• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum/City Remaster (Rumor)

This industry needs another crash. With the way its getting flooded with cash grab remasters, incomplete AAA games and low quality downloadables I can see it hitting a breaking point eventually.

Jarrod38

This is one remaster edition I would not mind. Anyways we are we going to get our first remaster of a remaster edition?

The love for Origins is insane to me. It was an obvious cash-grab with a mediocre story that did little to nothing to improve on the series. As someone that truly hated that game, I don't mind its omission.

It had the best story of all the games. It's not even debatable.

Quotient

The reason we see remasters is due to the high-cost and risk involved in creating AAA/blockbuster games. We saw the results of that last-generation with sequels and this generation we are seeing it with an increase in remasters. The batman remasters make business sense as they probably want to cash in on Arkham Knight's release in a few months, and in most cases these remasters are farmed-off to smaller studios, and as such aren't really impacting the resources of the original creators.

I enjoyed Arkham Asylum & City, and if the remasters are done well, i may pick them up down the road.

Why are people so upset about this? Even if this turns out to be true, you're still getting a new Arkham game and you'll be getting it months before these remasters come out.

This impacts absolutely nothing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So its bullshit if someone who hasn’t played the game (And has a PS3 or 360) would rather play it on their current console that has a much faster UI that allows them to stop and go back into the game whenever they want, allow them to record and share gameplay footage with ease, all while having the best quality version of the game?

Seriously, its getting to the point where bitching about remasters should be a banable offense because it NEVER comes from a place of logic or consideration for others but instead comes from a place of selfishness and assumptions about how games development, resource management, return of investment and gaining interest in a franchise for future titles actually works.

Post of the year, right here. I wish this very much.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why are people so upset about this? Even if this turns out to be true, you're still getting a new Arkham game and you'll be getting it months before these remasters come out.

This impacts absolutely nothing.

People are frustrated because their expensive consoles are getting more remasters than original games.

Nothing unreasonable about it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They are both 10/10's so I don't see the problem in being offered the ultimate versions of them.

I don't really care that much about Origins not being part of it, Rocksteady have made it pretty clear that they don't consider it a part of the series. Best story of the series though, a solid 8/10 IMO.

monlo

Why doesn't it need to be remastered? Because you don't want it? Sound logic bro.

I didn't mean to sound to so high-horse, but hell, the games literally run using current engine assets, physx, and gpu driver software. What could they possibly enhance worth another $60 (I'm assuming the price point here)

Aerocia

This is exactly why I sold off the majority of my PS3 collection. :p Why hold onto them when I know I can play the enhanced versions down the line if I ever feel the itch to? I assume all the most highly-acclaimed games of last gen will get "remastered."

KiteGr

What about orinins.
I didnt buy it just so i can get an eventual complete/remastered exition.
Now you tell me it's the only one missing?!

People are frustrated because their expensive consoles are getting more remasters than original games.

Does someone really need to get a list together of new games vs remasters, because i think you would look totally foolish if they did!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Except for the fact that there are MORE new games than remasters.

Is asking people to properly count too much?

StillEdge

I wonder if all these studios realized everyone else is working on remasters and didn't want to look foolish at e3 last year/this year so everyone is just randomly announcing theirs "alright it's been about a week since God of War was announced I think we're safe" I'll probably just stick to Arkham Knight though.

DevilFox

Why in the world does not being exclusive make it not ok to exist? This is the silliest opinion...

As I said back when Tomb Raider Definitive Edition was announced: first, because the "remastered" ( = graphics update) version of the game already exists, on PC, and it's cheap. It's not like TLOU, the game could not be found anywhere outside of PS3 and the Remastered version was going to be the best version available. This is not true for multiplatform games because the best version remains the one on PC, already released years ago, therefore this value is taken away. Second, there's a difference between a game released on a single platform and one released on all of them, which is the number of people who already played the game. Yes, there's always someone who didn't, this is indeed the only value of these remasters, and what can I say.. good for them? By this logic we could remasters the entire 7th gen, really.

I understand all points of view, and respect them, but I think this is going too far. There should be a smarter way to offer these games on 8th gen consoles: PlayStation Now, a similar MS/Nintendo service, whatever. Maybe it's just too soon.

You do know that there are millions and millions of people out there who don't own a PC that can run this game but own a Xbox One and/or PS4, right? People who maybe haven't played these games or this is their first console and want to play them but can't afford a ps3/360 etc.

If you don't like them simply don't buy them but don't act like they serve no purpose because you don't don't even = .1% of the consumer base and you speak for even less of a %. A lot of people enjoy these remasters and a lot of people wouldn't be able to play awesome games like these without the remasters so why poo-poo them?

It's as if "gamers" need something to constantly bitch about.

Same here: good for them.

Brazil

Frustration apparently leads to hyperbole and misinformation.

Does someone really need to get a list together of new games vs remasters, because i think you would look totally foolish if they did!

Eh, I'm not frustrated. And I can't say I give a damn about all of this, actually. I've actually been playing FFX on my Vita and have DmC PS4 sealed next to my PC right now.

Still, count the number of remaster announcements versus the number of original game announcements we've had in the past week. If you don't understand where people's anger is coming from, well...

Kazuhira

It doesn't bother me at all tbh,it´s not like i´m forced to buy them again.
Good deal for my buddy,he always wanted to give the arkham games a try.

But those original games are still coming, and at a rate not unlike previous console generations.

Most of this backlash is based on the fact that people have played these games before, but the remasters aren't really for those people. They're reacting selfishly instead of looking at the big picture, as some have already stated ITT.

Loakum

Banned
I'm happy about all these remasters! They're great for first time buyers, and for those that would love to play classic games in upgraded graphics, resolution, and framerate. As long as folks will buy them (Like I'm definitely will) then they will keep making them. If some of you don't likey, then don't buyie. It's not like they're not releasing new games, because they're definitely still releasing new games. This is just another clever way developers can generate revenue, on these current gen consoles, since they're not backwards compatible, with the previous gen of games.

Brazil

But those original games are still coming, and at a rate not unlike previous console generations.

Most of this backlash is based on the fact that people have played these games before, but the remasters aren't really for those people. They're reacting selfishly instead of looking at the big picture, as some have already stated ITT.

I don't expect anyone to react to videogames in a way that's not selfish. It's great if they do, but hey.

RDreamer

I didn't mean to sound to so high-horse, but hell, the games literally run using current engine assets, physx, and gpu driver software. What could they possibly enhance worth another $60 (I'm assuming the price point here)

So... don't buy them for $60?

Once again, I don't get the point. These games looked and ran great. Why remasters? Especially for multiplat games that everyone had access to last gen anyway.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just give us a Souls Trilogy for PS4.

No, that's a terrible idea. FROM shouldn't remaster any of those games, as it will take resources away from new games being developed.

When's the Bloodborne embargo up again?

I'm fine with remasters. I like playing old games again, and don't really see a problem throwing some money at a new version of a game I like.
The problems are two-fold...

A) You get a crappy developer to port your game and it turns out worse than the original (Silent Hill/Saint's Row/Jak and Daxter Vita)
B) The market will get overflooded with them and then they will stop making them.

I don't have an issue with the concept, but who was asking for GoW 3 and the Arkham games?

h#shdem0n

I wonder if there was someone in some meeting somewhere discussing one of the first remasters from last gen. "This game is OLD! NO ONE'S GOING TO BUY THIS SHIT!"

How wrong that hypothetical person was.

While I'm not a huge fan of remasters personally, I know thats probably because I play most multiplats on PC so a current gen remaster doesn't really do anything for me. I can appreciate console gamers wanting to replay their favorite games from last gen with current visuals and performance. Its more fan service than anything, thats why I can't really be mad at the practice.

I can also appreciate that there will be some games people passed on, for whatever reason- couldn't afford it at the time, backlog, etc. Remasters work for those buyers as well. I took advantage of Metro Redux on PC because I somehow skipped those games, so it was great to visit them for the first time in their best forms.

I do think that remasters should not be priced at $60. They should be cheaper, I think an asking price of $40 is more appropriate. Metro Redux was 2 games for $50 I believe (I grabbed it for $16!), that seems fair to me. $60 for a remaster is pushing it in my eyes, and I think thats part of the reason you see people getting upset. Unless its a game like TLOU that came out at the end of the PS3's life, and was literally choked out by the PS3 performance wise and was BEGGING for a remaster, and was also one of the best games of last gen. Add in the DLC, and $60 starts to sound okay, although I still think remasters should be priced cheaper.

Overall I'm okay with it so long as its not taking away from new game releases, which at least in the Batman series' case it doesn't seem to be. It really depends on the game. Not every game deserves a remaster, so I don't want them to start remastering every game that sold decently well last gen. The market could become flooded with remasters.

A list of remasters versus new titles would prove that statement very untrue. The difference this time around from last gen, the 6th gen remasters came at the backend of the last generation when the ps360 libraries were already fleshed out (and contained more games in each collection), whereas the remasters for this gen are all happening at the front end, as well as not getting as many games included. For example, a game like God of War 3 remastered would moreso appeal to those who didn't have a ps3 last time, but then you'd have to wonder why they didn't (re)remaster 1 and 2 so that new playstation gamers could experience the entire story( and Ascension too, though opinions seem split on that one).

Not sure why Origins wasn't included, seeing as it never got a 'complete version' with DLC included.

Prologue

I'd buy it and hopefully it includes Origins. I haven't played any of them yet and held off as soon as Tomb Raider remastered was announced.

So its bullshit if someone who hasn’t played the game (And has a PS3 or 360) would rather play it on their current console that has a much faster UI that allows them to stop and go back into the game whenever they want, allow them to record and share gameplay footage with ease, all while having the best quality version of the game?

Seriously, its getting to the point where bitching about remasters should be a banable offense because it NEVER comes from a place of logic or consideration for others but instead comes from a place of selfishness and assumptions about how games development, resource management, return of investment and gaining interest in a franchise for future titles actually works.

So you're saying that anyone who complains about remasters should be banned because all people who do it are biased uneducated idiots who don't have any grounded reasons whatsoever.

The salt is so real with this one.

CookTrain

I wonder if there was someone in some meeting somewhere discussing one of the first remasters from last gen. "This game is OLD! NO ONE'S GOING TO BUY THIS SHIT!"

How wrong that hypothetical person was.

More like "This remake is CHEAP! We don't need a great deal of people to buy this!"

SykoTech

So Origins, the one I still need to play (and apparently the one that has a lot of bugs and could use a remaster), is left out.

*sigh*

I'll most likely pass. They'd have to pull a Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition to get me interested.

VLiberty

Completely agree about this, I'm not even interested in remasters mostly but I hate to see the way people complain about totally harmless things such as remasters.

They've announced Batman AC/AA HD. I've already played those. There's a sequel coming already. This doesn't harm me in any way but instead it's good for those who didn't have the chance to play the original versions.

We can talk about the exclusion of Origins (and the same goes for GOW 3 missing Ascension and Borderlands missing the first game) and that's a legit complaint, but the constant complaining about something that mostly doesn't harm the consumer and might only be a good thing, to me feels just like shitposting.

Eh, I'm not frustrated. And I can't say I give a damn about all of this, actually. I've actually been playing FFX on my Vita and have DmC PS4 sealed next to my PC right now.

Still, count the number of remaster announcements versus the number of original game announcements we've had in the past week. If you don't understand where people's anger is coming from, well...

If people are getting frustrated over the amount of game annoumcements in the span of a week...a whole week...they need to log off and go for a walk or something.

Corgi

Banned
Since both of these consoles are extremely powerful and contain nvidia Gpus, I would say it's extremely likely :p

this is what bums me out :(

I'm fine with remasters... but when they aren't even remotely as good looking as the pc version... something feels a bit itchy.

Top Bottom