• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA confirms Devil Survivor 2 : Break Record localisation, early 2015 in NA

Yasumi

Banned
$50 for a DS port? I could justify SMTIV since it came with the guide. I could kind of justify PQ because they needed to hire so many major voice actors. This? Nah. Pass.

Wow, sooner than I expected, maybe we miserabe europeans will actually get the game next year.

Hey, Yakuza 5 is coming so miracles do happen.

Edit: damn, I've played the original but those boobs pointing upwards still bother the hell out of me.

Only if Nis lives long enough....heh....<.<

It was so nice to have a reliable distribiutor for Atlus games in europe....sigh

Logo:

ds2rb_teasersite_01.png

Levyne

Banned
I found the first game to be decently challenging, especially the added part for the 3ds release. Hoping for a similar design here.

Don't really care about story or have much in the way of narrative expectations.

*Record scratch/breaks* Man, that Atlus tax. Well, glad it finally got confirmed for localization, at least.

Oh you :p

Mortemis

Banned
Nice to hear. Gonna wait for that price to drop, but I'm definitely in.

Why is it $10 more expensive?

Atlus' way of getting more from day one buyers? Idk, but if you don't wanna pay that much just wait for a sale, Atlus has the some of the most 3ds sales outta anyone.

$50 for a DS port? I could justify SMTIV since it came with the guide. I could kind of justify PQ because they needed to hire so many major voice actors. This? Nah. Pass.

They added full voice acting and (according to them) double the story content apparently.

I mean, $50 for it is not egregious, just goes against expectation

L~A

Why the game costs 50$:

1) includes second scenario said to be as long as the original one
2) English dub
3) translation reworked for the original scenario
4) probably some neat bonus for the first-print

That's my take on this, anyway.

Weaker than the first? Everyone around the age of 18 was annyoing in that game. Shame thou, since the story and gameplay were pretty good.
(

If you thought the young people in the first game were annoying... hoo boy. At least in the first game you got some actual characer development, not so in the sequel. I'm curious now if the new content in this edition will try to improve that.

The designs make up for it.

It also makes some very nice gameplay changes as well, there's actually enough good skills for everyone in a party.

Edit:
Why the game costs 50$:

Because they know they can. That's it.

t26

They added full voice acting and (according to them) double the story content apparently.

I mean, $50 for it is not egregious, just goes against expectation
The first game only cost &39.99. Unless it is a really nice bonus it is hard to justify it.
I can't just be a soundtrack sample

Zareka

Is $50 really overpriced? According to a google conversation it works actually cheaper than what we'd pay in the UK and you get it on time. I never understand people saying $50 is too much.

Uthred

I sort of preferred a lot of the characters and story in the second one compared to the first, the best storylines in the first game were better but I thought the quality was really variable (and DS1 suffered from being super boring/easy when replaying for other storylines)

Why the game costs 50$:

1) includes second scenario said to be as long as the original one
2) English dub
3) translation reworked for the original scenario
4) probably some neat bonus for the first-print

That's my take on this, anyway.

Is it english dub only?

duckroll

I don't see the point of trying to figure out why it's 50 bucks based on actual content. This is a super delayed enhanced port of a DS game which didn't even sell well anywhere when it was first released. Why does it cost 50 bucks? Because it's going to sell so few copies they might not even break even with that. It sucks for consumers, but this is such a super niche thing that it's probably that or not releasing it at all. It's also a full priced 60 buck game in Japan. At least it looks like Etrian Mystery Dungeon is 40 bucks in US, because it's 70 bucks in Japan. Looooooooool. :p

Shizuka

I don't see the point of trying to figure out why it's 50 bucks based on actual content. This is a super delayed enhanced port of a DS game which didn't even sell well anywhere when it was first released. Why does it cost 50 bucks? Because it's going to sell so few copies they might not even break even with that. It sucks for consumers, but this is such a super niche thing that it's probably that or not releasing it at all. It's also a full priced 60 buck game in Japan. At least it looks like Etrian Mystery Dungeon is 40 bucks in US, because it's 70 bucks in Japan. Looooooooool. :p

If only they were adamant about keeping the price of their goods high, that'd make sense. In this case, it doesn't make sense because it'll probably be $40 a couple of months after the release and $20 a year later.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Izaya, Celty, and Shizuo appear, which is cool since the same artist who did Devil Survivor also did Durarara.

Just type "devil survivor 2 break record durarara" into Google Images & the Famitsu scan should appear since I can't link it nor find any other place with confirmation without said scan.

Main character is nameless and silent in the game, no?
Maybe he's thinking of the anime adaptation?

Caelestis

Kinda was happy until I saw the Atlus tax. No point paying so much when I still got the original laying around unfinished. Will be interesting to see how it does once it comes out though.

DNAbro

Etrain Mystery Dungeon is going to sell so bad. Must be incredibly cheap to localize.

Hikami

Hm.. I think watched the anime for this a while back but didn't really like it.
Will still buy cus Atlus, but jeez.. that $10 Atlus tax.

duckroll

If only they were adamant about keeping the price of their goods high, that'd make sense. In this case, it doesn't make sense because it'll probably be $40 a couple of months after the release and $20 a year later.

I think the majority of sales they will ever get for this title will be from the first few months of release. Only the most die-hard fans will really be interested in this. So the price drop won't really matter. It's not about the game having collector's value. Just about selling it for as much as you can to the tiny but dedicated fanbase which exists.

I will wait for the inevitable big sale every other week, especially cuz I found the original Devil Survivor 2 disappointing compared to Devil Survivor 1. I am willing to give 2 another shot but not at 50 dollars.

DNAbro

Izaya, Celty, and Shizuo appear, which is cool since the same artist who did Devil Survivor also did Durarara.

Just type "devil survivor 2 break record durarara" into Google Images & the Famitsu scan should appear since I can't link it nor find any other place with confirmation without said scan.

Maybe he's thinking of the anime adaptation?

I was wondering why everyone looked like a Durarara character.

Shizuka

I think the majority of sales they will ever get for this title will be from the first few months of release. Only the most die-hard fans will really be interested in this. So the price drop won't really matter. It's not about the game having collector's value. Just about selling it for as much as you can to the tiny but dedicated fanbase which exists.

I just think this is not the right game to charge $50. I'm an Atlus fan that have every single 3DS game from the company, all of them bought day-one. I bought SMT IV and Persona Q limited edition at launch, because those were high-profile games with a lot behind them, being original games from two of Atlus' biggest franchises. This? No, not really.

Top Bottom