• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum/City Remaster (Rumor)

Mr Rivuz

Origins was the only one that needed a remaster due to the low framerate it had on consoles, and it's the only one missing. Too bad.

Iceternal

Crap, I knew I should have waited even longer with playing through City to get it out of my backlog finally! I just beat it a month or two ago! This has to be my one big personal gripe with remasters and re-releases: never being sure anymore when it is the right/best time to buy a game, let alone to start playing it.

Apart from that caveat, I can't say I really am bummed about remasters of games like these as long as they don't limit new games from being made, which in this case isn't happening (save from the delay?).

Seeing as new games are coming less frequently and quickly as I'd want, this way at least we have something to play on our new consoles.

(But again: if there is actual factual evidence that it is these remasters that are the cause for less new games to be made instead of them being be a harmless remedy to help fill an ailing release schedule, then they have to stop obviously.)

On a sidenote, can I have these remasters as well please (yes, I know I'm part of the problem)?:
Uncharted trilogy
Mass Effect trilogy
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Red Dead Redemption
Kid Icarus: Uprising (on Wii U)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (on Wii U)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Super Mario Sunshine
Outrun 2006 (full game, not just the SP content - heck, why not make Outrun 2016?)

This

I've got nothing against remasters, but they're just picking the wrong games to remasters.

Where's FFXII ?

Skyward Sword ?

Xenoblade chronicles ?

RDR ?

Dragon's Dogma ?

Witcher 2 ( I get that a Witcher 1 remaster ain't possible on consoles) ?

Arkham games weren't held back by their performance .... neither was GOW3

Now if they added content and improved the graphics instead of only adding 1080p/"targeting" 60 fps... then it would be valuable ...

What would you like them to work on instead, the new games they're also working on?

I think he was being sarcastic.

People say this sarcastically, but yes, resources being used to make remasters could be used to make more optimized current-gen original titles, putting more content in those titles, bug-testing those titles, or making those titles come out faster.

It can also be argued that money and time spent by current gen gamers replaying old games at damn near full price actively harms the potential of new IP.

hemo memo

Gold Member
its not and I wish people would stop being so negative towards remasters. They fund new games and gives the series a chance to have a newer audience.

So we're paying their bills now?

Remaster an old game (OoT,MM) or a remaster with significant improvement (GTAV)

kcp12304

Banned
The problem isn't remasters.

People should be honest that what they are upset about are the lack of notable games coming out for the boxes they paid 350+ dollars for.

noomi

Ugh... alright.

Well normally I would be excited for this, but I already own all the PC games.

I wonder if this will be like to tomb raider remaster where it actually did add some new stuff...

DevilFox

Please stop...
I can accept Remasters of exclusive games.. but these games are available everywhere, it's not like it's hard to play them. Not even expensive, especially on STEAM and guess what, they're already "Remastered" there!

Opportunity cost adds more nuance to it. If that one bag of peanuts could instead make three bags of peanuts by being spent on something else, it wasn't worth it.

and what would the produce with so little money that could net them such a solid return, though? there is little risk involved and plenty to gain.

last time they tried to do something outside the box we got Blackgate, and while i really liked that for what it was I'd bet that this remaster is going to bring in more money with fewer headaches.

hlhbk

Re: Batman and Joker. What do you mean "best?" Best lines? Best situational rivalry? Because if it's best "voice acting" Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill fans may (probably will) disagree.

EDIT: I should mention I haven't played Origins yet, so any impressions are based on reading around online. I should hand over my Batman fan card right now :-/

It was the best representation of the characters both individually and their relationship to each other outside of the comic.

Paganmoon

People say this sarcastically, but yes, resources being used to make remasters could be used to make more optimized current-gen original titles, putting more content in those titles, bug-testing those titles, or making those titles come out faster.

It can also be argued that money and time spent by current gen gamers replaying old games at damn near full price actively harms the potential of new IP.

Throwing more devs at a game doesn't automatically mean better optimized game, case in point, AC: Unity.

It's also not like remasters require that the company handling it spend all their workforce on it, for years on end. It's low cost, and not so timeconsuming, and there is a market for it.

I'm still shocked they left out Origins. What a shit deal, that game is fucking great.

Why are people saying this?

The Arkham Trilogy made by Rocksteady is Arkham asylum, Arkham City and the upcoming Arkham knight.

Arkham Origins is made by Warner Bros. Games Montréal and was different tonally.

Krakn3Dfx

Have these on the PC already, so no go for me, but I can't fault them, both excellent games that deserve to show up on current gen for those who haven't played them yet.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't mind platform-exclusive remasters like say, Halo or the rumored Beyond port. I don't really understand stuff like this though.

Chuck

Still without luck
Stop with the same fucking comments every thread.

You don't like remasters, don't buy them.

If enough people are in your boat, companies will stop releasing them.

Until then, shut up, let people who love the games so much they want to replay a higher quality version, or those who never got to play it a first time decide with their wallets.

The same thing you should be doing.

If it's not affecting the release of new games (and in most cases, it helps fund them) then it's not hurting anyone.
Nah we'll post what we want. :)

jelly

I suppose a 1080p, 60fps remaster would be neat for consoles but everyone and their dog must have played the Arkham games on last gen or on PC were I doubt the remaster will be much beyond if at all. I guess having them all there on current platforms is nice to have but no Origins, that should have been easy enough to include. Ah well, you aren't forced to buy it. Roll on Arkham Knight.

RDreamer

I don't mind platform-exclusive remasters like say, Halo or the rumored Beyond port. I don't really understand stuff like this though.

Please stop...
I can accept Remasters of exclusive games.. but these games are available everywhere, it's not like it's hard to play them. Not even expensive, especially on STEAM and guess what, they're already "Remastered" there!

Why in the world does not being exclusive make it not ok to exist? This is the silliest opinion...

monlo

ride that gravy train to bank town.
Why are we remastering something that doesn't need remastering? Oh right, because people buy shit over and over and over and over and over without realizing

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Real bummer Arkham Origins isn't included but I'm still grabbing this.

People should be honest that what they are upset about are the lack of notable games coming out for the boxes they paid 350+ dollars for.

There IS a brand new, current gen exclusive Arkham game coming out in 3 months. In fact, a good portion of these remasters seem to be leading up to new game announcements. I totally understand being indifferent to them but legitimately upset? Seems a little odd. Just don't buy it and move on with your day.

BigDug13

Aren't we assuming that this job wasn't outsourced? Even Halo MCC was completely outsourced.

These projects aren't taking away from current projects because they are usually not being made by the original devs.

Ascenion

I could maybe see myself buying this if it had origins as I've never played that, but it doesn't belong so I can understand the exclusion.

styl3s

My question is... when is this going to end? Remasters need to die a horrible death.
My question is.. Why do you care? They sell well and a lot of us enjoying getting better versions of great games.

Not everyone has a high end PC, not everyone owned a ps3/360 and some of us like replaying games but don't want to drag out a ps3/360 to play the game or maybe sold our ps3/360 towards our x1/ps4 and want to play it but can't because lack of BC.+

ride that gravy train to bank town.
Why are we remastering something that doesn't need remastering? Oh right, because people buy shit over and over and over and over and over without realizing
Why doesn't it need to be remastered? Because you don't want it? Sound logic bro.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why in the world does not being exclusive make it not ok to exist? This is the silliest opinion...

With games like Halo, TLOU, etc, their last-gen homes were the only places to play those titles. It's nice to buy them on a next-gen system all dolled up. Arkham Asylum and City have been out for several years on all platforms, including PC. They can both be had for dirt cheap (pretty sure they've both been in Humble Bundles) and they aren't technologically demanding at all.

I mean yeah, there's obviously a market for this stuff but it's a weird choice of remastering for me.

But they aren't remastering the superior Origins? Lame.

Remember guys, you all have both of these free on PS+ already.

I also owned TLOU and GTAV last gen as well. If people may just want to play an improved version.

These projects seem to be given to smaller devs to cut their teeth on stand alone project instead of being a cog in a larger project.

RDR ?

Dragon's Dogma ?

Now if they added content and improved the graphics instead of only adding 1080p/"targeting" 60 fps... then it would be valuable ...

I actually...... really wanted a remaster of those two.

I disagree. I have a backlog of old AND current gen games. I like remasters of only a select few favorite games.

My question is.. Why do you care? They sell well and a lot of us enjoying getting better versions of great games.

Not everyone has a high end PC, not everyone owned a ps3/360 and some of us like replaying games but don't want to drag out a ps3/360 to play the game or maybe sold our ps3/360 towards our x1/ps4 and want to play it but can't because lack of BC.

One of the real reasons this is catching on.

Tomb raider definitive edition
Metro redux
Sleeping dogs de
Gta v
Halo mcc
Saints row IV
God of war 3 remastered
Last of us remastered
Dmc definitive edition
Dmc 4 special edition
Batman Arkham duology remastered

Am I missing anything?

Megatron

I wouldn't mind replaying Asylum down the road. Will definitely get this eventually, but probably not at launch.

megalowho

With exclusives, at least the sentiment of players that missed out the first time around makes sense - not everyone buys every console. When it's games that have been released on every platform and are still readily available on the cheap, I kind of scratch my head at wondering who exactly missed out the first time around that didn't want to play/pay for those games to begin with.

They really don't. Not everyone has played every game and getting some of these in proper resolutions and frame rates is great.

Agreed. I don't understand the hate. I love seeing stuff get updated.

That being said- the PC versions of these are wonderful, I wonder if there will be much of a difference.

RDreamer

My question is... when is this going to end? Remasters need to die a horrible death.

When the world starts revolving around you...

Seriously the complaints are getting stupid. If you don't want to play these, then don't. Why does their existence bother you? Even if I'm not intending to play these particular games for a while it's nice knowing if I do, I can play a superior version rather than having to drag out my old console and hook it up and play something not as good. It's also not like these remasters are going to sit at $40 or $60 or whatever forever. The nice part is eventually you'll be able to pick up some of the best games in existence in better versions packed together for like $10 bucks!

With exclusives, at least the sentiment of players that missed out the first time around makes sense - not everyone buys every console. When it's games that have been released on every platform and are still readily available on the cheap, I kind of scratch my head at wondering who exactly missed out the first time around that didn't want to play/pay for those games to begin with.

Not everyone is a hardcore game enthusiast. Not everyone played every game. Person all I missed the Borderlands series. Sure I could pick up the old versions for cheap, but hey now some better versions are coming out with all the Dlc and everything. That's nice that I have a choice of what I want to play and do with my money. A remaster doesn't erase the old one from existing...

And on the other side, I loved the Mass Effect series last gen. I loved it so much I'd love to get a higher resolution remaster with everything in one place.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Then don't buy the damned remaster! It really is as simple as that. Jesus Christ it gets maddening hearing the same people complaining about remasters whenever a new one is announced.

Here's the rub: not everybody buys every game ever. Not everybody buys every console ever. Some people miss games over the span of a console generation because there are literally THOUSANDS of games released across multiple platforms.

Now, I've already played both Asylum and City, so I may pass on this, although it might be cool to have the Arkham Trilogy from Rocksteady all on one platform.

I mean, it's not like we aren't getting a new Batman game made for next gen this year. Christ. I hate to complain, but it gets really tiring having to sift through the same comments each time a new remaster is revealed.

xrnzaaas

Metro redux
Sleeping dogs de
Gta v
Halo mcc
Saints row IV
God of war 3 remastered
Last of us remastered
Dmc definitive edition
Dmc 4 special edition

Am I missing anything?

Injustice
Diablo III
Borderlands Handsome Collection
Resident Evil

(I only mentioned released games or about to be released like Borderlands)

Metro redux
Sleeping dogs de
Gta v
Halo mcc
Saints row IV
God of war 3 remastered
Last of us remastered
Dmc definitive edition
Dmc 4 special edition

Am I missing anything?
Borderlands hansome jack collection

Why are people saying this?

The Arkham Trilogy made by Rocksteady is Arkham asylum, Arkham City and the upcoming Arkham knight.

Arkham Origins is made by Warner Bros. Games Montréal and was different tonally.

Its an Arkham game built on the foundations of Rocksteady's games and published/funded by the same house.
Writting out one of the best entries as if it never belonged is utter bollocks
Batman-Arkham-Collection-PS3-15539117-7.jpg

Top Bottom