• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

KAOS

Some screenshots and Themes...

jT3IyWo.jpg

Vgw3uCS.jpg

AxlEkxq.jpg

5dPIjlf.jpg

Yagru2o.jpg

Good track

More Themes

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m well looking forward to the inevitable melee-only challenge runs.
I would argue that it's gonna be easier than other builds unless there is some bullshit boss that you can't hit with melee.

I don't know you guys but half my kills are by way of kick-tackle or blade :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have the right gun in the inventory to fuck his shield (i think) and then he just become manageable without that.

As usual with bosses it seems that staying close is always the best tactic.

In the future i can see making an only melee build, if you have 4 of them there is basically no downtime.
My load out was with Weapon Bay,
two shoulders bubble plasma pistols, the two hit sword and a shotgun. Pressing both L1 and R1 immediately switch your gear but remember you can only use 2 weps at once, not four.

His Touhou/CAVE missile rain looks impressive but it's weak and easy to dodge. Use bubble guns to melt the shield, then 2 sword strikes, assault rush him since the sword will push him away to get a shotgun blast in.

Second phase, stay vertical. He immediately goes full sword combos so stay away and fly until he's calmed down. Then bubbles, sword, shotty. Staying vertical will spare you his flame thrower crap.

Bubble, slash, rush, shotty. His most bullshit attack is that instant grenade missile to the face that takes off 2000 AP. He can fire it when staggered when you rush in and he can pop his shield even when he's staggered. Piece of fuck shit TBH

Last edited:
I would argue that it's gonna be easier than other builds unless there is some bullshit boss that you can't hit with melee.

I don't know you guys but half my kills are by way of kick-tackle or blade :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Somebody is going to come up with some insane challenge in any case. Like rickety shield only at ng7 in Elden Ring.

GymWolf

Gold Member
My load out was with Weapon Bay, two shoulders bubble plasma pistols, the two hit sword and a shotgun. Pressing both L1 and R1 immediately switch your gear but remember you can only use 2 weps at once, not four.

His Touhou/CAVE missile rain looks impressive but it's weak and easy to dodge. Use bubble guns to melt the shield, then 2 sword strikes, assault rush him since the sword will push him away to get a shotgun blast in.

Second phase, stay vertical. He immediately goes full sword combos so stay away and fly until he's calmed down. Then bubbles, sword, shotty. Staying vertical will spare you his flame thrower crap.

Bubble, slash, rush, shotty.
Yeah, like i thought, the bubble gun is the secret, when you get his shield down he take a lot of damage.

For the future, don't spoil any strategy to me, the best thing about the game is figuring out what parts to use, i didn't readed further than bubble gun :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, like i thought, the bubble gun is the secret, when you get his shield down he take a lot of damage.

For the future, don't spoil any strategy to me, the best thing about the game is figuring out what parts to use, i didn't readed further than bubble gun :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Alright I hear you. I think I won't edit the post for people who need help but I'll add a spoiler tag. The fun of a new From game is discovery! I 100% agree. BUBBLEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It sound like bullshit, i'm more than 5 hours in and i just fought the first chapter final boss.
I mean you need NG++ to get the final ending. It IS bullshit. I am almost certain that most reviewers got one ending and said "Oh that's it" while missing 70% of missions and arena fights lol

This game is fantastic, even though I kind of suck at it. The tutorial chopper kicked my ass harder than the ogre in sekiro, that's for sure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
2 small thing the game doesn't say ( i think)

charging the back missiles is not only useful for multi-targeting, they are also more precise against single targets.

not using the hard lock on apparently make the bullet tracking a bit better, even if it sound counter-intutive.

Pelao

Just finished it.
Took me 18 hours in total. Damn fine game. Loved it.
I already want to start my next run to get another ending.

I nearly destroyed my TV on the final boss of chapter one. There are such ridiculously high difficulty spikes in this game. And it's not like Elden Ring where you can go grind elsewhere and come back when you're leveled up. You just have to smash your head against the wall until you get it. Aside from a boss battle or 2, I'm enjoying the game.

It's lacking the fun of discovery and exploration that other FromSoft games have. It's scratching that mech building itch, but I sadly I don't think it will even be a contender for GOTY this year.
Wait till you find to moonlight sword in this game

The combat in this, from the short bit I have played, is possibly the best new from combat that has been created thus far. It has the same focus that sekiro had, but with tons of customization options.

From really learned a lot during the souls era. It's extremely responsive and fluid.

I am, however, running into the same issues I had with dismounting torrent in elden ring - I accidentally hit l3 and assault boost. I may rebind it to a back paddle and leave l3 unbound if that is possible.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Do you guys think that this series will suddenly take off now, with so many FromSoft fans jumping on it after 10+ years of Souls games?

It seems like a pretty good game so far but I'm having a hard time making any predictions just yet about whether or not this game will have the same kind of appeal as Souls games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you guys think that this series will suddenly take off now, with so many FromSoft fans jumping on it after 10+ years of Souls games?

It seems like a pretty good game so far but I'm having a hard time making any predictions just yet about whether or not this game will have the same kind of appeal as Souls games.
To me its not suppose to, at end of the day Armored Core is entirely different game than Souls series. I'm hoping because of FROM more popularity more people willing to give Armored Core series fair chance instead brushing it off.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Just killed Strider is the game just this ?

After the first boss that i call bs, game nose dives into boredom, every mission plays the same, kill trash, dodge, attack, does fights become more strategic and fun ?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
To me its not suppose to, at end of the day Armored Core is entirely different game than Souls series. I hoping because of FROM more popularity more people willing to give Armored Core series fair chance instead brushing it off.
Yeah, the game is gonna do just fine sales-wise. I mean, just look at those numbers, the interest in it is pretty substantial:
P7rNkI8.png

And I'm guessing this is largely due to it being a FromSoft game, but there's an equally big interest in a really good mecha action game because there isn't that many of them to begin with these days.

I'm just wondering if this particular instalment improved the formula enough to develop the same kind of cult following as Souls games did over time. Does it stand out as a unique enough game to become its own subgenre, you know.

Finally got a chance to sit down for more than 30 mins today and I took that bastard chapter 1 boss down. I had to meme build my way through though lol. I feel dirty.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Just killed Strider is the game just this ?

After the first boss that i call bs, game nose dives into boredom, every mission plays the same, kill trash, dodge, attack, does fights become more strategic and fun ?
You do this in almost 99% of all action games, you do in Elden Ring and you do same in most any other games.

Lokaum D+

You do this in almost 99% of all action games, you do in Elden Ring and you do same in most any other games.
Yeah Yeah Yeah, really ? you could just had said that the game would get better, just did the juggernaut boss fight and that shit was fun, changed my AC to a faster type and the fight was fun as hell

Danjin44

Yeah Yeah Yeah, really ? you could just had said that the game would get better, just did the juggernaut boss fight and that shit was fun, changed my AC to a faster type and the fight was fun as hell
I feel like your mind was already set on hating this game long before it got released, especially you keep trolling about how it looked like a PS2 game, which makes me wonder why bother getting this game in the first place?

First impressions from PS5 version :
- Graphics, well...they're a mixed bag, it's not bad looking but some of the textures and geometry are...yeah.
Looked better during the first showings, then again, I watched those clips on my phone 😁

- Framerate : I expected it to be better to be honest, the first gameplay videos looked better but I bet those were captured on a PC, the transition between cinematics and gameplay is jarring since it jumps from an unlocked (mostly) framerate hovering at 30'something - 40ish and then back to 60 as soon as the gameplay starts.
I have VRR enabled and I can still feel that something's "off" - I can't imagine playing this on a non-VRR TV.

- Gameplay : I can only express my opinion regarding the control scheme - dash is square , circle is boost and pressing the Left analogue is the mega-boost ? why ? Sure, it features reconfigurable controls (something which I did 3 mins in the game) but then it fucks up with the core activation thing which requires 2 buttons and the in-game tutorial prompts.

Aesthetically wise is top-notch and a far, far cry from previous AC's, sound design is also very "meaty" - it should I say "clunk-y" ? Love it !

The RTX thing is completely bullshit btw, game says it's only enabled for the garage and yet, it auto-defaults the whole game to "quality" mode when enabled ? why not have it enabled with performance mode since it's only for the garage ffs ?

Anyway, going back to the game, cheerio !

PS : before the usual FROM defence force shows up : I've been playing FROM games since the PS2/OG Xbox era, motherfuckers will have to step-up their game sometime when it comes to technical proficiency, especially now that they've been making big bucks for more than 14+years since the release of DS on the PS3 ffs

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

I feel like your mind was already set on hating this game long before it got released, especially you keep trolling about how it looked like a PS2 game, which makes me wonder why bother getting this game in the first place?
i dont hate games just for the sake of it, i said graphicaly the game looked bad, yeah yeah like a ps2 game, but i never said the game wasnt good or fun, did i ???

i can only give my opinion about something that i have played and ll say one more time, graphicaly this game has nothing to be amazed for, but now that i m getting more parts and building new types of AC the gameplay had opened up and the games looks more fun, the first few hours are a slog and imo they should had given u an option to choose a standard, fast or tank AC on tutorial misson, would have helped a lot those that had never played a AC game before feel the game.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Having fun with the arena. I’m excited for PVP and 2v2. It’ll feel like Gundam Versus vibes and I love that.

2v2? Thought the menu said we only get 1v1 and 3v3s? Plus I only saw custom games so I don’t know how match making for this will even work.

killatopak

2v2? Thought the menu said we only get 1v1 and 3v3s? Plus I only saw custom games so I don’t know how match making for this will even work.
Honestly, I didn't confirm if there'll be 2v2. I just saw on some site that there will be up to 6 player mp.

Yeah matchmaking will be a toss up unless they implement a ranking or mmr system. I haven't played mp for AC but it was what kept the previous entries alive for some time so they'll probably have some system in place.

SnapShot

Currently going through it, not the most graphically advanced game I've played but it looks good. Has a decent amount of variety in missions, the first mission boss was a little tricky to beat and made it seem like the rest of the game was going to be similar. maybe there will be more bosses like it or harder but so far I like what I'm playing.

Last edited:

Keihart

Anyone else playing full melee? i just defeated Balteus, i was playing music on youtube because this game has almost none and needed the buff, suddenly Neco Arc's cover of Sins of the Father started playing and i got the kill, it was pretty hype.

Colored my robot like Nirvash :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Juggernaut done. I think I found a cheese?
Good booster, fly above him, charge linear rifle, shoot rifle from above him, circumventing his armor, bosoters charge because you stop in the air when shooting linear rifle, repeat+sword

Top Bottom