• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Return to Arkham – PS3 vs. PS4 Arkham Asylum Graphics Comparison

In-game graphics look much better to me in the remasters, cutscenes look worse. My biggest gripe is the performance issues and the change to the outdoors in AA. I really liked the green hue and lack of rain, now it just looks like AK instead of its own aesthetic.

Edit: I take it back, I prefer the PC version over the PS4 version. I had only watched the PS3 vs PS4 video when I posted before.

Played couple of hours of Asylum on PS4 and I'm actually pretty happy with the collection so far. Hardly noticed any issues with the performance, couple of short stops while running but nothing distracting and the graphics look quite nice as well. Of course the collection could've been a lot better but I'm having great time with the Asylum so far at least.

VanWinkle

Gameplay looks SO much better from what I can tell, but the cutscenes are more iffy. There's definitely something off about the faces for a lot of the characters in the remastered version. EDIT: Ehh guess not, when it's being compared to PC version. PC version looked better in about 80% of the time, judging from the comparison videos. Disappointed. I wish we could have got the maxed out PC versions at 60fps.

I feel like a lot of PS4 versions of games available on PSNow released recently (Resi, Bioshock, Batman), so I bought a subscription and now I'm playing through all the Arkham games. Now I'm on origins, which is the only one I hadn't played before. Origins is gooooood, like way better than City. Did we ever get an official reason why it wasn't included in this collection?

Moreche

Played Asylum for a few hours and it looks fantastic but the frame rate isn't good and there's no reason it shouldn't be. Hard to recommend until its fixed similar to Bioshock Collection.

tornjaw

Played Asylum for a few hours and it looks fantastic but the frame rate isn't good and there's no reason it shouldn't be. Hard to recommend until its fixed similar to Bioshock Collection.

I have been debating which of these two to get. I have played and enjoyed all of the Batman and Bioshock games but I've heard there are issues with both so here's the question: Batman or Bioshock or wait until they are fixed and/or discounted?

Schlorgan

I have been debating which of these two to get. I have played and enjoyed all of the Batman and Bioshock games but I've heard there are issues with both so here's the question: Batman or Bioshock or wait until they are fixed and/or discounted?

Bioshock's problems aren't with performance. They run at a pretty consistent 60fps. It does have some issues with audio though.

I feel like a lot of PS4 versions of games available on PSNow released recently (Resi, Bioshock, Batman), so I bought a subscription and now I'm playing through all the Arkham games. Now I'm on origins, which is the only one I hadn't played before. Origins is gooooood, like way better than City. Did we ever get an official reason why it wasn't included in this collection?

It's a bit of a red-headed stepchild because Rocksteady didn't develop it. This is funny to me because I enjoyed Origins much more than Tankham Knight.

It's a bit of a red-headed stepchild because Rocksteady didn't develop it. This is funny to me because I enjoyed Origins much more than Tankham Knight.
I'm thinking it's a nice mix of Arkham Knight and City for me. City's story was too disconnected and ridiculous for me, while Knight obviously has its own problems mainly in the gameplay department. You can tell how Origins is different from the others, but it's a really nice change of pace and it would have been a great thing to add to the collection. Maybe they didn't want to bother with multiplayer?

I will say though that City and Origins do complement each other nicely, even though I was disappointed with City's weird Hugo Strange and League of Shadows stuff, it would be lame if we never got a game with all the bigger Batman personalities.

I've now played approx 40% of Asylum on PS4 and not a single time the performance was distracting. The combat is smooth and there's no input lag at all. Only minor framedrops I've encountered where while running inside. I guess I'm just having a too great time with the game to notice and so far it's even better than I remembered. Also really looking forward to starting City already.

Finished my playthrough of Arkham Asylum. The game looks great and it was definitely worth a replay. Couldn't believe how easy it was this time around because the combat is so simple compared to the later games. Upon starting Arkham City, I'm having a harder time noticing the graphical leap unlike Asylum which was immediately apparent.

Just finished Asylum. After playing a little more deeply into the game I realized this stutter is a bit different from what I experienced with the PC version back in the day. Other than the frame rate issues and the cutscene's graphical disparity with the original AA remastered looks great.

I started Arkham City and immediately noticed the frame rate jump up to what appears to be a fairly consistent 60fps. It was actually kind of jarring going from AA's frame rate to AC's. Anyways, I was almost immediately reminded of the disdain I eventually grew to have of Arkham City. I don't mean the game as a whole but rather the city itself. While flying across the city is fun the vast majority of the other stuff you do in the city just isn't (with some of the end game stuff being the exception). Anytime you go indoors AC is top notch and in many ways better than Arkham Asylum.

crushy

Neo Member
First time playing Arkham Asylum, enjoying the game.
except, it has all those great visuals but mostly I have my detective vision on so it gets a bit colorless :)

I've now played approx 40% of Asylum on PS4 and not a single time the performance was distracting. The combat is smooth and there's no input lag at all. Only minor framedrops I've encountered where while running inside. I guess I'm just having a too great time with the game to notice and so far it's even better than I remembered. Also really looking forward to starting City already.
Wait what, it's 60fps?

Garibaldi

I finished up Asylum over the weekend and while it does have some hiccups while running around the corridors it never seems to affect the combat or predator encounters. It's a clear step up from the previous versions visually for me. I just dropped the gamma a touch to make the overall image a little darker. Sound is spot on (especially compared to the mess that is PS4 Bioshock 1), combat is fluid enough on Hard. Texture/model stream in has also been eradicated in the move to UE4. The Bane fight always used to annoy me when he was a low textured mess until the fight began.

It's missing some of the more atmosphere building fog effects I enjoyed on the PC version and obviously the Physx is toned down completely (no flags and very, very little paper blowing about), but compared to the previous console versions it's far superior. The atmosphere and overall tone of the piece is very much still there and the area with the Mansion and Botanical gardens looks great with Wayne tower and the sky box in the background. I'm happy with it so far.

I kicked off City too which seems to run much better when just exploring. No real frame hitching. I've not played much of city, just got through the Iceberg lounge in the museum and so far, so good. Penguin seems a little less detailed than I remember with regards to his skin texturing but that might just be nostalgia clouding the truth.

Edit: Btw this is totally my own personal opinion. I'm not saying it's not got any frame timing issues at all. I'm not that sensitive to that sort thing. But it seems fine to me.

Wait what, it's 60fps?

Nope, not 60fps. Wish it would be. Still I'd say the performance is at least on bar with the previous console versions with improved visuals. I was expecting worse after reading some comments but I'm enjoying Asylum thoroughly and haven't been distracted by the performance. Really interested to see how City will look and run.

I also lowered my brightness setting a bit for the game a I think now it looks great most of the time and has just right amount of darkness.

In my opinion most importantly I haven't experienced a single issue with the performance or frame drops during combat or stealth. That would be distracting. Only minor ones I had were when just running around and didn't mind those at all.

S1kkZ

nx gamer first contact look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSnvr5WXb0

not sure if i should make a new thread.

- massive frame pacing issues on both systems
- cutscenes are not realtime, yet still suffer from frame pacing issue
- asylum jumps between 32-27 fps on ps4, 32-24 on x1
- city runs unlocked but never goes above 33 on x1, on ps4 i can get up to 52 in some areas
- city has also constant stutter + frame pacing issues
- he implies that city might not run on ue4 and still uses ue3 as a directx11 pc port
- missing effects in city

nx gamer first contact look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSnvr5WXb0

not sure if i should make a new thread.

- massive frame pacing issues on both systems
- cutscenes are not realtime, yet still suffer from frame pacing issue
- asylum jumps between 32-27 fps on ps4, 32-24 on x1
- city runs unlocked but never goes above 33 on x1, on ps4 i can get up to 52 in some areas
- city has also constant stutter + frame pacing issues
- he implies that city might not run on ue4 and still uses ue3 as a directx11 pc port
- missing effects in city

I can't even laugh anymore. This is just sad.

RPGCrazied

Take with a grain o salt. This could just be damage control PR and probably amount to nothing. But I found this on the WB forums. Its something I guess?

"Thank you for contacting WB Games Support. The game team is currently investigating various issues reported by the community and we have passed along the details in your report to them as well. An upcoming patch that specifically addresses performance and stability issues is currently in development. We currently do not have an estimate on when this patch will be released but the development team is working to release it as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on the official website and social pages for announcements about updates and other news related to the game."

Top Bottom