• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best redesign of a classic character

Alucard in Castlevania:

zUXQBvn.jpg
OnDxWpA.png

eSxMQVo.png
Ssxve7l.png

E2INpqn.png
aVhjH8B.png

vAar448.png
dFYNbk7.png

aw beaten, took too long finding the images

Yeah, I thought it was a great redesign when Marvel came out, but apparently he always looked like that in the manga that debuted alongside the first game.

Actually, yeah, you're right. I think the NES game even sports that design in the intro scene, now that you mention it.

Still a better design than the one from the original arcade release, though.

Manu

Guys, the "RE2" picture of Leon in the OP is from Darkside Chronicles.

This is what OG Leon looked like:

re2leon_vidcap1_lg.jpg

So yeah, it is a redesign.

I like the NES version better.
No.... Redesigned Palutena is the best Palutena.

But anyway, I think DmC's Dante and Vergil redesigns actually fit that world quite well, where Dante is the street smarts kid who grew up poor and Vergil is the pompous prick that was raised rich. So their designs fit their personalities, it's just the rest of the story and characters that really blow imo. Mundus is uninteresting (along with all the other villains), and you don't really feel there's any rhyme or reason for what everyone is doing in the story, let alone why demons control humans... In other words it feels like a mess.. Also most character interactions feel dull in the story, and it just feels like a big mess..

DMC3 on the other hand, the designs for Dante and Vergil make a little less sense, but the tongue and cheek nature of the story makes you feel like you're having fun. For this reason the characters are more likeable, and they keep it interesting with action too..

Not sure if this counts but...

latest

44tAD7v.png

While I dig the old-school manga vibe, more recent Kaneko character designs (in this case the protagonist of SMTII) are awesome and unique.

Red Hood

Banned

Well, he was awesome looking to begin with, but now he's much more detailed. Also, if I'm being completely honest, maybe it's a shame they got rid of his masculinity, because I'm convinced during Ocarina of Time
Zelda was actually transformed into a man to trick Ganondorf, not just adopting the appearance of one

Sami+

Sonic CD (1993):
Amy_SonicJam.png

Sonic Adventure (1999):

Current:
latest

Amy's easily got my favorite design in the series. Really nice color palette, distinctive silhouette, and the hammer they introduced in Sonic Adventure (not pictured tho) was a really neat addition to the character.

Sonic himself looks pretty good too now, I like the leaner and more detailed design.

Dante from Devil May Cry to DmC.

Went from alright to my favorite character design in all of gaming. What a badass

I knew this post was coming, but why did it have to be the first post? Sets a horrible tone for the rest of the thread.

my answer would have to be Cyborg Ninja Raiden, who went from the entire fanbase hating on him due to his whining, to pure unfiltered awesome in revengeance.

Amedo310

latest

latest

Ieyasu goes from a wimpy commander who relied a lot on Hondam to one of the most badass characters in the sengoku basara series.

Ralemont

not me
Loved Jaheira's redesign from BG to BG2:

latest
latest

Redesign has a lot more personality and detail, as opposed to "generic hot human (who's supposed to be a half-elf) brunette".

Fbh

I actually liked this redesign of Spyro:

polls_spyro_2509_488720_answer_4_xlarge.gif

wallpaper_the_legend_of_spyro_dawn_of_the_dragon_02.jpg

I still love the original. But as an older version of the character I think the Dawn of the Dragon design works well and looks cool.
And both of them are god tier compared to the Skylanders design

First post should be ashamed of himself.

Ot
maoh_magus_jacky_janus_guile_alf.jpg

don't kill me

No way.

Went from Badass mage to male stripper

Ralemont

not me
new Dante's design is actually pretty sweet, they changed it enough from the old emo shit into something that looks pretty badass:

Its only crime is that it replaced an iconic design for the main character of a series who was well-loved.

I honestly prefer rookie cop Leon over agent Leon.

Samus Aran in her power suit from Metroid 2 and onwards, adding those huge sholders really made her look awesome and unique at the time, even now nothing comes close to that power suit style.

Donkey Kong is too obvious an answer for me so for varieties sake and even greater controversy potential...

uYHFmPG.jpg

Simon and Trevor Belmont
Simon especially benefits from his Mirror of Fate redesign byt tying the classic barbarian look with the red hair of the rather bishonen looking chap from the PS1 days.
Basically I find it the best of both worlds.
Trevor gets a classy coat though I think his original design technically has it as well, except his NES sprite just looked like Simon Belmont so it's less known.

Also from the ever divisive design shifts of B&K Nuts and Bolts...
Jolly Roger as a classy hobo.
I also am growing to like the redesigns of B&K themselves

latest

latest

Ieyasu goes from a wimpy commander who relied a lot on Hondam to one of the most badass characters in the sengoku basara series.

So extreme was this transformation it took me a while to realise it was the same character, Ieyasu the boss.

Feebastic

I knew Donte was coming, but I can't believe he was the first reply. Amazing.

On topic, Paper Mario gets my vote. It's ironic that flattening him made him a more 3-Dimensional character than he ever was beforehand, or since. I suppose the RPG setting necessitates that a bit, but I also think Paper Mario looks way cooler than regular Mario.

Top Bottom