• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best redesign of a classic character

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know when a beloved character returns, but they're looking a little more seasoned than usual? A little more skilled? Older, more experienced? Not every character makes the transition from their debut to their return gracefully, but there are some characters who remain better off for their advancement in time.

My vote goes to Leon S. Kennedy, from Resident Evil 2 to Resident Evil 4.

leon_rpd.jpg
82193f23.png
He goes from rookie cop on his first day on the job to seasoned bioterror vet that serves as the president's bodyguard between RE2 -> RE4. He's out of uniform and has taken up an awesome leather jacket, changing his iconic DiCaprio hairstyle for a slightly more edgy "one bang is longer than the other" design, but he pulls it off in a manner that it looks superior to his old style. His expression is no longer that of a scared but determined young man, but an experienced and rigid combat veteran. His redesign isn't only cosmetic, either - you can see his world experience illuminated in his snarky cynicism, a stark contrast to the boy scout personality we saw him have as a young police officer. I feel his redesign's effectiveness was compounded by his absence from any Resident Evil game between 2 and 4, so the fans eager to see him again got a special treat when he finally reappeared.

What character do you think got a nice overhaul from one game to another?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My vote goes to Leon S. Kennedy, from Resident Evil 2 to Resident Evil 4.

He goes from rookie cop on his first day on the job to seasoned bioterror vet that serves as the president's bodyguard between RE2 -> RE4. He's out of uniform and has taken up an awesome leather jacket, changing his iconic DiCaprio hairstyle for a slightly more edgy "one bang is longer than the other" design, but he pulls it off in a manner that it looks superior to his old style. His redesign isn't only cosmetic, either - you can see his world experience illuminated in his snarky cynicism, a stark contrast to the boy scout personality we saw him have as a young police officer.

What character do you think got a nice overhaul from one game to another?

Yep, you stole my choice.

Claire also got a nice overhaul from RE2/CV (which were chronologically very close, so i won't count them as separate entities here) to Revelations 2. She evolved pretty good as a character and rather than becoming a fighter, became more of a civilian support to help spread awareness, but can still kick major ass if needed.

Femto.

The original Killer Instinct roster in the new KI.

I personally liked Fulgore, Riptor, and Cinder's redesign.

Sephzilla

I liked Scorpion's design in MK9. Not a huge redesign but I thought it was a good improvement.

Dante from Devil May Cry to DmC.

Went from alright to my favorite character design in all of gaming. What a badass

No

Reboot Dante's look is basically the physical embodiment of a creative void. If you would have said DmC Vergil I would have given you a pass, actually. DmC Vergil was pretty cool looking.

The original Killer Instinct roster in the new KI.

I personally liked Fulgore, Riptor, and Cinder's redesign.
Ooooooooo those are awesome too! I love Riptor's new design!

No

Reboot Dante's look is basically the physical embodiment of a creative void. If you would have said DmC Vergil I would have given you a pass, actually. DmC Vergil was pretty cool looking.
I see it as my aesthetic purely realized in its ultimate form and it's AWESOME

DmC Vergil is pretty good! But he's nothing compared to the concentrated king of cool that is DmC Dante!

Soulflarz

Banned
You stole Kennedy from me so hmm.

MGR raiden (which is basically MGS4 raiden) is well above the original, but I'm unsure how much I like his outfit overall.

Dante from Devil May Cry to DmC.

Went from alright to my favorite character design in all of gaming. What a badass
Except old Dante was a badass, the new guy is a douche.

ShinMaruku

juri_han_wallpaper_by_jamesslips.jpg

Now you will be like "She a new character!"

Hear me out. She's a 'dark' Chun Li so in that respect she's a redesing as a new character.

-Hair in buns? Check.
-Fights with lots of kicks? Check
-spiked bracelets? Check
- Wants Ryu bad Check

She fits. :E

Strax

Monkey Island has been going up and down for awhile but I think The Curse Guybrush was a great redesign

evolution_of_guybrush_threepwood.png

Sponge

Banned
Donkey Kong.

Say what you will about Rare's character designs, but his Donkey Kong Country look is so much better than the arcade one.

Whompa02

MGS4 (NOT MGR) Raiden and MGS2 Snake...even though I enjoy their original designs, I really liked the redesigns for the sequels.

StevieWhite

Leon wasn't really "classic" at the time RE4 came out though, right? RE2 was early 98, RE4 was early 05. It's only his second appearance.

It's not so much a redesign as a wardrobe change. I like it... but hey, now I am just getting semantic.

The Killer Instinct redesigns are all great. Especially Fulgore, Spinal, and Maya. I'm also happy with what Capcom has done with Ken, Bison, and Dhalsim in Street Fighter V.

Oddduck

Some people give Rare flack for their character designs, but Nintendo is still using Rare's modern DK design to this very day.

Classic Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr:

DKGameBoy.png
donkey_kong_junior_by_captainjamesman-d3pbby9.png

Modern Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

Group_Art_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_2.png

Son Of D

"The time has come and so have I" says hi.

That's a lyric, not a quote...

Anyway, on to the actual topic at hand:

Soul Calibur 4 Siegfried:

Soul Calibur 5 Siegfried:

From the overdesigned mess of that crystal armour to something that's more slick and suitable for the character.

anthn

Lara Croft:

jiDEjpTl.jpg
zqFYI37l.jpg

Was just in the process of posting this one!

I'm pleased with how Lara Croft looks now. It took her a long time to finally get to a "I've been through some shit" look. If you are raiding tombs, you are going to get roughed up in the process.

OnPoint

I've actually always hated the Leon S Kennedy redesign in 4. He's practically a different character.

I like Pit's redesign from Kid Icarus NES to Smash Bros/Uprising.

Top Bottom