned
Does your order still have RDD? I got the same email but when I checked my order the next day, I had 2-day free shipping again.

Doesn't bother me too much though since I don't have time to play until Friday.

It says the 23rd in my order list, but I buy pretty much exclusively off Amazon and this happened in the past. If they send me an email saying that I have release date delivery for a game, then it'll arrive on the release date regardless of what it says in the order tracker.

as far as i'm concerned, the tank legs are crippled in terms of mobility at the moment, they can't continously boost upwards and they can't wall jump, that means they can't scale walls as easily, their overboost is laughable, they have one of the shittiest turn rates. if you so happen to dropped down to the river bank, then you have to find a ramp to get back up, it's really stupid. Really, the only time you would want to use tank legs is to use those mounted weapons.

Heavy Bipeds are more viable, they get all the advantage from a Biped, they have reasonable load capacity, in defenses they all lean towards Thermal defense.

There's almost no blade tracking in this game, and the blades themselves have very long cool downs as well so they can't be spammed.

Sounds shitty. It seems like the heavy mechs are shit compared to the lighter mechs. The low mobility is expected, but they should be able to at least boost well enough to get around. Without that, they're just going to be sitting ducks while people in lighter mechs dance circles around them.

I am glad to hear that the blades aren't an IWIN button in this game, though.

1stStrike

Banned
So, you guys completely skipped over hteng's posts?

How is the sp campaign? I don't have online and I'm renting this Tuesday. Thanks.

hteng said:
7.) how's the single player game?

there are only 10 story missions, and 80+ order missions. Story missions are quite lengthy and mutli sectioned, order missions are side quests that's only there for you to grind for money and learn abit about the game world. It takes a good 10 hours, i think to finish them, really depend on your skill though. There are achievements in story missions that'll unlock some parts early or give extra cash.

but overall, you can get everything except 1 part by leveling up your team level.

So anyone who played JP version already: Is the framerate bad like the demo version?

hteng said:
1.) is the framerate bad?

yes it is bad, it feels like the low 20s when there's too much shit on the screen. It's never really bad until it's unplayable though. I guess it depends if you are used to sub 20 fps gaming. it's not blighttown level bad though that's for sure.

hteng

Banned
Sounds shitty. It seems like the heavy mechs are shit compared to the lighter mechs. The low mobility is expected, but they should be able to at least boost well enough to get around. Without that, they're just going to be sitting ducks while people in lighter mechs dance circles around them.

I am glad to hear that the blades aren't an IWIN button in this game, though.

tanks can one shot lights if they happen to be dancing between it's sights. Those mounted weapons does incredible amount of damage in a short span of time. There's this pulse cannon that spreads like a shotgun but explode on impact and it pretty much creates a wall of death infront of the tank.

unless the lightweight is using a pilebunker (and the most powerful one), and you know how hard it is to hit anything with a pilebunker, it's not easy to kill a tank in one hit.

1stStrike

Banned
tanks can one shot lights if they happen to be dancing between it's sights. Those mounted weapons does incredible amount of damage in a short span of time. There's this pulse cannon that spreads like a shotgun but explode on impact and it pretty much creates a wall of death infront of the tank.

unless the lightweight is using a pilebunker (and the most powerful one), and you know how hard it is to hit anything with a pilebunker, it's not easy to kill a tank in one hit.

Ah ok. One of the problems with heavy vs light in AC4 and For Answer was that the bullets/lasers were too slow to keep up with the lighter mechs. If they've alleviated that problem, then I can see them being viable. That's really how it should be - if some dude in a light mech hops around a corner and takes a blast from a heavy tank, they should be pretty much fucked.

I'll have to try them all out to see which I like best. I'm kind of thinking a light to medium mech that snipes and uses beam swords. Dual pistols could be fun too (if they have pistols in this game), though. Not that I'd be able to kill much with two light weight weapons, but it'd serve my purposes for scouting.

Teknoman

So how does the operator role function online?

EDIT: Would be nice if there was proximity chat. Then you could hear enemy pilots complain/scream as they blow up ala anime style lol.

hteng

Banned
Holy shit I had no idea there were that many.

heh, neither did I, i know the fact there will be at least another game/expansion for the same universe though, judging by From's track record.

ie: AC1, AC1: project phantasma, AC1: master of arena, AC2, AC2: another age, AC3, AC3: Silent Line, AC3: Nexus, AC3: Nine Breaker, AC3 Last Raven, AC4, AC4: For Answer..etc

1stStrike

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that AC has been around as long as it has. I don't think any of the games have ever sold great - just OK to subpar, yet they keep making them. Here's hoping that the series continues to grow in popularity.

It says a lot about this series, though, to have such a dedicated fan base. I fear that the other mech games coming out will steal some of its fan base, away, however.

Top Bottom