• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Return to Arkham – PS3 vs. PS4 Arkham Asylum Graphics Comparison

strafer

I'd actually like to see that, put some much needed colour into the grayest game of all time.

Both AA and AC remasters look much better in gameplay. I wouldn't say this is terrible.

uh, there is a lot of color in that game. And no, dont fucking put more color in it.

I dont want the pukefest that is Arkham City.

Braag

Reminds me of the BioShock 1 & 2 remasters. Very inconsistent, some things look better and some worse.

eso76

Lost some character, but in a lot of places it looks a good deal better.

Characters always looked rather ugly anyway. Granted, there was at least some consistency and personality before, but eh.

Regginator

Looks like a good remaster except for the terrible hair and some questionable lightning (e.g. way too bright at times).

RPGCrazied

Is it really to much to ask for them to at least fix the framerate? I'm sure they already have washed their hands from this though.

SJRB

Gold Member
image.png

What happened to the moonlight effect in the remaster?

RocknRola

At first glance I'd say they replaced the cutscene models with the actual gameplay models, hence the massive differences in cutscenes but the overall improvement to everything in regular gameplay.

Schlorgan

Once you get outside with the light rain falling it looks fantastic.

Noticed that in the video. In the original AA it was raining at the beginning but had stopped by the time you got outside. The sky was pretty clear so you could see the moon. By the end of the game it was completely clear. Is the rain there the whole game? Did they add more clouds to justify it or did they just add it anyway?

This is such a weird thing.

As pointed out, the cutscenes look better on PS3, but the overall game looks better on PS4.

Interesting analysis going on in this thread as to why this may have happened.

So I think the move to replace all CG rendered cutscenes while divisive is smart in the long run. This avoids the DMC HD Collection situation where all the CG cutscenes in those games (namely DMC1), which all looked great at the time, look like stretched out ass now in the DMC HD Collection. Or there's the other option to have the CG cutscenes play with black bars around them which also looks bad. Also, I personally just always felt the AA CG cutscenes were awful because Gordon's and Batman's faces look weird. The AA CG cutscenes also didn't look anything like the actual game which is always jarring to me.

People's comments (including IGN's review) about the lighting conflicting with these games aesthetics is baffling to me. The remasters are noticeably darker for the most part and they haven't really added colors but rather they've touched up the visuals in a way that has resulted in colors standing out a little more I guess? I mean whatever. People are allowed to have their opinions, I'm just confused by this is all. To me personally, the only real issue with these remasters is that not only do they not run at 60 fps on the current hardware but they currently struggle to run at a solid 30 fps. Also, the lack of a PC release is a bummer.

Noticed that in the video. In the original AA it was raining at the beginning but had stopped by the time you got outside. The sky was pretty clear so you could see the moon. By the end of the game it was completely clear. Is the rain there the whole game? Did they add more clouds to justify it or did they just add it anyway?

Can't comment on the end but after several hours the rain is always there when you return outside. The sky is cloudy with occasional lightning but they still left some cloud break for the moon looming over you. There's a lot of great water puddles on the ground and batmans suit of course looks nice and slick when he gets wet.

Schlorgan

Can't comment on the end but after several hours the rain is always there when you return outside. The sky is cloudy with occasional lightning but they still left some cloud break for the moon looming over you. There's a lot of great water puddles on the ground and batmans suit of course looks nice and slick when he gets wet.

Seems like a weird change. Constant rain was Arkham Knight's thing.

So, I think I know what's causing the stuttering in AA. It's the cape physics. Specifically the Nvidia PhysX enabled cape. I say this because back in the day I played the Games for Windows version of AA on a 2009 Asus ROG gaming laptop and I had this EXACT stuttering issue with that version anytime the Nvidia PhysX cape physics were on.

So, I think I know what's causing the stuttering in AA. It's the cape physics. Specifically the Nvidia PhysX enabled cape. I say this because back in the day I played the Games for Windows version of AA on a 2009 Asus ROG gaming laptop and I had this EXACT stuttering issue with that version anytime the Nvidia PhysX cape physics were on.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the remaster, it's not literally the PC version ported with a vendor-specific GPU feature for pete's sake. Come on.

uh, there is a lot of color in that game. And no, dont fucking put more color in it.

I dont want the pukefest that is Arkham City.
One of the first things which struck me about Origins when I loaded it up after AC was how incredibly bland it was. A "lot" of colour? It's a giant slab of grey. It's the ugliest Batman by far.

RPGCrazied

So no word from virtuos about the performance issues? Typical. I might just triple dip and get the PC versions, I now have a more capable PC to max both games on it anyway.

The stuttering in Asylum is really bad.

So no word from virtuos about the performance issues? Typical. I might just triple dip and get the PC versions, I now have a more capable PC to max both games on it anyway.

FWIW City is still kind of wonky on PC. You can probably brute force it but it was not a great port.

RPGCrazied

The stuttering in Asylum is really bad.

FWIW City is still kind of wonky on PC. You can probably brute force it but it was not a great port.

Yeah, you'd think at 30fps we would get a silky framerate, nope, specially indoors it stutters like its on crack.

I tried City and while its not as bad as AA, it has a less smooth feel to it.

Tonky

I expected these to look better than Arkham Knight in some regards since they're built on UE4 and AK was UE3..they probably should've just stuck with AK's UE3 engine, it looks like working with UE4 messed them up.

Mad they couldn't get physx in the remaster, makes no sense.
Physx is a physics software library, many console games use it. What you're talking about is the extra-added Physx in games like AA - those are usually done with lots of help from Nvidia as they're good marketing tools for their GPU's, plus they're extremely GPU intensive. Just as you can't run games with Physx at 'high' settings AMD without cratering the framerate as it's not possible to run them on non-Nvidia GPU's, there are likely licensing issues even aside from the technical demands.

Blinck

They lost much of the art direction in the port unfortunately =\
I think I'd prefer the normal UE3 just with some improved textures, 60fps and AA

WTF is with his face is both versions? Dont remembering the PS3 version looking that bad.

Its crazy how much better AK Batman's face looks compared to those.
with both Asylum and City(to a lesser degree), Rocksteady just sticked with Unreal/gears proportion...or just didnt really have good artists. Both Origins and Knight look far better because of that.

Soltype

The consoles do use AMD hardware, that might have something to do with it.

Physx is a physics software library, many console games use it. What you're talking about is the extra-added Physx in games like AA - those are usually done with lots of help from Nvidia as they're good marketing tools for their GPU's, plus they're extremely GPU intensive. Just as you can't run games with Physx at 'high' settings AMD without cratering the framerate as it's not possible to run them on non-Nvidia GPU's, there are likely licensing issues even aside from the technical demands.

Forgot about that part, I guess it makes sense.Still a shame though.

Dominator

Playing a few more hours into Asylum tonight, and the stuttering is pretty bad. It seems to only happen when I run around. Walking and moving stealthily cause no stutter. Fighting is fine for me, but I just might not be able to tell in the moment. I'm not that susceptible to frame dips as some others, so it really needs to be noticeable for me to be aware of it.

Still, I'm not gonna stop playing and I think it looks quite good. Its nice to be playing this gem again.

Eh, another example of why WB is on the same "level" as EA and Ubisoft in terms of simply not caring. Too bad since I wouldn't have minded re-buying these games, but I'll just stick to the original versions.

J_Viper

Not sure if I want these.

I have a PC that can max out both, but the new environments in the remaster do look neat.

What happened to the moonlight effect in the remaster?

Return to Arkham |OT| Ever dance With the Devil in the

Except for the part where if you look at the back of the box of the remasters there's an Nvidia PhysX's logo...
Nvidia owns Physx, it's been used extensively in many games as a physics middleware library for years. So of course the Nvidia logo is on there when Physx is used by the game.

That does not mean however that the actual gpu-accelerated Physx Nvidia Geforce-specific code in the remasters was ported over from the PC version and is somehow bottlenecking the game because of Batman's cape for pete's sake. The Physx logo in a game does not automatically mean there's a special heightened mode for extra effects that Nvidia cards can take advantage of, the vast majority of Physx code runs on the CPU.

Physx as a physics software library runs on a suite of platforms. The consoles of course use a highly multithreaded variant, but they run on the CPU. Only on the PC with Nvidia cards can Physx currently utilize the GPU, and that's when you get those fancy GPU-Physx additions that even an overclocked i7 choke on without the GPU assistance (and they can cause a considerable hit on even powerful GPU's as well).

Top Bottom