• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Riposte

I just picked it up from the store and it's currently installing on my PS3. How's the community on the PS3 side of the house? I'd love to play with you guys.

It is hard to say overall, but the GAF team isn't so hot. I'll be on throughout the day testing new builds (and control configurations).

casabolg

Banned
The NineBreakers are really sweeping up the Conquest map. It would seem Conquest is boring to play? I want to give it a shot.

I wouldn't say it's boring but it's plenty time consuming and works best with large active teams. The only problem I have is being unable to defend a territory because it was attacked hours ago and defending it forces you to be ready to attack when they invade.

And since we're on a new page I'll ask again - what is the least busy area? I'll be leaving my team soon and need to be able to take SOME land on my own.

1stStrike

Banned
Someone turned the PS3 GAF emblem into a cumming penis with the words "Cum get some". Hilarious, I know, but I don't want to get in trouble over it... so I changed it to one of the nametag icons for now. I'll probably go back and change it to the letter "GAF" after I post this. If the person who made the NeoGAF emblem could change it back to that, that would be cool. Also wouldn't mind being sent that emblem.

If I'm reading the menu right the guy who did it was someone named Weiss /guiltyyg or something. Don't know what his problem is.

The NineBreakers are really sweeping up the Conquest map. It would seem Conquest is boring to play? I want to give it a shot.

I'll login after work and change the logo back and then give that guy the boot from the team. Kinda fucked up that someone would do that.

glaurung

Hey guys I really want to get in the PS3 team, but how do I even change teams. Plus, what's the team name?

I could also use some help with the bird boss in story mode.

Riposte

Hey guys I really want to get in the PS3 team, but how do I even change teams. Plus, what's the team name?

I could also use some help with the bird boss in story mode.

Dreadnoughts. Forget the password. You change you team in the team menu.

1stStrike

Banned
Dreadnoughts. Forget the password. You change you team in the team menu.

The password is 1218.

Cannot find a team by that name. Maybe it's because I'm in EU and the team has been registered elsewhere?

The EU and US servers are separate, so you won't be able to join the team since it was created in the US.

Edit: Team Emblem fixed and guiltyg kicked out. There's 3 open slots on the team atm.

glaurung

Oh well, no use having you guys on my friends list if the game has separate servers.

EU players are welcome to join my low level EU team.

Team name: Nilfheim
Password: one eight one two

Riposte

Still haven't figured what I want to use. Double Sniper doesn't deal as much damage as I'd like lol. What is the deal with the ready-stance snipers(e.g. Sniper Cannon)? I don't see anyone ever use them and they seem really unwieldy (not to mention have very little ammo). They seem to have very poor accuracy on top of that.

glaurung

After being disappointed with not getting into the US team last night, I tinkered with my assembly line and built a massive, second generation tank body TE mammoth core. Stacked it with autocannons and some missile launchers and then tore through an annoying ORDER mission where I had to fight two cores back to back. I think it's somewhere around ORDER mission 70 or around there. The autocannons literally ripped through those guys.

The autocannons worked pretty well on the bird boss too (STORY mission 09), but the reduced turning and mobility meant that I could not churn him down quick enough. Plus I was tired already and decided to give up after the third try. I still prefer the quick bipedal cores.

One other thing: the sentry gun projectile path is horrible. Plus the deployed turrets are pretty slow.

Giard

Still haven't figured what I want to use. Double Sniper doesn't deal as much damage as I'd like lol. What is the deal with the ready-stance snipers(e.g. Sniper Cannon)? I don't see anyone ever use them and they seem really unwieldy (not to mention have very little ammo). They seem to have very poor accuracy on top of that.
You have to manually aim them. I can't aim for shit, so I don't like them.

I joined Ravens_GAF but I'm ball garglingly terrible.

I tried a sniper build but it's damage output seems underwhelming, but I'd still rather play at at least medium range.

Anyone willing to suggest any particular routes to look into so I can at least be mildly effective instead of completely useless?

I tried some of the faster, shotgun focused things, but that sort of thing didn't really click.

Teknoman

I joined Ravens_GAF but I'm ball garglingly terrible.

I tried a sniper build but it's damage output seems underwhelming, but I'd still rather play at at least medium range.

Anyone willing to suggest any particular routes to look into so I can at least be mildly effective instead of completely useless?

I tried some of the faster, shotgun focused things, but that sort of thing didn't really click.

Medium range, have you tried a combo of gatling guns and maybe some chemical weapons?

Medium range, have you tried a combo of gatling guns and maybe some chemical weapons?

I've been messing around with some TE Lasers (which are neato but too low ammo in most cases to be worth bringing) and some battle rifles, which I'm enjoying.

Chemical is the Plasma, yeah? I'll give that a shot after work tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Teknoman

I've been messing around with some TE Lasers (which are neato but too low ammo in most cases to be worth bringing) and some battle rifles, which I'm enjoying.

Chemical is the Plasma, yeah? I'll give that a shot after work tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Well by chemical I mean any weapon that is considered CE type. Plasma and lasers are TE (Thermal Energy). Battle Rifles are CE though (some HEAT Howitzers too).

Riposte

I'm not sure if it is my connection (shouldn't be), but matchmaking is excruciating in this.

Also I love running into builds that can straight stagger/stun-lock me for dozens of seconds at a time (as a tank) lol.

If you don't follow my youtube channel then you probably don't know I put this out yesterday. This Tips N' Tricks video covers the formula to calculate your lock time in real seconds. :) As well as several other things like sub computers. My next video will be on "perfect" high boost or ACV's version of second staging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLek-GNcNtc

Riposte

Really wish this game gave you more information. Like if someone killed me I would know who exactly did it. Kind of confused how I was killed almost instantly (tank @40,000~ AP, decent defenses all around) from quite a distance without any sort of very noticeable visual effects. Any clues? It would also be nice to see who got the most kills, who killed who, etc.

Also wish picking out a specific (order) mission wasn't such a pain in the ass.

EDIT: Also, Sniper Cannons can't lock-on on tank right? Wasn't working for me.

Riposte

Another thing... I suck at using ready-position. I really want to like it, but they are such a drag to use. I'm always in the air/hanging off a building by habit and the penalty to visibility is very debilitating (especially with weapons which are basically light-shows). The benefit doesn't seem particularly worth it... Maybe I'm missing something.

Riposte

Haha, the PS3 NeoGAF clan is so dead. I just want someone with that GAF emblem to trade it to me. Considering joining another clan because Conquest is something I want to at least try. Seems like it doesn't succeed at what it attempts, but messing with the map/turret customization got me excited for it. Wish this thread was a little more lively too. Well, I guess this is what I get for jumping in late (though I didn't jump in later than a few weeks, lol)

Anyway, so I finally found my true build and it is working so well it feels cheap. A lightweight Tank with dual pulse cannons and dual Inazumis or w/e in my shoulder slot. (Gave it a dragon/dragon breath theme :p) I'm surprised it is uncommon, seems like it could be one of those "cookie-cutter" builds people talk about. I was curious how scruby people here think it is. While playing it I naturally figured out some key weaknesses to it: Piledriver, energy jammers, and keeping one's distance. Oh yeah, and stagger builds, though I haven't ran into that problem with this particular tank build. It is one of those builds that if you don't scan/recon and play accordingly you just flat out lose in seconds. (One heavy AV managed to endure my attack to basically drain most my ammo, which was the only time I've seen that happen. It was teams and I ended up getting the last kill (on him) with a charge attack.) The harsh match-ups of Duel (ranked) seems a little flawed to me. I guess it is less of a problem for an AC which doesn't restrict itself to a niche/gimmick. It bit me in the ass while I was rolling dual snipers/dual shotguns lol.

I can't really find a good middle ground between huge damage + very bulky(e.g. ready position) vs very light + unsatisfying damage(snipers with quick lock on). So I'm basically tied to this tank for now.

I played with a really good operator. I suppose they do make a difference, but not when it is my turn...

Question: Do dropped weapons count towards weight? I was considering making a lightweight build for dueling that would carry a Sniper Cannon at the start for the hell of it.

EDIT: Oh this thread is in Community, no wonder it is so dead lol.

floorbread

Neo Member
Yeah, the team I was on is pretty much dead too, and the couple of local buddies I played with completely lost interest as well. Shame since the game can be really fun. I honestly haven't been playing much either, though I watch videos on Nico every now and then. I figured I'd put a few up every couple days to keep myself interested and hopefully to get/keep others into the game. Totally have a bias towards lightweights, but today I'm featuring tanks!

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrGoober

Any news on any of the patches coming stateside? I wish they'd drop the number of territories per region too.

Question: Do dropped weapons count towards weight? I was considering making a lightweight build for dueling that would carry a Sniper Cannon at the start for the hell of it.

The weight of the purged weapons is subtracted from the overall load. Many players start off overweight with a diverse set of weapons. After a quick scan of their opponents, they drop the ineffective weapons.

Riposte

The weight of the purged weapons is subtracted from the overall load. Many players start off overweight with a diverse set of weapons. After a quick scan of their opponents, they drop the ineffective weapons.

Wow, that's so simple I feel dumb for not even realizing it on my own. That probably answers my feelings about harsh match-ups for duels, at least for most builds.

Another question: Do several copies of the same Jammer ball thing stack?

casabolg

Banned
I know it has received a lot of hate but I really like the raising team rank idea in the game. Not to say I enjoy grindfests because you don't have to treat it like one. Working with the system allows for unique parts to show up in battles and be memorable and trading parts along with jumping ship on other teams mean more than just building community for the individual player. You could make very interesting part exchanges with more experienced teams and players can work to get parts by getting in with teams and working on stuff and through acting purely for themselves community can grow from it.

If you play the game to get territories and such you get tons of experience for your team so it levels quickly anyway.

Riposte

Haha, omg, this game is HYPE.

Playing Battle Royale with my "Breath of Fire" AC (LW Tank with dual pulse cannons) and that naturally means I run out of ammo if I gun for everyone. So I'm doing well in a match (won the previous match) until there are two others left and I'm completely out of ammo. Health is relatively low too. And I realize that I have to win the battle with melee. Dodging shit like crazy trying to get in. I guess the guy underestimated my tank, because he's gets sloppy and I slam my super-hyper-w/e-it's-called boost and close the distance. Take him out with one hit (he must have been low). It seems the other guy, a tetra skirmish, also runs out of ammo after belting me a few times. So then we have a melee war and I win handily after a single hit. Good times!

Maybe a not so legit win at the highest levels of play? I see potential for stagger + melee focus because it seems to do so much damage. My problem is that I can't seem to find the magic formula that makes stagger efficient.

Considering a back-up weapon, but don't want to mess my AC's weight and power consumption too much... it feels really good right now.

Getting pile'd right near the beginning of the match because I'm slowly reconing my nearby area is always a good laugh...

soultron

Banned
Dark Souls was my first FROM game. I love min-maxing and shit. Is the online still populated in AC5? Worth picking up on 360?

Riposte

Dark Souls was my first FROM game. I love min-maxing and shit. Is the online still populated in AC5? Worth picking up on 360?

As far as I can tell the game is still populated, but not a lot of action happening in the "Conquest" system. It is all about Free Battles (1v1, free-for-all, and team deathmatch)

Gravijah

i haven't played an armored core since one of the ps2 entries, but i'm itching to play a newer entry in the series. would it be better to wait for this to drop in price, or should i pick up one of the older games? i'd be playing primarily singleplayer; do they still have the "arena"/ladder style matches?

Defunkled

I just left the Dreadnoughts, which means there is a spot on the PS3 team available. One of my friends finally got this game so him and I are forming our own team. I'll miss having access to all the parts in the shop.

I apologize. I've been rarely on despite signing up for the 360 team.

Now that bosses are on constantly, does anyone want to go for them?

We only have a single rating point now so we can't do all of them but I think we can do half of 'em?

Riposte

Dead thread, but I hear they finally patched the game. About fucking time. Gatling guns got nerfed, other nerfs and buffs, etc.

I just want to say that the OST for the game is awesome. I am now a Kota Hoshino fan and am really interested in trying the games out. They look overly complex and not newbie-friendly... but that's one of the reasons I'm interested in trying. The other reason is seeing where the tracks I like are played in-game.

Ken

I just want to say that the OST for the game is awesome. I am now a Kota Hoshino fan and am really interested in trying the games out. They look overly complex and not newbie-friendly... but that's one of the reasons I'm interested in trying. The other reason is seeing where the tracks I like are played in-game.

I love the AC4 soundtrack. The game isn't super complex; if you get stuck somewhere just post in here and I'm sure someone will help.

How is the SP campaign? I lack a PS3 and only have Silver on 360. I saw the GT review and they said the game had lots of online stuff. Would it be worth it if I'm only going to want to do SP stuff? Then again, I don't really see myself buying the game any time soon--maybe during the fall or winter. Steam stuff during the summer, etc.

Ken

How is the SP campaign? I lack a PS3 and only have Silver on 360. I saw the GT review and they said the game had lots of online stuff. Would it be worth it if I'm only going to want to do SP stuff? Then again, I don't really see myself buying the game any time soon--maybe during the fall or winter. Steam stuff during the summer, etc.

I don't think the campaign in ACV is really good, but I have been told otherwise. It seems like just a bunch of random missions being thrown at you with nothing to tie them together. ACV is really fun online, and was where I spent most of my time playing it.

KDR_11k

I don't think SP is worth it, the main story is 10 missions and these are the only longer missions. The plot is bad (what happens is extremely basic and what little it throws up in questions is never answered) and the missions kinda blur together as well since there's only a very small number of maps in the game. Then there's the order missions which are very short and usually consist of either killing a few mooks or one or two mechs. There's just too little variety. The game has boss fights but you have to be in an online team and control a certain number of territories to even attempt them. Oh and weapons you buy are better if you're connected online (can't get them with performance tendencies and they can't gain XP).

There's certainly nothing comparable with AC For Answer's Arms Forts battles accessible to a single player (maybe the boss fights are like that but I haven't been able to access them). I like the new movement system but everything else about the game feels more budget than ACfA.

2San

So can you get decent matches on xbox 360 in Europe? I want a MP game to play with my friends for the summer. :eek: I have no PS3.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just joined the 360 team

DY nasTy IV

still getting my feet wet, I think I'm the only person who liked ACFA

Top Bottom