• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA confirms Devil Survivor 2 : Break Record localisation, early 2015 in NA

Izaya, Celty, and Shizuo appear, which is cool since the same artist who did Devil Survivor also did Durarara.

Just type "devil survivor 2 break record durarara" into Google Images & the Famitsu scan should appear since I can't link it nor find any other place with confirmation without said scan.

Maybe he's thinking of the anime adaptation?

No Kida?

Shizuka

That dog photo reading the paper.
"I should buy a 3DS"

resized_i-should-buy-a-boat-cat-meme-generator-i-should-buy-a-3ds-18a1ad.jpg

It's a cat.

random25

I hope they added some more superbosses this time. The ones here are far too easy, and I enjoy the heck out of it in DS1 against Lucifer.

Eusis

Atlus tax new Square Enix tax. Can't say I am as cool with it for a DS port as i am with SMT IV and Persona Q though.
I almost wonder if Atlus grabbed someone that used to work at SE who thought doing that to EVERY game they put out was a great idea.

There actually likely is a kernel of truth in charging that for game that will sell low numbers anyway, the problem is how you apply it and what you do to justify it, I really hope Atlus never stops to think going and leaving a game undubbed that was originally dubbed while still demanding full price is a good idea. Though, that VA angle's probably part of why we ARE seeing these $50 price tags in the first place given how much SMTIV had, how much I assume Persona Q had, and what this game definitely must have.

duckroll

I just think this is not the right game to charge $50. I'm an Atlus fan that have every single 3DS game from the company, all of them bought day-one. I bought SMT IV and Persona Q limited edition at launch, because those were high-profile games with a lot behind them, being original games from two of Atlus' biggest franchises. This? No, not really.

I'm just pointing out that sometimes there is no "right" decision in business. It might suck for the consumer. It might suck for the publisher. Releasing an enhanced DS port on 3DS 3-4 years after the original game, with the same graphics and a promise of a pseudo-sequel included with that same asset quality is not a good value proposition in any reality. The product is what it is, the alternative I guess was to cancel the release.

Mytherin

Neo Member
I'm tempted to pick this up on day one, but at that price I might just wait for it to go on sale. I have plenty of other games to play anyway.

Glad to see it getting localized, though. I'm very excited to play it.

$50? What's your excuse this time, Atlus? Does this game even have 3D, or is it completely deficient like the first 3DS port? Are Persona 5 or Dancing going to have an additional loyal fan tax, or do you only overcharge 3DS owners?

Yes. Glad to see this being announced for localization. I have puts hundreds of hour into the devil survivor games. With the new added story content, I look forward to what will most likely be another 100 hours.

cacildo

Does this game works like the first Devil Survivor 3ds port?

Like.... the game only happens on the botton screen, while the huge, beautiful top screen is wasted with character status?

kewlmyc

Izaya, Celty, and Shizuo appear, which is cool since the same artist who did Devil Survivor also did Durarara.

Just type "devil survivor 2 break record durarara" into Google Images & the Famitsu scan should appear since I can't link it nor find any other place with confirmation without said scan.

Holy shit, I might have to change my mind about not getting this day one. I freaking love Durarara. Kicking demon ass with Shizuo, Celty, and Izaya sounds awesome.

I already played and beat the second one on the DS, but if the extra content really is as long as the original, I'll gladly buy it again. If not, I'm gonna have to wait for a price drop

Swamped

Banned
Yessssss you don't know how long I've been waiting for this announcement. Definitely more than a year i think. I adored the first game on the ds, never got the ds version of the second so I'm pretty freaking excited.

Edit: it costs $50? I don't mind i guess, but i hope it comes with some preorder goodies like SMTIV did.

duckroll

Does this game works like the first Devil Survivor 3ds port?

Like.... the game only happens on the botton screen, while the huge, beautiful top screen is wasted with character status?

If the videos so far are any indication, yes. Everything of note is still 4:3.

NeonZ

Enhanced game play -- Record Breaker gives player characters new abilities, and the world is chock full of more demons to fuse.

If they're adding new demons, I hope we get Demiurge or Ancient of Days. I always enjoy the God stand ins.

Isn't this "Enhanced Port" gimped as fuck?

Why is everyone so excited?

Well, although engine-wise it's basically the DS game but with VA and some cutscenes, no real improvements, the new story scenario is basically supposed to be like a sequel built with the same engine and assets.

I'll eat my hat if it doesn't go in sale for 25 bucks or less by Fall 2015.

Altus has taught me patience.

Same, I'm managing to wait for PQ, this will be the same. If it was 39.99 I would've bought both day one, but for 49,99 I'm out, and it is not because of the money.

jzbluz

Eh, add me to the waiting club. Thankfully I locked P5 into a cheap price because I'm cheap and do not want to wait for that one.

Majestad

Banned
Fuck yes! The original DS2 is one of the best rpgs I've played, and seems like there was a lot of effort put into this enhanced version.

I hope it comes January or February.

Shizuka

I'm just pointing out that sometimes there is no "right" decision in business. It might suck for the consumer. It might suck for the publisher. Releasing an enhanced DS port on 3DS 3-4 years after the original game, with the same graphics and a promise of a pseudo-sequel included with that same asset quality is not a good value proposition in any reality. The product is what it is, the alternative I guess was to cancel the release.

I get what you're saying, it's just that they're just minimizing the damage here.

Majestad

Banned
I always find the complain about the "Atlus Tax" ridiculous. Their games have so, so, so much content, they are actually bargains for what you are getting.

Shocking News!

The $50 tag isn't really a surprise. I'd expect this going forward for the majority of Atlus's titles, particularly the SMT/Persona stuff which has a lot of voice acting in it. Hopefully they have something better than Tarot cards for this release.

flohen95

Same, I'm managing to wait for PQ, this will be the same. If it was 39.99 I would've bought both day one, but for 49,99 I'm out, and it is not because of the money.

Let me invite you to Europe, where we've been paying the equivalent of 50$ w/o tax for 3DS games since forever and reguarly get screwed over by publishers like Atlus, where we can be happy when we eventually get these games digital only.

Though to be fair the situation's been getting a bit better

Nachos

Not really feeling the trailer, but I'll wait to hear more. The game's already rated, so I'm expecting a release in the first half of the year.

Also, Daichi sounds like Ben Diskin.

EDIT: I also hope the game doesn't suffer from the wildly inconsistent audio compression that was within Q.

Let me invite you to Europe, where we've been paying the equivalent of 50$ w/o tax for 3DS games since forever and reguarly get screwed over by publishers like Atlus, where we can be happy when we eventually get these games digital only.

Though to be fair the situation's been getting a bit better

You don't even have to ask me twice, I would move there before you even blinked. Things are shitty here, would trade getting games for cheaper for living there in a heartbeat.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to the European 2017 release for this!

Top Bottom