• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City First Review - "One of the Best Games Ever Made"

Orayn

This, Dark Souls, and Skyward Sword are going to make the remainder of 2011 a very, very entertaining time.

Er7DZ.png

Jb

Yeah... Asylum didn't really live up to my expectations because of the rave reviews it got, so I think I'll try to get into City having read as little about it as possible.

I was at the gym this evening when an ad for Arkham City came on the big screen. Had to close my eyes and put fingers in my ears. People looked at me as if I should have been committed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Green Scar said:
But is it the Citizen Kane of videogames?

Actually, Ocarina of Time is the Citizen Kane of videogames.

Not because of similarities in storytelling quality or any silliness like that. God no.

But they had a similar impact and are often called the best of their respective mediums and hold up tremendously well given their age., Yet still, when you really get right down to it and examine the two of them to the best stuff that come out today, you find they're both a tad bit overrated and that they really have been surpassed more than several times by later works.

Riposte

ZealousD said:

Actually, saying ___ is the Citizen Kane of videogames is stupid as hell no matter what you want to fill the blank with.

Orayn

ZealousD said:

Not because of similarities in storytelling quality or any silliness like that. God no.

But they had a similar impact and are often called the best of their respective mediums and hold up tremendously well given their age., Yet still, when you really get right down to it and examine the two of them to the best stuff that come out today, you find they're both a tad bit overrated and that they really have been surpassed more than several times by later works.
Can we compare to a different medium and say that Ocarina was the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band of video games? That is, widely overrated but still one of the greatest we've ever seen.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Amir0x said:
The first reviews are largely useless, but I would like to know if they said how meaty the single player was. I mean, did they mention a general game length time?
Dunno about that review, but this is what Dax Ginn from Rocksteady said: "We’re talking a 25 hour main game here. Then, we’ve got at least 40 hours in side missions, while the challenge mode will take you who knows how long."

Developers usually exaggerate when it comes to game length, so I'm looking at a solid 15 hours or so for the main game, which is really good.

Amir0x

Banned
Meisadragon said:
This is what Dax Ginn from Rocksteady said: "We’re talking a 25 hour main game here. Then, we’ve got at least 40 hours in side missions, while the challenge mode will take you who knows how long."

Developers usually exaggerate when it comes to game length, so I'm looking at a solid 15 hours or so for the main game, which is really good.

40 hours in side missions? Wtf kind of side missions are there? lol

abundant

Amir0x said:
40 hours in side missions? Wtf kind of side missions are there? lol
I don't think he meant 40 hours of side missions, just that doing everything will take 40 hours. There are 12 side mission in the game.

UrbanRats

Playing through Batman AA, the open wolrd mechanic was exactly what i felt ws missing, so i'm happy about the change.
and also far better stealth mechanics.

(._.)

Banned
Got this game on preorder for $30 @ GMG. Isn't worth much more than that to me. This game wont be as good as this video game journalist is making it out to be.

snack

(._.) said:
Got this game on preorder for $30 @ GMG. Isn't worth much more than that to me. This game wont be as good as this video game journalist is making it out to be.
The game is not even out yet. Are you expecting less from Arkham City? :p

Vomiaouaf

jgminto said:
I'm not against DLC but why the fuck is that considered a positive note?

Because "first reviews" are most of the time not much more than a recap of the main bullet points that marketing people have in their spreadsheets. And "DLC" is usually at the top of them.

Derrick01 said:
Yeah this hurt a lot. Even if it's only a 2 week delay that's a painful extra 14 day wait and I won't have battlefield or anything else to make that wait easier.
This is why I decided to buy either Rage or Demon Souls to hold me over. Still trying to decode which.

Grecco

jgminto said:
It may be the best game ever, but is it Oscar-worthy?

EDIT:

When its free. See Burnout Paradise.

Mr_Zombie

entrement said:
I hated the demo to the first game. Was it a bad demo or something?
Yep, it was a bad demo. It was short, easy and with almost no exploration. While I enjoyed it, the full game (even the section portrayed in the demo, which was expanded in the full game) is so much better.

Derrick01

Banned
abundant said:
I don't think he meant 40 hours of side missions, just that doing everything will take 40 hours. There are 12 side mission in the game.

The riddler stuff also factors in to that 40 hours. There's something like 400 trophies this time as well as other riddler related things. Either way it looks like it's going to be three times as long as AA was so I can't complain.

EternalGamer said:
This is why I decided to buy either Rage or Demon Souls to hold me over. Still trying to decode which.

I would imagine dark souls will hold you longer. Rage is supposed to be 15-20 hours but it comes out in a few days, most of us will have finished it twice before Batman finally comes out lol

Tom Penny

Who care if it's the 1st review. If it's as good as the 1st it's a top 5 console game this gen. It was easily one of the best games.

jgminto said:
It may be the best game ever, but is it Oscar-worthy?

EDIT:

Because without it, the game would have had less content?

(._.)

Banned
snack said:
The game is not even out yet. Are you expecting less from Arkham City? :p
It will be better for sure. I'm not going to put it on a pedestal before it comes out though. It will probably be a really good game that has half the amount of content this guy is saying it has. Remember reviews don't mean much often times.

Orayn

Vire said:
I hate to tell you this but PC gaming review sites are a joke.
Do you mean to imply that console reviews don't involve inflated scores or greased palms? All evidence points to the contrary.

Not really impressed. Reviews are often wrong, especially the first ones.
Still, Arkham Asylum was extremely solid and I'm certainly going to buy this.

Vire

Orayn said:
Do you mean to imply that console reviews don't involve inflated scores or greased palms? All evidence points to the contrary.
No, but more often than not - regardless of first reviews, I never trust PC magazine scores.

There are no credible PC sites like there are for console, (Edge/GiantBomb)

MaddenNFL64

I fucking LOVED Arkham Asylum. So many fucking games. I will definitely play this sooner than later (who knows when though. Gotta budget all this shit!)

Loxley

Let the hyperbole begin!

I didn't fall for it when Uncharted 2 reviews started pouring in, and as much as I adore Arkham Asylum, I'm not falling for it now until I get my hands on it.

Shurs

Loxley said:
Let the hyperbole begin!

I didn't fall for it when Uncharted 2 reviews started pouring in, and as much as I adore Arkham Asylum, I'm not falling for it now until I get my hands on it.

Was Uncharted 2 so bad?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Riposte said:
Actually, saying ___ is the Citizen Kane of videogames is stupid as hell no matter what you want to fill the blank with.

If we're comparing content you're absolutely right.

But I think making comparisons based on industry impact really isn't so bad.

Himself

Forgive my ignorance, but it this truly an open-world game? As in repetitive side missions, boring point a to b traveling, clunky controls, the works? I just did the preorder through walmart so i get the first game and now I'm worried. Most open world games suck.

Dacon

Banned
Lol Batman gliding and using his grapple hook to gain speed and height is Supermanish flying?

Lolno.

This game is looking fantastic. I don't suppose there'll be a demo.

Dacon said:
Lol Batman gliding and using his grapple hook to gain speed and height is Supermanish flying?

Lolno.

This game is looking fantastic. I don't suppose there'll be a demo.
Maybe there will be one. The first one had a demo.

Dacon

Banned
Dyni Crippler said:
Maybe there will be one. The first one had a demo.

I know that's why I asked :p

More interested in a PC demo than console though, I'd love to see how great it looks with all of the extra features.

Top Bottom