• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst Joker designs

Tetsuya Nomura just released his Joker design, and Jared Leto's Joker reveal was exactly a year and one month ago, so now seems like a pretty decent time to talk about the best and worst designs of everybody's favorite clown.

My favorite:

joker_bruce_timm_style_new_look_by_noahlc-d9tfhn2.png

The TAS artists infamously replaced Joker with an Animaniac for the last few seasons of the show, a move that wasn't well received. So Bruce Timm went back to the drawing board and gave us this fantastic design.

The worst:

About as subtle as a jackhammer. If that isn't enough, he later on uses a knife to give himself a forked tongue.

Anybody who says The Batman's is the worst is wrong.

I'm pretty sure most people are going to say Jared Leto Suicide Squad Joker is the worst.

Anyway, the best is the one from the Arkham games. Perfect look, perfect casting.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Best: DCAU Justice League

Worst: Leto

Don't get me wrong, there have been a lot of bad takes on the Joker, but the Leto Joker is just...ugh.

I'd pick the classic 70's/80's Joker as my favorite, although I did like the reattached face version from the Snyder/Capullo run for sheer creepiness.

FairyD

I actually like the Jared Leto Joker, the aesthetics was appealing to me.

Also the Joker in the animated The Dark Knight Returns was great.

Kibbles

Worst is that one with the giant wacky spiky ass hair, some cartoon version.

Squad would've been better without all the tats and shit.

Lord Fagan

tumblr_lo6xka9QZA1qcay1ao1_500.gif

Best: Mask of the Phantasm

Funny and frightening both turned up to 11.

Leto's Joker is neither funny nor frightening, thus being the worst.

Parch

Best

Worst

7d70bf21176f5979f194f0b46a31fb63.jpg
Yup.
The BTAS design gets bonus points for the voice acting.
The worst is absolutely the worst. The Ledger design raised a few eyebrows at first but it ended up being a knockout performance. The Leto design was pretty much hated from start to finish.

Eidan

Yeah, the original B:TAS Joker design is always the first thing I think of when I think of the Joker. Also an honorable mention to Joker by George Perez.

Brian Bolland
Animated Series
Marshall Rogers

Martha Wayne

I hated Leto's version but I thought the smile tattoo on his hand was way worse than "damaged".

Edit: I love Batman RIP's Joker.

Alienous

Leto's is the absolute worst.

75 years and it took a multi-million dollar movie to do more damage to the character than I've ever seen done.

original.gif

If I was in charge of Warner Bros., and they presented me with that as their intepretation of the Joker, I would have shut production down.

As for best ... I'm not so sure. There was this one figurine that was a good realization of the Joker as a real person, I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: Here we go

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really have a worst, but my favorite (with an asterisk):

trjNHQo.jpg

classic comic book joker is my favorite.

batman-primer-laughing-fish.jpg

Dark Knight design is also a classic.

Feel like The Batman cartoon version where he was top heavy with wild hair was the only one I didn't care for. Don't really like the animated movie ones that are all restrained too, like the red hood movie version.

Leto is a bold look, I felt his mannerisms in the film itself were poor. I2 version is okay, but I feel like Joker should always be in a dress shirt.

EDIT - that young justice one looks awful.

Worst is easily Leto Joker, awful visual design, awful dialog, awful acting. His parts getting cut were the only good thing that the movie did.

Young Justice's is terrible, easily the worst animated one.

People tell me the show was good, but I checked out after I watched the terrible Joker episode and their pitiful Hugo Strange.

Epcott

Best: The Dark Knight Returns suave suit Joker

Worst: The Batman's green deadlocked straight-jacket wearing rasta-Joker.

Temp_User

Ill take Leto's Joker over this one. Just the worst Joker design.

DCAU 'Injustice For All/Wild Card' Joker for the best.

Top Bottom