• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum/City Remaster (Rumor)

My question is... when is this going to end? Remasters need to die a horrible death.

Why? Movies get rereleased all the time and can be played on multiple devices despite the age of the movie. Music is almost always playable because you can find it on CD, MP3, LP, whatever.

Games don't have that luxury. Most games are made for one system and if thay system dies then no one can play that game. Game remasters are a way to preserve gaming history.

BRING ME MORE, I SAY!

Delighted to hear it, but I'll add my voice to the chorus of people saying Origins ought to be included. It's a very good game, if less polished in some ways than the other two, and certainly merits inclusion (it's also easily the best written game in the series so far).

Raitaro

Crap, I knew I should have waited even longer with playing through City to get it out of my backlog finally! I just beat it a month or two ago! This has to be my one big personal gripe with remasters and re-releases: never being sure anymore when it is the right/best time to buy a game, let alone to start playing it.

Apart from that caveat, I can't say I really am bummed about remasters of games like these as long as they don't limit new games from being made, which in this case isn't happening (save from the delay?).

Seeing as new games are coming less frequently and quickly as I'd want, this way at least we have something to play on our new consoles.

(But again: if there is actual factual evidence that it is these remasters that are the cause for less new games to be made instead of them being be a harmless remedy to help fill an ailing release schedule, then they have to stop obviously.)

On a sidenote, can I have these remasters as well please (yes, I know I'm part of the problem)?:
Uncharted trilogy
Mass Effect trilogy
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Red Dead Redemption
Kid Icarus: Uprising (on Wii U)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (on Wii U)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Super Mario Sunshine
Outrun 2006 (full game, not just the SP content - heck, why not make Outrun 2016?)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My question is... when is this going to end? Remasters need to die a horrible death.
Hey more people get to play them and keep them relevant for longer as the game doesn't die with the console they're on, and they drop in price quickly too so they turn into bargains.
Soon enough they'll be the price of the last gen versions so it's a good deal really.

I wish this thread stuck to the discussion of this particular remaster, or the merits (or lack thereof) of the games contained in the remaster, or what people would like to see improved/added in the remaster, as opposed to every remaster announcement thread getting sabotaged with people whining about "generation of remasters" etc. Oh well, a man can dream... :)

Now that I remember, the PS3 version of the Asylum GotY had a few challenges with a playable Joker. [Asylum spoilers]
Regular Joker, not Titan-enhanced Joker
. Something like that would be cool. Maybe throw in a couple of challenges where even Harley Quinn is playable. City was super awesome with Catwoman, Robin, and Nightwing all being playable in the challenge maps, in addition to Batman. [And even better because if I recall correctly, only completion with Batman counted towards the 100%, so the rest of the crew was there for pure fun].

I thought Origins was a good game :/.

Anyhoo dunno if I want this. I'll get a new PC soon and apparently the ports are pretty good. Might do the same with AK but Sony has those damn exclusive deals zzz.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is what happens when you outsource a Triple A game. You get to see whose the better developer overall. IMO Origins didn't necessary shatter expectations. Rocksteady has kept the series where it is at. I'm fine with this to be honest. I think it's just natural to think they didn't add Origins. It's sort of Rocksteady's series anyway.

Banned
Hmm, unless it's like tomb raider where the higher quality assets never make it to PC, I'll be skipping this.

I really don't understand why people are getting so upset over remasters. It's not like a new game isn't coming out or you're forced to buy these, so what's the problem again?

rivalchild

Neo Member
They really don't. Not everyone has played every game and getting some of these in proper resolutions and frame rates is great.

gSF43Uj.jpg

jacobeid

Banned
Glad for those who haven't played them but I played these games 3-4 times each which I rarely do and definitely don't need to play them again after beating the PC versions.

Most of the remasters I'd want on new consoles haven't been announced yet. Of course haha.
MGS: Revengeance Pls

benjammin

A remaster that ignores the best game of the trilogy? And the one game that could actually use the remaster to fix some of the bugs? Yea, I'll pass.

ironcreed

Banned
I originally beat Asylum and City on PS3 and I also still own City on the 360. I am more than happy with it there. No thanks.

It's nice to see all the Origins love in this thread. Initial impressions I got from reading around online when the game was released was that the game wasn't great, especially coming after City. [I wouldn't fault it for that though; City is a nearly flawless game].

Doing an Arkham marathon on PC currently, so Origins is waiting for be. Excited to play it soon!

hlhbk

It doesn't include the game that had the best Batman, Joker, and Bane plus the best story in the series? Why even release it?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It doesn't include the game that had the best Batman, Joker, and Bane plus the best story in the series? Why even release it?

Ahh, I thought I was alone in thinking that. All I've ever read were negative impressions on Origin, but this thread has been a pleasant surprise.

mtodavk

Why do we need this? Who was asking for this?

It just seems like so much development staff and time is being wasted, or not used to its/their full potential.

edit: I haven't played origins, but this thread might be the motivation I need.

these are games i'm interested in, or still havent finished, i work 60 hours a week, so i really don't do more then 10 hours a week for gaming, so i have plenty of great games to play that fit my taste that i have yet to finish or play.

PS4 Dragon Age: Inquisition
PS4 Resident Evil HD Remaster
PS4 Helldivers
PS4 Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
PS4 Madden NFL 15
PS4 DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition
PS4 Wolfenstein: The New Order
PS4 inFamous: Second Son
PS4 Alien: Isolation
PS4 Far Cry 4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

I wish origins was in there.

They had the best costumes also electro fists. Also not so crazy riddler.

I hope they just rip those costumes out of city. I wanna play as thomas wayne

fun fact, city has electric fists first in the Wii U version and they took that concept and used it in origins, most likely because the code was there to use.

Re: Batman and Joker. What do you mean "best?" Best lines? Best situational rivalry? Because if it's best "voice acting" Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill fans may (probably will) disagree.

EDIT: I should mention I haven't played Origins yet, so any impressions are based on reading around online. I should hand over my Batman fan card right now :-/

thelastword

Banned
A remaster that ignores the best game of the trilogy? And the one game that could actually use the remaster to fix some of the bugs? Yea, I'll pass.
Not that I put too much faith in metacritic, but origins is worse by at least 20pts, I think it should be included too, but the first two are rocksteady games and perhaps it's their initiative.

Why? Movies get rereleased all the time and can be played on multiple devices despite the age of the movie. Music is almost always playable because you can find it on CD, MP3, LP, whatever.

Games don't have that luxury. Most games are made for one system and if thay system dies then no one can play that game. Game remasters are a way to preserve gaming history.

BRING ME MORE, I SAY!

Or you can just port everything to PC, which seems to be the trend going forward.

Pillville

How about no. Whinning about games you're not interested in is what needs to die.

People aren't whining about the games. They are complaining about the remaster trend in general, for many reasons.
I didn't just spend a lot of money on 2 new consoles and accessories to re-buy the last gen games I already own. It really doesn't help that a lot of next-gen games have been delayed, poorly received, or just broken.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just seen GOW3R uk price, seriously I don't mind Remasters but £49 is taking the piss, and some thought $39 was too much uh!

I don't mind the remaster trend but the exclusion of origins is so dumb

Remasters should go all out but many of them are going about it in such a lazy way. This isn't as bad as God of war though

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How the hell can you be "done with. . ." remasters if you haven't played any of them. I played TLoU. Of the other games I had no interest and their existence didn't trouble me.

People need to stop pretending that because these games are being released that somehow NOTHING ELSE is being worked on.

Top Bottom