• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best redesign of a classic character

Dice//

Banned
tumblr_nq337nDFiw1sllz88o1_400.jpg

Really it wasn't gonna be hard to top Sora's KH1 outfit. I'm starting to really like his new look for KH3. The plaid is hilarious.

I quite like the hair evolution...

KH1 - Natural
KH2 - FROSTED TIPS
KH3 - Ombre (look it up)

Fucking amazing redesign that hit all the right spots.
blazkowicz_wolfenstein_3D_TNO.jpg

This to me is mind blowing. Like its incredible how they managed to still capture the feel of that tiny pixelated character so well while adding this huge amount of detail. Amazing work by whoever did at Machinegames did this

Yeah they really nailed the generic marine look.... :p

Not hating on BJ but come on guys... xD

I mean sure he's "generic marine" as he should be but idk its just something about the design. Its fucking good and isnt forgettable. There a million marine dudes whose faces all blend together but the new BJ sticks out.

Spman2099

So, my first instinct with BJ is to agree and say that they nailed it. However, I think I am also being influenced by how much I love the character in that actual game...

On the other hand, Alucard, Raiden, Strider, and Dhalsim all had undeniably (in my opinion) fantastic redesigns.

Not exactly a redesign, but I really like how Geralt has kept the same recognisable likeness over the years as CDPR's graphical tech has improved:

Well, Witcher 1 Geralt is kind of a monster, but the basic facial structure carried over, and then 2 and 3's Geralt's look like the same guy but rendered at different qualities. By comparison, it seems like Naughty Dog really doesn't care about likenesses. When they improve their graphical tech they just redesign their characters into totally different people:

And that's comparing the U4 cast to the U3 cast, who already didn't look quite right.

Jharp

Doom 3 had some bad redesigns, but some rad ones. The new Doomguy, the new Cacodemon, and the new shotgun were all kind of lame, but then, these were badass:
699.jpg
latest

Imp

lostsoul.gif
lost_souls.jpg

Lost Soul

latest
Y9BKSc.jpg

Pinky

doom+screen09.png
a3b7170bb1e06036ed05712abd6562f5.jpg

The unfinished Spider Mastermind that never got into the game looked great

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Revelations 2 Claire is best Claire.
tumblr_nli9lm8kyU1t66aclo1_500.png
This one right here.

Just perfect.
This right here, really wish this was her default outfit.

Warrior of Light, Dissidia

3sylOc2.png

Say what you will about Nomura, but I think he did a pretty great job of translating that sprite into a modern FF design.
Same could be said about this. The default WoL design is pretty nice but this is simply amazing. Translates that tiny red sprite into a modern FF character perfectly.

Not exactly a redesign, but I really like how Geralt has kept the same recognisable likeness over the years as CDPR's graphical tech has improved:

Well, Witcher 1 Geralt is kind of a monster, but the basic facial structure carried over, and then 2 and 3's Geralt's look like the same guy but rendered at different qualities. By comparison, it seems like Naughty Dog really doesn't care about likenesses. When they improve their graphical tech they just redesign their characters into totally different people:

And that's comparing the U4 cast to the U3 cast, who already didn't look quite right.
Not different people, cartoonish versions tethered to that tech that now look much more human and realistic.

I mean sure he's "generic marine" as he should be but idk its just something about the design. Its fucking good and isnt forgettable. There a million marine dudes whose faces all blend together but the new BJ sticks out.

I think the design works just fine. He is suppose to look German with his blonde hair and blue eyes and overly square jawed facial features. That has always been part of his design, as it allows him to blend in with Nazi soldiers. It's the same design trait they use for Captain America.

Ralemont

not me
Anything is better than Rev 2 Claire. Darkside Chronicles is the best, though.

tumblr_mndupo6GAB1rqgklbo1_500.gif

DS > Code: Veronica > RE2 > Degeneration > random deviant art scribbles > Rev 2

Manu

Anything is better than Rev 2 Claire. Darkside Chronicles is the best, though.

tumblr_mndupo6GAB1rqgklbo1_500.gif

DS > Code: Veronica > RE2 > Degeneration > random deviant art scribbles > Rev 2

Funny you mention this, because Rev 2 Claire looks exactly like an aged Darkside Chronicles Claire to me.

Claire, age 19

resident_evil_revelations_2___claire_redfield_by_lemon100-d8pzy2y.png

Claire, age 32

Undeniably the same woman. Just older.

And I thought we were over that stupid Tobey Maguire thing.

Ralemont

not me
Come on.

It's similar enough to look like the same character with an updated look. It's not like they gave her a double chin.

Sure. I mean it's similar enough for a redesign, for example RE2 > Code: Veronica. I just think the changes made in the redesign are bad.

And I know people are sick of it because it took over every fucking Rev 2 thread, but she really does have a similar facial structure to Tobey. Like, you'd absolutely believe they were twins.

And if we're counting voice losing Alyson Court just made it feel even less like Claire, even if Hillis did a fine job in her own right.

bengraven

This thread reminds me that, as a fan of RE1-3, I really need to try out the later games.

I miss Chris, Jill, Claire, etc.

Gaffi

god i loved PoP 2008, im not alone right? that game was fucking beautiful... i want more water colored Nolan North Prince.

Deserves a sequel so bad. The original ending before the dlc is still one of my favorites. Nolan North makes a very likable rogue.

Donkey Kong is too obvious an answer for me so for varieties sake and even greater controversy potential...

uYHFmPG.jpg

Simon and Trevor Belmont
Simon especially benefits from his Mirror of Fate redesign byt tying the classic barbarian look with the red hair of the rather bishonen looking chap from the PS1 days.
Basically I find it the best of both worlds.
Trevor gets a classy coat though I think his original design technically has it as well, except his NES sprite just looked like Simon Belmont so it's less known.

Also from the ever divisive design shifts of B&K Nuts and Bolts...

Jolly Roger as a classy hobo.
I also am growing to like the redesigns of B&K themselves

So extreme was this transformation it took me a while to realise it was the same character, Ieyasu the boss.

Lords of Shadow 2 was shit but my God were the designs for Mirror of Fate amazing.

Right answer, wrong redesign.

REmake Jill (and her RE3 version) is seriously one of the best character designs in gaming. I guess I'm a fan of RE designs in general - but Leon and younger Jill are top tier. Chris fared much better than Jill in RE5, though. Although her RE5 self is still leagues above her Revelations design.

She looks like a Heroin junkie in RE1, i'll never understand peoples like for that design. The fact her face based on a real beautiful woman is even worse, they took a beautiful tempate and then fucked it up.

Top Bottom