• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA confirms Devil Survivor 2 : Break Record localisation, early 2015 in NA

Between the higher price for a game I own the original version of, and Atlus's love of sales, I'm going to wait for the price to get slashed. Glad this game's finally getting movement though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Crawl back to mobile games.

Yeah okay.

Gimped how? It would help if you explained what you're talking about.
All I've heard is that it's the same game with bonus story content that's supposedly equal to a whole game on it's own. I've heard nothing of any "gimping".

This is a very lazy "enhanced" port that barely includes any extras worth of substance from a game that was released 3-4 years ago on this system's predecessor. To attach a price tag of $49.99 is fucking gross.

This is a very lazy "enhanced" port that barely includes any extras worth of substance from a game that was released 3-4 years ago on this system's predecessor. To attach a price tag of $49.99 is fucking gross.

Ah. Gimped to me implies that something is made worse. Basically it's the same game, some added animations, and the extra story content seems to be of substance (especially if it's as long as they say it is).

I basically didn't buy DS2 on DS because I knew this was coming. If I haven't played it, it's new to me!

Not happy about the price tag, though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Are you sure you're not thinking of Overclocked? Break Record isn't even out in Japan yet, so we have no idea if it's really lazy or not, nor do we know how extensive the extra scenario is.

I agree that charging $49.99 is disgusting, and would prefer if Atlus released it at the normal $39.99 price for 3DS games, but we should wait to see: 1) how extensive the new scenario is and 2) if there will be any pre-order bonuses that justify the $49.99 price tag, or if it will be another Persona Q situation.

I'll contest it being a lazy port, Overclocked wasn't even lazy in my eyes. Adding voice acting alone is substantial, and the new story content should be substantial as well. There will be deficiencies no doubt, though.

sensui-tomo

I'd say this looks to be a better port than say Persona 1, or golden(and i LOVE golden) due to new scenarios, new characters(more than 1) and dubbing it(which persona 1 didnt really do)

Uthred

A "lazy" (significantly) enhanced port still doesnt equate to it being "gimped as fuck" which implies thats a crippled version of the normal game

That's news to me, but you're talking like you already played it so whatever.
And I thought gimped means worse than the original, not slightly better.
Not defending the price but saying that adding another full week to the game, not to mention VA, new demons and other stuff is barely including extras worth of substance... you're out of your mind.

I'd say this looks to be a better port than say Persona 1, or golden(and i LOVE golden) due to new scenarios, new characters(more than 1) and dubbing it(which persona 1 didnt really do)

Id say the port of P1 is a vastly better port than this if you see how the original Persona 1 worked. This will probably be a better port than P2 Innocent Sin though!

Shojx

This is good news, though not surprising. I held out on the original for this inevitable version, so I'm glad I'll finally get to play it.

...That being said, at $49.99, I think I can wait a bit longer until the price drops a bit or I find the game on sale. I've already waited this long and I'm in no rush to play it, so what's a bit more waiting at this point?

Praise the gods. Loved Devil Survivor Overclocked + enjoying SMT:IV so glad I randomly picked up a game from this series.

*crosses fingers for Europe release*

PK Gaming

Cool

Devil Survivor: Overclocked is like my 3rd or 4th Megaten game, so I have high expectations for this game. My expectations aren't that high; new days for the main routes, new skills, voice acting and demons. Then again, it seems that Yamato's getting more exposure and that character is hot garbage...

I'm still stuck on the final boss of the damn DS version. So freakin' hard.

Yeah, it was tough. I took me hours of trial and error + preparation to beat it...

I bet they'll add a bunch of overpowered skills in the remake though, heh

wouldnt the only licensing issue be with the japanese owners and Funimation? I mean Tatsunoko vs capcom was able to get over here, i dont see how 3 anime characters from the same thing cant(also this is nothing like SRW where all the animes were owned by different companies in the usa ... and harmony gold for being dicks about Macross)

Durarara is own by Aniplex in the states so it'll be up to Atlus to work with Aniplex for that.

I'll say Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was a different case since most of the Tatsunoko properties weren't licensed here in the west I believe back when it came out so it was really working with the original license owners.

Alternatively, it could always be that the Durarara characters aren't part of what Atlus licensed (separate licensing required) hence why we probably won't get them.

ohlawd

you can cheese the final boss with Phys Repel.

iirc, the only route that has the final boss having Pierce is AO's.

They made good arguments for the higher price of SMTIV, less good but still okay arguments for the higher price for Persona Q, but I don't see what justifies the higher cost on this.

Nachos

They made good arguments for the higher price of SMTIV, less good but still okay arguments for the higher price for Persona Q, but I don't see what justifies the higher cost on this.

It's still early. Chances are, it all has to do with the profitability of their games, especially when the spin-offs are still niche enough to necessitate the SMT label. Maybe they'll throw in a nice bonus to entice people more, but that'll have no effect on those who are instinctively slamming the price point or those who are awaiting the inevitable sales. I think Duckroll summed things up pretty well, though.

It's not my most-preferred price, but I know the game will still be a good deal and will be really fun. I have faith in the localization, too.

I just hope that if the bonuses are being physically-printed, then they won't blow up low-res art assets like they did with the Q tarot cards.

sensui-tomo

Durarara is own by Aniplex in the states so it'll be up to Atlus to work with Aniplex for that.

I'll say Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was a different case since most of the Tatsunoko properties weren't licensed here in the west I believe back when it came out so it was really working with the original license owners.

Alternatively, it could always be that the Durarara characters aren't part of what Atlus licensed (separate licensing required) hence why we probably won't get them.

Thanks for the info, i keep forgetting about aniplex, i wish some companies could actually give insight as to how this stuff usually works, like for Tales of whenever they have multiple cross overs it makes sense why not to do it(Except when they didnt release some idolmaster stuff at one point considering they own the IP) but for this case would it just be seeing if Aniplex would agree to it,and then whatever concession they wanted?(which i guess is always the issue... money money money) Also as another note, was persona 4 golden released at $40 initially, just wondering why the atlus tax(still funny to use) never touched that title if so.

Zweizer

Banned
We will no doubt. And I hope it's NISA that handles this. Ghostlight and Atlus take far too long.

NISA is kind of a big question mark since not only they seem to be in trouble financially, their releases can have wildly varying schedules. They localized Persona Q pretty quickly, but both Etrian Odyssey games took more than half a year for example. Admittedly it's still better than a digital-only release from Atlus, or a buggy launch from Ghostlight.

I'd say, currently the situation concerning European localizations of Atlus games doesn't look very good.

Maybe we'll get a full OST.

i65YDDpw6FsO4.gif

Meia

Glad I waited, and didn't watch the anime so I have little idea about the story(just watched the first two episodes). Also glad I bought the first rerelease, now I just have to play it before this hits. :p

Uthred

Atlus is obviously going to include something else with the game like all their other $50 3DS titles.

Which further shafts anyone getting it digitally, the extra doo-dads are clearly not the reason for the price hike as by that logic they would discount the digital copy

NeonZ

If in the end they can't license the Durarara characters, I wonder if they could just change their appearance and names but otherwise avoid cutting content from the game? Either by editing their sprites or even just reusing artwork and sprites from Devil Survivor 1... I know nothing about Durarara, but I'll be disappointed if three party members added to this release are completely eliminated by the localization...

Glad I waited, and didn't watch the anime so I have little idea about the story(just watched the first two episodes). Also glad I bought the first rerelease, now I just have to play it before this hits. :p

The anime didn't really follow any of the game's routes, aside from the basic premise and characters though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yeah okay.

- new scenario that's around the length of the original scenario
- voice acting
- rearranged soundtrack by Shoji Meguro
- new character
- new cutscenes
- new casual difficulty mode

What will make this not a lazy enhanced port?

kurahador

The anime didn't really follow any of the game's routes, aside from the basic premise and characters though.

Good to know. I've watched a 2 episodes of the anime and decides to wait for the game instead. Really regret watching Danganronpa anime first before playing the game.

Thoraxes

Fuck yeah!

Doing my preorder once they're up on Bestbuy. Is a shame though they aren't matching the content in the SMT IV package for the same price.

But if $50 is what it takes to get a localization and physical editions, I am more than happy to pay that extra $10.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My only real issue isn't with the price but that with all the negative feedback they must have received over the whole 3D stats/bottom screen action back at launch not being fixed for the sequel. Big disappointment there.

Giever

Hahahaha, fuck off with that $10 hike. That was acceptable for SMTIV, maybe, but I paid regular price for Overclocked, I'm not paying $50 for Break Record.

L95

I want this, but the price is putting me off a bit.

Maybe if there is a nice preorder bonus/first print bonus.

Japanese media coverage and Atlus have been positioning the new story mode as almost as large as the original game. Kind of a sequel to the original game attached to it. So if they're being honest, it'll be step forward after Overclocked.

I'll definitely be grabbing the JP version, but I do find it hilarious that Atlus refused to give up on this thing after it got wrecked presumably by the whole lawsuit thing.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is $50 really overpriced? According to a google conversation it works actually cheaper than what we'd pay in the UK and you get it on time. I never understand people saying $50 is too much.

Yeah the US gets game cheap compared to the rest of the world. I'd love to pay $40-60USD for most games. And I do thanks to PSN! It's just Nintendo where the issue is, but all the physical third party stuff on 3DS goes cheap quickly. For digital only Ace Attorney HD I'm paying £30 or $45USD so Break Record doesn't seem so bad.

Anyway I'm expect this to hit Europe so late they won't bother to overcharge.

Not thrilled about the $50 price tag, but I never bought the original so maybe I don't have as much space to complain. Still, I'm curious what the bonuses are and how extensive the extra scenario will be. SMTIV felt worth it, but I wasn't as satisfied with PQ (although splitting the bonuses between P4AU and PQ really rubbed me the wrong way).

Top Bottom