• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA confirms Devil Survivor 2 : Break Record localisation, early 2015 in NA

Well, you have a point I guess. :p

Don't worry, I was kinda out of line there. On topic, I've heard many stories about europeans having problems with games and stuff, especially with prices. Before the "digital games" era, I can say that buying games here was a PITA too.

Faustek

Sorry for the Off Topic:

But fellow Europeans. If you are a slave to Atlus games as me Do yourself a favour in 2015. When it's time for a n3DS buy a US one.

On Topic:

yay! I still haven't finished the DS one, Thanks Ghostlight <3. Perhaps I'll ignore that one now and go for broke on 3DS ^^

Briarios

My backlog stopped me from ever getting to play DS2 ... Guess I'll give it to my nephew or something and get the new one lol

Uthred

Sorry for the Off Topic:

But fellow Europeans. If you are a slave to Atlus games as me Do yourself a favour in 2015. When it's time for a n3DS buy a US one.

Only problem with that is you then have to pay to import games or somehow get credit onto the US eShop account

I always find the complain about the "Atlus Tax" ridiculous. Their games have so, so, so much content, they are actually bargains for what you are getting.

$50 is a premium price for a 3DS game. If this is anything like the port of the first game, then this is not a premium product.

Lernaean

Banned
Don't worry, I was kinda out of line there. On topic, I've heard many stories about europeans having problems with games and stuff, especially with prices. Before the "digital games" era, I can say that buying games here was a PITA too.

We certainly pay more than you are. Average PS4 game is 60 and even 70 Euro, and about 50 Euro for WiiU and 3DS, that's 75-85$ and ~65$ respectively, but taxes are included, i don't know how that sounds to you. But I'd definitely love if Sega would wake the fuck up and do their job, which in this case as Atlus' parent company is to publish their games in Europe.

flohen95

Only problem with that is you then have to pay to import games or somehow get credit onto the US eShop account

Well, most games are actually cheaper when you import them from, say, videogamesplus.ca than when you buy them domestically. A little example: Pokémon Omega Ruby lauched at 39,99C$ in Canada and at 44,99&#8364; in Europe (with some stores also carrying it for 39,99&#8364;).
When you import from VGC, you pay 7,49C$ for shipping, which means that the game now is 47,48C$ or ~33,50&#8364; (incl. a small conversion fee). Now, if the game gets caught in the customs, you pay (in Germany, at least) an additional 19% tax, which raises the price to roughly 40&#8364;. And that's if it gets caught up in customs, which, most of the time, it doesn't.

Exceptions are, of course, Atlus games priced at 49,99$/C$, since the only example that got a retail release, Persona Q, was released at the normal 3DS game price of 44,99&#8364;/39,99&#8364; (depending on stores since there's no clear MSRP on European 3DS products as far as I'm aware). Here, you'd pay slightly more (~40,50&#8364; w/o customs, ~48-49&#8364; with customs).

Edit: Actually, I just saw that Pokémon is 44,99C$ on vgp, so imagine I cited a different 3DS game (e.g. Monster Hunter 3G or the newly announced Etrian Mystery Dungeon)

We certainly pay more than you are. Average PS4 game is 60 and even 70 Euro, and about 50 Euro for WiiU and 3DS, that's 75-85$ and ~65$ respectively, but taxes are included, i don't know how that sounds to you. But I'd definitely love if Sega would wake the fuck up and do their job, which in this case as Atlus' parent company is to publish their games in Europe.

Physical games here range from 55$ (3DS) to a maximum of about $85-90 (sometimes Wii U games, like Bayonetta and Smash). I'm not that certain on the value that I used in the conversion, it might be $5 more or $5 less. The only place that (used to, at least) treat us well is Steam, they have awesome prices here, even after they started using our currency, which many people were afraid of (me included).

Now, if the game gets caught in the customs, you pay (in Germany, at least) an additional 19% tax,

Man, I wish it was 19% here. Not gaming related, but I have to pay something like 60% when I get my figures or any import.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sorry for the Off Topic:

On Topic:

yay! I still haven't finished the DS one, Thanks Ghostlight <3. Perhaps I'll ignore that one now and go for broke on 3DS ^^

I ain't buying a US 3DS to support a company that doesn't give a fuck about me, if they decide to localise then I may decide to give them money but I'm not going out of my way to give such a company money.

Lernaean

Banned
Now, if the game gets caught in the customs, you pay (in Germany, at least) an additional 19% tax, which raises the price to roughly 40€. And that's if it gets caught up in customs, which, most of the time, it doesn't.

Depends on country. Once a book i bought from Amazon JP was held on customs. It cost about 3500Yen, which is like 30 Euro and they were asking for 70 Euro to release it. I settled it with Amazon CS, an amazing lady who contacted the customs and asked to return it and i got my money back in full, but ever since I'm very careful when buying from outside the EU.

sensui-tomo

So there is a chance the Durarara characters may not appear, yet this game will be priced fully with cut content? Is that right or am I wrong?

Boogiepop

Welp. Still have the original unopened since I never got around to it, so I guess it'll perhaps stay that way and I'll just grab this when it comes out. At least I got it for cheap!

Atlus tax whhhhyyyyy. Guess I'll see if someone will let me piggyback on their BB gamer's card thingy.

Isn't this "Enhanced Port" gimped as fuck?

Why is everyone so excited?

Gimped how? It would help if you explained what you're talking about.
All I've heard is that it's the same game with bonus story content that's supposedly equal to a whole game on it's own. I've heard nothing of any "gimping".

Wtf are durarara characters?

Google is a click away, but essentially Durarara is a light novel series that is extremely popular, giving birth to a manga, anime, and some games.

The character designer for Durarara also does the artwork for the Devil Survivor series.

So there is a chance the Durarara characters may not appear, yet this game will be priced fully with cut content? Is that right or am I wrong?

There's really nothing they can do about possible licensing problems. Those same clusterfucks prevent stuff like Super Robot Wars from getting localized.

That said I still wouldn't be happy with the price even if they're in, lol.

Crawl back to mobile games.

Speaking of mobile, Atlus has done a fantastic job devaluing their own games through near constant eShop and PSN sales. I used to buy every Atlus game day one because there was a very good chance they would become incredibly difficult to find. I even bought stuff that I wasn't completely sure I would like. Now, I don't. I would still buy day one if the prices were more reasonable, but charging a premium has only encouraged me to wait two or three months for the digital price slashing.

sensui-tomo

Atlus tax whhhhyyyyy. Guess I'll see if someone will let me piggyback on their BB gamer's card thingy.

Gimped how? It would help if you explained what you're talking about.
All I've heard is that it's the same game with bonus story content that's supposedly equal to a whole game on it's own. I've heard nothing of any "gimping".

Google is a click away, but essentially Durara is a light novel series that is extremely popular, giving birth to a manga, anime, and some games.

There's really nothing they can do about possible licensing problems. Those same clusterfucks prevent stuff like Super Robot Wars from getting localized.

That said I still wouldn't be happy with the price even if they're in, lol.

wouldnt the only licensing issue be with the japanese owners and Funimation? I mean Tatsunoko vs capcom was able to get over here, i dont see how 3 anime characters from the same thing cant(also this is nothing like SRW where all the animes were owned by different companies in the usa ... and harmony gold for being dicks about Macross)

flohen95

Man, I wish it was 19% here. Not gaming related, but I have to pay something like 60% when I get my figures or any import.

At which item value do customs apply in your country? For us, it's at 22&#8364;+ (45&#8364;+ for gifts) at which point you pay 19% import tax and then again at 150&#8364;+ where you get hit with an additional 19% customs fee (Also, when you are on vacation and bring stuff back, you don't pay unless the combined value of new items you bring with you exceeds 300&#8364; (430&#8364; by plane or ship)).

Depends on country. Once a book i bought from Amazon JP was held on customs. It cost about 3500Yen, which is like 30 Euro and they were asking for 70 Euro to release it. I settled it with Amazon CS, an amazing lady who contacted the customs and asked to return it and i got my money back in full, but ever since I'm very careful when buying from outside the EU.

That's fucking ridiculous. Where do you live?

At which item value do customs apply in your country? For us, it's at 22&#8364;+ (45&#8364;+ for gifts) at which point you pay 19% import tax and then again at 150&#8364;+ where you get hit with an additional 19% customs fee (Also, when you are on vacation and bring stuff back, you don't pay unless the combined value of new items you bring with you exceeds 300&#8364; (430&#8364; by plane or ship)).

I need to find it again, but IIRC it is anything above US$ 50, 60% plus other stuff that I cannot remember right now. I might take some time tonight and find the exact numbers, right now I'm doing other things here. And for travelers the limit is US$ 500, anything above that and the tax is even bigger than the 60%, can't remember the exact number too. But there is a plan going on to rise that to US$ 1000 or 1200, but things move so slowly here that I might not even see this happening on my lifetime.

IIRC they did a research and found that we (people that live where I do) are among the top spenders in New York when travelling there.

-Horizon-

Hope the preorder/first run stuff is better than the Persona Q one (not the limited edition one that was $70 or something).

wouldnt the only licensing issue be with the japanese owners and Funimation? I mean Tatsunoko vs capcom was able to get over here, i dont see how 3 anime characters from the same thing cant(also this is nothing like SRW where all the animes were owned by different companies in the usa ... and harmony gold for being dicks about Macross)

I couldn't answer that since I have no ability to know what the actual problem is, but it'd be an interesting question to ask NISA if anyone who is reading this has a twitter account. Every situation is different, like sometimes Tales Of games have costumes from anime series, that for one reason or another are never released overseas. Even if it's between just two or three companies, it can still be tricky. I'm just assuming the problem is contractual in nature, anyway.

ohlawd

do the DRRR characters add new scenarios or are they just straight cameos

I wouldn't be mad if they cut them. Vanilla DS2 already had a shitload of content and BR looks like it'll have even more.

but I'll miss my husbando, Shizu-chan :3

Faustek

VGP, Play-asia, Offgamers and a plethora of other sites that sell physical/e-shop cards and ships ww. Just a matter of the extra cost with imports.

I ain't buying a US 3DS to support a company that doesn't give a fuck about me, if they decide to localise then I may decide to give them money but I'm not going out of my way to give such a company money.

A fair stand to have. One I can agree with. Unfortunately for me I'm to much of a scum sucking consumer when it comes to Atlus titles.

Speaking of mobile, Atlus has done a fantastic job devaluing their own games through near constant eShop and PSN sales. I used to buy every Atlus game day one because there was a very good chance they would become incredibly difficult to find. I even bought stuff that I wasn't completely sure I would like. Now, I don't. I would still buy day one if the prices were more reasonable, but charging a premium has only encouraged me to wait two or three months for the digital price slashing.
Yeah, I've seen all the sales they have and I'm definitely not getting this Day 1. Played Overclocked and thought it was a really half-assed port. Even with the additional eighth day, I thought Atlus could have done a lot more for the overall presentation of the game. Instead, the wider top screen is wasted, we still can't efficiently skip dialogue, and all assets are the same as the DS version. Waiting for this one to go on sale.

Ooooooh mmmmm yes! Another game for 2015 (that I fully expected)! Can't wait! Keep bringing them Atlus!

EDIT: PLEASE keep the box art the same as the Japanese one! PLEASE!

Uthred

Well, most games are actually cheaper when you import them from, say, videogamesplus.ca than when you buy them domestically. A little example: Pokémon Omega Ruby lauched at 39,99C$ in Canada and at 44,99€ in Europe (with some stores also carrying it for 39,99€).
When you import from VGC, you pay 7,49C$ for shipping, which means that the game now is 47,48C$ or ~33,50€ (incl. a small conversion fee). Now, if the game gets caught in the customs, you pay (in Germany, at least) an additional 19% tax, which raises the price to roughly 40€. And that's if it gets caught up in customs, which, most of the time, it doesn't.

Exceptions are, of course, Atlus games priced at 49,99$/C$, since the only example that got a retail release, Persona Q, was released at the normal 3DS game price of 44,99€/39,99€ (depending on stores since there's no clear MSRP on European 3DS products as far as I'm aware). Here, you'd pay slightly more (~40,50€ w/o customs, ~48-49€ with customs).

Edit: Actually, I just saw that Pokémon is 44,99C$ on vgp, so imagine I cited a different 3DS game (e.g. Monster Hunter 3G or the newly announced Etrian Mystery Dungeon)

I actually imported a US 3DS but I wanted to go all digital, hate swapping carts for no readily apparent reason, while the eShop still works out cheaper its a pain in the arse having to pay a markup to cash card resellers to top it up (especially when you can buy stuff like PSN cards from Amazon.com at cost)

Atlus tax isn't great but it'll really depend on what pre-order/first-print bonuses are available. Since I've already played DS2 once (and didn't like the story/characters as much as Overclocked), I don't have a burning need to own this immediately.

SirNinja

Overclocked remains my most-played 3DS game, so this is wonderful news. Especially since there was a period of time where I seriously thought this game got canned in development.

Busaiku

do the DRRR characters add new scenarios or are they just straight cameos

I wouldn't be mad if they cut them. Vanilla DS2 already had a shitload of content and BR looks like it'll have even more.

but I'll miss my husbando, Shizu-chan :3

The game's not out anywhere, so the full extent of their involvement can't be validated.

there's a scan tho with some Japanese suff on it. So I guess it doesn't say anything important?

I can't read Japanese very well, but it seems to just be a general announcement. Stuff like it's a collaboration with Dengeki Bunko, and it mentions Izaya, Shizuo, and Celty making an entrance or something. I'm assuming there's just this one scan, but no details about how they'll affect gameplay/the story, if at all.

ohlawd

I can't read Japanese very well, but it seems to just be a general announcement. Stuff like it's a collaboration with Dengeki Bunko, and it mentions Izaya, Shizuo, and Celty making an entrance or something. I'm assuming there's just this one scan, but no details about how they'll affect gameplay/the story, if at all.

I can't read it at all so thanks for this.

Lagamorph

So this is basically Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked yeah?
If so, awesome news. I've been holding off on playing the original version and waiting on an 'Overclocked' with voice acting and the like.
Better not take as long to get to the UK as the first one did.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I loved the original version of this game on the ds very very much. Got all the endings, 100%, all extra battles, whatever.

Ready to do it again, bring it sooner rather than later please, Atlus.

Bardiche

Always felt like Devil Survivor 2 was superior to it's predecessor, so I'm looking forward to playing this on my 3DS.

However, releasing a port of a game that isn't necessarily as popular or well-known as Persona at a price tag of $49.99 isn't the best idea IMO. I can see the price going down within a short amount of time due to sales.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can't wait to play this again and beat it this time! Time to reserve.

Edit:

So tight, its not even up on Amazon yet... When can I expect it up there?

Man, I don't want to pay that ATLUS tax. It's not Persona Q or SMT IV... so I might wait for a deal to get this game. Then again, sometimes these games quickly become tough to find... blah.

Linkark07

Banned
Even though I'm glad about this localization, gonna wait for the inevitable sale. No way I'm buying a 3DS or Vita game for $50
$60 where I live actually, without taxes.

Same with Etrian Odyssey Untold 2.

Top Bottom