• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Return to Arkham – PS3 vs. PS4 Arkham Asylum Graphics Comparison

Yeah, played the games dozens of times, they're pre-rendered but even still the lighting scheme looks better imo. The new one is too 'green' to me.

Oh, I agree I prefer that look. I just think everyone is focused too much on that one capture. The gameplay comparisons are more illuminating.

thelastword

Banned
0odc.png
Why does Gordon look like Croc in the PS3 version? The improvement is noted.

I must be crazy because i'm enjoying the bioshock remaster and this

Or maybe you just have low standard?

It's not a bad thing though, it's actually a perk so you can easily pleased. Don't worry you're not alone. I have low standards as well, I love DA Inquisition and Fallout 4.

Did they switch out the pre-rendered cutscenes with realtime ones? Only the cutscenes look bad, the rest of the game is an obvious improvement. Maybe I'll get this when it's cheap depending on performance.

Looks fine to me, a few ugly characters aside. Framerate is what will determine how soon I get this and at what price. I'll be fine with 30fps if it's stable.

I think they changed batman's mouth and chin to sort of resemble Ben Affleck. At least to me it kind of resembles him. Except they gave him horse teeth

Some parts are significantly improved and the lighting isn't fucked up. I'd like to see a comparison between this and the PC version

Not counting them (awful) bishounen looks, that Gordon comparison shows such a huge loss of character and detail by remodeling him for the PS4 mission. Perfectly tied tie? Flawless down the center sweater? Everything comes off as too clean, too orderly, in a game that's look was anything but.

Like, sure, to some extent the core gameplay is bound to be identical. But you add up enough of these changes to the character models, the textures, the lighting, the overall atmosphere, and you ultimately lose a tremendous part of what made these games what they are.

Not even a $10 purchase for me. I'll stick with the PC/360/PS3 versions.

I think this is the 3rd thread on these remasters where 90% of the complaining is about pre-rendered footage vs realtime.

As others have said repeatedly (and apparently been ignored), the cutscenes in all previous versions were pre-rendered footage using much better models in terms of texture detail, shadows, lighting - it was obvious even when running AA on a high-end PC that they weren't realtime, they looked so much better than the gameplay. In fact playing it a PC it's a bit jarring to jump to a cutscene the differences are so stark. I only wish the PC gameplay was capable of the lighting in the cutscenes.

They could have done a better job matching the styling of the pre-rendered models no doubt, but really people watch the Candyland video past the first 10 seconds. The gameplay graphics are significantly improved IMO.

Look at the added shadows, better lighting, far better texturing here. Yes it's the PS3 version but the PC version just adds higher res and better AA/aniso, it has the same flat lighting and antiquated models.

J3A7Qq5.jpg

9jUnZiT.jpg

g6yALh6.png

Yeah, lack of 60fps is a bummer but there have been substantial graphical upgrades. Swearing off the purchase because non-interactive cutscenes which compromise 1% of your playtime is a little ridiculous.

Once you get outside with the light rain falling it looks fantastic.

The combat on the other hand is so simplistic compared to the later entries that it really feels dated.

Did they switch out the pre-rendered cutscenes with realtime ones? Only the cutscenes look bad, the rest of the game is an obvious improvement. Maybe I'll get this when it's cheap depending on performance.

So that's exactly what they did with the cutscenes which is crazy. If you can get past that the games are noticeably better looking. Unfortunately it seems like performance is a tad shaky at the moment. Despite the current performance issues it seems like a significant amount of work went into these remasters. I've never been a fan of CG cutscenes as they're never not aesthetically jarring so I actually welcome these new in engine cutscenes (especially if it means seeing Batman's alternate costumes in cutscenes).

The gameplay in the first combat section looked really jittery in the remaster footage. I think I would get a headache if I had to look at that for an extended period of time if it stays like that in the challenge maps.

HeelPower

I've been playing the PS4 for a few hours. And while I do notice the better graphics, the stuttering is really annoying to me. Specially since the game is locked at 30. No excuses, it should be smooth as butter.
Abd that's that...

Love Arkham City & Asylum ,but no 60 fps no buy.

Are we sure arkham city is capped at 30fps? Cause it definitely feels like its pushing higher at times. Asylum is smooth but city feels a whole lot smoother for whatever reason.

It could also be i played both of the originals on ps3 so these are huge upgrades in comparison.

Novocaine

A little disappointed that the 60fps isn't there. I've played these games several times now on PC. I don't really feel the need to revisit the game unless it's perfect.

But if any of you have never played Arkham Asylum before you should consider giving it a go, it's one of the best games from last gen.

dreamfall

What the hell happened to Gordon? It's almost like they used a lower res model for the Remaster. What happened to his hair?!

hlhbk

I've played the first hour of Asylum so far. Game looks good. Is it 1 to 1 with how the previous version looks. No, but honestly I don't give a shit. I want to replay these games. Not nitpick comparsion pics online. If you haven't played either of these games before I recommend this version. It's got all the content with better resolution and textures that the ps360 version can't match.

Or go the best route: Get the pc versions.

Did a comparison of Wii U vs. PS4 version of Arkham City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPKoT0WYHI

May change the video orientation and re-upload. Not sure yet.
Nice comparison, thanks.

The early part with catwoman looks a little above 30 actually on the PS4...or perhaps the Wii U ver is just so choppy it looks smooth by comparison. Possible variable frame rate, albeit not close to 60 by any means going by the full video. 

Massive improvement in lighting though, the Wii ver looks completely washed out by comparison.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Do the tattoos on Harley look like decals plastered on skin like in the reveal trailer or blended as in the PS3 version?

All these remasters end up looking like the Star Wars Special Editions: newer special effects very obviously slapped over an aged framework. Instead of the original cohesive artistic design you get some random super high-tech reflections or water effects here and there, the same stiff character models and animation but now their skin is ultra-highly detailed. The original look of the game goes out the window in favour of showing off all the new lighting effects and whatever else they can cram in there.

And it's 30FPS.

KyleCross

In the universe where people compare realtime gameplay? Take a look at the videos, everything outside the pre-rendered cutscenes on the PS3 ver have seen a significant improvement.

People keep saying this. It doesn't matter if its pre-rendered or realtime. They made aspects of the game look worse, therefore it's not good.

SJRB

Gold Member
In the universe where people compare realtime gameplay? Take a look at the videos, everything outside the pre-rendered cutscenes on the PS3 ver have seen a significant improvement.

Then why not use pre-rendered cutscenes in the remaster?

What's the point of realtime cutscenes when the image quality takes a massive [and in this case it truly is a massive] nosedive?

brawly

Cutscenes look atrocious.

But yeah, gameplay is an improvement visually but I ain't buying it with the performance issues
and no Origins

This is a good example of how the remaster ruined jokers under jacket, it looks like a zip up in the remaster.

Yeah. That's so weird. Why did they take time designing a new shirt model when one already existed? It's completely different.

The Gordon shot also has a slightly changed shirt style since the button up is different with it now being exactly straight.

Weird.

All these remasters end up looking like the Star Wars Special Editions: newer special effects very obviously slapped over an aged framework. Instead of the original cohesive artistic design you get some random super high-tech reflections or water effects here and there, the same stiff character models and animation but now their skin is ultra-highly detailed. The original look of the game goes out the window in favour of showing off all the new lighting effects and whatever else they can cram in there.

And it's 30FPS.

Yeah, the lack of consistency makes for a more irksome and less balanced visual look. It's like how Twilight Princess HD *only* improved texture quality, everything else looks like a bunch of flat polygons with high res textures pasted on.

Then why not use pre-rendered cutscenes in the remaster?
Likely in part because they're 720p and compressed to heck, and Arkham City moved to far more realtime cutscenes in the original as well. Their idea was likely to be more consistent with actual gameplay gfx across both titles.

The originals do look better - problem is they look far better than the actual game. I think I'd rather have the aspect of the game I spend 99% of the time in actually show the significant improvement.

SeeThree

I think this is the 3rd thread on these remasters where 90% of the complaining is about pre-rendered footage vs realtime.

Thanks for your posts. I was caught up on pre rendered cut scene screen shots everyone is laughing at. I didn't know when you actually play the game it looks so much better.

KORNdoggy

graphically it looks better. but artistically it looks worse.

i never liked the bulky batman model or his face. but they've now turned him into a fish. still better than what rocksteady did to his face in the latest batman though.

bryanee

Now Im kinda relieved that they didn't do Origins.

This shit is terrible.

I'd actually like to see that, put some much needed colour into the grayest game of all time.

Both AA and AC remasters look much better in gameplay. I wouldn't say this is terrible.

Piichan

Banned
My impression is, only the cutscenes look objectively worse. Gameplay looks better, but it seems like it drastically changes the mood of the original games... I've never played these games, so I'm actually leaning towards getting the original versions now.

KORNdoggy

I've played the first hour of Asylum so far. Game looks good. Is it 1 to 1 with how the previous version looks. No, but honestly I don't give a shit. I want to replay these games. Not nitpick comparsion pics online. If you haven't played either of these games before I recommend this version. It's got all the content with better resolution and textures that the ps360 version can't match.

you would almost think we were in a graphics comparison thread discussing graphics...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

As others have said repeatedly (and apparently been ignored), the cutscenes in all previous versions were pre-rendered footage using much better models in terms of texture detail, shadows, lighting - it was obvious even when running AA on a high-end PC that they weren't realtime, they looked so much better than the gameplay. In fact playing it a PC it's a bit jarring to jump to a cutscene the differences are so stark. I only wish the PC gameplay was capable of the lighting in the cutscenes.

They could have done a better job matching the styling of the pre-rendered models no doubt, but really people watch the Candyland video past the first 10 seconds. The gameplay graphics are significantly improved IMO.

Look at the added shadows, better lighting, far better texturing here. Yes it's the PS3 version but the PC version just adds higher res and better AA/aniso, it has the same flat lighting and antiquated models.

J3A7Qq5.jpg

9jUnZiT.jpg

g6yALh6.png

Yeah, lack of 60fps is a bummer but there have been substantial graphical upgrades. Swearing off the purchase because non-interactive cutscenes which compromise 1% of your playtime is a little ridiculous.
Thank you. Performance is the real issue here, not the upgrade.

People keep saying this. It doesn't matter if its pre-rendered or realtime. They made aspects of the game look worse, therefore it's not good.
The actual game looks significantly worse. So no, no aspect of the game looks worse aside from realtime versions of pre-rendered scenes that look way better than the actual gameplay of the game.

Top Bottom