• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
For those outside foxtel areas this is huge

As of today anyone can get Foxtel anywhere in Australia via 360 No limitations on where you live

So foxtel finally is available anywhere in oz (with a bb connection)

That's actually really good.

Kritz

Banned
So my mother, a hairdresser, bought -multiple- pairs of scissors for the wedding in her bag. A police sarge came over and took her away. She didn't realise that she left an unattended bag in the metal scanner. Meanwhile I got pulled off the side and had a lecture / scan about my shirt. I go and grab a coffee, my pops got courted off and questioned about something. So, I go back to where we were meeting to find half the family there.

So we had a nice big group chat with the police the past 10 minutes.

I don't fly often. Is it always like this?

Guys don't wear a shirt with "giant bomb" into an airport. Jesus Christ.

wow. Did you tell them it was a gaming site?

My brother and I (then 9 and 14) got pulled aside at the airport, and they tried to confiscate the xbox we were bringing as a 'bomb'.

For those outside foxtel areas this is huge

As of today anyone can get Foxtel anywhere in Australia via 360 No limitations on where you live

So foxtel finally is available anywhere in oz (with a bb connection)

That's actually really good.

Had a quick look at the website, can't tell if you can just get sports by itself or if you have to get the starter and then add on bundle.

I'm assuming the later.

Mrs Squirrel and I will meet up with the rest of you at Grill'd around 6-ish, probably a little bit before. I'll be the dude in the vest and stripy shirt of indeterminate ethnicity with the cute blonde wife.

I do own a t-shirt that says "May the Triforce be with you", but unfortunately, they tend to frown on wearing non-collared shirts at work.

well if you bring scissors in your carry on and a shirt that says bomb on it.
yeah.
I once wore a shirt to an airport that says "I am a terrorist" in Chinese. Lucky no one working there could read it I guess.

Don't see how scissors are significantly more of a threat than the metal cutlery provided in business class.

Agyar

I once wore a shirt to an airport that says "I am a terrorist" in Chinese. Lucky no one working there could read it I guess.

Don't see how scissors are significantly more of a threat than the metal cutlery provided in business class.

Don't you know, rich white people can't be terrorists.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yeah but I think that's a huge simplification that ignores the massive difference between video and video games.
You could always stream old ass retro games on a netflix video game service. Could be doable!

I mean people love watching old movies on netflix to begin with anyway.

midonnay

you've been able to get foxtel on xbox for yonks haven't you....

they launched channels including with afl service one or two years ago...

I always envisaged streaming services to fill the role in the gaming world that TV plays in the movie world. New games will be there, but they'll fill the role that cinemas currently play.

What we'll go through over the next few years will be a transition between the cinema industry in the 1930s, where it was literally the only way to watch movies, to that of the 70s, when everyone already had televisions. In the latter day market, there are far fewer cinemas, but people watch as many movies as they ever did.

Shaneus

Name me a better movie sound track then the spongebob movie sound track.

It can't be done. And if you try you're wrong.
Hackers
Mortal Kombat
24 Hour Party People
This Is Spinal Tap
Beverly Hills Cop
Also Spawn

Does the THPS CDs count?
Singles
The Crow
Yeah, clearly the Spongebob OST is the best. If you're younger than 12.

I honestly surprised myself with how genuinely angry I've been today because the thread title has been so incredibly screwed up.
I too am frustrated with it. That's Holy screwing up two thread titles in a row, never mind the fact that the thread was created before the last one even hit 20k! Pissing me off far more than I expected :(

shaneus im getting sick now too.
I'm sorry if it was me :(

Also, that little bit more pissed now that I reached into my bag of honeycomb Pods (I'M COMFORT EATING, DAMNIT) and I found a shell with nothing inside it. Fuck.

Also also, that Cadbury chocolate with the bits of Crunchie in it as well as jelly bits is quite addictive.

Guys don't wear a shirt with "giant bomb" into an airport. Jesus Christ.
bomberman+uniqlo.jpg

Choc

Banned
Player hits other player in football match

Player sent off for hitting

Other player who got hit tells the cops

Cops get involved and want to charge other player with assault

Do you agree with this?

I think the cops should stay out of it. Of course you don't want crazy arse fights on the field, but sport is sport. There is always the risk someone is going to go mental.

Salazar

I think the cops should stay out of it. Of course you don't want crazy arse fights on the field, but sport is sport. There is always the risk someone is going to go mental.

Depends on a balance of the degree of injury (high) and of provocation/cause (low).

Bloke got his jaw shattered at indoor about a year back, but even he admitted that he had it coming.

Choc

Banned
player did not require hospital

edit: It's an interesting situation for me as a referee because the Laws of the Game actually exclude me from being responsible for shit like this as long as i have followed all the procedures layed out by FIFA. I wasn't the ref in this situation but i'd be shaking my head about the cops getting involved.

I have seen brawls where the cops SHOULD have got involved and never did. I think where it goes over the line is when spectators get involved and it turns into an all in.

Players are in the heat of the moment do things stupid. It's part of sport.

Jintor

Depends on a balance of the degree of injury (high) and of provocation/cause (low).

Bloke got his jaw shattered at indoor about a year back, but even he admitted that he had it coming.

The sporting arena isn't magically protected from the law choc, the question is whether or not the law applies in this particular circumstance

Anything by Clint mansell

I just watched the royal tenenbaums and really liked the selection of music. An orchestra version of hey Jude, ruby Tuesday, some nico and needle in the hay by Elliott smith was an excellent choice for its scene.

Choc

Banned
no you're right its not, and if someone GBH'd someone on the field absolutely.

But this really is stupid in my opinion. The cops have better things to do than this

If the guy jumped in two footed and shattered the blokes leg, nothing would have come of it police wise. Seen as part of the game (as it was a tackle, albeit a highly illegal one)

Inconsistent.

Player hits other player in football match

Player sent off for hitting

Other player who got hit tells the cops

Cops get involved and want to charge other player with assault

Do you agree with this?

So the location determines whether or not it's assault?

I can understand that you should expect to get punched if you're a Boxer/Martial Arts fighter, clearly that's what you've signed up for. I've never understood why assault charges were not brought upon those in other sports.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aren't we strictly talking soundtracks with licensed songs though?

In that case I really like the grosse point blank soundtrack.

Choc

Banned
Jase

why has zero NRL players been charged with assault despite even a king hit occuring?

This is my point. Zero consistency. Maybe if an NRL player WAS charged it wouldn't happen locally.

Im not saying the sporting arena is a place where anything goes, it can't be. But there has to be some level of consistency

As per previous example. You can illegally put someone in hospital for a few weeks with a busted leg, and the cops won't get involved because its part of the game so to speak.

Salazar

The sporting arena isn't magically protected from the law choc, the question is whether or not the law applies in this particular circumstance

Not magically protected, just socially distanced.

And I would agree with anybody who found this a macho and tissue-thin circumstance. Moreover, if I cop a broken leg or lose some teeth because somebody means to hurt me, it will probably get legal.

But it's there.

Choc

Banned
you can guarantee whoever went to the cops is going to get their legs kicked many times for the rest of the season

Shaneus

Were you born in the 1990s?
After seeing the photos from MelbGAF I'm flattered you asked, but no.

I know the Highlander situation must be rectified, I will add it to the list.

Grosse Point Blank was amazing, too. Put together by Joe Strummer himself.

And on the Cusack tip, High Fidelity had a great soundtrack, too. Oooooh, and About A Boy!

Yagharek

After seeing the photos from MelbGAF I'm flattered you asked, but no.

I know the Highlander situation must be rectified, I will add it to the list.

I was being facetious. :p

You have no excuses not to have watched Christopher Lambert's magnum opus!

Jase

why has zero NRL players been charged with assault despite even a king hit occuring?

This is my point. Zero consistency. Maybe if an NRL player WAS charged it wouldn't happen locally.

Im not saying the sporting arena is a place where anything goes, it can't be. But there has to be some level of consistency

As per previous example. You can illegally put someone in hospital for a few weeks with a busted leg, and the cops won't get involved because its part of the game so to speak.
If it's an injury sustained in regular play which shows no malicious intent, then I'm fine. Every once in a while, especially in contact sports, limbs will be broken, ligament torn and injury sustained.

However, if someone is punching me, if someone does something that is outside the 'normal play' of the sport or shows a blatant attempt to injure someone then yes, it's quite clearly assault.

I agree that there needs to be consistency. I guessing this:

you can guarantee whoever went to the cops is going to get their legs kicked many times for the rest of the season

plays a part in it too. There seems to be a culture of "what happens on the field is fair play" and that it's "unsportsmanlike" or "unaustralian" or "being a tattle-tail/whiny bitch/soft/etc" to bring the police into it.

These are all false beliefs that need to change... in my opinion, anyway.

The fact that the Canadian's (one of the friendliest, nicest, placid people I've met) national game is predicated on fighting interspersed with puck hitting confuses me on multiple levels. Having said that, there almost seem to be rules to the fighting that is/isn't allowed. Weird.

Choc

Banned
You would have anarchy in the NRL if that ever happened Jase. Players arrested each week.

What about Gridiron?

two footed lunging tackles in football are worse than being punched in the face. Player gets you at the right angle and you won't ever be able to run again. Walk yes, run no.

But a tackle like that would never be investigated by the police.

In the professional leagues i referee i clearly sometimes see players trying to take a player out. It's our job as the ref to deal with it as we see fit, but you know it is part of the game. Coaches @ that level tell their players to target another player. Not necessarily to completely injure them but tackle hard to intimidate.

Fredescu

You would have anarchy in the NRL if that ever happened Jase. Players arrested each week.
He's right though, it needs to change. You can introduce it properly and make it clear that it's happening and you won't see punch ups every week.

Choc

Banned
He's right though, it needs to change. You can introduce it properly and make it clear that it's happening and you won't see punch ups every week.

Origin would never be the same and even you would admit that fred.

Yes, i agree if a professional player was charged and dealt with it might make players think twice, but i doubt it. and the media outrage would be insane.

this was not investigated by the cops and imo is 10,000 times worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dxirUD4I7M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom