• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Return to Arkham – PS3 vs. PS4 Arkham Asylum Graphics Comparison

Schlorgan

So there's a lot of talk in the other thread about really bad stuttering in AA, can anyone corroborate that?

You say that, but trust that it would get shat on all the same - this time for being a 'lazy port'.

But Capcom are also only charging $20 for their ports.

Some parts look worse (holy shit at Batman's face lol) but overall it's quite an overhaul. I play this on PC at 60fps so I'm not really happy about 30fps on consoles. I'll wait until it's heavily discounted.

I can definitely see it becoming a pattern after the same happened with Bioshock. Publishers don't think boosting resolution/framerate is enough for PS3->PS4 remasters so they "improve" the textures/lighting as well, but given the whole remaster is being done on a tight budget by a 3rd party dev the art design gets shat on and the game has a cheap look.

Gives them an excuse to sell old games for $50. Not surprised but I am disappointed at how little they seem to care about preserving the look of the original

Dominator

I just started it on XB1, seems totally fine so far. Haven't had any framerate dips and the new graphics looks pretty solid to me. Joker's face is the only thing that looks a little iffy to me.

Only played for 20 minutes but I'll get back to it tonight.

The cutscenes are sort of ruined and Gordon's face is just LOL in that shot, but the game itself looks substantially improved visually, and the atmosphere looks like it's been mostly retained.

This is like the one instance ever where I would have honestly preferred a pea soup filter over the apparently toned down color correction of the remaster. Or at least some more fog

Doubt it. That collection was a goddamn mess through and through, but Batman looks to be OK so far. They are actually improving parts of AA.

I just think it would've been safer and overall a better idea to just port the pc versions

Sure the cutscenes might've been a problem, but it's better than this.

You say that, but trust that it would get shat on all the same - this time for being a 'lazy port'.

Bullshit

1080p/60fps is not a 'lazy port'.

I know you don't think that, but assuming that the population of people that do are on the same level as people that think that this looks like shit is ridiculous.

burgerdog

There's a super easy way to test if the cutscenes are rendered in real time. Use a dlc outfit, if you see it in the cutscene you'll have your answer.

Lt-47

Isn't that exactly what the Naughty Dog ports were?

No, for Uncharted they redid most the textures, tweaked the material of a quite few objects and smoothed out some obviously low poly object. They also tweaked the aiming, added a new difficulty, a photo mode and a few other thing.

It's easily one of the best remaster around.

Schlorgan

No, for Uncharted they redid most the textures, tweaked the material of a quite few objects and smoothed out some obviously low poly object. They also tweaked the aiming, added a new difficulty, a photo mode a few other thing.

It's one of the best remaster around.

Guess it just shows how much more money and care went into those.

Falchion

I can tell it looks better most of the time but every once in a while I like the look of the original better.

makes me think of
oZciH7e.png

LewieP

A more worthwhile comparison would be the original PC versions and the new remaster.

A version on the new consoles should be at least on par with a mid range PC from 2009.

burgerdog

Out of those, the ports that jump out are:

Bioshock: Infinite
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
DMC
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Deadpool
Life is Strange
Shadow Complex Remastered
Gears of War Ultimate Edition.

You forgot one of the best looking open world games this gen. Arkham Knight. It's a super advance version of UE3.

jelly

i never liked the character model aesthetic in these games in the first place. pretty hit or miss.

True, Rocksteady certainly aren't faultless. Their art isn't all that sometimes, particularly characters. The subtle atmosphere seems to have vanished in this remaster.

This is such a disappointment. I'd be all over a proper remaster that doesn't do its best to kill all the atmosphere of the originals.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The very first shot, the intro with close up of Batman's face, huge difference and the original model and lighting scheme looks SOOOOOO much better.

The port definitely seems improved but some of the artistic and lighting changes make it look inferior to the original.

Never did like the look of AA even on pc,i t really looks like an early UE3 game aged poorly imho AC has much better visual aesthetics and graphics then AA, and the remaster looks to inject some much needed colour into the game like AC had. So I give the nod to the remaster this time around and will wait for the AC showdown.

Plus the extra shadows and better IQ with higher res textures do a good job of bringing the game into 2016 era gfx. The shadows alone in some of the scenes enhance the atmosphere.

I will say though, Gordon in the remaster looks shit. Much prefer the original character model.

At this point, I'm just hoping the Arkham games are made BC for the X1 sometime in the future.

Really disappointing to see a lack of care put in this remaster and others.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
At this point, I'm just hoping the Arkham games are made BC for the X1 sometime in the future.

Really disappointing to see a lack of care put in this remaster and others.

Honestly, if they're putting out this remaster, there's a very slim chance the originals will be made BC In the future. BC titles are up to the publisher's discretion. I doubt they'll put the originals up.

BouncyFrag

I'd be fine with the set, including Origins, getting backwards compatible on the Xbone. I already own them and they might get a small performance boost.

The very first shot, the intro with close up of Batman's face, huge difference and the original model and lighting scheme looks SOOOOOO much better.

The port definitely seems improved but some of the artistic and lighting changes make it look inferior to the original.

That's pre-rendered on PS3. Gameplay didn't look as good.

Harmen

Yeah, I gotta agree many cutscenes look significantly less. But during gameplay (so the majority of the time), the PS4 version looks vastly better and now there is barely any difference between cutscenes and gameplay, which makes for, in my opinion, a more coherent experience. I will probably buy these when they are cheap, as I love those games a lot.

I've played the first hour of Asylum so far. Game looks good. Is it 1 to 1 with how the previous version looks. No, but honestly I don't give a shit. I want to replay these games. Not nitpick comparsion pics online. If you haven't played either of these games before I recommend this version. It's got all the content with better resolution and textures that the ps360 version can't match.

Top Bottom