• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

I'm honestly surprised that AC has been around as long as it has. I don't think any of the games have ever sold great - just OK to subpar, yet they keep making them. Here's hoping that the series continues to grow in popularity.

It says a lot about this series, though, to have such a dedicated fan base. I fear that the other mech games coming out will steal some of its fan base, away, however.

Ehhhh. . . pretty unlikely in the West.

Ignoring the die-hard AC fans and the old coots they're still primarily action games featuring robots so far as Western audiences are concerned. There's no real culture for robots here anymore. Sci-fi is so bland, anime is the most puerile sort, etc.

The greatest threat to Armored Core may well be Starhawk, but it's not a race worth worrying over on these shores.

Hope AC5 is good and the damned demo gets released on the US PSN.

Hmmmm I don't even think I realized how many AC games there were.

Strangely enough playing AC5 makes me want to jump back and play some old ones. I have one of the PS1 games on PSN but it is a little TOO far back. PS1 action games make my eyes bleed on my tv heh.

I don't think I ever played anything past AC2: Another Age on the PS2.
What is considered the best PS2 Armored Core game? I might go look for a Japanese copy today after work since tomorrow is a day off.

hteng

Banned
Ehhhh. . . pretty unlikely in the West.

Ignoring the die-hard AC fans and the old coots they're still primarily action games featuring robots so far as Western audiences are concerned. There's no real culture for robots here anymore. Sci-fi is so bland, anime is the most puerile sort, etc.

The greatest threat to Armored Core may well be Starhawk, but it's not a race worth worrying over on these shores.

Hope AC5 is good and the damned demo gets released on the US PSN.

uhh the greatest threat would be hawken and mechwarrior online, because this is still a simulation game at its core and this genre is pretty damn niche everywhere.

Are reviews embargoed until Tuesday? I'm really craving some HD mecha action, but For Answer kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention, I know I should wait for the inevitable price collapse.

Ken

NG3 got a 3.0 from IGN and RE: ORC got the same score from some magazine. Hopefully ACV gets a bit better scores than 3.0!

Oh well, i need more AC in my life, i have every single one, will buy this for Ps3, this saga was born in psx, i think that i couldn´t play it without the dualshock lol.

The slower pace is good news, 4 and For Answer were almost too fast, and too much flying imho.

Slightly offtopic, has anyone tried the psp versions of 3, Silent Line and Last Raven? i´ve been thinking of purchasing those and play them in the vita

uhh the greatest threat would be hawken and mechwarrior online, because this is still a simulation game at its core and this genre is pretty damn niche everywhere.

Being a console only dirty poor, they don't enter the equation for me. ^_^

Plus Hawken is an FPS.

Oh you can replace the Hand & Gun with a Cockpit Display; but it's still an FPS.

I much prefer Third Person Shooters where I can see my player avatar and in the case of Armored Core - admire my silly customizations and garish paint jobs. :D

1stStrike

Banned
Being a console only dirty poor, they don't enter the equation for me. ^_^

Plus Hawken is an FPS.

Oh you can replace the Hand & Gun with a Cockpit Display; but it's still an FPS.

I much prefer Third Person Shooters where I can see my player avatar and in the case of Armored Core - admire my silly customizations and garish paint jobs. :D

Aye, when you spend this much time customizing your mech it's nice to be able to, you know, actually see it :p

1stStrike

Banned
Out of curiosity, I did some research on how Amazon's release date delivery works. At first glance, it appears to be related to your geographical location. However, upon pressing any of the support reps, they basically aren't sure of how the system really works.

So, there you go. Amazon's delivery system is run by Skynet.

Out of curiosity, I did some research on how Amazon's release date delivery works. At first glance, it appears to be related to your geographical location. However, upon pressing any of the support reps, they basically aren't sure of how the system really works.

So, there you go. Amazon's delivery system is run by Skynet.
Well, they managed to get Devil Survivor 2 to me on release day, and I live in a small town in south Texas. So, I guess Skynet does a good enough job.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Definitely want some people to jam with on PS3. Add me!

PSN: WreckTheLaw

Though I'm totally down for some MP, I'm curious what the part unlocking is like for people who are just playing the SP. Is there a money system like in previous ACs, or do you just unlock parts as the missions progress? I've heard people mention that it's "as your team level goes up," but I'm not sure how that works in conjunction with SP. Can anyone clear that up?

Ken

Definitely want some people to jam with on PS3. Add me!

PSN: WreckTheLaw

Though I'm totally down for some MP, I'm curious what the part unlocking is like for people who are just playing the SP. Is there a money system like in previous ACs, or do you just unlock parts as the missions progress? I've heard people mention that it's "as your team level goes up," but I'm not sure how that works in conjunction with SP. Can anyone clear that up?

Added!

XBL players where are you guys?! ;_;

1stStrike

Banned
Added!

XBL players where are you guys?! ;_;

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of AC players are going to be on PS3. I have no stats to go by, but just by how things generally look the population ratio is like 80/20 PS3/360.

Whenever I think AC I think Playstation. I still remember playing the first one back in the day on my PS1.

Edit: Here's the first week's sales numbers for AC5 in Japan:

PS3: 163,906
360: 24,719

I imagine it might be a bit higher here in the states, but who knows.

Ken

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of AC players are going to be on PS3. I have no stats to go by, but just by how things generally look the population ratio is like 80/20 PS3/360.

Whenever I think AC I think Playstation. I still remember playing the first one back in the day on my PS1.

Edit: Here's the first week's sales numbers for AC5 in Japan:

PS3: 163,906
360: 24,719

I imagine it might be a bit higher here in the states, but who knows.

I know about the disparity between the two populations, and would have bought ACV on the PS3 if I had mine here, but oh well. :(

My copy shipped from Amazon. Yay.

1stStrike

Banned
I know about the disparity between the two populations, and would have bought ACV on the PS3 if I had mine here, but oh well. :(

My copy shipped from Amazon. Yay.

You'd think that 360 people would like jumping in giant robots and fucking shit up, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Maybe someday when they work out the FPS issues in the AC games...

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
For those of you worried about the move away from 4 and 4A's high flying combat, how does a video like http://youtu.be/dWGWG17dUKU make you feel?

The ACs are clearly touching the ground and bouncing off of buildings a lot, but height is maintained throughout most of the fight. There are some breathtaking maneuvers, the terrain seems to make a huge difference, and it allows for the tense moment about at about 1:40 where they both finally land in the river.

Is the requirement to bounce off of buildings off-putting? I'm not trying to come across as aggressive, I'm just legitimately curious. I played 4 and 4A online but only briefly (and before people completely stopped trying to use mid- and heavy-weight designs).

geebee

Banned
The quadruped legs are particularly good for players that want to fly/hover. May not be the fastest option movement-wise, though.

Lockon

For those of you worried about the move away from 4 and 4A's high flying combat, how does a video like http://youtu.be/dWGWG17dUKU make you feel?

The ACs are clearly touching the ground and bouncing off of buildings a lot, but height is maintained throughout most of the fight. There are some breathtaking maneuvers, the terrain seems to make a huge difference, and it allows for the tense moment about at about 1:40 where they both finally land in the river.

Is the requirement to bounce off of buildings off-putting? I'm not trying to come across as aggressive, I'm just legitimately curious. I played 4 and 4A online but only briefly (and before people completely stopped trying to use mid- and heavy-weight designs).

The thing is people (I think) didn't like what 4 and 4A were so FROM wanted to make something new or similar to older titles. I always appreciate games with new combats and I adapt to them easy. Sure there might be pros and cons, but I think that is what make each game unique. However, I'm of those that play all kind of games and enjoy all of them.

Mech/robots games are one of favorite genres (second to RPGs), and I think there are not enough of them and I thanks FROM for keeping making them. The only thing I want from FROM is stable frame rate lol. well, just my 2 cents. I'm ashamed that I haven't bought Gundam EXVS yet though, and I want the Unicorn game too lol.

Just started up my copy, it's waaaaaaay stompier. The new size is /great/, I can't stress it enough. City fighting has always been cooler.

The tutorial is kinda overload, not because it's difficult to grasp the concepts but the waypoint markers are so big I couldn't see my targets. Just blasted blind til it said I could go.

Currently the servers are down so I can't test the online stuff. It seems you have to make a Team Name upon finishing the tutorial, I wonder how that works with joining other teams?

Without getting into the customization (Favorite part), it's pretty fun based on the, oh, 20 minutes played.

1stStrike

Banned

I'm not a big fan of constantly having your face mashed into a building. It seems like the optimal way to play is to hug a building and wall jump around it, dodging as necessary, which is a rather boring tactice to me.

I don't want to necessarily go back to perma-flight, but I'm on the fence about 50 ton mechs wall jumping.

d0c_zaius

I'm liking it so far. It was a little weird to get used to at first, but the "feel" of the game feels awesome, especially when you get the movement around buildings down. I've done about 6 non story missions that were all "destroy everyone" , so I cant say anything about the story yet.

The changes to no radar, dropping recon things and the circle HUD still are weird though.

I'm digging the music and the overall gritty militaristic presentation.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm liking it so far. It was a little weird to get used to at first, but the feel of the game feels awesome, especially when you get the movement around buildings down. I've done about 6 non story missions that were all "destroy everyone" , so I cant say anything about the story yet.

The changes to no radar, dropping recon things and the circle HUD still are weird though.

I'm digging the music and the overall gritty militaristic presentation.

Damn you for getting it early.

My copy from Amazon shipped, though the estimated delivery date is the 21st. They've done this to me before, though, so I'm still confident it'll show up by the time I'm off work tomorrow.

It's either that or lose my sanity, so I'm sticking to that.

The thing is people (I think) didn't like what 4 and 4A were so FROM wanted to make something new or similar to older titles.

They failed.

From ought to do what they did with the original Armored Core games.

Make a good game with a lot of depth and let players monkey with everything. Trying to design for a particular play style just grates against my nerves.

When will the US get a demo? D:

No I actually do like the mechanic but I just wish it wasn't the only option.

It's also extremely tedious going directly vertical. Wish they would have added a sort of boost super jump at least. Going pogo stick on the side of a building 5-6 times is just boring to me And nowhere near as entertaining as feathering your thrusters to get JUST enough lift to get to the top of the building. Especially when you already have fucking boosters that can carry you half mile at insane speeds. Doesn't make sense that your vertical lift is so limited.

What are the usual complaints about?

Honestly I didn't read too much into it as most japanese gamers are too damn picky, but e bigGest complaint that I agree with is the lack of useful parts. Tere really are a ton of useless ones that everyone is just going to skim over.

Also a lot of people disliked the new armor system it seems.

Anyone know if the Us/Jpn versions have different servers?

Since the Jpn one was published by From I have a bad feeling.

Better yet anyone online to test it? heh

Teknoman

So ps3 version, the way to go for the majority of gaf? I want to rent the game tomorrow, but want to check out all aspects.

Orayn

Wasn't the case for Dark Souls, which had the exact same publishing arrangements.

1stStrike

Banned
Wait, so 360 is barren? Fuck.

360 won't be empty, but it will likely have 1/3 the population of the PSN.

Online is down still, so different servers than the japanese version most likely. If you could connect to the japanese servers then you'd be able to get online even before the US release, I'd think. I may be wrong, though, so we'll have to find out tomorrow.

So ps3 version, the way to go for the majority of gaf? I want to rent the game tomorrow, but want to check out all aspects.

Aye, for the larger and more dedicated community go PS3 if you have the option.

Man, always a series I wish I were more enthusiastic about. Think I could say that about almost anything with mechs. I want to be a bigger fan of all things mechs than I'll ever be.

Mecha

Do any of you guys find the low FPS annoying at all? I played the demo and didn't really notice it being in the mid to late 20s. I'm picking up my copy today, I just have to think of a name for my group.

geebee

Banned
Do any of you guys find the low FPS annoying at all? I played the demo and didn't really notice it being in the mid to late 20s. I'm picking up my copy today, I just have to think of a name for my group.
It will be annoying during some intense online fights in some areas(mainly the Urban Area). I found it to be, anyway... and this is coming from someone who didn't mind Blighttown's framerate.

d0c_zaius

I've played through all the ACs on PS systems, so this feels kinda weird. Port seems fine though, no glaring issues so far.

Ken if you (or anyone else on 360) want to play once the servers go up, my GT is d0c z5000

hteng

Banned

the guy has very good piloting skills, notice how he constantly switch between scan mode and combat mode, it's not an easy to do while you are engaging. He also carried very minimal weapons, which makes it easy to regen energy and move faster.

It's extremely easy to bounce off buildings, you just hold the jump button and the direction you want to bounce to and the bounced distance depends heavily on your high boost (quick boost), the higher the faster and further. The guy is using mid weight legs and body, and since this is a 1 on 1 match, there's no incentive to carry more than 2 weapons, when you are in a teambase match you'll be bogged down by the extra weapons you carry.

d0c_zaius

servers are up! does anyone want to make a 360 gaf team? if so, I need name suggestions.

and after a bit I had no problem with bouncing off of buildings or over them.

d0c_zaius

haha I was thinking Ravens_GAF but BestGAF does have a charm to it.

Currently theres only 1 team made in the US, 211.

Oh you did the OT! Then you should be able to choose the name. Or if you want to make the team thats cool too.

Top Bottom