• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst Joker designs

Avixph

THEBATMANturnaroundJoker.jpg

Question: Is this Joker black?

m_dorian

So many good ones. Hamill's animated and Arkham, Nicholson, Ledger. I liked each one's approach to the character.

Leto's was terribly designed, terribly directed and terribly acted one.

Best is TAS and worst is The Batman. Let is bad but to those dreads and straight jacket are just... No. Not to mention I'm pretty sure his voice was terrible in that show as well.

He only wore the straightjacket in the pilot. They put him back in the tux after that. They made it look more and more like the standard design as the show went on.

His voice is kind of sketchy in season 1, but he grows into it after that. My favorite performance behind Hamill and Ledger.

Question: Is this Joker black?

Apparently.

ShutterMunster

Best
iFhFvBh.jpg

Worst
XOWFRAy.jpg

Honorable Mention
qSLKBu.jpg

Favorite Joker Art
MondoDETECTIVECOMICS_880cover.jpg

JOCK IS GOD

EDIT: Bermejo's Joker and Nolan's bear a striking resemblance but Bermejo's wasn't the inspiration for the film.

Xero

Throw me in with not having a problem with Leto joker. A few wardrobe tweaks and I think it would be great. Thought he acted it fine too. Ape joker is worst though.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's Bermejos Joker. I love that dirty fucker.
60f18c9d8ce3b2acc0308htuyt.jpg

I just realized that Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman's archenemies all heavily use green and purple. When was this decided as the go-to villainy color?

Purple was originally used as a shader for black (grey was harder to make back then), so a lot of villains wearing black colors began being seen as wearing purple, and it became a popular villain color.

There's a lot of artists that draw Joker as wearing a black suit because they believe that's how he was originally supposed to look:

bc69c1617113423af406d442c8426fe2.jpg

The black suit makes sense, but the royal purple, radioactive green, chalk white, and cherry red color palette honestly has become one of the most distinctive things about the character. You can see it in basically all of these designs, even the ones that went way, way off the rails (The Batman's and Leto's).

Nordicus

He only wore the straightjacket in the pilot. They put him back in the tux after that. They made it look more and more like the standard design as the show went on.

His voice is kind of sketchy in season 1, but he grows into it after that. My favorite performance behind Hamill and Ledger.
I much prefer the tux look to the pilot's straitjacket for sure
And I personally really, really liked Kevin Michael Richardson's performance. Very high energy, and could turn it up even higher or tone it down appropriately. He could really do a less refined and less mafia bossy Joker.

velociraptor

The best joker is clearly Heath Ledger's joker.

The worst joker is Leto's.

I don't know why everyone likes Joker in the Batman games - he looks like a skinny chump with a horrible, pointy chin.

As far as animated Jokers go, the one from the animated series is great.

Btas is the best for sure.

Leto's Joker is made for people who aren't fans of or just don't understand the joker. I would take any other version of joker over that try hard crap.

Can somene explain why they like the Joker design from The Batman? All the responses are just "I like it fight me" or "it's good". Like, why the hell do you like it?

The original TAS/Mask of the Phantasm design is the best:
Code:
[img]http://img12.deviantart.net/6a60/i/2016/071/7/c/joker___batman_animated_series___by_amish56-d9ut8zr.jpg[/img]

The Batman Beyond & Justice League redesign is better than the TNBA shit but it still isn't as good as TAS. Too pointy.

Worst is probably Leto. Joker ain't exactly subtle but Leto's was a whole 'nother level of unsubtle.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The best joker is clearly Heath Ledger's joker.

The worst joker is Leto's.

I don't know why everyone likes Joker in the Batman games - he looks like a skinny chump with a horrible, pointy chin.

As far as animated Jokers go, the one from the animated series is great.
In the Arkham games it looks like his jaw will fall off any second.

Eidan

Purple was originally used as a shader for black (grey was harder to make back then), so a lot of villains wearing black colors began being seen as wearing purple, and it became a popular villain color.

There's a lot of artists that draw Joker as wearing a black suit because they believe that's how he was originally supposed to look:

bc69c1617113423af406d442c8426fe2.jpg
Wow, I didn't know that. Really interesting.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I really like Tony Daniel's Thin White Duke of Death... not sure how it's unsubtle.

Best
iFhFvBh.jpg

Worst
XOWFRAy.jpg

Honorable Mention
qSLKBu.jpg

Favorite Joker Art
MondoDETECTIVECOMICS_880cover.jpg

JOCK IS GOD

EDIT: Bermejo's Joker and Nolan's bear a striking resemblance but Bermejo's wasn't the inspiration for the film.

You literally picked everything I was going to post. Jock is fucking mint.

Can somene explain why they like the Joker design from The Batman? All the responses are just "I like it fight me" or "it's good". Like, why the hell do you like it?

I think it manages to pull of the "monster clown" look far more succesfully than most other designs, which usually don't make him look like a clown at all or just go super edgy.

Anyways, it looks great in motion, and most of the pictures posted in here aren't actually representative of how the character looked outside of the first episode.

Bleepey

Best:

959b2c6421dc86824cedf2f896e8f65d7735bbca2f9455d76849d16fe154654b.jpg

Worst:

959b2c6421dc86824cedf2f896e8f65d7735bbca2f9455d76849d16fe154654b.jpg

Am i doing it right? I might be the only one but I really like Suicide Squad Joker. Damaged is a bit try hard but other than that I think it's great.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
TAS obviously, it will forever be the first thing I see in my head when someone mentions the joker. It's the default look for him.

I actually really like gotham's take on him, I know it's polarizing but I thought they nailed it.

Worst is the batman. Absolutely dreadful design.

Skux

For me it's Arkham for best. It straddles the line between the TAS suit which is too clean, and the Ledger joker which is too crazy.

hobozero

Should be able to count the original inspiration for the character:

Conrad Veidt in The Man Who Laughs:
175px-The-Man-Who-Laughs-%281928%29-Gwynplaine.png

Always made me think Martin Short would make a badass Joker

a916

If we're separating the design and the performance, then Leto's Joker does some really nice things... the slick short hair reminds me of the Greg Capullo run.

The damaged tattoo is meh but it does a few things right... it's very unsettling and creepy.

Young Justice has nothing going for it and The Batman looks awful. It looks more like Lobo than Joker... The Batman takes the cake...

Pizza

Idk if I can choose a favorite joker

However this joker is terribad. All those movie were (sorry, hit me) it was soooo edgy and REAL that the joker had to be like a dirty drifter dude to work

Also no one in those movies could have a normal voice, they all had to do something fucking funny. Heath was all jump scares and scar jokes and idk. Does less for me than Leto which is saying something. At least Leto was a bad JOKER. Heath joker was barely even recognizeable as the character it was based off of minus the color scheme

HIT ME

Edit: if Leto's joker had a better visual design and the movie wasn't sent through a paper shredder twice and handed to a trailer studio he'd have been fucking sick honestly. The stupid forehead tat even has a canon, in-universe explanation and I felt like he was waaaay more interesting as a "grounded" joker being based off of Instagram drug lords

I have to say, I was expecting more mentions of Animaniacs Joker.

1618451.jpg

Have people warmed up to that design?

Nah, it's just later designs (Titan Joker, Leto Joker, The Batman's Joker) really outdid themselves, to the point where even TellTale's cringey generic grinning goon seems pretty palatable.

Animaniacs Joker was still the worst Joker design that had cropped up at that point in time, from what I remember. I'm sure I'm forgetting some obscure limited run comic books or something, though.

Daingurse

My favorite Joker design is the one from Justice League/Unlimited.

My least favorite is probably Rasta joker from The Batman.

Strimei

Leto Joker is the absolute worst. He looks like a middle aged Marilyn Manson, which is a sad sight to behold.

My favorite is definitely from the animated series, though I'm not sure which one.

4SBlfm2.gif

Personally prefer the second from the left. The last two are also good but something about it puts me off (not in a "that's creepy way", more a "that's just a weird design" way).

Also probably partly because 2nd from the left isn't quite as bulky in the upper body in the way that male characters in the DCAU got as time went on.

Top Bottom