• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best redesign of a classic character

ViolentP

Brawl_Sticker_Pit_(Kid_Icarus).png
latest
XSYuG83.png

Gimme. This is why I am still a gamer, because of designs like these.

As for my contribution? I'll follow you into the maw:

latest

Raonak

Banned
DMC4 dante was awesome, he definitely felt like an adult version of DMC4 dante, cocky as fuck, and really didn't get phased by anything going on around him.

latest

KiraXD

people gonna hate me but i LOVE Clouds newer look...

Original:
ku2UJNP.png

Dissidia (which is almost exactly the same as original with some minor alterations:)
HaqliXr.png

But Kingdom Hearts version is my all time favorite:
q7MiJVr.png

(With Advent children as runner up)
5V2ghdx.png

JediLink

Well, he was awesome looking to begin with, but now he's much more detailed. Also, if I'm being completely honest, maybe it's a shame they got rid of his masculinity, because I'm convinced during Ocarina of Time
Zelda was actually transformed into a man to trick Ganondorf, not just adopting the appearance of one
Well you're wrong. Also wrong because OoT design is better.

pnutboy

I love how Nathan Drake has changed over the course of the series. The redesign for Uncharted 4 looks phenomenal.

373px-Nathan_Drake_Uncharted_render_3.jpg

Uncharted-4-Nathan-Drake.jpg

The new design is so much worse. Original design on left is way better. Same for almost all Nintendo characters (including 80s link as mentioned before).

The new design is by far the better design, but I did like how they had a nod to classic Pit in that anime short.

tumblr_mzryrhSsj61rpcrgko1_500.jpg

I wouldn't mind to see it in game form.

Blues1990

While I always love Mega Man 8 for it's art direction and how beautiful the game looks, I do love Super Smash Bros. take on the Blue Bomber. It's a great recreation of his NES design, and a fairly minimalistic update overall. It's interesting that Rock in this game looks and acts more like an emotionless combat robot, which is not a bad thing to say.

13726008703_fe531d549b_o.gif

That's not to say that he hasn't lost his cuteness, though.

I have to be honest I hated that re-design.

Made him a generic looking bulky nonsense character that belongs in the WarCraft universe.

In the original he looked like a real rebel soldier dude.

Doesn't really help that the SC2 story is a rehash of every other Blizzard story either and even worse was told in a completely trash way but oh well.

butalala

I have to be honest I hated that re-design.

Made him a generic looking bulky nonsense character that belongs in the WarCraft universe.

In the original he looked like a real rebel soldier dude.

Doesn't really help that the SC2 story is a rehash of every other Blizzard story either and even worse was told in a completely trash way but oh well.

Yeah, they really could have done a better job of connecting SC2 Raynor's look to SC1 Raynor.

Is there a good shot of his design in VIII? I haven't kept in track with the game for a while heh, but there doesn't seem to be little to nothing beside the trailer.

Yeah, the trailer is the only source.

No hoodie itself is a huge improvement.

Smash is generally great for character redesigns.

Take a look at what they did to Roy
Yeah, it's pretty great except for that weird clothing in his legs.

zoukka

It's like Nomura forgot everything he knew about drawing. This version of Cloud looks like it's made of wax and about to melt. The expression, posing and the complete breakdown of his anatomy reflect it too.

What a sad piece of work.

Dang, Witcher 3 Geralt is like 78% more approachable.

And 67% more generic and forgettable.

ash_ag

people gonna hate me but i LOVE Clouds newer look...

Original:
ku2UJNP.png

Dissidia (which is almost exactly the same as original with some minor alterations:)
http://i.imgur.com/HaqliXr.png[/]

But Kingdom Hearts version is my all time favorite:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/q7MiJVr.png[/]

(With Advent children as runner up)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5V2ghdx.png[/][/QUOTE]

I understand the choices behind some of the designs, but I don't think any of them does a particularly good job in depicting Cloud in his original form. His design in the new Dissidia is where it's at.

[quote][img]http://i.imgur.com/nWc7kOq.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Impa in Hyrule Warriors looks pretty amazing. Actually I think I prefer the HW designs of pretty much all of the classic Zelda characters. Many of the original characters suck though (Cia most of all).

Geralt isn't a "classic character", but oh well, most definitely an improvement. He looks atrocious in TW1, lol.

I am convinced people posting DmC's Dante are trolling. I am not a fan of the original Dante at all but ewwww.

All of the Cloud redesigns are garbage. Tifa is an improvement in Advent Children though.

Loved Jaheira's redesign from BG to BG2:

latest
latest

Redesign has a lot more personality and detail, as opposed to "generic hot human (who's supposed to be a half-elf) brunette".

Weren't a lot of the BG1 portraits inspired from real life people related to then-Bioware developers?

What I learned most from this thread is that taking an existing character and putting them in a leather jacket with a fur turn-down collar = great redesign.

I personally liked the Lara Croft design from Legend/Anniversary. It captured the spirit of the original without the angularity and big headed awkwardness of the TR 1-3 renders. I felt like the 2012 reboot messed up by ditching the high cheekbones and wide set almond shaped eyes. I know they were shooting for more "realism", but they threw the baby out with the bathwater and dropped some defining characteristics that made her more than just your average young model with a tank top and some dirt on her face.

uo7cNj2.png

For being such a simple change, this redesign really makes Dhalsim feel more "believable" as a person than he ever did before.

Wow I really prefer old Pit and Palutena, didn't know they looked like that.

My answers are the typical Killer Instinct and MKX, they did an amazing job.

tumblr_nq337nDFiw1sllz88o1_400.jpg

Really it wasn't gonna be hard to top Sora's KH1 outfit. I'm starting to really like his new look for KH3. The plaid is hilarious.

Kalentan

If I remember right, Witcher 1 Geralt's more accurate to the book look where they shouldn't really look approachable. CDPR took more liberties with W2 and W3.

Honestly I'm happy they took liberties. Geralt in Witcher 1 is just... horrible looking. Like it looks like his eyes are ready to pop out at any second.

$h@d0w

Lara they turned herinto the 90s sex toy into a modern independant strong woman who fears nothing

you go gurl!

TriAceJP

Not as good as this IMO:

lara_croft___tomb_raider_underworld_by_james__c-d6olw5r.png

TR Underworld Lara was the best Lara IMO.

Won't hide it, the PS2 trilogy was my favourite of all TR games.

New series is trash to me.

I thought the new game was great, but yeah man that trilogy was awesome. I'm with you.

Top Bottom