• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Return to Arkham – PS3 vs. PS4 Arkham Asylum Graphics Comparison

We compare the graphics of the Batman Return to Arkham Remaster on PS4 with Original Arkham Asylum on PS3. Batman Return to Arkham is a remaster of Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City to bring those two games to current gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One. It improves the graphics of both games and includes all DLCs, Skins, Story Missions, Challenge Modes and native 1080p resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNsT6g9SEAw

RPGCrazied

I've been playing the PS4 for a few hours. And while I do notice the better graphics, the stuttering is really annoying to me. Specially since the game is locked at 30. No excuses, it should be smooth as butter.

Schlorgan

Gonna share this from the other thread:

dHdUne.gif

What is wrong with your face?!

Paz

WTF happened to the art direction and character faces? Gordon looks ridiculously bad, and the overall tone of the game is ruined.

Completely fucked the cinematics, Jesus... what an absolute mess. Even got rid of some lighting and fog effects which completely ruins the mood imo. Oh well.

The cutscenes look better in the original release, but you can't ignore the work elsewhere. It looks great.

If I was buying it, I'd miss the green tint though, it gives the game a unique atmosphere.

Gnilres

I think the cutscenes look worse but the gameplay looks much better.

Missed out on the Arkham games last gen, will probably buy this

Edit: WTF is wrong with Gordon??

Tagyhag

The games should be 60fps. It really adds to the combat.

I'm still just amazed they didn't port the PC version.

joebruin

WTF happened to the art direction and character faces? Gordon looks ridiculously bad, and the overall tone of the game is ruined.

i never liked the character model aesthetic in these games in the first place. pretty hit or miss.

Gonna share this from the other thread:

dHdUne.gif

What is wrong with your face?!

I feel like we should be comparing gameplay because that's what we're seeing for the vast majority of these games. I say this because maybe I'm COMPLETELY wrong but I feel like I read somewhere that the cutscenes in the remaster are now rendered in game using the in game models/lighting and this was not done previously. Am I wrong about this? If so completely disregard this comment! lol

What is it with Virtuos and remodelling faces?

Overall it looks better in some scenes, but the general art is ruined in even more places. And especially the joker. How can you ruin the most important character in the game?

Curious to see how the actualy performance is. Atleast it should hold a steady 30fps with no drops or stuttering.

At least the minor NPCs don't look like utter shit now.
yodc.png

I think this is starting to confirm my suspicion. The cutscenes look worse in the remasters because they're rendered in engine with the in game models, lighting, textures, etc. Having said that, in the actual gameplay comparisons the remasters looks dramatically better than the originals. An interesting trade off. BTW, sorry if this has been confirmed previously but does this include the Joker dlc for Asylum?

Ridley327

I think this is starting to confirm my suspicion. The cutscenes look worse in the remasters because they're rendered in engine with the in game models, lighting, textures, etc. Having said that, in the actual gameplay comparisons the remasters looks dramatically better than the originals. An interesting trade off. BTW, sorry if this has been confirmed previously but does this include the Joker dlc for Asylum?

Virtually every cutscene in AA was FMV, too, so they were able to throw a lot more fancy effects at them than what you could get in-game. I think AC will be a more interesting comparison, since the division between in-game and FMV cutscenes was more evenly balanced.

Looks like they goofed in the editing and got the cutscenes for PS3 and PS4 mixed up. Gotta keep your eye on that next time Candyland.

Joking aside it's kind of baffling how off the remastered cutscenes are, because the in-game segments looks damn impressive. Even the lighting and color palette of the PS4 gameplay - which are the consistently worst offenders in all of the remaster cutscene screengrabs - actually look faithful in style and tone to the original. Would've thought that would've been corrected by now.

edit:

At least the minor NPCs don't look like utter shit now.
yodc.png

What the hell is going on with this game.

Remastered Batman working those new fish lips.
Of the models, thank god they fixed the guards' faces; they never looked right, even when the game was first released.

Actual in game graphics are better on PS4, the biggest point of contentions is the cherry picked screen shot from the opening of the PS3 which isn't real time but prerendered with way more lighting and shadow effects.

PS3 version looks better.

It's just a prerendered video sequence. Seems like they tried to rerender with the current model and effects on the remaster.

Kinyou

I've been playing the PS4 for a few hours. And while I do notice the better graphics, the stuttering is really annoying to me. Specially since the game is locked at 30. No excuses, it should be smooth as butter.
That's sad to hear. Hope they patch it.

Please don't tell me this is this gen's SH HD collection.

Edit: Seriously, why did they need to make this game a UE4 game?

Did they not have the original assets?

cakely

Oh, so the cutscenes are rendered in engine in the PS4 version? And, out of engine in the PS3 version?

Because, wow, the PS3 cutscenes look better, there's no argument.

Ridley327

Oh, so the cutscenes are rendered in engine in the PS4 version? And, out of engine in the PS3 version?

Because, wow, the PS3 cutscenes look better, there's no argument.

Yeah, nearly every cutscene in AA was pre-recorded FMV. They cranked up the lighting effects and had more complex meshes for the facial animation.

Ridley327

They should have just ported the PC versions at 1080/60fps.

The problem are the cutscenes for AA, which I don't think exist in a higher fidelity than the 720p Bink videos, and I doubt that Rocksteady would have gone to the trouble to re-render them when this wasn't even their project to begin with.

There's a better case to be made for AC on that front, since Rocksteady did make 1080p versions of the FMV cutscenes specifically for that version.

Arials

I can definitely see it becoming a pattern after the same happened with Bioshock. Publishers don't think boosting resolution/framerate is enough for PS3->PS4 remasters so they "improve" the textures/lighting as well, but given the whole remaster is being done on a tight budget by a 3rd party dev the art design gets shat on and the game has a cheap look.

Top Bottom