• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess IBO is perfect for people jumping in for the first time like myself, but for long time fans... maybe not so much?

Well there are some long-time fans Gundam enjoying it here and there. Right now as far as I know it hasn't descended into the status of TERRIBLE Gundam, as many other Gundam shows have had lately *coughthe00movie&TRYcough*.

It's kinda like how it is with the New Super Mario Bros. Series. They're not necessarily badly made games, but long-time Mario fans want spectacular 3D creative stuff like Galaxy from Nintendo!

I say kinda because Mario has never stooped so low as Gundam has at some points, but you get the idea.

It's been a while since this thread has done its two minutes of hate for Tiny Hats.

Well there are some long-time fans Gundam enjoying it here and there. Right now as far as I know it hasn't descended into the status of TERRIBLE Gundam, as many other Gundam shows have had lately *coughthe00movie&TRYcough*.

It's kinda like how it is with the New Super Mario Bros. Series. They're not necessarily badly made games, but long-time Mario fans want spectacular 3D creative stuff like Galaxy from Nintendo!
You're reading a lot into this one episode in.

Mature

Maho Girls Precure is a Precure season where the Cures will be Witches.

Someone here said that there's no such thing as a bad anime with witches in it (Soul Eater disagrees, so boom) but...

Not even large hats.

Tiny hats

Tiny fucking hats

TINY

FUCKING

HATS

We have a new bad witch anime.
cool teddy graham

javac

Two more episodes left. Man, it's weird, even-though Kaori and Ryo are never in any real danger, I care so much about them as people. I've never cared about two characters this much before, about their well-being, their happiness...they just make me so happy and they're not even real ;_; I love this show so much on a personal level, I just don't want it to end. I'm such a soppy mess :( It's turning me into a weirdo D:

Narag

Somera-chan 8-10
cRjfXDI.png
Good plan.

Narag

Kagewani 9-11

Yeah, this is probably going to end up being my #1 AOTY vote since it scratches the right itch for me. 10 & 11 were so good together.

javac

I've decided to do something unprecedented! Something Crazy! Insane and dangerous! Instead of watching a new show and tackling my backlog like I should....I'm going to....Re-watch the entirety of Patlabor! I don't think that I've re-watched a show up until now. It's been too damn long, time to put those Blu-rays to use again! When will I do this? I don't know, but soon. You're all free to join in on this endeavor. Noa for President.

Puruzi

Banned

Someone here said that there's no such thing as a bad anime with witches in it (Soul Eater disagrees, so boom) but...

Not even large hats.

Tiny hats

Tiny fucking hats

TINY

FUCKING

HATS

that leak was real? fuck, don't like how they look here.

javac

US
DVD
Pokemon The Movie 1: Mewtwo Strikes Back [VIZ]
Release Date: February 9, 2016
Run Time: 85 min
Audio: English
Subtitles: English
Format: One-disc set (1 DVD)
Price:
DVD @ Amazon.com: $14.98

9lFqGJF.jpg

rtKBW7E.jpg

Pokemon The Movie 2: The Power of One [VIZ]
Release Date: February 16, 2016
Run Time: 80 min
Price:

bcMAnlM.jpg

l2iarr8.jpg

Pokemon The Movie 3: Spell of the Unknown [VIZ]
Release Date: February 16, 2016
Run Time: 90 min
Price:

Blu-ray
Pokémon: The Movies 1-3 Blu-ray collection [VIZ]
Release Date: February 9, 2016
Run Time: 255 min
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Amazon.com: $39.99

2jyBPOO.jpg

fnL38M4.jpg

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Collection 1 Blu-ray
V0QnUpq.jpg

-----
Japan
Blu-ray
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 - Stardust Memory
Release Date: January 29, 2016
Run Time: 380 min
Audio: Japanese TrueHD (5.1ch)
Subtitles:
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs (50GB))
Price:
BD @ Amazon.co.jp: ¥ 19,980

UPhvId1.jpg

Pff6IE1.jpg

mfeylhG.jpg

HxasJTR.jpg

9T8aeP7.jpg

javac

Am I a bad person for contemplating getting the Pokemon BD for the first film? Fuck it if it doesn't come with Pikachu's Vacation however!

javac

Wow, Pikachu's Vacation was 20 minutes, I bet my Mom was bored out of her fucking mind when she took me to see Pokemon in the cinema. Good times. 16 years ago...

Wow, Pikachu's Vacation was 20 minutes, I bet my Mom was bored out of her fucking mind when she took me to see Pokemon in the cinema. Good times. 16 years ago...

My parents went with my brothers and I to see it.

I distinctly remember my parents saying they didn't understand any of it.

Puruzi

Banned
I had a VHS for Pokemon The First Movie.

My mom recorded an infomercial for Bowflex over it right after Ash turned to stone.

was livid, still kinda am

pbayne

Am I a bad person for contemplating getting the Pokemon BD for the first film? Fuck it if it doesn't come with Pikachu's Vacation however!

Jesus i went like 12 times to the cinema to see that movie.

Now all I remember about it: How come Ash getting hit by Mewtwo/Mew turns him to stone instead of killing him?

So no you're not a bad person but prepare for your nostalgia to get a kick in the teeth.

javac

My parents went with my brothers and I to see it.

I distinctly remember my parents saying they didn't understand any of it.
My Mom probably thought the same, but I still treasure that day and remember it clearly. I don't spend much time with my Mom so it's one of those memories that sticks out. Maybe that's sad. One of many memories no doubt not the only one :p She took time out of her day to take me to watch this dumb ass movie to make me happy.

I had a VHS for Pokemon The First Movie.

My mom recorded an infomercial for Bowflex over it right after Ash turned to stone.

was livid, still kinda am

Wow. This hit me on a philosophical level.

Jesus i went like 12 times to the cinema to see that movie.

So no you're not a bad person but prepare for your nostalgia to get a kick in the teeth.
That's a lot of times :0 I still think MewTwo is the GOAT but Armored MewTwo gets no representation these days. The greatest tragedy.

Generate

Banned

Not even large hats.

Tiny hats

Tiny fucking hats

TINY

FUCKING

HATS

The little hats are cute. What is wrong with a little hat?

From the New World Episode 7
d6d05509f5f11f616e4463c0e6a8ecbc7844dda9_hq.gif

Awww, yeah, everyone's wins.

Well...save for that one rat colony...they actually lost hard.

This show is oddly paced. The arc just flew by, and while I enjoyed it, I find myself wondering where this show is going.

The one with the flip open VHS box? I had that one.

I have one too, there's also some extra small eposode in which Charizard gets stuck in a tree and the other Pokémon have to save him.

I'll hazard a guess and say that what this is leading to is
Jiro discovering through Claude what he really is and how his "father" and "lover" have been using him as an experiment. I think he might be a clone or derivative of Claude who might have been a fellow researching with the team before leaving them. In the end, Claude will be deemed "evil" by society and be put down, but not before he entrusts Jiro with his mission and makes him take on the mantle of exposing the truth and fighting from the shadows. He might also share the true nature of his power with Jiro, which would explain why he can control his fire powers much better in the future.

My guess would be that
both Jiro and Claude have monsters put inside them, I think Jiro said it himself while Claude also has something wierd going on with those multiple eyes.

Whatever it is, this is definitely going to be the reason why Jiro is leaving, just look at their arms and you can see a big relation between the two:

http://i.imgur.com/zqYlxmi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CBGZO5J.jpg

There's also the picture at the end of the last episode of course.

The part that's weird to me is as to why Kikko already knew who Claude was, I don't think we ever saw him in the story, you'd figure that they'd at least include a scene with Kikko talking about it.

Maybe Kikko only recognized the "kaiju" inside of Claude because it's actually one of the demons from her realm?

All of that is wild speculation though, it's cool that a show at least has that going for it. ConRevo is definitely a very dense show with a lot of different things that are going on, like everyone having a different moral compass. I wonder if it'll improve when we get further in the story. While I thought it was decent from the get-go I haven't been super impressed by the show yet, I did really like this last episode though.

better/worse than k-onmovie?

The K-On movie is structurally more coherent. The pacing of Love Live was all over the place with the characters just moving between locations without much how or why. Houkago tea time felt like they were actually exploring London while μ's feels like they're just jumping from location to location in New York.

I was watching it with my brother and he compared it to High School Musical. It's a teen's unrealistic fantasy of what it would be like to be a famous idol and a romanticized ideal of high school life. K-On is more of a grounded vacation between friends while Love Live is like a fantastical dream of being a famous idol.

That's not to say the movie isn't fun. The musical interludes throughout the film make it feel like a musical, my favorite being the 3rd years. The backgrounds of NY are gorgeous, rivaling K-On's beautiful shots of London. The character interaction are great with Love Live's signature over the top facial expressions and reaction noises that the characters make. There are some pretty trippy dream sequences that fuel my theory that the entirety of Love Live is Honoka's coma fantasy. Overall I'd say that K-On is a more carefully crafted movie but Love Live is fun in its own way.

Early morning travel sucks, almost time to fire up some new series

Early morning travel is even worse when someone else is doing it in your car because they got a flat. :l When people borrow my car this early, it's basically a wake up for me since I get so anxious over it. I'm just glad no one ever wants to borrow my bike.

DiGiKerot

THE iDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS 1-6 - Now, normally I wait until I finish a series before I really comment on it, but I need to get some things off my chest.

There's a few things so far that I take umbrage with. For one, Producer-san. I dunno, maybe they thought the producer from the first show was too likable and so they felt they needed to model this new guy after the people who play Idolm@ster games; socially awkward, unkempt hair, and cold soulless eyes. Then, the idols themselves are all lazy tropes. The cat girl? Its been done so much better in other idol shows. Then you got the gothic lolita one, the shy one, the fat one. And the push that the three main girls are getting seem totally undeserved. Rin didn't even want to be an idol, and then Mio is ungrateful that her debut wasn't some big spectacle. I dunno, maybe I've been spoiled by the likes of Wake Up, Girls! where that shit is raw, its real, and it isn't candy and puppy dogs.

If you are talking about Rin from Love Live as the character reference point there, than I don't know man. Rin's cat-like tendencies are an entirely superficial character trait, whereas half the point with Miku is that she puts an awful lot of effort into maintaining a business persona which is kind of superficial and dumb - you aren't really being expected to buy it in the same way as with Rin in Love Live. As much as it's something she also tries to identify as, Miku's cat-thing is the kind of constructed public identity that idols are expected to maintain taken to an exaggerated degree. There's actually a pains and a context to explaining why she does cat-things within the context of the show, which is why it's alright for that to be a thing.

As for Ranko, well, she did technically exist before, say, Yurika from Aikatsu or most of the other chuuni-idols. Bear in mind that most of these characters are pulled from a mobile game that launched back in 2011 - this is after Love Live existed, but before things were entirely codified there. This is before Aikatsu as well. This is about mid-way through the running of the previous iM@S TV anime, before the whole cartoon-idol craze got really nuts.

As for the characters in generally being lazy archetypes, yeah, can't really argue with that. They do some interesting things with a few of them within the context of the show itself, but for the most part, these are mobile game characters - they have to be simple enough so that someone can understand the appeal of at least one of them within the onboarding process of a mobile game, as that's about how long you have to catch someones attention.

Also, what's the deal with the energy drinks? It seems like they've suspiciously drawn attention to them. Like its foreshadowing something. Is one of the girls going to pound like 6 energy drinks then go out on stage and have a heart attack or something?

It's a joke referencing a game item for folks who've played it, and nothing more.

Cornbread78

Early morning travel is even worse when someone else is doing it in your car because they got a flat. :l When people borrow my car this early, it's basically a wake up for me since I get so anxious over it. I'm just glad no one ever wants to borrow my bike.

At least it's only 3 hrs on a train. I just hope I can fall asleep for a bit. Three hours last night wasn't enough, lol.

I say kinda because Mario has never stooped so low as Gundam has at some points, but you get the idea.

Understood. In that case I'll be honest and say this is my first ahaha. It's turning out to be one of my favourite shows. Build Fighters, from what I watched of it, is completely different from it. I hear I shouldn't approach the sequels though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom